JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags D.I.D. , Dr. Phil , false memory syndrome , Judy Byington , mind control , mpd , multiple personalities , recovered memory therapy , satanic ritual abuse

Old 11th November 2012, 01:20 PM   #721
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I've reported her review to Amazon, pointing out (in the few characters they give you to post an explanation for why you're reporting something) that her comments are libellous and that should someone sue, they would be liable as the host of those comments.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 01:45 PM   #722
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Ahhhh, Stephen Colbert

His style is very effective and worthy of emulation, and those DID therapists are such an easy target as all buffoons tend to be.

"The Onion" seems to do this type of news story well, any interest with them ?
It's much more fun when sisters are doing it for themselves. Felicity just leaves the damned door open for fun sometimes. She posted that she and Judy had "scruples". My response?

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:28:14 PM PST
Last edited by you 5 seconds ago
CritThink says:
FLee (Pat Goodwin) you don't mind if I call you Flee, honey, do you? Just 'tween us girls and all.

You wrote "We have scruples - wow - what a concept!!!!" You have scruples in stock? That's funny I looked for them on your website where you sell the $16.99 flip flops to victims of DID therapy. I would expect you to stock them right between the "sippy cup" and the "magnet." Maybe you haven't had a chance to put them up with all the posting you've been doing? I'm excited! I have plenty of my own, but I'd like to put some in my purse and carry them around. Never know when someone will be in need. How much will you be selling them for, anyway?

http://tinyurl.com/af7bfyz

See how easy it can be?

Last edited by Altus; 11th November 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 02:31 PM   #723
Roma
Master Poster

[quote=Altus;8762934]FLee (Pat Goodwin) you don't mind if I call you Flee, honey, do you? Just 'tween us girls and all.
QUOTE]

Oh sooo easy Altus, maybe you should tell them that being diagnosed with DID adds ten pounds.
(you can put up very silly yet professional looking fake statistics, they'll never know the difference)

Have fun

Last edited by Roma; 11th November 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 02:56 PM   #724
cosmicaug
Muse

Originally Posted by Altus View Post
FLee (Pat Goodwin) you don't mind if I call you Flee, honey, do you? Just 'tween us girls and all.

Oh sooo easy Altus, maybe you should tell them that being diagnosed with DID adds ten pounds.
(you can put up very silly yet professional looking fake statistics, they'll never know the difference)

Have fun
You could always try something along this vein:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM

Of course, I am kidding. I think the current approach of asking questions and waiting for answers which will never come (because Judy does not have good answers) and letting Judy (and her acolytes) demolish her own credibility is the best one and the most likely to inform a few.
cosmicaug is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:11 PM   #725
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
I think the current approach of asking questions and waiting for answers which will never come (because Judy does not have good answers) and letting Judy (and her acolytes) demolish her own credibility is the best one and the most likely to inform a few.
I agree. I don't think that taking the mickey will accomplish anything. I certainly can't see it winning over anybody who could potentially be duped by the book or harmed by the "therapy". Facts and honest questions might, however.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 03:42 PM   #726
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I agree. I don't think that taking the mickey will accomplish anything. I certainly can't see it winning over anybody who could potentially be duped by the book or harmed by the "therapy". Facts and honest questions might, however.
I just find humor on occasion to be more productive than all out lighting into someone. The net effect of all the posters over there is kinda nice, though. Byington and Felicity stand alone in their "it's true because I say" so logic.
Old 11th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #727
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

I'm not saying have a go at anyone, either.

I'd say that the model for this kind of thing should be Robert Lancaster and stopsylvia.com. Just present the evidence.
Old 11th November 2012, 03:49 PM   #728
Strawberry
Critical Thinker

Hope this doesn't sound depressing, but I don't think anyone will change their mind as a result of Amazon reviews. I do think that some of the genuinely deluded would have their delusions confirmed if the Amazon reviews consisted of a whole pile of unchallenged gushing about the bravery of the author and her victim/patient.

To that extent I think its important that you continue to challenge them, at least you're giving the victims of false memory syndrome the opportunity to see that there is room for doubt. Whether they take that opportunity or not is another matter.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:05 PM   #729
Dismember
Thinker

I did a Google search not expecting to find much of anything, but Kathleen Shea's disappearance is still being discussed by residents of Tyrone.

Websleuths has an ongoing thread about her, and in June a poster mentioned Shea's inclusion in 22 Faces.

Here's another interesting page with some basic facts about her and her disappearance, and a computer enhanced photo showing what she might look like today: http://www.forthelost.org/kshea.html

As far as I know, Kathleen's family has no knowledge of Judy Byington, Jenny Hill, or Twenty-Two Faces, and her father is still searching for her. My heart goes out to that family. How horrible would it be for them get wind of Judy's delusional babbling

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the references to Kathleen Shea in Twenty-Two Faces might be pivotal in getting the Utah AG's attention, for those inclined to notify them. I'm really bad at that sort of thing or I'd send them an email myself.

ETA: Apparently Kathy's father passed away but before he died, he had the digitally enhanced photo made. Can't even imagine what it must be like to spend the rest of your life looking for your missing kid. It angers me that Judy Byington's trying to cash in on Kathy Shea's disappearance.

Last edited by Dismember; 11th November 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Dismember is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 04:14 PM   #730
Craig B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Yes, I see he was right to be afraid of you at the deposition. A person with poor impulse control would probably try to punch him or worse. In fact, I suspect that during depositions in the past, plaintiffs have had to be restrained from disemboweling him and strangling him with his own intestines.
For another nasty Colin Ross, who in the end took his own life because he DID believe the crap he spouted, see the sympathetic notice in the pro-Nazi website Metapedia at http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Colin_Ross. As soon as I saw the name in this thread, I was struck by the precedent. I apologise to all the good and decent people named Colin Ross, of whom there must be very many.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 07:30 PM   #731
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dismember View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the references to Kathleen Shea in Twenty-Two Faces might be pivotal in getting the Utah AG's attention, for those inclined to notify them. I'm really bad at that sort of thing or I'd send them an email myself.
Actually, a case has been opened by the licensing office re: Judy's practicing without a license. Doug also guided them to the AG's office and the fact the the office issued a statement denying any connection to Byington.

The more people who file a complaint, the better chance there is that something will be done about this. You don't have to live in Utah and the form is real simple to fill out online. http://www.dopl.utah.gov/investigations/complaint.html

Case#: 62402

Would be such win to get this woman and her harmful ways off the streets.

She uses her URL in any news story. She has not had a licence in 10 years and yet you see a statement like this on her site...scroll down a bit. How many more Jennys is she harming? http://22faces.com/contact/

She is also holding a seminar for which she is charging $50 on November 17th http://www.survivorship.org/webinars.html

And she admitted to doing a therapy session with Hill (forward to 15:38) http://kcpw.org/blog/cityviews/2012-...ts-and-belles/
It would be helpful to cite specifics in the complaint.

When enough people complained a "life coach" in UT got slapped with a felony charge. What Judy is doing is so much more harmful than life-coaching. But nothing will be done if people don't complain. They only act on the complaints they receive...the more they get for a case, the more likely it is to get attention. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6...ty.html?pg=all

Last edited by Altus; 11th November 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Altus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #732
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
You have to check out this idiotic new comment on Process.org related to the Dr. Phil letter. It's written by an idiot named Nick Kennedy:

http://www.process.org/discept/2012/...nace/#comments

russ hook November 6, 2012 3:33 pm

To the supreme IDIOTS who commend Mr. Jew Mesner for trying to suppress very crucial information about the horrors of trauma-based MK Ultra mind CONtrol….SHAME ON YOU, for either being so IGNORANT, and SHAME ON YOU MORE for being COMPLICIT in this cover-up! My first concern was, why is this JEW so concerned about not having this story aired on national TV? WHAT IS HE SO AFRAID OF???? WHY IS HE GOING TO SO MUCH TROUBLE??? And most importatntly, WHO IS HE TRYING TO PROTECT??? Is it b/c the horror was perpetrated by a JEW? Dr. GreenBAUM? When the truth comes out that many JEWS were responsible for millions of deaths before, during, and esp. AFTER WW2, will the idiot fringe jump on the band wagon, or not believe it b/c it goes against their life-long hollowHOAX programming? MK Ultra is rampant, and I have met 2 victims myself…PERSONALLY.
One victim was abused at Bnai Brth in Hamilton, Ont. And satanic ritual abuse goes hand in hand with MK. The other victim was SRAed when he was a child by the Priminister of CanaDUH P.E. Trudeau, a known homosexual/Jesuit. It’s WAKEY WAKEY time idiots!
Okay you have a good point Squeegee Beckenheim, with comments like the one above those DID people are showing themselves to be complete and embarrassing fools to anyone who may be in their own camp.
We will present intelligent arguments and ask valid questions that can help people understand.

As for the idiots: just let them talk and they'll dig themselves right into their own graves

Last edited by Roma; 11th November 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Roma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 08:16 AM   #733
Altus
Critical Thinker

And hot of the press from today's headlines! A couple of Judy's ISSTD buddies http://www.isst-d.org/annual_confere...9Pre-Con-4.pdf have a fourth lawsuit against them. I so hope this goes to trial and brings Mark Schwartz and Richard's little "Internal Family Systems" dangerous therapy to light. This could be the case that cracks the ISSTD...Judy's little playground.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...alleges-abuse/

Last edited by Altus; 12th November 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:35 AM   #734
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I am concerned that alters are being reintegrated through therapy and denied the chance to live full and productive lives. It's tragic.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 09:39 AM   #735
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I am concerned that alters are being reintegrated through therapy and denied the chance to live full and productive lives. It's tragic.
Hmmm, could be a lawsuit there (just kidding)

and I should have said valid arguments and intelligent questions.

Also Squeegee, Doug and I are familiar with the way news editors drop stories like hot potatos when the threat or even casual mention of a lawsuit is thrown their way. This is something Dr. Colin Ross does every single time his name is mentioned in any way by someone who is not sufficiently reverent to him or tells anyone about his malpractice lawsuits. You won't find mention of those on his wikipedia website, he immediately removes that information.

So have you heard back from Amazon ?

Last edited by Roma; 12th November 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:28 AM   #736
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

Also Squeegee, Doug and I are familiar with the way news editors drop stories like hot potatos when the threat or even casual mention of a lawsuit is thrown their way. This is something Dr. Colin Ross does every single time his name is mentioned in any way by someone who is not sufficiently reverent to him or tells anyone about his malpractice lawsuits. You won't find mention of those on his wikipedia website, he immediately removes that information.

So have you heard back from Amazon ?
Nope, and the review is still up there.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:46 AM   #737
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Nope, and the review is still up there.
I really don't think Amazon cares. They could come up with a system for valid reviewing but the Wild West of anything goes creates more traffic for them. Felicity is not there to give rational reviews. She is there to attract folks to her website. The content of her stuff is almost irrelevant---and some of it is just "I know you are but what am I?" juvenile drivel. She just posts and posts to reach anyone who might happen on the site who might think they are DID. Her graphic for her site appears on the right of postings now. It's no budget marketing http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile..._cr_rev_detpdp
Old 12th November 2012, 11:19 AM   #738
Roma
Master Poster

From Felicity Lee's review "facts":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile..._cr_rev_detpdp

Fact:
Those who die are never able to tell their story.

Felicity Lee is completey correct with that fact if she is referring to all of the people who never survived their horrible MPD/DID recovered memory "therapy".

The only "stats" I have to show how may DID patients that would be come from one of Colin Ross' books when he writes that of the MPD/DID patients who become suicidal 1 in 4 of them die.
Of course since all MPD/DID patients become suicidal then 1 in 4 MPD/DID patients die.

*Please don't consider any "statistics" Ross writes are reliable.

Last edited by Roma; 12th November 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #739
douglas mesner
Thinker

Beyond angry (from Facebook):

Doug Mesner posted toKimberly Nelson - ABC 4
Saturday at 16:01 ·

Nelson, you failed as a journalist. You failed to check your facts, you've failed to correct your errors, and you failed to even approach the story with anything approaching responsible journalistic objectivity as you ignored ever fact laid out before you in advance. http://dysgenicsreport.blogspot.com/...elson-new.html
Dysgenics Report: Open letter to Kimberly Nelson, News Anchor ABC 4, UT regarding the scheduled airi
dysgenicsreport.blogspot.com
Like · · Share

ABC 4 Salt Lake City Doug, we have received all of your messages. Please stop spamming this page with the same link or we will have to remove your access to posting on this page. The repetitive posting and emailing is bordering on harassment and will not be tolerated.

about an hour ago · Like
Doug Mesner You have received all of my messages, yet this is the first time you've condescended to reply to a single one. I would have never had to post the link, which provides all the information you would have needed to correct a horribly negligent and irresponsible (not to mention outright delusional) report, more than once if I had ever received a single reply. Now you accuse me of "harassment" and "spamming"? Did you bother to read my messages? Do you have nothing to say about the very straight-forward criticisms presented there? Does ABC 4 stand by the factual veracity of their reports at any level? Your lack of a direct, sensible reply goes well beyond unacceptable. And now that you've ignored any form of responsibility, all you can do is threaten to ignore me MORE if I should persist with asking the unanswered. Who are you, anyway? Where would my complaints be better directed? Who is competent enough or cares enough that you ran an apparently un-fact-checked report DESPITE the fact that I provided you with a detailed bullet-pointed break-down of many of the story's problems BEFORE you ran it in willful ignorance?
about a minute ago · Like
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #740
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Doug,
What do you really expect? Think they are going to fess up, apologize and run a retraction? Really?

Here's what I expect: More fingers in ears and "La-la-la-LA-LA"

Or, there's another way to go. Write a nice editorial or expose they can publish and make some money off of. You've got the chops and the research. How about a feature piece, a couple thousand words with the highlights? Give them first crack at a discount and then offer it to their competitor.

Nothing sells news like controversy.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:07 PM   #741
douglas mesner
Thinker

Doug,
What do you really expect? Think they are going to fess up, apologize and run a retraction? Really?
Actually, yes. I don't think it's too much to expect some type of, 'we could have and should have explored deeper,' etc, so on...

But you're right. I certainly do need to write something about this. Something that names the names and brings the shame... but there again, I'm sure I'm being naive. There is no shame in this game. I just feel there should be deeper punishments for this kind of negligent reporting.
douglas mesner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 01:51 PM   #742
Dismember
Thinker

For those who haven't seen it already, this thread about the McMartin Preschool is interesting and very relevant: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=74468

The thread was started by Jackie McGauley, a parent whose child attended McMartin.

Altus, I plan to contact the Utah DOPL today and share my concerns about Byington. Thanks for consolidating the necessary links and information. It may seem like a small thing, but I don't feel "qualified" to get involved in things like this unless I can cite specifics, so thanks for making that easy to do
Dismember is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 02:33 PM   #743
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dismember View Post
For those who haven't seen it already, this thread about the McMartin Preschool is interesting and very relevant: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=74468

The thread was started by Jackie McGauley, a parent whose child attended McMartin.

Altus, I plan to contact the Utah DOPL today and share my concerns about Byington. Thanks for consolidating the necessary links and information. It may seem like a small thing, but I don't feel "qualified" to get involved in things like this unless I can cite specifics, so thanks for making that easy to do
That's fantastic!!! Thanks...and many thanks to Doug, who opened the investigation! For anyone not familiar, see post #731 for info on how to take action.

Last edited by Altus; 12th November 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:41 PM   #744
Roma
Master Poster

...Here's what I expect: More fingers in ears and "La-la-la-LA-LA"

That's very close to what my second lawyer Harvey Pollock did when, after getting his $5,000. legal retainer from me, I tried to explain that the "experts" he wanted me to use were actually people that worked with the Dr.Colin Ross whom I was trying to sue.
I tried to tell Harvey that the "experts" he wanted me to use had been trained by Ross and they were also using his "therapeutic" techniques which I would expect my lawyer to argue in court were gross medical malpractice. I tried to explain to this lawyer, one of the most expensive and well known in the city where I live, that recoverd memory therapy was fraud.
After trying for about five minutes to get Harvey to listen to me he suddenly put his hands over his ears like a little child while repeatedly and loudly saying "I don't want to know! I don't want to know!"

Shortly afterward Harvey walked me over to a table by his office door and put his hand on top of one of the foot high piles of manila folders he had on top of it. He said to me: "These are important, these are all recovered memory cases". Okay so there was an obvious conflict of interest problem there, he was one of the lawyers representing the Aboriginal residential school class action lawsuit. If he listened to me then he would have "knowledge" of the fraud, okay, I get it. Then before I left he told me that he was going to contact all of my litigation financial supporters and warn them that I was a prostitute and heroine addict (that would be a lie). Okay I got that too, the guy was a ********** ***hole. He kept the $5,000. and then made a fortune off that class action lawsuit.
I went on to find lawyer number three......eventually all of the time it took me to raise more money took it's toll, and that third lawyer was so bad that the Manitoba Law Society forced him to give me back all of my money and give me an apology for causing my "viable lawsuit" against Dr.Colin Ross to be dismissd due to delay (my lawsuit against Ross dragged on for eleven years through the legal system). Then I took that $5,000. returned legal retainer over to my lawyer number four to have the court awarded costs (something like a quarter million dollars or something like that I was supposed to pay Ross) removed. The Manitoba Law Society helped me by paying my lawyer number four about $25,000. to represent me in that appeal, which was successful, at least I didn't have to pay Colin Ross his "costs". Geeez.

Anyhooo, Marplots I just wanted to say that the sight of a sixty year-old lawyer putting his hands over his ears and yelling "I don't want to know!" will always be something that makes my eyes roll La-la-la-la!!

Last edited by Roma; 12th November 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:55 PM   #745
douglas mesner
Thinker

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:00 PM
To: Salt Lake TV Webmaster
Subject: A Very Simple Message

I fear that in composing this email that I am addressing the rather
confused and seemingly unintelligent person at the other end of the
ABC 4 Facebook page where I originally posted my concerns. I'll try to
make this as simple as possible:
BEFORE Kimberly Nelson ran her "22 Faces" story, I sent her and your
station a bullet-pointed breakdown of discrepancies with the story:
http://dysgenicsreport.blogspot.com/...to-kimberly-ne
lson-new.html I want to know why NONE of the concerns in the open
letter were addressed and seem not to have even been considered. The
simple-minded reply I received on Facebook was only: "We disagree with
your statements." The question is, WHAT, exactly, do you disagree
with? Is that to say that the concerns outlined in the letter were
followed-up on and found, somehow, to be irrelevant? Or does that mean
they were simply ignored?
Since the airing of your report, the State of Utah has opened an
investigation against Judy Byington for allegedly practicing without a license:
Case#: 62402
http://www.dopl.utah.gov/<http://www.dopl.utah.gov/investigations/comp
laint.html> Another citizen sought to confirm Byington's claim that
she works as a consultant on Satanic Crimes for the Utah Attorney
General's Office. The Utah AG (Assistant AG Craig Barlow) states in no
uncertain terms that Byington has no relationship to them whatsoever.
It is disgraceful that concerned citizens have done the basic
fact-checking that ABC 4 has failed to do. ABC ran the story of an
apparent con.
Further, as could not be comprehended by your person on Facebook, I'm
not interested in your web content. Please forward this, or put me in
contact with, somebody responsible for your television broadcasts.

-- doug mesner

Quoting "Hums, Scott" <scott.hums@abc4.com>:

Thank you for contacting us. I have discussed this story with our
News Director who oversees all news content. ABC 4 stands by the
story as reported. We are not interested in a debate about specific
points but feel that many of the points you make have no relevance to
the story we aired. The story was told from the viewpoints of the
people involved in it. Viewers, including yourself, are free to judge
them accordingly. It is clear you disagree with them and you are
entitled to your opinion.

We appreciate the interest in our story.

Scott Hums
Web Channel Director
KTVX/KUCW Television
2175 West 1700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104-4200
801-975-4405 (voice and fax)
scott.hums@abc4.com

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:40 PM
To: Hums, Scott
Subject: RE: A Very Simple Message

Scott --

Who is this poor excuse of a "News Director"? I should like to contact him or her directly.
I take exception to the idea that I am entitled to my "opinion". My open letter was a letter that gave facts, not opinions. I am being told that ABC 4 is not interested in facts.

To: doug@process.org <doug@process.org>

Your message has been passed along to the News Director, but your unnecessary hostility is unlikely to get a response beyond what I outlined earlier.

Thank you,

Scott Hums
Web Channel Director
KTVX/KUCW Television
2175 West 1700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104-4200
801-975-4405 (voice and fax)
scott.hums@abc4.com

To: Hums, Scott <scott.hums@abc4.com>

I doubt "unnecessary hostility" accounts for your station's unnecessary irresponsibility, and nobody so far, in any tone, has managed to get a sensible reply from you, Kimberly Nelson, or your "News" Director so far.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:03 PM   #746
Pacal
Muse

That's very close to what my second lawyer Harvey Pollock did when, after getting his $5,000. legal retainer from me, I tried to explain that the "experts" he wanted me to use were actually people that worked with the Dr.Colin Ross whom I was trying to sue.
I tried to tell Harvey that the "experts" he wanted me to use had been trained by Ross and they were also using his "therapeutic" techniques which I would expect my lawyer to argue in court were gross medical malpractice. I tried to explain to this lawyer, one of the most expensive and well known in the city where I live, that recoverd memory therapy was fraud.
After trying for about five minutes to get Harvey to listen to me he suddenly put his hands over his ears like a little child while repeatedly and loudly saying "I don't want to know! I don't want to know!"

Shortly afterward Harvey walked me over to a table by his office door and put his hand on top of one of the foot high piles of manila folders he had on top of it. He said to me: "These are important, these are all recovered memory cases". Okay so there was an obvious conflict of interest problem there, he was one of the lawyers representing the Aboriginal residential school class action lawsuit. If he listened to me then he would have "knowledge" of the fraud, okay, I get it. Then before I left he told me that he was going to contact all of my litigation financial supporters and warn them that I was a prostitute and heroine addict (that would be a lie). Okay I got that too, the guy was a ********** ***hole. He kept the $5,000. and then made a fortune off that class action lawsuit.
I went on to find lawyer number three......eventually all of the time it took me to raise more money took it's toll, and that third lawyer was so bad that the Manitoba Law Society forced him to give me back all of my money and give me an apology for causing my "viable lawsuit" against Dr.Colin Ross to be dismissd due to delay (my lawsuit against Ross dragged on for eleven years through the legal system). Then I took that $5,000. returned legal retainer over to my lawyer number four to have the court awarded costs (something like a quarter million dollars or something like that I was supposed to pay Ross) removed. The Manitoba Law Society helped me by paying my lawyer number four about $25,000. to represent me in that appeal, which was successful, at least I didn't have to pay Colin Ross his "costs". Geeez.

Anyhooo, Marplots I just wanted to say that the sight of a sixty year-old lawyer putting his hands over his ears and yelling "I don't want to know!" will always be something that makes my eyes roll La-la-la-la!!
I know some people who were involved as victims who sued in the Aboriginal Residential school cases and they at least never forgot the abuse and didn't need a fraudulent "therapist" to "recover" non-existent memories. I'm appalled that it appears possible that "recovered memories" may have been mixed up in the aboriginal residential school scandals. I'm also wondering if like a lot of people involved in these abuse cases that lawyer is confusing "recovered" abuse with actual abuse.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:03 PM   #747
carlitos
"más divertido"

The news director is Larry Parret. I bet if you substitute his full name with a period in between at abc4.com, you'd get right through. If you want the General Manager, try Matt (or Matthew) Jaquint.

Just so you know, the station is in trouble with crappy ratings, so some news story on some book by some lady probably isn't anywhere near their top priority.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 04:08 PM   #748
douglas mesner
Thinker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The news director is Larry Parret. I bet if you substitute his full name with a period in between at abc4.com, you'd get right through. If you want the General Manager, try Matt (or Matthew) Jaquint.

Just so you know, the station is in trouble with crappy ratings, so some news story on some book by some lady probably isn't anywhere near their top priority.
I know. I'm just bitter and disgusted.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:04 PM   #749
joesixpack
Illuminator

What better way to boos ratings than a shocking expose` about the DID and MPD fraud, the outrageous allegations made by the supporters, and the pseudoscience being passed off as fact on an unwitting public? Hell, Doug here has done a ton of the legwork for them already, it'd hardly cost them more'n a coupla' hours in the editing bay to produce a story that would likely amp up viewer interest enough to justify a follow-up story with interviews.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:09 PM   #750
Roma
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
I know some people who were involved as victims who sued in the Aboriginal Residential school cases and they at least never forgot the abuse and didn't need a fraudulent "therapist" to "recover" non-existent memories. I'm appalled that it appears possible that "recovered memories" may have been mixed up in the aboriginal residential school scandals. I'm also wondering if like a lot of people involved in these abuse cases that lawyer is confusing "recovered" abuse with actual abuse.

Pascal there is no question that the people involved knew about recovered memory therapy being a dangerous fraud and that this fraud was being perpetrated upon the true abuse victims of residential schools as well debilitating many otherwise mentally healthy former residents of that horrible system.
There was no confusion on the part of the lawyers who were present at the Legislative Committee Hearing or the therapists (all trained and led by Colin Ross), the only people being confused and doubly victimized were the Aboriginals who had been taken to those residential schools. That is a double tragedy for them and that appalls me and many other people like my friend George Bergen who also spoke at that Legislative Committee Hearing:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/legislature/han..._02/la_02.html

"....Mr. George Bergen (Private Citizen): Thank you, Mr. Chairman. As you can see, my report is fairly lengthy. If I presented the entire report, it would take me over an hour, so I am going to have to take a lot of shortcuts. But I trust that you will read the entire report at some point in time...."

Last edited by Roma; 12th November 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:12 PM   #751
Altus
Critical Thinker

"ABC 4 stands by the
story as reported. We are not interested in a debate about specific
points but feel that many of the points you make have no relevance to
the story we aired. The story was told from the viewpoints of the
people involved in it."

So, if someone claimed to be Elvis and had someone else endorse the idea, they'd report it as "News"?---all serious faced with "Elvis is Alive in Utah...Kim, over to you!" Unfrekin bleevbull.
Old 12th November 2012, 06:19 PM   #752
carlitos
"más divertido"

Most newspapers still have horoscopes. News is mostly about entertainment.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2012, 07:15 PM   #753
Roma
Master Poster

Most newspapers still have horoscopes. News is mostly about entertainment.
Except the horoscopes are called horoscopes, this book "22 Faces" by Judy Byington is being marketed as a non-fiction biography when it is actually a fiction novel.
Old 12th November 2012, 07:33 PM   #754
Altus
Critical Thinker

Except the horoscopes are called horoscopes, this book "22 Faces" by Judy Byington is being marketed as a non-fiction biography when it is actually a fiction novel.
I've bought novels. I've read novels. Friends of mine have read novels. Roma, this is no "novel".
Old 12th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #755
Roma
Master Poster

I've bought novels. I've read novels. Friends of mine have read novels. Roma, this is no "novel".
Oh sorry, would "smut" or "trash" be better ? How about "kindling
Old 12th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #756
douglas mesner
Thinker

On very little time, I hacked this out. Pardon the possible artlessness...
http://www.examiner.com/article/5-ab...s-a-true-story
Old 13th November 2012, 08:58 AM   #757
Altus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by douglas mesner View Post
On very little time, I hacked this out. Pardon the possible artlessness...
http://www.examiner.com/article/5-ab...s-a-true-story
Cheesus, Doug, you are prolific.
Old 13th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #758
Altus
Critical Thinker

And while Judy marches forth with her delusion, the meme rears its ugly head in the Midwest. Thanks, in part, to the http://www.dysgenics.com/ blog...there is now ammo to go after the PR defending this stuff. The center in these articles has a buttload of spin money, lawyers etc. Like Judy, they are ISSTD members, but unlike her, they have a lot more power. However, the comment section in these articles and a little critical thinking and facts levels everything.

In a way I kinda see this whole thread as a 4chan4good...okay maybe not that dramatic, but getting involved with you folk in shooting this BS down sure feels better than musing about Bigfoot...not that that isn't fun. With this we get both though, fun and real world chit. Carry on.

http://ballwin-ellisville.patch.com/...f-sexual-abuse

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...alleges-abuse/

http://www.kmov.com/home/Castelwood-...178973201.html

Last edited by Altus; 13th November 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 13th November 2012, 11:42 AM   #759
Altus
Critical Thinker

These are Judy's cohorts. Ross, Schwartz and the whole ISSTD. This "therapy" is downright dangerous. Latest malpractice suit to hit involves a suicide attempt the day after a patient left a center run by ISSTD members. Take note, Judy Byington.

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/...uit_Case_4.pdf
Old 13th November 2012, 12:11 PM   #760
Dismember
Thinker

In a way I kinda see this whole thread as a 4chan4good...
I actually liked Roma's idea of passing the story along to the Onion. Spreading a short, satirized version throughout social media websites might destroy any chance of Judy's nonsense getting a foothold.

Anyone want to make one of these with a clever caption and a photo of Judy?

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal