JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 14th November 2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Dcdrac
Philosopher

A doctor on why late abortion should remain legal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-...d-remain-legal

Dr Frances Marks worked as a child psychiatrist from 1975 to 1998. As a consultant at London hospital she advised on the impact of late abortions.

My most memorable experience as a medical student occurred in the 1960s, some time before the 1967 Abortion Act made terminations legal in the UK.

It was winter, 6am, and I was still asleep. The phone rang and a voice ordered me up to join the ambulance of the obstetric flying squad. We arrived at a cheap hotel in Finsbury Park, north London; our patient was a plump young girl with auburn hair and the creamy skin of a Rubens nude. She lay unconscious on a single bed, her bewildered parents to one side. The GP was a tired gaunt man, who told us that his examination indicated that she had had an illegal abortion some time in the last 48 hours. Her blood pressure was dangerously low.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 06:35 AM   #2
3point14
Pi

Isn't that more damning of illegal abortions rather than late ones?
Old 14th November 2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

When late ones are not available, what is left but illegal ones?
Old 14th November 2012, 06:42 AM   #4
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
When late ones are not available, what is left but illegal ones?
Carrying to term?

But I do see your point.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

The reason late abortion should remain legal is that sometimes late terminations are the only humane way to deal with certain foetal abnormalities and situations which threaten the life of the mother.

Advocating for late abortions in order to pander to women too disorganised to sort themselves out during the first trimester is appalling.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Moreover, if abortions are illegal, then women will be less likely to avail themselves of all the services that medical care provides, which includes counseling that could actually help her resolve her issues without having to resort to abortion.

The last thing you want for a woman in dire straights and an unwanted pregnancy is to feel they need to resolve their problem on their own. She may feel her only recourse is to abort. However, if she can do it through a legally allowed process, she may be able to talk to people who can help her realize there are other options.

IOW, keeping late term abortions legal may help reduce their numbers.
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Rolfe

It may also encourage women to shilly-shally and procrastinate. Thus leading to the appalling situation where a healthy baby capable of being born alive and surviving is removed from the uterus and then killed.

There's a lot of euphemistic talk going on around this subject, for example describing a three-month foetus as a "ball of cells", which it certainly is not. There may be situations where killing a late-term foetus is the least worst option, but allowing that willy-nilly as a substitute for contraception is not one of them.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The reason late abortion should remain legal is that sometimes late terminations are the only humane way to deal with certain foetal abnormalities and situations which threaten the life of the mother.

Advocating for late abortions in order to pander to women too disorganised to sort themselves out during the first trimester is appalling.

Rolfe.
Unless it is , as mentionned in the article a raped 14 year old girl which confided at the 5th month. There I am not sure how I would go (abortion or not), but that certainly is not easy as "women too disorganised to sort themselves out during the first trimester ".
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

In the vast majority of abortions after 18 weeks, the delay was due to the woman not knowing they were pregnant in the early stages:

http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/docume...20abortion.pdf

It is hardly being "too disorganised to sort themselves out".
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Rolfe

Fair enough, I agree that hard cases make bad law. I'm still not persuaded that this sort of situation is sufficient to open the door to all and sundry to delay a decision on a social abortion until the baby is viable.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:01 AM   #11
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

The last thing you want for a woman in dire straights and an unwanted pregnancy is to feel they need to resolve their problem on their own. She may feel her only recourse is to abort. However, if she can do it through a legally allowed process, she may be able to talk to people who can help her realize there are other options.
There's no 'may' about it. Clinics (in the UK at least) already do that.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Rolfe

Also, I'm confused about the "remain" part. Termination isn't allowed after 24 weeks. If this is an argument that it ought to be, I have to say I'm not persuaded. It's a story about something that happened many years ago under entirely different circumstances, and I don't see its relevance to 2012 at all.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Professor Yaffle

Termination isn't allowed after 24 weeks.
Yes it is - but only in certain circumstances:

-if it is necessary to save the woman's life
-to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman
-if there is substantial risk that if the child were born, s/he would have physical or mental abnormalities and be seriously handicapped

Also, by "late" abortions, the author seems to be referring to those performed between 20 and 24 weeks - in response to the suggestion that the limit be reduced to 20 weeks:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-...bortion-rights

Last edited by Professor Yaffle; 14th November 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Rolfe

Indeed, and quite right too. It wasn't clear to me that this was what the OP was referring to. If it was, I'm far from convinced that it's a good example to use.

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:20 AM   #15
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-...d-remain-legal

Dr Frances Marks worked as a child psychiatrist from 1975 to 1998. As a consultant at London hospital she advised on the impact of late abortions.

My most memorable experience as a medical student occurred in the 1960s, some time before the 1967 Abortion Act made terminations legal in the UK.

It was winter, 6am, and I was still asleep. The phone rang and a voice ordered me up to join the ambulance of the obstetric flying squad. We arrived at a cheap hotel in Finsbury Park, north London; our patient was a plump young girl with auburn hair and the creamy skin of a Rubens nude. She lay unconscious on a single bed, her bewildered parents to one side. The GP was a tired gaunt man, who told us that his examination indicated that she had had an illegal abortion some time in the last 48 hours. Her blood pressure was dangerously low.
Since I fully and absolutely support abortion at any point the woman chooses that option, I am in full agreement!!!! I accept no kind of argument that provides for any left. AND I truly enjoy little kids!!!!!!!! That has no bearing on the woman's choice and my support of it!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 14th November 2012 at 10:23 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 10:21 AM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

DUPLICATE - by accident and lack of normal warning!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 10:23 AM   #17
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Carrying to term?

But I do see your point.
No.

Wash this space!

Old 14th November 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Rolfe

Any time at all? Even a week or two before the due date? How are you thinking of killing the baby in that situation?

Rolfe.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:04 PM   #19
RandyN
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Since I fully and absolutely support abortion at any point the woman chooses that option, I am in full agreement!!!! I accept no kind of argument that provides for any left. AND I truly enjoy little kids!!!!!!!! That has no bearing on the woman's choice and my support of it!!
I promise you would change your view as you assist a late term abortion and watch or actually perform the killing of a crying viable infant. Know how they do that? They sever the spine with a strong pair of scissors...just at the hairline on the back of the neck.

Sure there are rare necessary situations...but mostly it is as Rolfe describes...messing about in some sort of denial.
RandyN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Carrying to term?

But I do see your point.
Obviously it isn't always feasible. And the reality is that very few women would abort late if it is available.

Any time at all? Even a week or two before the due date? How are you thinking of killing the baby in that situation?

Rolfe.
Scrambling the brain ought to do the trick.

Originally Posted by RandyN View Post
I promise you would change your view as you assist a late term abortion and watch or actually perform the killing of a crying viable infant. Know how they do that? They sever the spine with a strong pair of scissors...just at the hairline on the back of the neck.

Sure there are rare necessary situations...but mostly it is as Rolfe describes...messing about in some sort of denial.

I'm aware of how they kill the baby. Doesn't change my opinion that it should be an option.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:29 AM   #21
Rolfe

Frankly, I'm appalled. Actually, I don't know words strong enough to express how appalled I am.

Have the damn baby and give it up for adoption. How can any woman live with herself in later life knowing that she'd done that to her own baby?

Rolfe.
Old 15th November 2012, 05:46 AM   #22
Rairun
Muse

Human babies are born pretty underdeveloped in the first place - they are by no means what we recognize as "human" in terms of cognitive development. I feel a lot more sympathy for dogs or cats, for example, when they are old enough to be curious, wide-eyed little critters. So no, I can't see why late term abortions are considered such a huge ethical conundrum. Newborn humans aren't just "a lump of cells", but they behave with less sophistication than cows, which incidentally we eat every day.

I'm not saying that killing newborn babies should be legal, by the way. We have to draw the line somewhere, and birth seems to be a pretty safe place to do it.
Rairun is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 08:27 AM   #23
LibraryLady
...but not JUST a LibraryLady

I find it strange that I'm not finding a reference to this in this thread.
Old 15th November 2012, 08:37 AM   #24
Professor Yaffle

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
I find it strange that I'm not finding a reference to this in this thread.
Maybe because there is a separate thread on it:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=247794
Old 15th November 2012, 08:53 AM   #25
LibraryLady
...but not JUST a LibraryLady

Thanks, I had been looking for the thread and couldn't find it!

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events