JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags general discussion , Israel issues , Israel-Palestine conflict , Palestine issues , US-Israel relations

Closed Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 11:20 AM   #9321
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
it clearly delineates palestinian territory, which israel has totally ignored.
Does it really?!

Please cite the passages that do that.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 11:51 AM   #9322
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Who was it that said that Palestinians need to start loving their kids more than they hate Israel? Because as long as they keep their children around them when they fire rockets at Israel, children are going to die. Surely they know that.
It was Golda Meir who said, "Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us. "
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 12:47 PM   #9323
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
So I wonder why it is, with so much that Hamas or the Palestinian Authority could be doing to advance peace but are not, so many from a certain part of the political spectrum can only ever think to put demands on the Israeli side of the equation.
The most charitable interpretation is that this is because Israel is the only side which will actually make any moves towards peace. They push against the only side that will budge. But as Orwell pointed out decades ago in regards to another conflict, it's a self-defeating strategy:

Originally Posted by George Orwell
Pacifism is objectively pro-Fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side you automatically help that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, ‘he that is not with me is against me’. The idea that you can somehow remain aloof from and superior to the struggle, while living on food which British sailors have to risk their lives to bring you, is a bourgeois illusion bred of money and security. Mr Savage remarks that ‘according to this type of reasoning, a German or Japanese pacifist would be “objectively pro-British”.’ But of course he would be! That is why pacifist activities are not permitted in those countries (in both of them the penalty is, or can be, beheading) while both the Germans and the Japanese do all they can to encourage the spread of pacifism in British and American territories. The Germans even run a spurious ‘freedom’ station which serves out pacifist propaganda indistinguishable from that of the P.P.U. They would stimulate pacifism in Russia as well if they could, but in that case they have tougher babies to deal with. In so far as it takes effect at all, pacifist propaganda can only be effective against those countries where a certain amount of freedom of speech is still permitted; in other words it is helpful to totalitarianism.
There's a term for such people. Of course, there are also malicious motives for such double standards in regards to Israel. I won't accuse anyone here of being driven by antisemitism, but it exists, and it's pretty wide-spread.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 01:14 PM   #9324
CTB
Thinker

I've got a quick question...

Out of all the people posting here, who is posting from, as in geographically located in, Israel or Gaza?

It has been fascinating to watch all the experts from both sides display their expertise, but who can I trust to talk from their own personal experience regards the death and destruction?

It seems that while a war rages there are quite a lot of posers. Prove me wrong.

" ...in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is not king, for he can never get folks to see things his way."

Last edited by CTB; 18th November 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: tidying
CTB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #9325
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I'm sure it will a refreshing debate that will bring many new insights into the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Either that or a replay of every other Israel-Palestine thread on the JREF.

Maybe the mods can temporarily let Parky and Sceptic into the thread, for those of us who are feeling nostalgic.
I vote yes to Eddie's proposal.
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Egypt could do something pretty bad to Israel: re-militarise the Sinai. Having the Egyptian army on it's borders would mean having a standing army ready and that would put a huge drain on Israel's economy. OTOH Israel can probably wipe out the entire Egyptian army if they were stupid enough to sit in the desert.

The Brother's will have to throw the masses an anti-Israeli bone though.
Erdogan had it easy in that respect, he could just tell Shimon Peres to take a long walk on short pier on live TV, and all of Turkey loved him for it.
If the Brothers are really Machiavellian: Preach Jihad, call for volunteers, employ human wave attacks against Israel. The next twenty years no chance of revolution with all those angry young men gone.
Hmm, do you think the Brotherhood are that smart, in terms of political strat?
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I should have known better than to post in an Israel thread. its not worth it.
Understatment of the decade.
Originally Posted by balrog666 View Post
Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us. - Golda Meir in 1957
I hope the Russians love their children too. I guess Sting was a freakin' plaigerist.
Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
The Gaza strip is 365 sq km, populated by 1.7 million people (over half of whom are children btw), so that's a population density of 4657 per sq km - only Macau, Monaco, Singapore and Hong Kong have higher population densities. Could you imagine firing a Hellfire missile into Hong Kong and not killing someone?
Yes, since I know how to use a Hellfire in an urban/built up area. Not hard at all, so long as your party painting the target with the laser designator is doing his job properly. Your "argument from ignorance ought makes your credibility suffer a bit. The lack of discipline used to send off the salvos of rockets coming out of Gaza, on the other hand, lends credence to the assertion that the folks in Gaza don't care about how many innocents die.
I suppose it would be too much to expect a source to substantiate this assertion?
As noted above, hiding your head in the sand does not make for a good argument. Look at a map. A recent map.
Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
perhaps,but an embargo does not restrict movement of people.
It can, as can a quarantine. Unless you know wtf you are talking about, suggest you keep your mouth shut, lest you come off as a fool.
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The name {iron dome} appears to be an unintended irony.
I saw what you did there! Tee hee!
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
There is an election soon, is the current action occurring with an eye to that.
I suspect that's a factor, though the rocket attacks seem to have been an important trigger.
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Jeezus, man. You gotta come up with a new dance. 233 stinking pages of this crap is enough. Papa needs a brand new bag, man. Why don't you go back to advocating voluntary extinction or something.
He wouldn't want to come off as bigoted or racist, ya see ...
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 18th November 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 01:46 PM   #9326
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I hope the Russians love their children too. I guess Sting was a freakin' plaigerist.
And least he didn't steal from REO Speedwagon.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 02:28 PM   #9327
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by CTB View Post
I've got a quick question...

Out of all the people posting here, who is posting from, as in geographically located in, Israel or Gaza?

It has been fascinating to watch all the experts from both sides display their expertise, but who can I trust to talk from their own personal experience regards the death and destruction?

It seems that while a war rages there are quite a lot of posers. Prove me wrong.
AFAIK Dr. Evil and bigjelmapro are Israeli.

Does that mean no one else can discuss it?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 02:29 PM   #9328
Stout
Master Poster

Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 02:50 PM   #9329
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Hamas calls for a time out and a rule change that allows them to import heavy weapons so they can kill more Jews next time:
Quote:
Gaza's Hamas rulers are aiming high in the conditions they place on stopping rocket fire into Israel in indirect cease-fire talks launched this weekend. Emboldened by Arab support and confident in their arsenal, the Islamists say calm can only come if Israel opens the gates of the tiny, closed-off territory.
Yeah, right.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 03:53 PM   #9330
trustbutverify
Illuminator

I've yet to read a clear and direct answer as to the morally appropriate, short term Israeli response to a sustained enemy rocket barrage. I understand thezionistentity is an evil cancer and Nazi doppelganger, so it deserves to be attacked. Still, what should they do when fired upon? What is an acceptable immediate response?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 04:57 PM   #9331
bit_pattern
Illuminator

The message here is pretty clear: if we can't kill you, we'll come after your kids

[quote] Nine members of the one family died in this blast – all women and children, along with two neighbours who were walking past the house when the missile hit also died.
The Israeli Defence Force confirmed it had targeted the house of a Hamas man, believed to be Mohamed Dallu, who was not home at the time of the attack. His four children died – Sara, 7, Jamal, 6, Yusef, 4, and Ibrahim, 2.
A spokesman would not comment on the air strike or the high number of civilian casualties, except to say the IDF was “looking into the reports”.[/quote[

http://m.theage.com.au/world/deadlie...119-29ks4.html

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 04:59 PM   #9332
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

The message here is pretty clear: if we can't kill you, we'll come after your kids
That sums up Hamas nicely.

Thank you.
Old 18th November 2012, 05:02 PM   #9333
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Some footage of a politician and his supporters talking about "erasing" the other side:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:12 PM   #9334
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Some footage of a politician and his supporters talking about "erasing" the other side:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Was about to post the same video (I think)

Warning NSFW for Hebrew speakers, very strong language in English subtitles

Kachnik MK Michael Ben-Ari:

"There are no innocents in Gaza!" (In response to the death of 9 children!)

"Security means erasing Gaza"

Crowd chants "erase Gaza" & "expel leftists"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZP1...e_gdata_player

*Sits back and awaits the vitriol and denial*

"In this political climate, all of science is vulnerable to ideological attack when reality disagrees with political beliefs."

Last edited by bit_pattern; 18th November 2012 at 05:16 PM.
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:40 PM   #9335
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The most charitable interpretation is that this is because Israel is the only side which will actually make any moves towards peace. They push against the only side that will budge. But as Orwell pointed out decades ago in regards to another conflict, it's a self-defeating strategy:

There's a term for such people. Of course, there are also malicious motives for such double standards in regards to Israel. I won't accuse anyone here of being driven by antisemitism, but it exists, and it's pretty wide-spread.
I had this argument with a friend today. He held the Palestinians to such a lower standard than the Israelis that it was tragic, yet he accused 'us' (the West specifically) of having a racist attitude toward the Palestinians based on the attitudes of British WWII bomber pilots. It's hard to believe anyone is unable to see the problem with being so patronizing to a group!

While I have plenty to criticize Israel about, I don't hold Palestinians to a lower standard. They need to stop the rocket attacks at the very least.
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:41 PM   #9336
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE
I dislike violent fanatic extremists and would urge Israelis to speak out against that sort of attitude.
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:07 PM   #9337
angrysoba
Philosophile

Here's a wild stab in the dark, why doesn't the Gaza Strip and the West Bank get put under United Nations control with the understanding that eventually those areas will form an independent Palestine. That way, the UN could ensure that:

a) rockets aren't stockpiled

b) proper medical and humanitarian supplies can get in without arms being smuggled into the territories

c) the UN forces can prevent the building of new Israeli settlements

d) keep the peace

That way, there won't have to be endless provocations, protestations of innocence, accusations of one side dehumanizing the other, and a generally accepted form of arbitration and move towards the two-state solution that everyone says they want.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #9338
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I dislike violent fanatic extremists and would urge Israelis to speak out against that sort of attitude.
Won't happen sadly, those views are mainstream now, you can read the same sentiments in daily newspapers like the Jerusalem Post

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdCo...2466&R=R1&utm_

Gilad Sharon, son of former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, wrote an op-ed on Sunday calling for even more aggressive Israeli strikes in Gaza.
"We need to flatten entire neighborhoods in Gaza. Flatten all of Gaza," states Sharon in The Jerusalem Post.

(...)

Sharon writes in his op-ed that "the residents of Gaza are not innocent, they elected Hamas. The Gazans aren’t hostages; they chose this freely, and must live with the consequences." After saying that Israel needs to "flatten all of Gaza," he goes on to say, "The Americans didn’t stop with Hiroshima – the Japanese weren’t surrendering fast enough, so they hit Nagasaki, too."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...?utm_hp_ref=tw

Old 18th November 2012, 06:15 PM   #9339
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Won't happen sadly, those views are mainstream now, you can read the same sentiments in daily newspapers like the Jerusalem Post

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdCo...2466&R=R1&utm_

Gilad Sharon, son of former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, wrote an op-ed on Sunday calling for even more aggressive Israeli strikes in Gaza.
"We need to flatten entire neighborhoods in Gaza. Flatten all of Gaza," states Sharon in The Jerusalem Post.

(...)

Sharon writes in his op-ed that "the residents of Gaza are not innocent, they elected Hamas. The Gazans aren’t hostages; they chose this freely, and must live with the consequences." After saying that Israel needs to "flatten all of Gaza," he goes on to say, "The Americans didn’t stop with Hiroshima – the Japanese weren’t surrendering fast enough, so they hit Nagasaki, too."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...?utm_hp_ref=tw
Well they did elect Hamas. It isn't possible to divorce what Hamas is doing from the Palestinian wishes. The argument 'that's not the Palestinian's, it's all Hamas' doing' is therefore vacuous. They aren't 'innocent' in that regard.

The second part implicitly means that if the attacks stopped, they 'surrendered', then the fighting would stop.

That's about the only things of value I can extract out of those vile quotes. However, those cites do not prove that it's what most Israelis believe (son of a former prime minster? So?). There are views that are mainstream but not necessarily majority in Israel which I find abhorrent.

That doesn't mean the rocket attacks shouldn't stop or that Hamas in in the right. At best it's a tu quoque.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:22 PM   #9340
John Mekki
Banned

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Hamas calls for a time out and a rule change that allows them to import heavy weapons so they can kill more Jews next time:

Yeah, right.
Does this have anything to do with the non-recognition of the State of Palestine from Israel?
If Israel wants pease, why then not recognizing the State of Palestine first based on the 67 borders?
How not recognizing the State of Palestine is supposed to be a way to avoid genocide?
And what about the stealing of land in the West Bank?
John Mekki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #9341
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Here's a wild stab in the dark, why doesn't the Gaza Strip and the West Bank get put under United Nations control with the understanding that eventually those areas will form an independent Palestine. That way, the UN could ensure that:

a) rockets aren't stockpiled

b) proper medical and humanitarian supplies can get in without arms being smuggled into the territories

c) the UN forces can prevent the building of new Israeli settlements

d) keep the peace

That way, there won't have to be endless provocations, protestations of innocence, accusations of one side dehumanizing the other, and a generally accepted form of arbitration and move towards the two-state solution that everyone says they want.
Because Israel and America have obstructed all such attempts in the past. Plus, Israel has a predilection to shelling UN observers, so dunno who'd be prepared to send their troops in.

This paper outlines the challenges any such mission would face

http://www.usmep.us/usmep/2010/05/01...-in-palestine/

Old 18th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #9342
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
. However, those cites do not prove that it's what most Israelis believe (son of a former prime minster? So?). There are views that are mainstream but not necessarily majority in Israel .
You'll note I never made any such claim, dunno if you're implying I did or not, it would be a straw man though if you were

Old 18th November 2012, 06:38 PM   #9343
angrysoba
Philosophile

Because Israel and America have obstructed all such attempts in the past. Plus, Israel has a predilection to shelling UN observers, so dunno who'd be prepared to send their troops in.

I still don't see why it shouldn't form a bigger part of the debate. It may be that this idea has been obstructed but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seriously raised, in the General Assembly or in the Security Council.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #9344
balrog666
Eigenmode: Cynic

I say, "No!", because it is more fun (and racist) that way!!

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. – George Orwell
balrog666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 06:45 PM   #9345
bit_pattern
Illuminator

TII - This is Israel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...holocaust.html

A senior Israeli politician provoked controversy today when he warned that Palestinians firing rockets from Gaza would be punished with a "bigger holocaust" from Israeli armed forces

The use of the Hebrew word for holocaust, "shoah", tends to be used exclusively in Israel to describe the Nazi persecution of Jews.

(...)

"The more qassam fire intensifies and the rockets reach a longer range, they (the Palestinians) will bring upon themselves a bigger shoah because we will use all our might to defend ourselves," he said.

Old 18th November 2012, 06:56 PM   #9346
John Mekki
Banned

So sad to see that in Yahoo! comment sections 90% of the people who post comments (mostly US citizens, I would assume) are perfectly OK with the death of civilians and blame 100% Hamas for that.
John Mekki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 07:05 PM   #9347
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Was about to post the same video (I think)

Warning NSFW for Hebrew speakers, very strong language in English subtitles

Kachnik MK Michael Ben-Ari:

"There are no innocents in Gaza!" (In response to the death of 9 children!)

"Security means erasing Gaza"

Crowd chants "erase Gaza" & "expel leftists"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZP1...e_gdata_player

*Sits back and awaits the vitriol and denial*
Oh, so therefore it's OK to launch missiles at Israeli cities?
Old 18th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #9348
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by John Mekki View Post
Does this have anything to do with the non-recognition of the State of Palestine from Israel?
If Israel wants pease, why then not recognizing the State of Palestine first based on the 67 borders?
How not recognizing the State of Palestine is supposed to be a way to avoid genocide?
And what about the stealing of land in the West Bank?
Why should Israel recognize a state that has vowed to destroy it? And who can speak/negotiate for Palestinians? Hamas? Fatah? Some other group?
Old 18th November 2012, 07:11 PM   #9349
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Why should Israel recognize a state that has vowed to destroy it?
To stop having rockets fired at it, for starters.

Old 18th November 2012, 07:18 PM   #9350
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

You have a link where the Palestinians agreed to that? I'm certain Hamas said no such thing.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:19 PM   #9351
Toontown
Suspended

That wouldn't be a good enough reason even if it wasn't bogus. It's a big world, and they're small rockets.

Last edited by Toontown; 18th November 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 07:31 PM   #9352
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, he discounts the possibility of a UN force, although I still see no reason to completely rule it out and suggests, instead, a NATO-run force with Security Council backing similar to what there was in Kosovo and Bosnia.

Is there any substantial reasons why this shouldn't be floated by the US, the EU and the so-called Quartet or anyone who claims to want to see an end to the interminable cycle of rockets and reprisals, settlement-building and suicide bombing etc...?

Quote:
In sum, a peacekeeping force in Palestine is no substitute for agreement among the main Palestinian factions, and between them and Israel, but is a likely and perhaps essential component of such an accord. Although the United Nations is unlikely to be chosen to lead such a force, its experience in overseeing the implementation of a dozen or more similar such peace agreements over the past couple of decades, as well as NATO’s endeavors in Bosnia and Kosovo suggest that this is a feasible, if by no means a certain or easy endeavor
Old 18th November 2012, 07:34 PM   #9353
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Well, he discounts the possibility of a UN force, although I still see no reason to completely rule it out and suggests, instead, a NATO-run force with Security Council backing similar to what there was in Kosovo and Bosnia.

Is there any substantial reasons why this shouldn't be floated by the US, the EU and the so-called Quartet or anyone who claims to want to see an end to the interminable cycle of rockets and reprisals, settlement-building and suicide bombing etc...?
How is that UN force working out in Lebanon?

"What UN force" you might ask...
Old 18th November 2012, 07:38 PM   #9354
angrysoba
Philosophile

How is that UN force working out in Lebanon?

"What UN force" you might ask...
I think it is not doing badly. The UN forces are only stationed in certain areas, not the whole country.

However, an argument that it might not work is not a good enough reason to say that it must not be tried. After all, how is having no UN or NATO force working out in Gaza?

"What do you mean working out" you might ask...
Old 18th November 2012, 07:47 PM   #9355
John Mekki
Banned

Why should Israel recognize a state that has vowed to destroy it? And who can speak/negotiate for Palestinians? Hamas? Fatah? Some other group?

In 1993, PLO recognized Israel's right to exist in peace, accepted UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palesti...n_Organization

And even if there are people in Gaza and West Bank who do not want Israel to exist, how does stealing land from the Palestinians would bring Israel on the side of “good”?
AAnd how trying to stop the efforts of Palestine to become a full member of the UN would bring Israel on the side of “good”?
Old 18th November 2012, 08:03 PM   #9356
bit_pattern
Illuminator

Only that America would never allow it...

Old 18th November 2012, 08:18 PM   #9357
Toontown
Suspended

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I've yet to read a clear and direct answer as to the morally appropriate, short term Israeli response to a sustained enemy rocket barrage. I understand thezionistentity is an evil cancer and Nazi doppelganger, so it deserves to be attacked. Still, what should they do when fired upon? What is an acceptable immediate response?
Q: Who here is qualified to decide what is morally appropriate?

A: No one.

And that's why the entire thread is bogus - a judgement which is only reinforced by the presumptuous preening of the thread's most clueless pretenders.

It's all slowly sinking into a morass of pseudo-moralistic quicksand. Most of it has already sunk deep into the quicksand, never to be seen again, which would be a good thing except that new chunks of crap keep getting piled on top, driving the entire mass deeper and deeper into the slimy muck of piss ignorance, but always leaving a superstructure of useless futility exposed.

Last edited by Toontown; 18th November 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #9358
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

In 1993, PLO recognized Israel's right to exist in peace, accepted UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palesti...n_Organization

And even if there are people in Gaza and West Bank who do not want Israel to exist, how does stealing land from the Palestinians would bring Israel on the side of “good”?
AAnd how trying to stop the efforts of Palestine to become a full member of the UN would bring Israel on the side of “good”?
From Arafat's letter to Rabin: In view of the promise of a new era and the signing of the Declaration of Principles and based on Palestinian acceptance of Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338, the PLO affirms that those articles of the Palestinian Covenant which deny Israel's right to exist, and the provisions of the Covenant which are inconsistent with the commitments of this letter are now inoperative and no longer valid. Consequently, the PLO undertakes to submit to the Palestinian National Council for formal approval the necessary changes in regard to the Palestinian Covenant.

That hilited part, when was that done? Got a link?
Old 18th November 2012, 09:47 PM   #9359
ProBonoShill
Graduate Poster

So sad to see that in Yahoo! comment sections 90% of the people who post comments (mostly US citizens, I would assume) are perfectly OK with the death of civilians and blame 100% Hamas for that.
So sad to see people in this thread supporting the Hamas terrorists and the murders they commit. I wonder how they sleep at night.
ProBonoShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 10:01 PM   #9360
trustbutverify
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Q: Who here is qualified to decide what is morally appropriate?

A: No one.

And that's why the entire thread is bogus - a judgement which is only reinforced by the presumptuous preening of the thread's most clueless pretenders.

It's all slowly sinking into a morass of pseudo-moralistic quicksand. Most of it has already sunk deep into the quicksand, never to be seen again, which would be a good thing except that new chunks of crap keep getting piled on top, driving the entire mass deeper and deeper into the slimy muck of piss ignorance, but always leaving a superstructure of useless futility exposed.
Amen.

However, I'd still be interested in hearing what the anti-Zionists consider to be a reasonable, responsible and effective immediate response to a large, sustained missile attack.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

JREF Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics