JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 1st August 2012, 03:36 PM   #41
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by AgeGap View Post
Linux Format says there is a five day wait now.

Who wants something free? MagPi magazine. All 4.5 issues
Really? Damn. I wonder where mine is then?
Old 5th August 2012, 01:33 PM   #42
AgeGap
Master Poster

from http://www.tuxradar.com/content/podc...n-4-episode-14

.....ordered a Rasperry Pi on Friday, from element14 (UK), and it arrived following Wednesday.

4,000 RaspPis are made each day and orders for multiples are being taken.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2012, 11:12 AM   #43
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

I'm not convinced about this. All the people raving and excited about getting one are out of their teens or remember when computers were really simple. etc

I've yet to hear what the kids at school now think about them when they actually get their hands on them. In the days when most have smart phones , I suspect they will be unimpressed.

-
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2012, 06:04 PM   #44
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I remember when computing machines were programmed with plug boards and punched cards, but I still know an innovation when I see it.

The innovation here is the price point; We can get these into the hands of almost every family who also owns a television.

The ability to close the digital divide is the goal here.
Old 16th August 2012, 07:08 AM   #45
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Six weeks to go if 12 weeks was a reliable figure.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:56 PM   #46
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

MCM Electronics sent me an email today highlighting the Pi. It sent me here. $35 for a basic board and $80 for a board, case, power supply, mouse, keyboard and a 4GB SD card with the OS on it with a few other bundles priced in between those. I've bought stuff from them in the past with no issues and they say that they have them in stock now.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:13 AM   #47
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Mine is out for delivery now. I'll let you all know how I do with it.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:25 AM   #48
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Will someone post when they hear what the kids (the main intended recipients) actually think about this, in the classroom?
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 08:58 AM   #49
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
Will someone post when they hear what the kids (the main intended recipients) actually think about this, in the classroom?
The board is currently under "developer" release. The foundation has said that they are trying to create training and other material (like cases) before explicitly directing it to the classroom. The educational release has been targeted for "later in 2012".
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 09:50 AM   #50
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
The board is currently under "developer" release. The foundation has said that they are trying to create training and other material (like cases) before explicitly directing it to the classroom. The educational release has been targeted for "later in 2012".
I'm amazed they haven't tested it with young focus groups at least , or have they? As I say, I have seen no child user feedback on this , only 30 + yr old adults salivating over its release.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:58 AM   #51
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
I'm amazed they haven't tested it with young focus groups at least , or have they? As I say, I have seen no child user feedback on this , only 30 + yr old adults salivating over its release.
It's technology. I'm sure some kids will find it fabulous and some will not care at all. I would have loved having it when I was a kid.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 11:43 AM   #52
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

It's technology. I'm sure some kids will find it fabulous and some will not care at all. I would have loved having it when I was a kid.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
When I was a kid I was nearly in heaven when I was allowed to punch card decks of FORTRAN II programs and send them off to the college to be run.
Old 24th August 2012, 07:01 PM   #53
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Working through bluetooth dongle stuff...

raspbmc does not come with that installed, but it's easy enough;

apt-get install bluetooth
Old 25th August 2012, 11:26 PM   #54
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Has anybody made a bluetooth dongle work on it?

ETA: It refuses to pair, and then it freezes.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:24 AM   #55
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Looks like a kernel bug. Need to wait for 3.3 kernel to do BT.
Old 27th August 2012, 06:49 PM   #56
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

The Pi starts finding homes in the oddest places

http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2641

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2012, 02:55 AM   #57
AgeGap
Master Poster

Issue 5 of The MagPi is available now at http://www.themagpi.com/

Also Snake Wrangling for Kids, learning to program with python. It is free, has versions for python 2 and 3, for mac,linux and windows and a few languages (speaky type not programming). https://code.google.com/p/swfk/downloads/list

Last edited by AgeGap; 1st September 2012 at 03:00 AM.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 07:22 AM   #58
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Compiling xbmc from source now on the box. It's been running make since 9 pm last night!
Old 2nd September 2012, 02:35 PM   #59
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Still building!
Old 2nd September 2012, 03:44 PM   #60
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Still building!
You sure?
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:54 PM   #61
stevea
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
It's a neat little device but I have a better idea.

Replace the need for a boot SD-Card with a built-in ROM chip, build the whole thing into a cheap keyboard, include the power supply and cables with the unit, and sell it for $64.

They could call it the Raspberry 64. It could be the modern equivalent of a Commodore 64.

You do bring up a serious objection. RaspberryPi devotes a lot of resources to the vid & gui intereface. and has relatively poor storage and network options. I'd rather see some on-board FLASH mem and then login via network, drop the vid altogether and add a SATA interface and a GigE enet. No one is buying this b/c it has brilliant graphics, but it does have some great potential as a low-power 24x7 server.

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Looks like a kernel bug. Need to wait for 3.3 kernel to do BT.
What are you waiting for ? The 3.6.rc4 kernel is out and 3.3 is long--stale.

BTW - pull a cross compiler - they are free.

Last edited by stevea; 2nd September 2012 at 04:55 PM.
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:02 PM   #62
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Acleron View Post
You sure?
Yeah, it finished about 5 hours ago.
Old 4th September 2012, 08:11 AM   #63
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

Thought I would share the cheapest case I could come up with, cassette case and a few minutes with the dremel:

TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2012, 11:27 AM   #64
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I AGREE
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Thought I would share the cheapest case I could come up with, cassette case and a few minutes with the dremel:

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting...619df66816.jpg
Very cool. I considered a mint tin insulated with tape, but it was a bit too small.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:09 AM   #65
malicus
Graduate Poster

How you getting on with XBMC on the RPi Ben?

Considering putting one together for the bedroom to replace my WDTV. I run Openelec downstairs, but unfortunately have little (well, practically zero) experience running linux through command line. Seen some nice guides though.

Have you tried the XBMC alphas on Android? Using it on my phone and N7. I can even use my phone as an XBMC remote to control the N7 XBMC instance. Geektastic.
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2012, 10:14 PM   #66
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Well, I diverted into trying to get bluetooth working. My "use case" is that I use bluetooth to connect the pi to the internet. Made that work tonight. Also got a keyboard/trackpad paired to it successfully.

XBMC at least as I compiled it, seems to have some limitations. I am going to have to get a copy of the RMBC image again and see if that works better.
Old 12th September 2012, 01:55 AM   #67
AgeGap
Master Poster

Playing around with Python I could not import the turtle module. No tk interface

sudo apt-get install python-tk
Old 12th September 2012, 05:36 AM   #68
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Finding that a bluetooth PAN takes about 1/3 of the CPU time. Something still not right there. And if I leave it running a radio stream through VLC, I find that the machine is frozen a few hours later.
Old 12th September 2012, 06:59 PM   #69
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Sometimes mysterious freeze-ups can be due to power issues. Is the adapter powering the RPi putting out 5 watts? Also, the RPi can become unstable if a USB device draws too much power. The bluetooth dongle might be the culprit, but somehow I doubt it. But if you have a powered USB hub, maybe try plugging the bluetooth into that and the hub into the RPi.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 07:18 AM   #70
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

A 64 node Raspberry Pi "supercomputer" with a server rack made from LEGO

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/ra...outhampton.htm
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/ra...i_pictures.htm

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak

Last edited by Alareth; 14th September 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 03:24 PM   #71
AgeGap
Master Poster

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/ras.../tutorials/os/

Build your own operating system for RaspberryPi.
Old 14th September 2012, 03:49 PM   #72
BowlOfRed
Muse

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Sometimes mysterious freeze-ups can be due to power issues. Is the adapter powering the RPi putting out 5 watts? Also, the RPi can become unstable if a USB device draws too much power. The bluetooth dongle might be the culprit, but somehow I doubt it. But if you have a powered USB hub, maybe try plugging the bluetooth into that and the hub into the RPi.
Adafruit offers a 5.25V adapter, so that if you draw a lot and you get some voltage drop over the USB cable, you still have at least 5V when it gets to the device.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/501
Old 14th September 2012, 08:41 PM   #73
kevinquinnyo
Graduate Poster

Linux Sysadmin / ameteur programmer here, i have two model-B's in the mail ! should be here in less than two months

I do not know what I will do with these.

I'm open to all suggestions/brainstorming here. I need a new project.

The project can be ridiculously ambitious, open to all ideas.
kevinquinnyo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 09:43 PM   #74
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by kevinquinnyo View Post
Linux Sysadmin / ameteur programmer here, i have two model-B's in the mail ! should be here in less than two months

I do not know what I will do with these.

I'm open to all suggestions/brainstorming here. I need a new project.

The project can be ridiculously ambitious, open to all ideas.
There is always software that needs writing.

I'm thinking along the lines of a Hypercard clone. A way for non-programmers to create active content while at the same time having considerable programming extensibility.

Not talking anything binary-compatible, but compatible in most key concepts.

Why hypercard? It was designed for and worked well on an 8 MHz 68000 and so is very lightweight and adaptable to small platforms.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:02 AM   #75
AgeGap
Master Poster

Maplins (UK electronics store) are selling a Raspberry Pi Model B kit. Easy to get hold of one in the UK. All you need is a TV to get going.

MagPi being published as a paper and ink mag.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:00 AM   #76
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Ordered a 512K version a few weeks back. Seriously backordered from Allied.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:08 AM   #77
carlitos
"más divertido"

512K? That's more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:05 AM   #78
AgeGap
Master Poster

HELP!!!!

I have a really noob problem with my raspberry pi. I have a WiFi dongle that gets a signal but when I try to click the OK at the bottom of the WiFi configure Window it doesn't show. There is no bar to scroll up and down. When the window is resized it can't be placed anywhere where the bottom of the window is showing. LXCE and wheezy. I have tried google and the raspberryfi wiki and forum but I don't know the correct question to ask. I would pull my hair out but there is not much left.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:10 AM   #79
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

AgeGap, sorry, I have only done bluetooth configuration.

What I suggest is that there may be a command-line way to configure your WiFi.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:21 AM   #80
CynicalSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
512K? That's more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._really_say_it_
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet