JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , bigfoot merchandising , Bryan Sykes , jeffrey meldrum , Melba Ketchum

Reply
Old 25th September 2012, 08:10 AM   #321
parnassus
Master Poster
 
parnassus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,566
There is a certain thrill in hoaxing children about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny...happy children, engaged in activities, getting surprises.

There is a similar thrill in hoaxing the "bigfoot" of modern folklore, a little sadism, or call it a "practical joke," pulling it off, watching the victims get all goose bumpy. Seeing your video go viral. "Finding Bigfoot" shows it in microcosm. Cliffy is the perfect victim. Unlike parents/bunny/Santa, the hoaxers usually don't finally fess up, perhaps because their victims are adults who have guns and lawyers. Perhaps because they discover they can become rich and famous. Perhaps because they're sick.
__________________
"Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress but they regard the things government does for others as socialism."---Earl Warren
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 09:10 AM   #322
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
The problem is, we live such soft lives anymore - not having to hunt or gather our food - that people really want to be scared and will pay big bucks for it - maybe it makes them feel alive. Why else would monster and vampire and ghost and Bigfoot stuff be so popular? And the Bigfootery types, well, I have to give some of them credit, at least they like to be out in nature. The rest of the world seems to think the natural world can be found at the mall.

Last edited by Sonny2; 25th September 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 10:28 AM   #323
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,164
Also, when a society accepts things as myth (such as Easter Bunny and Bigfoot) the pretense of honesty is dropped. It no longer applies and it is not expected to apply.

IOW, when a person starts talking about Bigfoot there is no expectation that they will be honest even when talking about others. In general our society is this way right now regarding Bigfoot.

Our public society does treat Bigfoot as a myth and will commonly satire and ridicule Bigfoot believers as if they "just don't get it". When somebody takes the microphone and says "I saw a Bigfoot. They exist." we don't even expect that they might be telling the truth. We are free to crack a joke about them (and it usually involves booze) and the audience (if any) laughs. It's because we already know that Bigfoot is a myth and we already know that we should expect people to come forward and say that they have seen Bigfoot. It's what people do... just like coloring eggs. We expect people to color eggs and then hide them. We expect people to make up Bigfoot encounter stories and then insist that they are true.

Skeptics may be mistaken if they think that there is still "a lot of ground to cover" because there are still a lot of people out there who believe that Bigfoot exists. These Bigfooters need help in improving their critical thinking skills. Well, we may be looking at the best that it could ever be right now. IOW, we never really have fewer (percentage) Bigfooters at any point in the future, even many hundreds of years from now, than we do right now. The mistake is thinking that eventually our society members will all say that Bigfoot doesn't exist and nobody plays the myth game (by saying it does exist or hoaxing its existence).
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 01:35 PM   #324
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,537
Fred G. Sanford: You don't believe nothin'. Even when you was a kid, you didn't even believe in Santa Claus.
Lamont Sanford: Well, you were the one that was responsible for that.
Fred G. Sanford: Who, me?
Lamont Sanford: Yes, you. You told me there was no Santa Claus.
Fred G. Sanford: I ain't told you there was no Santa Claus. I said wouldn't no white man be coming 'round in our neighborhood wearing no red velvet suit at 12 o'clock.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 01:36 PM   #325
Deacondark
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I am so excited about the recent development that Finding Bigfoot has caused, even amongst people who know that Bigfoot doesn't exist.

People like my 9 year old daughter.

We were walking through some trails, and I think an ORV backfired a little ways away from us, it was loud but indistinct, clearly man-made, she looked at me and said "Oooh that was Bigfoot!" we both laughed and thought that was funny. I started doing my Patty walk along the trail, and she grabbed the camera and was all like "I can't get this thing to focus on you! it won't focus"

Pure gold!
Deacondark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 01:47 PM   #326
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life
 
RedRatSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southie, Massachusetts.
Posts: 1,625
Awesome LTC8K6 LMAO
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 06:07 PM   #327
AttorneyTom
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 883
yes.. as she "hopped up and down on her imaginary horse !"
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 06:12 PM   #328
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life
 
RedRatSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southie, Massachusetts.
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by Deacondark View Post
Pure gold!

That kinda grabbed me by the boo boo also.

Tim
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 11:44 PM   #329
Night Walker
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: "Terror" Australis
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
There is a certain thrill in hoaxing children about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny...happy children, engaged in activities, getting surprises.

There is a similar thrill in hoaxing the "bigfoot" of modern folklore, a little sadism, or call it a "practical joke," pulling it off, watching the victims get all goose bumpy. Seeing your video go viral. "Finding Bigfoot" shows it in microcosm. Cliffy is the perfect victim. Unlike parents/bunny/Santa, the hoaxers usually don't finally fess up, perhaps because their victims are adults who have guns and lawyers. Perhaps because they discover they can become rich and famous. Perhaps because they're sick.
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Fred G. Sanford: You don't believe nothin'. Even when you was a kid, you didn't even believe in Santa Claus.
Lamont Sanford: Well, you were the one that was responsible for that.
Fred G. Sanford: Who, me?
Lamont Sanford: Yes, you. You told me there was no Santa Claus.
Fred G. Sanford: I ain't told you there was no Santa Claus. I said wouldn't no white man be coming 'round in our neighborhood wearing no red velvet suit at 12 o'clock.

"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus" can then also be applied to Bigfoot:

Believes in Bigfoot (there are sooo many stories)
Doesn't believe in Bigfoot (no evidence; people get things wrong and fake it all the time)
Becomes Bigfoot (a traditional means of folk-fun which inspires the next generation)

Sometimes there is also a 4th stage: Look like Santa/Bigfoot - which is what I intend to do by going feral in the bush post-retirement...
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 10:11 AM   #330
River
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post
"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus" can then also be applied to Bigfoot:

Believes in Bigfoot (there are sooo many stories)
Doesn't believe in Bigfoot (no evidence; people get things wrong and fake it all the time)
Becomes Bigfoot (a traditional means of folk-fun which inspires the next generation)

Sometimes there is also a 4th stage: Look like Santa/Bigfoot - which is what I intend to do by going feral in the bush post-retirement...

I like that analogy! I've said for a long time that we are bigfoot, and bigfoot is us. Most literally. People will always enjoy a good story, or a good prank.
__________________
“Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 11:08 AM   #331
OntarioSquatch
Muse
 
OntarioSquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 628
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 11:18 AM   #332
River
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.

Which evidence specifically are you refering to as being "evidence of bigfoot"?
__________________
“Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 11:19 AM   #333
Drewbot
Illuminator
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,459
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
Think about what you are saying.

When Santa Claus comes to my house, we leave a little plate with cookies on it, and a full bottle of a Michigan Craft Beer, typically an IPA.

The next morning there are only crumbs on the plate, and the bottle is empty, there are presents under the tree, clearly evidence that Santa was there.

Burp.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 11:34 AM   #334
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 15,537
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
I haven't seen any popular and very old illustrations of humans slaying sasquatch...

Or sasquatch attacking mariners...

They had unicorns and sea serpents and dragons back then, and they drew them, wrote about them, painted them, and sculpted them...

Strange that sasquatch was roaming the planet and didn't get any respect...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 01:23 PM   #335
xtifr
Graduate Poster
 
xtifr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sol III
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
There's plenty of evidence of fairies, and it's every bit as reliable as the evidence for bigfoot. At its peak at the beginning of the 20th c., belief in fairies was more widespread, and more mainstream, than belief in bigfoot has ever been.

Santa Claus and dragons may not be an ideal comparison, but fairies very much are.
__________________
"Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it."
-- Anonymous Slashdot poster
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore."
-- James Nicoll

Last edited by xtifr; 27th September 2012 at 01:27 PM.
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 01:32 PM   #336
Resume
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,344
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
You're correct; it's actually worse.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2012, 07:29 PM   #337
I Am He
Critical Thinker
 
I Am He's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 265
Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
Are you guys still comparing Bigfoot to Santa Claus, fairies and dragons? Unreliable evidence doesn't mean no evidence.
You always pop in now and then with these little tidbits but never ones have you shown anything to back it up, why is that, OS?








I Am He
__________________
I see you're playing stupid again, looks like you're winning
I Am He is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 06:46 PM   #338
AttorneyTom
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 883
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Think about what you are saying.

When Santa Claus comes to my house, we leave a little plate with cookies on it, and a full bottle of a Michigan Craft Beer, typically an IPA.

The next morning there are only crumbs on the plate, and the bottle is empty, there are presents under the tree, clearly evidence that Santa was there.

Burp.
I missed out ! Not the cookies the other !! All of that milk that went down the drain... sigh.
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2012, 07:49 PM   #339
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,260
This is just getting weird, and stupid.

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2012/10/05/bigfoot-ipo
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:41 AM   #340
parnassus
Master Poster
 
parnassus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,566
NY to footer: Not havin' it.

Quote:
In a response letter to Peter Wierner, the founder of the Chautauqua Lake Bigfoot Expo, who called for a ban on hunting Squatches in New York, the [state Department of Environmental Conservation] wrote the following:
Quote:
The mythical animal does not exist in nature or otherwise. I understand, however, that some well organized hoaxes or pranks have occurred, leading some people to believe that such an animal does live. However, the simple truth of the matter is that there is no such animal anywhere in the world. I am sorry to disappoint you. However, no program or action in relation to mythical animals is warranted.

(signed)
Gordon R. Batcheller
Chief Wildlife Biologist
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
I'm sure that the bleevers will submit that Mr. Batcheller's judgement is apparently clouded by his intelligence, education, training, experience, common sense, and the fact that no biologic evidence of the mythical animal has ever been shown to exist.

I myself must wonder whether Mr. Batcheller's comments may also be related to a certain unease with the sincerity of Mr. Wierner and a certain cynicism regarding the "Chautauqua Lake Bigfoot Expo", which was first held last year and appears to be a blatant tourist trap; interestingly, the location is also the site of the Jack Links fishing contest.

I am not kidding you. Google is your friend.

But I am sure that the cleverly named We Wan Chu Cottages, hosts of the "Expo" on Lake Chautaqua really don't "Want You' enough to waste the time of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation with a silly publicity stunt letter intended to aid in some sort of flim flam operation.

Right.
__________________
"Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress but they regard the things government does for others as socialism."---Earl Warren

Last edited by parnassus; 21st November 2012 at 09:12 AM.
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 08:51 AM   #341
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,664
Now that's an appropriate response, and it's extra-cool because I've met that guy.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:16 AM   #342
parnassus
Master Poster
 
parnassus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,566
obtw, Mr. Wierner, "founder" of the Bigfoot blah blah Expo and courageous advocate (oh my yes) for bigfoot protection, is, in real life, in fact, the owner of We Wan Chu Cottages. Who would have guessed?

on a related note, does the "bigfoot protection" letter mean that Sally Ramey (erstwhile PR flack for the estimable Dr. Ketchum) has surfaced in NY state? or Did Mr. Wierner simply cop the idea from Ramey/Ketchum's hugely successful Facebook campaign?
__________________
"Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress but they regard the things government does for others as socialism."---Earl Warren

Last edited by parnassus; 21st November 2012 at 09:42 AM.
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:39 AM   #343
parnassus
Master Poster
 
parnassus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,566
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Now that's an appropriate response, and it's extra-cool because I've met that guy.
He prolly is just paraphrasing your statements. Or perhaps you are his sockpuppet. Happens....
(to mods: just kidding.)
__________________
"Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress but they regard the things government does for others as socialism."---Earl Warren
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 04:11 PM   #344
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
Apparently New York got tired of footers trying to manipulate them:

Dear Mr. Weimer,
Commissioner Martens asked me to reply to your letter concerning the protection of an animal known to some as “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch.”
This mythical animal does not exist in nature or otherwise. I understand, however, that some well organized hoaxes or pranks have occurred, leading some people to believe that such an animal does live.
However, the simple truth of the matter is that there is no such animal anywhere in the World.
I am sorry to disappoint you. However, no program or action in relation to mythical animals is warranted.
On the other hand, New York State has a great richness of naturally occurring wildlife, and we work hard to ensure that these species are managed appropriately, including highly regulated hunting and trapping opportunities. We also work hard to restore and protect rare species. I wish you the best as you enjoy New York’s abundant wildlife resources.
Thank you for writing us.
Sincerely,
Gordon R. Batcheller
Chief Wildlife Biologist


I like the part about protecting actual endangered species. (from BF Lunch Club)
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 04:12 PM   #345
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,664
Yep, I've met Mr. Batcheller. I took him birding once about 5 years ago. We didn't talk bigfoot, so I can't claim credit for his awesome response on behalf of the DEC.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 04:14 PM   #346
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
Whoops, guess Parnassus is already on this one above. Oh well, it deserves repeating.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:38 PM   #347
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,068
Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
The problem is, we live such soft lives anymore - not having to hunt or gather our food - that people really want to be scared and will pay big bucks for it - maybe it makes them feel alive. Why else would monster and vampire and ghost and Bigfoot stuff be so popular? And the Bigfootery types, well, I have to give some of them credit, at least they like to be out in nature. The rest of the world seems to think the natural world can be found at the mall.
Well, this is my peeve with the whole thing and I don't give them credit.

You can have real adventure. In a thousand ways too, from scuba to sky diving, to mountain climbing, to expeditions in the deep Amazon. There are challenges having nothing to do with nature per se too, like running the Boston Marathon or whatever - something that takes honest to goodness guts.

This is a way of pretending to do so. I disagree that they get out in nature, beyond staging photos of themsleves to conceal the fact they are five feet from the road. They generate the appearance of getting out in nature. This is the lazy man's con-game, where they are specifically avoiding any kind of real work or challenge.

Tens of millions of people regularly go to exactly the same places they stage these Finding Bigfoot shows, to cook weenies on the fire, play frisbee, walk their dogs, drink a couple of beers - and they aren't pretending to be stalking dragons.

Speaking of which! My mother and her 95 year old boyfriend rent a cabin at Chatauqua every year. They have a big cultrural center with plays and musical performances, so this is what she says she is doing whereas you have people 75 years younger than Fred saying they are at the very same place facing 800 lb. monsters.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 05:42 PM   #348
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Well, this is my peeve with the whole thing and I don't give them credit.

This is a way of pretending to do so. I disagree that they get out in nature, beyond staging photos of themsleves to conceal the fact they are five feet from the road. They generate the appearance of getting out in nature. This is the lazy man's con-game, where they are specifically avoiding any kind of real work or challenge.
I see your point, but there are indeed footers who get out in the woods. Wasn't referencing the Bobo clowns. And sure, there are lots of armchair footers, too.

But in general, most of the people I know who get out in the woods on a regular basis don't believe in Bigfoot. They know if it were real, they would've seen one by now.

And very cool that your mom gets out. I was staying at a cabin in the Tetons one summer and met a very elderly gal who had been coming there every summer since she was about 5 - she said it had been for 92 years she'd been going there every summer.

Last edited by Sonny2; 21st November 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 09:07 PM   #349
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
This is kind of old news, but funny in a British sort of way:

http://www.popehat.com/2012/06/21/if...-does-he-have/

This could not stand. Johnsen had no choice but to defend his reputation. Duels having sadly fallen out of favor — for let me assure you, a duel between experienced Bigfoot hunters is a thing of grave and terrible majesty
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:32 PM   #350
Jodie
Master Poster
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,555
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm just thankful we have the luxury of being concerned about the fate of all bigfoot hunters.
__________________
testis unus, testis nullus
quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:44 PM   #351
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life
 
RedRatSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southie, Massachusetts.
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'm just thankful we have the luxury of being concerned about the fate of all bigfoot hunters.
Well ! I should hope so.. If those stupid bastards weren't out there ~ What The HELL would we have to do ????
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 10:49 PM   #352
Jodie
Master Poster
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,555
I'm still getting over The Life of PI. It's not the next Avatar despite what the reviews might say.

Which kind of reminds me of bigfootery in that there are plenty of magical tales with more realistic explanations but the outcome is always the same, no bigfoot. Which story is better?
__________________
testis unus, testis nullus
quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Last edited by Jodie; 21st November 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 11:10 PM   #353
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,068
Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
I see your point, but there are indeed footers who get out in the woods.
This is a pleasant conversation so I hope I don't convey otherwise.

I would like to see what any self-proclaimed 'footer actually does insofar as getting out in the woods. None of the ones I see offering themselves as "researchers" put any significant time at all into it.

The TBRC people for example - what a pack of clowns. They put a few nights into a cabin a year, cowering inside and taking notes of themselves peeing their drawers. Not even opening the window to shine a headlamp outside.

People live full time in that area and they're out on their porches drinking iced tea like any other night and the bigfoot idiots are pretending they're under attack by martian invaders. This is indicative of being a complete moron, not indicative of experience.

That is to say, even the time the bigfoot researchers accredit to themselves on their major "expeditions" - this is less experience than my elderly mother got visiting here last month. It's sort of like going to a museum and hiding in the closet instead of looking at exhibits. Sure, you went to the museum but the way you did it doesn't actually get you any museum experience worth talking about.

I don't know because I do not follow the Bigfoot Forum, but if this were populated by people who got out regularly wouldn't there be a whole section of the forum where all three thousand members reported on their weekly expeditions? Wouldn't there be a hundred thousand threads going at the same time called "expedition reports" or something like that?

That was a cute article.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:55 AM   #354
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 415
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
I would like to see what any self-proclaimed 'footer actually does insofar as getting out in the woods. None of the ones I see offering themselves as "researchers" put any significant time at all into it.

The TBRC people for example - what a pack of clowns. They put a few nights into a cabin a year, cowering inside and taking notes of themselves peeing their drawers. Not even opening the window to shine a headlamp outside.
Since I lean toward the TBRC thing as a complete pack of lies (and not 3rd party hoaxing) one does wonder why the footers so often describe themselves in less than flattering terms.

Coward in Indiana (AKA Guy in Indiana) of the Michigan liars had a BF cross the road in front of his vehicle and it scared him so bad he high tailed it back to camp. He's been camping out in a cow pasture for years, finally sees a BF, and then hightails it to camp without bothering to investigate.

And read the whopper of a tale spun by WGBH. A peaceful, leaf munching wood ape causes him decades of mental anguish. WTH?

If you are going to lie about BF, why make youself out to be cowardly, etc?

Last edited by clayflingythingy; 22nd November 2012 at 06:09 AM.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:48 AM   #355
parnassus
Master Poster
 
parnassus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,566
I seriously doubt that a group of men would devote as much time and energy to their project, as do the TBRC, unless the great majority, if not all, were convinced of the reality of their goal. I strongly suspect the locals/owners of the property as being the primary hoaxers...I could list a dozen reasons why. Once they "got the ball rolling", it would tend to self-perpetuate. This is a snipe hunt on a mega scale. The rich Texans are being played for fools. Hilarity ensues amongst the Sooners (that is slang for people from OK).
__________________
"Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress but they regard the things government does for others as socialism."---Earl Warren

Last edited by parnassus; 22nd November 2012 at 09:51 AM.
parnassus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:13 AM   #356
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 415
Parn,

Please list your dozen reasons. While it is possible there is a 3rd party hoax going on, based on statments by Bipto and Hairy Man I tend to discount it. I see it as a "big lie" in an attempt to attain top tier footer status.

Despite the oft repeated claim there is no money in BF, Moneygrubber, Meldrum, Noll, etc have shown there is money to be made from BF. I see the TBRC as a hoax and attempt to position themselves to make $. Hairy Man, in this scenario, is attempting to position herself as the female Meldrum.

ETA: Look at the $ TheMelba apparently scammed from a fool. IIRC, at one time Parn, you actually thought there would be a paper, of some sort, some where. It was apparently a BF scam from the beginning. That how I view the TBRC. A scam while they try to figure out how to profit from their hoax. In the meantime, they get away from the pressures of work and family, drink a few beers (probably) and have a good time. That's all reason enuff to lie about BF.

Please post your 12 reaasons as to why the enitre TBRC are gullible fools as this is a third party hoax.

Last edited by clayflingythingy; 22nd November 2012 at 10:27 AM.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:40 AM   #357
Castro
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
I seriously doubt that a group of men would devote as much time and energy to their project, as do the TBRC, unless the great majority, if not all, were convinced of the reality of their goal. I strongly suspect the locals/owners of the property as being the primary hoaxers...I could list a dozen reasons why. Once they "got the ball rolling", it would tend to self-perpetuate. This is a snipe hunt on a mega scale. The rich Texans are being played for fools. Hilarity ensues amongst the Sooners (that is slang for people from OK).
That would imply that all of the TBRC members are either stupid or gullible. I don't think it's the case, at least for their "Marketing and Communications Coordinator", IMO.
Who needs a "Marketing and Communications Coordinator" BTW, and what is he supposed to do ?

Last edited by Castro; 22nd November 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:26 AM   #358
mikeyx
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,570
Originally Posted by clayflingythingy View Post
Parn,

Please list your dozen reasons. While it is possible there is a 3rd party hoax going on, based on statments by Bipto and Hairy Man I tend to discount it. I see it as a "big lie" in an attempt to attain top tier footer status.

Despite the oft repeated claim there is no money in BF, Moneygrubber, Meldrum, Noll, etc have shown there is money to be made from BF. I see the TBRC as a hoax and attempt to position themselves to make $. Hairy Man, in this scenario, is attempting to position herself as the female Meldrum.

ETA: Look at the $ TheMelba apparently scammed from a fool. IIRC, at one time Parn, you actually thought there would be a paper, of some sort, some where. It was apparently a BF scam from the beginning. That how I view the TBRC. A scam while they try to figure out how to profit from their hoax. In the meantime, they get away from the pressures of work and family, drink a few beers (probably) and have a good time. That's all reason enuff to lie about BF.

Please post your 12 reaasons as to why the enitre TBRC are gullible fools as this is a third party hoax.
They're already seen as top footers by their BFF buddies, but I don't discount the financial leverage angle.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:01 PM   #359
Sonny2
Muse
 
Sonny2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dust on the Wind
Posts: 669
It's just a members-only club for these guys to go and pretend they're doing something while they cook up their own entertainment.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:59 PM   #360
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,260
Agreed, it's a way to play in the woods and write it all off.
I doubt there is any hoaxing going on, except by them on their occasion visitors.
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.