JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 29th November 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

Hilarious Australian Train Safety Ad

The Guardian reports a video made by the Australian Metro warning people not to find any "dumb ways to die" around the trains.

I don't know how effective it will be but it made me laugh a lot with their run-down of hypothetical Darwin-award-winning behaviour. Please watch:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...s-to-die-video
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
coalesce
Illuminator

Wonderful, thanks for posting.

Michael
Old 29th November 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
richardm
Philosopher

Haha, that is fantastic
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:45 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The youtube comments remind me of this place, instead of enjoying a cute little cartoon, people are bitching about references to North American animals in an Australian advert
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #5
KatieG
Master Poster

I love this so much! The song might hit #1 at this rate.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

That was hilarious..
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:01 AM   #7
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I didn't really see it as all that funny. I think it's sad there's the need to equate such stupid ways to die with the very real dangers associated with their service.

Clever as it maybe, the video is essentially saying "wake-up you morons".

"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley
DGM is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The youtube comments remind me of this place, instead of enjoying a cute little cartoon, people are bitching about references to North American animals in an Australian advert
I wonder if this was done by an American ad agency. The rattlesnake surprised me a bit, as Australia has no shortage of indigenous venomous snakes. I suppose you could also substitute crocodile for grizzly bear.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:11 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I didn't really see it as all that funny. I think it's sad there's the need to equate such stupid ways to die with the very real dangers associated with their service.

Yes, it's saying, "wake up you morons" and it is funny.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

They should have said "so many STUPID ways to die. Dumb means unable to speak.
Australia also does not have any grizzly bears. Not to mention rattlesnakes.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:22 PM   #11
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The Guardian reports a video made by the Australian Metro warning people not to find any "dumb ways to die" around the trains.

I don't know how effective it will be but it made me laugh a lot with their run-down of hypothetical Darwin-award-winning behaviour. Please watch:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...s-to-die-video

Love it.

Though now I have an earworm. Grr.

Last edited by LashL; 29th November 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: "though"
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:22 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes, it's saying, "wake up you morons" and it is funny.
Spot on. Sad to say, people in Melbourne die every year by doing stupid things around trains. If you are going to have a public safety ad, it's a pretty good idea you make one people will watch.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Alan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Tram safety posters have been based around rhino imagery for a while.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 07:59 PM   #14
megaresp
Muse

Well this is the country that gave the world the 'Drink. Drive. Bloody idiot' campaign. 'Wake-up you morons' is actually toning it down a bit.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
megaresp
Muse

The word 'dumb' has a colloquial meaning in widespread use throughout the entire English-speaking world.

If you're going to be a tedious pedant you could at least have the courtesy to do your homework.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:27 PM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Why yes, yes it is!!! And I suspect they had a reason or three to think that!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Why yes, yes it is!!! And I suspect they had a reason or three to think that!!!
There's nothing much more idiotic than cars driving around level crossing barriers, yet you see it happen regularly. I'll pull up a few you tubes of this happening.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In fact, "mute" is the preferred term for someone who is unable to speak, precisely because dumb also means stupid.
Jadey (in RvB game thread): I just want to take a moment to commend Arth on his role as Parasitic Alien Tumor. I think he really connected with the character and there were times when I forgot that he was just acting. That's the kind of talent that you can't teach.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 08:55 PM   #19
GrouchoMarxist
Cowardly insulter of Buddhism

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I wonder if this was done by an American ad agency. The rattlesnake surprised me a bit, as Australia has no shortage of indigenous venomous snakes. I suppose you could also substitute crocodile for grizzly bear.
Set fire to your hair
poke a stick at a crocodile
I can't put my finger on it, but grizzly bear seems to work better for some reason.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:17 PM   #20
angrysoba
Philosophile

So what? There are no lions in Britain. No unicorns, either.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:28 PM   #21
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

I first saw the video on YouTube about a week ago. Currently has almost 29 million views.
Corsair 115 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:29 PM   #22
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
I first saw the video on YouTube about a week ago. Currently has almost 29 million views.
Looks like I'm late to the party once again.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:31 PM   #23
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like I'm late to the party once again.

You are the first to start a thread about it though. And you did introduce the video to some people who hadn't seen it yet. Both good things in my book.
Corsair 115 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 10:06 PM   #24
SUSpilot
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There's nothing much more idiotic than cars driving around level crossing barriers, yet you see it happen regularly. I'll pull up a few you tubes of this happening.
Try being on the locomotive of a 10,000 ton train and watch it. Fortunately, I've never actually seen someone get hit...
SUSpilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:18 PM   #25
SezMe
post-pre-born

Dumb ways to die don't just occur in Oz.
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I thought it was great!
Old 29th November 2012, 11:45 PM   #27
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

How about a video that was inspired by Dumb Ways To Die, about Mars rover Curiosity's not so spectacular discovery:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th November 2012, 11:57 PM   #28
Joey McGee
Transcendental Naturalist

Ok a dumb way to die is to fly your plane improperly and decapitate yourself by flying it and landing it upside down. I would have prefered a cartoon about lots of real ways to die, like trying to get something out of an electrical outlet with a butter knife, or making toast while having a bath. ****, those crazy videos they showed us in grade one were more brtual than this! haha
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 12:18 AM   #29
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Not many people could name off the deadly venomous snakes in Australia, but the rattlesnake has been made popular around the world in our movies, so most people know to to get freaky with one.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:28 AM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

To answer CORed's question above, it was an Australian advertising company responsible for some iconic Australian ads since the 60s (including "Louie the Fly" for the aged Aussies who might be here).

And believe it or not, we have heard of rattle snakes and grizzly bears. Fancy that.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th November 2012, 02:01 AM   #31
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The damn song kept going through my mind as I was chopping kindling this morning. My woodsman skills are shaky at best and it quite but me off my stroke.

Chop you leg off with an axe....
...so you can't run when a badger attacks
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 02:27 AM   #32
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Not many people could name off the deadly venomous snakes in Australia, but the rattlesnake has been made popular around the world in our movies, so most people know to to get freaky with one.
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons mentioned. While technically true, since most people (in the world) do not live in Australia. I would still expect most adult Australians to know the natural dangers of their own country.

To answer CORed's question above, it was an Australian advertising company responsible for some iconic Australian ads since the 60s (including "Louie the Fly" for the aged Aussies who might be here).

And believe it or not, we have heard of rattle snakes and grizzly bears. Fancy that.
That's impossible. Australia is on the opposite side of the world from the US. In order for you guys to have such widespread knowledge of Americana there would have to some sort of way for instant communication between the countries, like some globe spanning lattice of tubes. I think not!!
Old 30th November 2012, 02:36 AM   #33
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons mentioned. While technically true, since most people (in the world) do not live in Australia. I would still expect most adult Australians to know the natural dangers of their own country.
Too right cobber!

Fact is, I have animals just over my back fence that can kill me. I've killed three Eastern Brown Snakes in my time (yeah, yeah, I know they're protected). "Eastern Brown Snake" wouldn't quite scan as well as rattlesnake.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th November 2012, 03:44 AM   #34
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
How about a video that was inspired by Dumb Ways To Die, about Mars rover Curiosity's not so spectacular discovery:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Clever!
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 03:51 AM   #35
anglolawyer
Philosopher

So what? There are no lions in Britain. No unicorns, either.
Yes there are.
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 03:58 AM   #36
anglolawyer
Philosopher

I think some here may be missing the point of the Ad, so I am going to explain it. Up until the railway deaths, the others are all so completely crazy they make you laugh. It's their craziness that matters, not their Aussieness (the Aussies don't have a manned space programme, as well as not having rattlesnakes or grizzlies but the population has probably heard of all these things). Then you come to three much more realistic types of folly associated with the railways and it juxtaposes those things with the fantasy ones, thus saying: 'you laughed, right? But this is what people really do on our railways! Can you believe it? Don't be one of them.' [/patronising lecture]

Last edited by anglolawyer; 30th November 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Wanted to say 'juxtapose'
anglolawyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 04:01 AM   #37
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well said anglolawyer.

The important thing is that needless deaths on railways has been exposed.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th November 2012, 05:47 AM   #38
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well said anglolawyer.

The important thing is that needless deaths on railways has been exposed.
Are there other kinds of railway deaths ? Does Australia have the concept of needed railway deaths ?

Edited to add....

Yes, I know, as opposed to deaths that are accident not due to the dead person's folly
Old 30th November 2012, 05:52 AM   #39
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by anglolawyer View Post
Yes there are.
Well, in zoos and "safari parks", but by that token there are also grizzly bears and rattlesnakes and...er...meese(?) in Australia.

And I notice you didn't correct me on the unicorns.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:13 AM   #40
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Too right cobber!

Fact is, I have animals just over my back fence that can kill me. I've killed three Eastern Brown Snakes in my time (yeah, yeah, I know they're protected). "Eastern Brown Snake" wouldn't quite scan as well as rattlesnake.
The only way an eastern brown snake is going to kill you is if the ambulance takes 6 hours to get there or you're misdiagnosed. And that's the second most venomous snake in the world based on LD50 results. Even untreated the mortality rate is only 10-20%.

Now, that's not to say that it won't hurt like hell and put you in hospital for a few days, but the fact is the last time a death was recorded from an eastern brown was over 5 years ago, and that was from a young girl who was misdiagnosed.

http://toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fu...play&id=SN0533

Also, the most likely way to get bitten by an eastern brown? Trying to kill it.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events