JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags introduce , members , newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 15th November 2012, 07:08 PM   #1401
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Hi. I'm Baffled. I joined pretty much just so I could search for certain posters' posts.

I wanted to call myself Gord, but you already have a Gord. I was also about 90% certain I'd joined a while ago, but I never believe my 90% certainties, so I tried to find a post by Gord to see if it was me, but I couldn't, so I tried to log in so I could search for one, and then I remembered I didn't know something something something.

...so I'm Baffled.

Also, one of my favourite movie lines of all times comes from the movie Wolfen, when a bit character is reading a newspaper article while with an annoyed police officer about the case he's working on: "What does 'BA-fulled' mean?" That's worth being Baffled all by itself.
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 08:04 PM   #1402
BitterChimp
Scholar

Hello. I'm Dugan. Glad to be here.
BitterChimp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:16 AM   #1403
Acleron
Master Poster

Hi Baffled and BitterChimp. Welcome to possibly the coolest site on teh intertubes.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 11:38 AM   #1404
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
Hi. I'm Baffled. I joined pretty much just so I could search for certain posters' posts.

I wanted to call myself Gord, but you already have a Gord. I was also about 90% certain I'd joined a while ago, but I never believe my 90% certainties, so I tried to find a post by Gord to see if it was me, but I couldn't, so I tried to log in so I could search for one, and then I remembered I didn't know something something something.

...so I'm Baffled.

Also, one of my favourite movie lines of all times comes from the movie Wolfen, when a bit character is reading a newspaper article while with an annoyed police officer about the case he's working on: "What does 'BA-fulled' mean?" That's worth being Baffled all by itself.

Welcome Baffled, citing the movie ‘Wolfen’, excellent . A pleasure to meet a fellow poster with such an eclectic taste in cinema. I remember the scene but had forgotten what movie it was from.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 03:03 PM   #1405
shmameron
New Blood

Hello!
I'm an undergraduate student in physics, a former Mormon, and a new skeptic. Glad to see that there are others out there who share my skeptical viewpoints. There aren't many skeptical people around me, so I'm hoping to get some good knowledge from this forum to help me spread some skeptical thinking.
Also, hoping to go to TAM next year!
shmameron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 05:19 PM   #1406
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Welcome Baffled, citing the movie ‘Wolfen’, excellent . A pleasure to meet a fellow poster with such an eclectic taste in cinema.
I remember seeing it in the theater. One scene scared me so much, I fell out of my seat. Rolling around on the floor, black jujubes on my back, guy in the seat behind me laughing at me, the works.

Quote:
I remember the scene but had forgotten what movie it was from.
Excellent! I...may be wrong about which movie it's from, too. But I think it's Wolfen! Still, no matter what the movie:

"Whut does 'in-COM-peh-tent' mean? What does 'BAH-fulled' mean?"

Classic.

...oh wait, look at that: It's actually from Highlander.

Quote:
Tony the Hotdog Vendor: [as Tony reads a newspaper headlined: Headhunter-3, Cops-Zero] Hey Moran! Have you read what it says in here?
Lieutenant Frank Moran: You kiddin' Tony? You know cops can't read.
Tony the Hotdog Vendor: [Teasingly to Moran] What does 'INCOMPETENT' mean?
Lieutenant Frank Moran: [Speaking to Detective Bedsoe] That mayor, he calls me at 2 o'clock in the morning! I mean I don't even answer the phone anymore!
Tony the Hotdog Vendor: Hey! What does 'BAFFLED' mean? Hee hee hee hee! Ha ha ha ha!
[Moran and Bledsoe give Tony an irritated look]
Well, you what they say about memory: something something something faulty something!

youtube video: watch?v=K-1Q8iS4RK0
Baffled is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 08:30 PM   #1407
BitterChimp
Scholar

Is there a point system in place here where members are awarded points for calling out logical fallacies by name in an argument?

Seems like there might be.

NO TRUE SCOTTSMAN!! APPEAL TO AUTHORITY! STRAW MAAAN!
BitterChimp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 02:02 PM   #1408
asydhouse
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shmameron View Post
Hello!
I'm an undergraduate student in physics, a former Mormon, and a new skeptic. Glad to see that there are others out there who share my skeptical viewpoints. There aren't many skeptical people around me, so I'm hoping to get some good knowledge from this forum to help me spread some skeptical thinking.
Also, hoping to go to TAM next year!
Well I'm pretty well still a newbie myself, shmameron, but as I happen to have stumbled in here and spotted yr post, I thought I'd better say hello, and welcome!

You are not alone in being an escapee from Mormonism's sugary bitter pill... I've not mentioned this before on JREF, but I was dragged into it by my parents after we got missionaried when I was 14. I only joined because I was an only child and felt I wanted to keep together with my family, just the three of us as it was. But I was never comfortable, and it got weirder the more I learned, and I just had to get out.... but it caused me problems (in mind and in life) for at least a couple of decades, on and off. It's thanks to people such as those who keep up the good atheist and scientific worldview explanations on JREF and Skepticblog and Science-based Medicine etc that have helped me to slowly remove all magical thinking from my habits of thinking.... and I feel so much freer as a result! Peace of mind in an indifferent universe. Bliss!

I've also spotted that Randfan is another exmormon, too, though I haven't spoken to him about it, and know nothing of his story.

Anyway, welcome! And good on you for finding the strength to leave the mormon community. It's not easy.
asydhouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 04:20 PM   #1409
The Man

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
I remember seeing it in the theater. One scene scared me so much, I fell out of my seat. Rolling around on the floor, black jujubes on my back, guy in the seat behind me laughing at me, the works.

Excellent! I...may be wrong about which movie it's from, too. But I think it's Wolfen! Still, no matter what the movie:

"Whut does 'in-COM-peh-tent' mean? What does 'BAH-fulled' mean?"

Classic.

...oh wait, look at that: It's actually from Highlander.

Well, you what they say about memory: something something something faulty something!

youtube video: watch?v=K-1Q8iS4RK0
Ah, there ya go, thanks.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 11:02 PM   #1410
Ronja
New Blood

Hi! I'm an ex-nurse who became a software engineer. I have lived most of my life in Helsinki, Finland, EU after a childhood in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Family consists of hubby and two daughters (now 11 and 13). I'm functionally trilingual (English, Swedish, Finnish) and work as a translator, proofreader/editor and technical writer ATM.

I have read stuff here every now and then pretty much ever since I joined the now defunct Richard Dawkins Foundation's Forums in 2007, but did not get up the umph to join before now. You can maybe thank/blame Rolfe & Co. the most, for making the thread about Savita Halappanavar's untimely and cruel death both compassionate and very informative. That thread finally convinced me to register.

I'm a member of some other Internet fora, such as Rationalia, RationalSkepticism and ADDforums.

Anything else I should tell?
Ronja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2012, 06:38 AM   #1411
The Man

Originally Posted by Ronja View Post
Hi! I'm an ex-nurse who became a software engineer. I have lived most of my life in Helsinki, Finland, EU after a childhood in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Family consists of hubby and two daughters (now 11 and 13). I'm functionally trilingual (English, Swedish, Finnish) and work as a translator, proofreader/editor and technical writer ATM.

I have read stuff here every now and then pretty much ever since I joined the now defunct Richard Dawkins Foundation's Forums in 2007, but did not get up the umph to join before now. You can maybe thank/blame Rolfe & Co. the most, for making the thread about Savita Halappanavar's untimely and cruel death both compassionate and very informative. That thread finally convinced me to register.

I'm a member of some other Internet fora, such as Rationalia, RationalSkepticism and ADDforums.

Anything else I should tell?

Welcome Ronja, "an ex-nurse who became a software engineer" so hardware to software? Ah, the teen kids, been there, though not my own. Still, programs run the same, dependent on the hardware and its time sharing system.

Many have come here from the now defunct Richard Dawkins Foundation's Forums (though I never had imbibed of that forum myself). So I think you'll find yourself in good company and heated debates. While language is one of my hobbies, I can only practice just the one and still have problems with just that.

Welcome, everyone.
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:32 PM   #1412
skinnys son
New Blood

Hi my father was Mr.Skinny and he always really liked this site did anyone out there talk with him. I'm here because I liked some of the posts he used to show me.
skinnys son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:56 PM   #1413
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by skinnys son View Post
Hi my father was Mr.Skinny and he always really liked this site did anyone out there talk with him. I'm here because I liked some of the posts he used to show me.
Welcome, indeed. I suppose you should go get all embarrassed and look up how proud your dad was of you kids.

Mr. Skinny is still dearly missed. He was a great guy and had one of the most amazing outlooks I've encountered. We exchanged some discussion on his condition after I'd gone through my triple bypass and had certain quality management interests in common, so we exchanged PMs quite often.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:31 PM   #1414
AdMan
Philosopher

There were many tributes to your dad's memory at TAM 2012. I didn't know him well here, but I was impressed by how much he was liked, and is missed.

Welcome.

Last edited by AdMan; 22nd November 2012 at 06:32 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:35 PM   #1415
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your dad was a regular in the chatroom at skepticsrock.com. I invite you to come visit us who still remember Mr Skinny fondly.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:40 PM   #1416
hcmom
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Your dad was a regular in the chatroom at skepticsrock.com. I invite you to come visit us who still remember Mr Skinny fondly.
Seconded.

hcmom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:36 PM   #1417
cgordon
Muse

Back again!

Not exactly a new member, but have been inactive for a while.

I think 2009 or 2010 or so since I was last really active.

So, um, hey!

cg
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:35 PM   #1418
CaptBang
Scholar

Smoke crack and worship Satan!

Greetings.
CaptBang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 01:23 PM   #1419
Passingby100
New Blood

Hello everyone.
I've been running around life at the age of 21 not quite sure what to do about it.
Before I heard about Randi back in high school I never realized there was a group for skeptics.
Back then I just called it thinking.
Oddly enough I live about 7 miles from Randi himself.
Not sure what I want to do in life, and I thought maybe id come here and see if I found some good ideas.
Currently working for a Tech support company, but i've decided it isnt something I want to continue

Last edited by Passingby100; 24th November 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Passingby100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 03:38 PM   #1420
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Passingby100 View Post
Hello everyone.
I've been running around life at the age of 21 not quite sure what to do about it.
Before I heard about Randi back in high school I never realized there was a group for skeptics.
Back then I just called it thinking.
Oddly enough I live about 7 miles from Randi himself.
Not sure what I want to do in life, and I thought maybe id come here and see if I found some good ideas.
Currently working for a Tech support company, but i've decided it isnt something I want to continue
Hi, welcome and I hope you aren't just passing by
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:19 AM   #1421
Zippy Omicron
Scholar

Saying Hello

Hello Everyone.

I have been a lurker for several years, and now I decided to join and post some commentaries/inquiries when I can.

My field of expertise is far, far, far, away from cryptozoology, which intrigues me, as well as other things that apparently have discussion threads here.

When I get more time, I will post a little bit more about myself, but it may be in other threads, as mentions in passing for discussions.

I have also been reading the postings on the "Big Foot Forums" on another website, and the pervasive "True Believer/Based on Faith" thematics bother me greatly.

One doesn't find that here on JREF, and that makes me feel comfortable.
Zippy Omicron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 09:33 AM   #1422
thomowen20
New Blood

Red face New

Hey, I'm new. My name is Thom. I am an Aries (probably doesn't matter here). I like swimming, horseback riding, chess and black and white movies. I am the founding and sole member of my community's underwater chess team and after school mentoring program. That last one I've kept to myself up to now, lol! Anyway, I have come for intelligent discussion, friends and good times. Thanks for having me!
thomowen20 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:10 AM   #1423
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thomowen20 View Post

Hey, I'm new. My name is Thom. I am an Aries (probably doesn't matter here). I like swimming, horseback riding, chess and black and white movies. I am the founding and sole member of my community's underwater chess team and after school mentoring program. That last one I've kept to myself up to now, lol! Anyway, I have come for intelligent discussion, friends and good times. Thanks for having me!
Welcome Thom, sometime, not now, you will really have to explain the attractions of underwater chess.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:08 PM   #1424
bobdude11
New Blood

Thumbs up Great forum!

Hi,
My name is Robert. I initially ended up here following a link for Apollo hoax threads. I am glad I did because I never fully appreciated the Apollo project until I read some of the posts by Jay, STS60, et. al.

I knew it was a brilliant undertaking, but until you see what truly went into it, you cannot fathom just how brilliant!

I look forward to participating (if I can find something I actually know about on here) ... I am a long time computer geek and I have been interested in space and aeronautics for my entire life (I just don't have the kind of knowledge or expertise that others do ... now if you need your computer fixed, THAT is a different story ... ) - I hope to learn much more as I enjoy all of the posts on here!
bobdude11 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:53 PM   #1425
iawai
New Blood

Hello all.

I am a skeptic's skeptic. I've been familiar with James Randi and skepticism for over 15 years.

I'm a fan of Penn Jillette, and recently heard his show (Penn's Sunday School) recorded at this year's TAM, reminding me of my skeptic past.

I have formal training in Mathematics, Physics, and Law. I hope my viewpoint proves valuable to the Forums here.
iawai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:01 PM   #1426
AdMan
Philosopher

Welcome, iawai, bobdude11, thom and Zippy and all other newcomers.

Enjoy your time at the JREF forums. Hope you are able to contribute and make new friends.
Old 1st December 2012, 02:15 PM   #1427
panama
New Blood

Hello...I'm here too...now.
panama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 04:18 PM   #1428
booNyzarC
Scholar

Hello Jref!

I've been admiring the fine work that many of the membership here have been up to for a long time now, and I've decided that it was time to join in the hopes that I might have some small contributions to offer at some point.

Cheers!
-booNy
booNyzarC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 10:49 PM   #1429
Janadele
Master Poster

Indeed it has.
Originally Posted by amb View Post
Liberal has different meanings in the States and Australia. Over here Liberals are right wing as are the Republicans are in the States. Although lately, the thin line that separates the main political parties here has gotten even thinner.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 10:58 PM   #1430
Janadele
Master Poster

Hi all
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:44 PM   #1431
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Smile

Originally Posted by Janadele View Post
Hi all
Hello one. :-)
Old 4th December 2012, 07:28 AM   #1432
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Hi panama, iawai, BooNy, Janadele, Robert,

A lot of new faces, great. Please come in, take off your raincoat/sombrero/parka/sunglasses/<insert locally appropriate outdoorsy accessory>, pull up a thread of your liking and settle in.
Welcome to the forum, take your time to get the feel of this place. And when you are ready, just chime in. There is a topic for everybody.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 04:03 PM   #1433
booNyzarC
Scholar

Thank you for the warm welcome Femke.
booNyzarC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 03:45 PM   #1434
Mightyhorse
New Blood

Hey y'all

New to the forum, liked reading the posts, decided to join so I can add my two cents.
Mightyhorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 04:06 PM   #1435
Mightyhorse
New Blood

BTW, shouldn't this be in the Members Only section?
Mightyhorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 06:54 PM   #1436
halleyscomet
Master Poster

I'm Halleyscomet. I came here because the SGU Forums mention this place now and then, and it struck me as the right combination of intelligence, research, pedantry, scum and villainy to keep my interest.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 12:21 AM   #1437
pandamonium
Student

o/

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I'm Halleyscomet. I came here because the SGU Forums mention this place now and then, and it struck me as the right combination of intelligence, research, pedantry, scum and villainy to keep my interest.
The SGU whatnow?

Also, hello JREF forum. I am a new member. I like lurking. And cats. And beer. Everything else is up for debate.
pandamonium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 12:51 AM   #1438
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
You'll find me in the pedantry, scum and villainy sections.

Welcome new guys.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #1439
AnKaren
New Blood

Hello! I'm new.

I became something of a skeptic after reading "Demon Haunted World" and "Flim Flam" several years ago. I've lurked here for a while, and decided to sign up.
AnKaren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 03:20 PM   #1440
Bell
beautiful freak

Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Also, hello JREF forum. I am a new member. I like [...] cats. And beer [...]
That's all we need to know :-)

Welcome to the forums.

And welcome also to Halleyscomet (I didn't expect you right now) and AnKaren.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!