JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Education
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 8th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Zeuzzz
Banned

Pro science and eductional videos for young minds

Youtube actually has a wealth of awesome science related videos that are coming to light recently. Looking at the like/dislike/view ratios for each of these videos is extremely refreshing. Creation myths and superstitions are scorned by most people, and these awesome videos are generally embraced.

Our story in one minute.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The inner life of the cell.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Richard Feynman - Scientific curiousity. (original upload here)
I AGREE

Carl Sagan - The frontier is everywhere (original upload with 2 million views here)
I AGREE

Post any similar below
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Zeuzzz
Banned

Another cracker, courtesy of Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Does the Universe Have a Purpose? With Neil deGrasse Tyson

I AGREE
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Zeuzzz
Banned

Random image that has gone viral on facebook. The public have far better taste than people give them credit for in the media.

Maybe that's a UK biased perspective on my behalf, but it seems the general trend from where I am.

Last edited by Zeuzzz; 30th November 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 1st December 2012, 08:40 AM   #4
bobwtfomg
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Zeuzzz View Post
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...91136398_n.jpg

Random image that has gone viral on facebook. The public have far better taste than people give them credit for in the media.

Maybe that's a UK biased perspective on my behalf, but it seems the general trend from where I am.
Well if it's gone viral I'm probably not the first person to suggest that I for one have never considered scientists to be Paris Hilton, or any other hotel.

Last edited by bobwtfomg; 1st December 2012 at 08:43 AM.
bobwtfomg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Humes fork
Banned

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...91136398_n.jpg

None of my Facebook friends ever post such pictures.
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
None of my Facebook friends ever post such pictures.

Subscribe to my group then

facebook.com/natureisawesomex

That was the original page that it went viral from.
Old 5th December 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
nudger1964
Scholar

any and all of the Brady Haran University of Nottingham channels

http://www.youtube.com/user/sixtysymbols
http://www.youtube.com/user/numberphile
http://www.youtube.com/user/DeepSkyVideos
http://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BackstageScience
http://www.youtube.com/user/nottinghamscience
nudger1964 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:08 AM   #8
SomeGuy
Critical Thinker

I personally like the three minute philosophy fragments. They give the most important information with enough tongue in cheeck flippancy to keep the young entertained.

Gallileo

- source unknown (more accurately: forgotten).

Proud Asmurfist.
SomeGuy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
with enough tongue in cheeck flippancy to keep the young entertained.

Gallileo

Also enough f-bombs to keep them giggling for days
Old 24th December 2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Zeuzzz
Banned

^ "This is why science students tend to laugh at philosophy students, yet the philosophy students don't tend to care as they are too busy having sex with women"

OMFG that cracked me up!
Old 27th December 2012, 06:36 PM   #11
volcano
Critical Thinker

Not technical in the slightest, but this DVD was a HUGE hit with my nieces (2-5 years old):
Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants

ETA: Some of the videos are available on YouTube
Science Is Real
My Brother the Ape
Meet the Elements (my favorite)
And the update to their famous song "Why Does the Sun Shine?", called Why Does the Sun REALLY Shine?
(I think some of the other videos are on YouTube, too, but I haven't hunted down all of them)

Last edited by volcano; 27th December 2012 at 06:41 PM.
volcano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 06:07 AM   #12
DC
dedicated aphilatelist

as Brady's channels have been posted i post this one

http://www.youtube.com/user/scishow?feature=g-high-rec
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 06:19 AM   #13
thenigotoffthebus
Scholar

Highly recommend potholer54 videos on YouTube. Educational and humorous. He also has special versions of some of his videos specifically tailored for kids.
thenigotoffthebus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Mark6
Philosopher

^ "This is why science students tend to laugh at philosophy students, yet the philosophy students don't tend to care as they are too busy having sex with women"!
That is only true in first two years of college. By the third year, female students suss onto who will be making more money.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Education