JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags elevatorgate , evolutionary psychology , feminism , rebecca watson , sgu

Old 4th December 2012, 04:48 AM   #1
s_pepys
Muse

is the SGU burying its head in the sand?

hi all. i have been a keen listener for a few years but recently am saddened by their reluctance to even mention the current questions about the skeptism of one of their presenters.

i think if they dont address this they will lose a lot of their listeners. i, for one, am finding it difficult to listen with credibility these days.

i know they are all friends but surely a skeptical podcast should have critical thinking at its core and no-one should be above questioning.

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 04:52 AM   #2
frskeptic
Scholar

Maybe because it's a non issue.
frskeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Damn them for not letting internet drama interfere with their podcast!
Old 4th December 2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I don't think they should discuss it on the show, but to say that it is internet drama is a bit inaccurate.

In a talk she did a few days ago, Rebecca Watson has painted evolutionary psychology as, let's say, inaccurate to be generous. She did this by misrepresenting it.

I think that if the SGU were to address that for about 2 to 5 minutes, then at least they wouldn't lose face in many people's eyes.

They address other people's errors on the show, so why not their own?
Old 4th December 2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
I don't think they should discuss it on the show, but to say that it is internet drama is a bit inaccurate.
Sorry. Very important internet drama.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Ferguson
Muse

Sorry. Very important internet drama.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 07:14 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

SGU has a forum. As much a fan of the show as I am, I didn't even know there was a topic here. I like the show the way it is, leave out the drama.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

This has something to do with Stargate: Universe?
Old 4th December 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
You're right. I'm not all that sorry.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by s_pepys View Post
i think if they dont address this they will lose a lot of their listeners. i, for one, am finding it difficult to listen with credibility these days.
I hit that point over a year ago. I was thinking of adding them back to my routine when she posted that Slate article making it clear that she was above learning anything from the whole experience. Sorry, we all make mistakes and skeptics should strive to learn from those mistakes.

She is no longer a skeptic, she is an evangelical, fundamentalist feminist of her own making. Not a "feminist skeptic", "skeptical feminist", "skeptic involved in feminist issues", or a "feminist interested in skeptical inquiry". Which is fine, it just isn't interesting to have such a person on a skeptical podcast. I'd rather they politely allowed a psychic to contribute than pretend that she is a skeptic.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Pulvinar
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
This has something to do with Stargate: Universe?
St. George's University.
Pulvinar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
s_pepys
Muse

i dont mean for them to add to the "drama". they talk about brights and other movements within skepticism. this one has been a bit heated to say the least.
jamy ian swiss hinted at it in his recent interview.

i would like to hear, for example, a dissection of their thinking on evo-pschology, especially rebeccas.

surely they can disagree (if they do) without any drama. thats the idea isnt it?

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #13
LandR
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I hit that point over a year ago.
Me too.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 05:01 AM   #14
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post

In a talk she did a few days ago, Rebecca Watson has painted evolutionary psychology as, let's say, inaccurate to be generous. She did this by misrepresenting it.

I think that if the SGU were to address that for about 2 to 5 minutes, then at least they wouldn't lose face in many people's eyes.

They address other people's errors on the show, so why not their own?
PZ Myers doesn't like evolutionary psychology ergo Rebecca Watson doesn't like evolutionary psychology.
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2012, 05:06 AM   #15
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

Oh look, PZ circles the wagons.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...o-psych-again/

Nothing seems to awaken his ire quite like one of his chums being criticised.
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
s_pepys
Muse

Originally Posted by squealpiggy View Post

ive put this on the other thread. pz doesnt really address whats wrong with evo
psyc but attacks this other guys motives pretty harshly imo.

lxxx
Old 6th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

ive put this on the other thread. pz doesnt really address whats wrong with evo
psyc but attacks this other guys motives pretty harshly imo.

lxxx
I used to read PZ occasionally but sort of tailed off over time. So, I clicked the link above to see what all the kerfuffle was about . . .

My god it is like some sort of old time religion over there. Everyone who even dares to question the grand wizard is banned. Wow.

Critical thinking has left the building!
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #18
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I think that everybody has something they aren't rational about.

That doesn't make you a non-Skeptic on other matters.

That said, I have gotten increasingly tired of hearing her on the podcast to the point where I have missed most of the last few months.

It's not her Skeptical credentials I am complaining of, it is that she isn't very interesting.
Old 6th December 2012, 03:55 PM   #19
ShadowSot
Muse

hi all. i have been a keen listener for a few years but recently am saddened by their reluctance to even mention the current questions about the skeptism of one of their presenters.

i know they are all friends but surely a skeptical podcast should have critical thinking at its core and no-one should be above questioning.

lxxx
Have you considered posting this on the SGU Forums instead?
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I think that everybody has something they aren't rational about.

That doesn't make you a non-Skeptic on other matters.

That said, I have gotten increasingly tired of hearing her on the podcast to the point where I have missed most of the last few months.

It's not her Skeptical credentials I am complaining of, it is that she isn't very interesting.
Then you (and I) can be glad that she isn't as vocal (as in "you don't hear her as much") lately. The others more than make up for it though, so at least it's still interesting.

Last edited by Bram Kaandorp; 6th December 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 09:18 AM   #21
nudger1964
Scholar

PZ Myers doesn't like evolutionary psychology ergo Rebecca Watson doesn't like evolutionary psychology.
my impression is its more likely to be the other way around
nudger1964 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 10:09 AM   #22
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by nudger1964 View Post
my impression is its more likely to be the other way around
That is the impressionIget as well. My overall impression is that her objections to EP come from the same place as do the arguments that Truthers make vis-a-vis the physics of the 9/11 building collapses... modify the facts to conform to the argument.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2012, 04:47 PM   #23
s_pepys
Muse

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
Have you considered posting this on the SGU Forums instead?
no. not really. i havnt ever posted on there, i think.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:46 PM   #24
ShadowSot
Muse

no. not really. i havnt ever posted on there, i think.
Might be a better place for it, since it's somewhere it might actually be addressed. You could even email the hosts themselves.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 11:53 PM   #25
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Wow. The groupthink personality cult is strong in that entry.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2012, 06:58 AM   #26
Praktik
Illuminator

Well clearly, no true skeptic would hold such views on evo psych...

“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 09:45 AM   #27
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
I like how the criticisms aren't, too.
Old 25th February 2013, 04:47 AM   #28
Graham2001
Muse

Indeed, read these Ad Hom attacks by P Z Meyers...

Quote 1

Quote:
I am so over Ben Radford. I thought he was obtuse before. Now I’m convinced that he’s simply an idiot.
&

Quote 2

Quote:
Yeah, right. F*** the principle of charity. No charity for you, Radford.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngu...ical-movement/

Does anyone know how to contact him, I wanted to comment to the post directly, but I suspect he would like Truthers, Birthers & Hookers (aka Sandy Hook Truthers) simply delete the comment or refuse to allow it to appear.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...

Last edited by Graham2001; 25th February 2013 at 04:52 AM.
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 05:06 AM   #29
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I used to read PZ occasionally but sort of tailed off over time. So, I clicked the link above to see what all the kerfuffle was about . . .

My god it is like some sort of old time religion over there. Everyone who even dares to question the grand wizard is banned. Wow.

Critical thinking has left the building!
Agree. Thought he wrote some good articles on evolution but things have really gone off the rails.
Old 25th February 2013, 06:20 AM   #30
LandR
Graduate Poster

The whole idea of getting upset over someone wearing a certain t-shirt, especially one so innocuous as the one in that link, seems mental to me. To get upset to the point of tears...

Absolutely mental.

Do some people just go through life looking for things to be offended about ?

It must be exhausting.

Last edited by LandR; 25th February 2013 at 06:21 AM.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 06:28 AM   #31
SonOfLaertes
Muse

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Agree. Thought he wrote some good articles on evolution but things have really gone off the rails.
Ditto. His blog was interesting for a while but I now find it tedious.
Best concise summary of Intelligent Design's never-changing key argument: “ the improbability of assembly of functional sequence all at once from scratch by brute chance” (Nick Matske, Panda's Thumb).
SonOfLaertes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 03:54 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Fact is a number of skeptics who earn a degree of fame let it go to their heads. And they are egged on by some of their fans, who consider them a infallible source of wisdom.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2013, 04:50 PM   #33
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post

Quote 1

&

Quote 2

Does anyone know how to contact him, I wanted to comment to the post directly, but I suspect he would like Truthers, Birthers & Hookers (aka Sandy Hook Truthers) simply delete the comment or refuse to allow it to appear.
Did you check? PZ's comments are fairly notoriously free for all. I suspect you'd face a ton of disagreement, but I find it very unlikely you'd be deleted.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:12 PM   #34
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

PZ: Andy Warhol called. Your 15 minutes are up.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 05:08 AM   #35
Graham2001
Muse

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
Did you check? PZ's comments are fairly notoriously free for all. I suspect you'd face a ton of disagreement, but I find it very unlikely you'd be deleted.
I'd rather send him a direct email... It will advise him to "Grow Up", I had intended to send him something a little less blunt, but after the "F*** the principle of charity" comment I find it hard to consider him to be acting as a mature adult in this matter.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2013, 03:22 PM   #36
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

I'd rather send him a direct email... It will advise him to "Grow Up", I had intended to send him something a little less blunt, but after the "F*** the principle of charity" comment I find it hard to consider him to be acting as a mature adult in this matter.
Then why the claim that you'd be deleted? I don't like persecution complexes. I'm pretty sure his email address is somewhere on the site, but I don't know what it is top of head.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:03 PM   #37
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Isn't he a member here? If so, just ask him.
Old 28th February 2013, 08:15 AM   #38
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by IMST View Post
Then why the claim that you'd be deleted? I don't like persecution complexes. I'm pretty sure his email address is somewhere on the site, but I don't know what it is top of head.
Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Isn't he a member here? If so, just ask him.
If this is him, he's a member since 2003.

http://forums.randi.org/member.php?u=1265

I wouldn't read anything, telling as it may seem, into the below from his profile. "Friends" weren't available until one of the forum software updates after my arrival several years later.

Quote:
Friends
pzmyers has not made any friends yet
Befriend pzmyers

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 06:33 AM   #39
Praktik
Illuminator

Hey we can't all be Vulcans... and besides, Star Trek is replete with examples of where humanity's weakness for emotive reasoning saved the whole ship... so....
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:15 PM   #40
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

Quote 1

&

Quote 2

Posting on his blog once is unlikely to get you banned (though posting arguments contrary to his position more than once will get you banned for "trolling") but you will be dogpiled by a collection of extraordinarily boring people.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe