JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags Gun Sales , mass shootings

Old 20th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Profanz
Muse

And gun sales are up.

I would say mostly with enthusiasts who are concerned certain guns won't be available much longer. But maybe also with ordinary citizens trying to protect themselves.

In any case, these shootings seem to be bringing more guns into society.
Profanz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Monketey Ghost
Body of Work

All I need is my breath.

SSKCAS, member in long standing

If you accidentally ingest Monketey Ghost, induce vomiting and call your physician immediately.
Monketey Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:23 PM   #3
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by Monketey Ghost View Post
All I need is my breath.
well, don't hold it.
Old 20th December 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Profanz View Post
I would say mostly with enthusiasts who are concerned certain guns won't be available much longer. But maybe also with ordinary citizens trying to protect themselves.

No, right wing paranoia and false beliefs about liberal governments and Rambo movie myths are bringing more guns into society.
Old 20th December 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
StankApe
Banned

are they up from last christmas time? or just up for the year? that could be a big part of it.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No, right wing paranoia and false beliefs about liberal governments and Rambo movie myths are bringing more guns into society.
And fairies. Don't forget fairies.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:06 PM   #7
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
are they up from last christmas time? or just up for the year? that could be a big part of it.

This article says in Illinois there were over 12,500 background checks processed between last Friday and this week Tuesday. That compared to about 6,800 during the same time period a year ago. So thanks to the calls for more restrictions, almost 6,000 more guns will get into circulation than we might normally expect... in Illinois alone. And we have a little more jumping through hoops here than they do most other states.

Other articles indicate high capacity magazines are selling out as fast as gun stores can put them on the shelves, and in some places there are lines outside gun stores when they open. Heck of a way to reduce the quantity of guns and high-cap magazines.

That reminds me, I'll be getting out this weekend for a couple more 15 round mags for my P95.

Last edited by GeeMack; 20th December 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Globert
Thinker

Location: Inside the Oort cloud, one A.U. from this medium star.
Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
This article says in Illinois there were over 12,500 background checks processed between last Friday and this week Tuesday. That compared to about 6,800 during the same time period a year ago. So thanks to the calls for more restrictions, almost 6,000 more guns will get into circulation than we might normally expect... in Illinois alone. And we have a little more jumping through hoops here than they do most other states.

Other articles indicate high capacity magazines are selling out as fast as gun stores can put them on the shelves, and in some places there are lines outside gun stores when they open. Heck of a way to reduce the quantity of guns and high-cap magazines.

That reminds me, I'll be getting out this weekend for a couple more 15 round mags for my P95.
I'd opine the last sentence in your link as well, the court ruling opens the door to freedom in Illinois. That combined with the reactionary gun ban talk, it may be a good Christmas for some honest citizens.
Old 20th December 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, because the last thing people should do is talk about gun control when something like this happens...
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:43 PM   #10
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Monketey Ghost View Post
All I need is my breath.
Especially after what you did with your thumb in that other thread.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:51 PM   #11
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I am not paranoid, not right wing (and have been raving liberal most of my life), do not have a problem with liberal governments on most things, believe Rambo stuff about as far as I can throw the Russian copter he would have destroyed (the one he was in) with the little trick he did. And I have a good first aid kit and food/water supplies pretty much all the time. Careful is not paranoid. There is a distinction.

Just in case, I voted for Obama/Biden (again) and would have voted for Hilary either of those times. And helped Alan get a trip home here in FL.

Wash this space!

fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
And fairies. Don't forget fairies.
I like fairies - especially the well sculpted female ones - ceramic of course.

Wash this space!

Old 20th December 2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

What a shock! A perceived oncoming artificial (as in intentionally removing from the shelves items that would not otherwise be scarce) shortage of something makes people want to get that something before it's gone. Color me surprised...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:04 PM   #14
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post

I hope to be picking up (if the price has not gone up over2K yet) a SIG 551A1 with 8-10 (it only comes with 2) 20 and 30 round magazines - I particularly like how they button together so you can do the RVN flip without having to tape them together. Ain't tech grand.
Either way, Definitely a Kel-Tec KSG 12 gauge 2 tubes/7shells each (no magazines). Never had a shotgun before.

Wash this space!

Old 20th December 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Profanz View Post

You should have seen the run-up to the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Or the run up to the 19 May '86 cut-off for the registration of transferable machine guns - some shops had to hire office workers for 24/7 work processing applications.

Or California before the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapon Control Act in '89.

Or the Bush import ban in '89.

Or the AWB provisions of the '94 crime bill.

Or the second California AW ban in '99.

Or the great O'panic of '08.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:14 PM   #16
BStrong
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I hope to be picking up (if the price has not gone up over2K yet) a SIG 551A1 with 8-10 (it only comes with 2) 20 and 30 round magazines - I particularly like how they button together so you can do the RVN flip without having to tape them together. Ain't tech grand.
Either way, Definitely a Kel-Tec KSG 12 gauge 2 tubes/7shells each (no magazines). Never had a shotgun before.
Nice toy, I've tested the hell out of one, and although it stands up, I'll stick to convntional designs - pretty much the same with their 7.62 rifle.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

believe Rambo stuff about as far as I can throw the Russian copter he would have destroyed (the one he was in) with the little trick he did.
Oh god, I love that bit so much. Even more than the launcher switching between being a LAWS and an RPG-7. Got a friend who used to practice archery who LOVES how authentically Stallone handles his bow in the film.

What was this thread about?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 05:47 PM   #18
triforcharity
Banned

Don't buy the Kel Tec KSG. It's garbage. I've shot it plenty, and would never buy it had I known all the issues it's had.

And Kel Tec knows about the issues, but yet refuses to re-engineer it.

Good concept, poor design.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2012, 07:06 PM   #19
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Thanks both trifor and BStrong for the info - I had wanted to get some user input!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th December 2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Ranb
Philosopher

Anytime there is a threat of a AWB that ban's popular guns but allows owners to keep the ones they have prior to the ban, people rush to buy them. This is not hard to understand.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

On the Reddit "guns" section, we have a fellow who works for a large firearms retailer. He said that the weekend was pretty quiet, but starting Monday things went ballistic. Rifles, magazines, ammunition...
Could not keep them in stock, and a very difficult time replacing stock. That's just anecdotal from one store, but we could likely extrapolate across the country.

I related that my ex brother-in-law, just prior to the enactment of the last "assault weapons ban", went out and bought three AK-47s.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events