JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags introduce , members , newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 8th December 2012, 07:47 PM   #1441
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
The SGU whatnow?

Also, hello JREF forum. I am a new member. I like lurking. And cats. And beer. Everything else is up for debate.
Meow
Old 8th December 2012, 08:54 PM   #1442
Snarf
Critical Thinker

Hi everyone, Snarf here.
I've been creeping the forums for a while now and thought I'd sign up!
Snarf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 10:06 PM   #1443
jaredmanning
New Blood

Hello!
jaredmanning is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 09:59 AM   #1444
Bell
beautiful freak

Welcome! I know someone named Snarf in real life.

Happy birthday Jaredmanning!

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 09:59 AM   #1445
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Where are my manners, so many new faces and I haven't offered anybody a refreshment yet.

mightyhorse,
Good to see you. And I don't think this should be in Members Only. Then nobody would see how nice we are before they join!
A welcoming thread should be right at the door, shouldn't it? Make yourself comfortable and enjoy the forums.

Halleyscomet,
Welcome, welcome, it is a rare treat to see you. Please leave your tail at the door, we would not want the star dust on all seats now, do we. Enjoy.

Pandamonium,

So new and a nomination already! I nommed you for your evolution remark in Plans of God, I could not resist. Looks like you will fit right in. Welcome.

AnKaren and Snarf,

Welcome to the forum, it is an addictive read. Just like you, I lurked for ages before I joined. Good that you finally signed up. I hope you'll enjoy it just as much as I do.

Jaredmanning,

Welcome to the forum, and happy birthday to you too.

Femke
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.

Last edited by Femke; 9th December 2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fix smilies
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2012, 06:19 PM   #1446
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hi halleyscomet and pandamonium. Welcome to my home.
Old 11th December 2012, 01:14 AM   #1447
341gerbig
New Blood

Hello, I'm gerbig.

I live in Saskatoon SK, I am currently in school studying biology.
I run a freethought group at the university.

I came here because there was discussion about this place on the SGU forums page.
341gerbig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 02:26 AM   #1448
pandamonium
Student

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hi halleyscomet and pandamonium. Welcome to my home.
I'll try not to track mud on the carpets. Unless you want some mud, in which case I am probably the person to talk to.

Originally Posted by Femke
Pandamonium,

So new and a nomination already! I nommed you for your evolution remark in Plans of God, I could not resist. Looks like you will fit right in. Welcome
Aw, shucks. Thanks. ^__^
pandamonium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 04:05 AM   #1449
Femke

Aw, shucks. Thanks. ^__^
You're welcome.
Fellow biologist, I presume, judging by your further posts?
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 11:33 AM   #1450
halleyscomet
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You'll find me in the pedantry, scum and villainy sections.

Welcome new guys.
Excellent!

Is there a thread for homebrewers? I'm rather fond of making my own beer, wine, mead and other assorted fermentables.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 11:53 AM   #1451
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Excellent!

Is there a thread for homebrewers? I'm rather fond of making my own beer, wine, mead and other assorted fermentables.

If you can't find one, feel free to start one. I'm sure there will be others who are interested in homebrewing.

A warm welcome to all newbies.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:07 PM   #1452
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Excellent!

Yep, head over to Community if you haven't already, and brew away!
Old 11th December 2012, 06:09 PM   #1453
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by 341gerbig View Post
Hello, I'm gerbig.

I live in Saskatoon SK, I am currently in school studying biology.
I run a freethought group at the university.

I came here because there was discussion about this place on the SGU forums page.
Welcome, gerbig. Good to see you here.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:52 PM   #1454
HatefulBanker
New Blood

I'm also an SGUF regular, and a snopes.com regular before that. You may know me by my alter ego, JohnnySlick. However, I chose this nickname because it is very close - one could say a single letter off - from what I truly am.

Also, I have heard that the signal-to-noise ratio here is very low, despite having crappy moderation. Sadly, I don't expect I will be here long before BANED.
HatefulBanker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 07:01 PM   #1455
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HatefulBanker View Post
I'm also an SGUF regular, and a snopes.com regular before that. You may know me by my alter ego, JohnnySlick. However, I chose this nickname because it is very close - one could say a single letter off - from what I truly am.

Also, I have heard that the signal-to-noise ratio here is very low, despite having crappy moderation. Sadly, I don't expect I will be here long before BANED.

With an attitude like that, you probably will be "baned" pretty soon.

Welcome, anyway.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:05 PM   #1456
pandamonium
Student

Originally Posted by Femke View Post
You're welcome.
Fellow biologist, I presume, judging by your further posts?
Art student, actually. I've just read a lot of Dawkins.
pandamonium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 07:08 PM   #1457
pandamonium
Student

On the internet, no one knows you're a tanker.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:10 PM   #1458
HatefulBanker
New Blood

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
With an attitude like that, you probably will be "baned" pretty soon.

Welcome, anyway.
It's not my fault the moderation's bad here. It is one reason why I've lurked in the past but never decided to join. Anyway, I'll just do what it is that I do, which will probably make someone say "OKAY THAT IS ENOUGH YOU CAN NO LONGER CALL SOMEONE A BOWL OF NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER" and the banhammer will be let loose.

I just call them like I see them. Also, homeopathy is really water.
HatefulBanker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 07:11 PM   #1459
HatefulBanker
New Blood

On the internet, no one knows you're a tanker.
I should have KNOWN your kind was going to come around here, Liberalus Maximux.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:16 PM   #1460
pandamonium
Student

I should have KNOWN your kind was going to come around here, Liberalus Maximux.
The difference is that here I don't have to put up with your lies and slander, libtard.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:49 PM   #1461
HatefulBanker
New Blood

The difference is that here I don't have to put up with your lies and slander, libtard.
Oh, so now I'm a libtard!? Well, let me tell you something, Miss Thing. I am like rubber and you are like glue. This is called science.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #1462
AdMan
Philosopher

I think all these new SGUF folks are making the forum run really slow. I propose we ban them.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:56 PM   #1463
pandamonium
Student

Oh, so now I'm a libtard!? Well, let me tell you something, Miss Thing. I am like rubber and you are like glue. This is called science.
Curses, foiled again!

I think all these new SGUF folks are making the forum run really slow. I propose we ban them.
That's probably for the best.

Last edited by pandamonium; 11th December 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11th December 2012, 09:42 PM   #1464
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've unleashed a monster!
Old 12th December 2012, 02:12 AM   #1465
asydhouse
Graduate Poster

Shouldn't we bane them instead?
asydhouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 06:12 AM   #1466
Femke

Art student, actually. I've just read a lot of Dawkins.
Impressive. Most of the time us biologists have trouble explaining evilution to the religulous, and usually we need far more words for it.
Mind if I use your explanation in my sig?

Last edited by Femke; 12th December 2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: tyop
Old 12th December 2012, 05:18 PM   #1467
briwd2012
New Blood

Hello everyone,

I joined the forum after it was recommended by a skeptic blogger as a good place for newbies to go to.

I used to be a full-on Christian believer. In the last six months I have, quietly, walked away from faith. I am at the place in my life where not only does atheism makes more sense than theism, but I have more peace mentally and emotionally than I did when trying to jump through all the mental and theological hoops that Christianity presented to me.

I also suppose I am a skeptic, although it's not an identity that I actively take on. It's more passive, in that I don't accept at face value such things as 'woo', ghosts, nor fantastic claims involving medicine ('take THIS juice made with THIS plant and you'll feel 20 years younger!!!') or money ('if you invest in THIS opportunity, you'll quadruple your income in just 30 days!!!').

At this point in my life, I'm looking to connect with other like-minded people in ways that won't cause conflicts with believing family, friends and coworkers. I'm optimistic that the JREF forum will be a great place for me to do just that.
briwd2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2012, 05:38 PM   #1468
AdMan
Philosopher

Welcome, briwd2012! I am confident that you will find this a friendly and engaging place full of fellow baby eaters (though we've got our share of believers too).

Be sure to visit the Religion and Philosophy subforum. Lots of interesting discussions going on there.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:12 PM   #1469
briwd2012
New Blood

Welcome, briwd2012! I am confident that you will find this a friendly and engaging place full of fellow baby eaters (though we've got our share of believers too)
Thanks, AdMan. I'll check it - and the other sub forums - out.
briwd2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 11:18 AM   #1470
Trunkman
New Blood

Hi all

Science/comedy film-maker here. Lurked the site for ages, finally joined

Cheers
Trunkman
Trunkman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 05:25 AM   #1471
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by Trunkman View Post
Hi all

Science/comedy film-maker here. Lurked the site for ages, finally joined

Cheers
Trunkman
Hey, Trunkman! Welcome to the forums. I suggest you be on the lookout for one "Conspiraider" - he'll probably try to sell you a script or treatment. Just practice saying, "Well, yeah you really look like Harrison in that get up!", and while he's admiring himself in the mirror, dash off quickly, stage left.

Indie? Wannabe? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 06:15 AM   #1472
The Palmernator
Thinker

Hi all. Newbie here. Been following from a distance for a while now (particularly the threads about Freeman on the Land, which I do not subscribe to, I just think they're quite amusing) and thought I'd sign up and assist in dishing out some right good debunking.

I shared a house with a 911 truther a while back who was an avid student of the university of You-Tube ("it was the bankers! It was all done with thermite! They used HAARP to bring the towers down!") so this site makes such a refreshing change.
The Palmernator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 08:32 PM   #1473
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by The Palmernator View Post
Hi all. Newbie here. Been following from a distance for a while now (particularly the threads about Freeman on the Land, which I do not subscribe to, I just think they're quite amusing) and thought I'd sign up and assist in dishing out some right good debunking.

I shared a house with a 911 truther a while back who was an avid student of the university of You-Tube ("it was the bankers! It was all done with thermite! They used HAARP to bring the towers down!") so this site makes such a refreshing change.
Wait! What??!! You're saying the bankers didn't do it??!! Why am I the last to hear these things? Someone get a memo out to Hello NWO Kitty, immediately.

Yeah, I was drawn here back in the day by the 911 CTs, myself. I'd been reading SWIFT and perusing the forums for years. I started in chatting away with people I felt I'd known for quite some time, although to them I was just another squirrel for the stew, so to speak. I stayed around because of the "local" aspect of the place. "Local" as in your local pub. You can drop in and chat about the latest news, or get on your high horse to promote a cause you're greatly concerned about (Underpants for Cows!), or keep up with what Crazy Bob is on about this week, or brag on your kids, or just commiserate with buddies if things ain't going to well. It's my hangout and the big bonus is that I don't have a hangover in the morning, although I must admit that I do have some of those morning-after moments when I say to the mirror, "Did you just tell X to go suck an egg?"

Check out the grounds. We have shuffleboard on the Lido Deck at 2, but don't bet on any games. A couple of our more senior citizens take the game far too seriously and are known to cheat if there's money on the table.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 09:56 AM   #1474
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
I'm Halleyscomet. I came here because the SGU Forums mention this place now and then, and it struck me as the right combination of intelligence, research, pedantry, scum and villainy to keep my interest.
Hear, hear!
Slowvehicle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2012, 03:41 PM   #1475
OtakuNutchi
Student

Hi there... Apparently i joined this forum about a month ago, and have been kind of inactive since, in part because of time spent on other internet fora (unfaithfulness... how sinful!). Anyways, this is my first -highly casual- introduction.
OtakuNutchi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:43 PM   #1476
Femke

OtakuNutchi,

It's okay, most of us will occasionally step away from the forum and look around elsewhere. We won't hold it against you, we just know you'll be back

But since you are here, just peruse the subforums at your leisure, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Femke

Old 22nd December 2012, 01:19 PM   #1477
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Welcome to all you newb's out there

To the believers I say MERRY CHRISTMAS !

To the Non Believers I say do not complain if you are asked to work on the hollidays. After all you do not believe so why should you reap the benefits of the holidays?

To you guys that are undecided make your minds up soon as the hollidays are almost here
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" - R. J. Wiedermann LtCol. USMC Ret.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 06:05 AM   #1478
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
Welcome to all you newb's out there

To the believers I say MERRY CHRISTMAS !

To the Non Believers I say do not complain if you are asked to work on the hollidays. After all you do not believe so why should you reap the benefits of the holidays?

To you guys that are undecided make your minds up soon as the hollidays are almost here

I Believe in the holiday. I'm a strong Believer in holidays. The more the better, I say.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 05:58 PM   #1479
DevilMayhem666
New Blood

Hello everybody! Made this account a few weeks ago but just started posting today.

Last edited by DevilMayhem666; 30th December 2012 at 06:12 PM.
DevilMayhem666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 03:18 AM   #1480
Femke

Welcome DevilMayhem666,

What took you so long? Make yourself at home and enjoy the end of times the year and a fresh start to the new one.
Femke

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » Welcome!