JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 30th December 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Ian
Thinker

Rita Levi-Montalcini

Rita Levi-Montalcini lived to be 103.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...evi-montalcini
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

There's something fishy there. The guy that wrote the article died 14 years before she did. I believe he may have been psychic.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Vermonter
Muse

It's not uncommon for obituaries to be written far in advance of the subject's death, especially if the subject has been retired for some time.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
It's not uncommon for obituaries to be written far in advance of the subject's death, especially if the subject has been retired for some time.
Seems shady. How do you know the person is going to die?

Also, I wonder if this piece was a "pay on publication" deal. They'd owe his estate for the article.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 08:42 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post

Also, I wonder if this piece was a "pay on publication" deal. They'd owe his estate for the article.
Wild guess?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 08:48 PM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Wild guess?
Do you suppose there's a data base of obits just waiting around? Could we rummage through it and tweak our own?

It would be cool to do something grand just before you kicked so they'd have to rewrite the obit. Like, say, you hide a bit of important research and just release it a few days before you croak. Or maybe those top secret papers in the safe or something.

It is kinda neat that they did her obit more than a decade before. She would have been just getting to 90. They probably thought, "This old gal can't make it much longer." And then she just kept on going. Pretty sweet.

Last edited by marplots; 30th December 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Do you suppose there's a data base of obits just waiting around? Could we rummage through it and tweak our own?

It would be cool to do something grand just before you kicked so they'd have to rewrite the obit. Like, say, you hide a bit of important research and just release it a few days before you croak. Or maybe those top secret papers in the safe or something.

It is kinda neat that they did her obit more than a decade before. She would have been just getting to 90. They probably thought, "This old gal can't make it much longer." And then she just kept on going. Pretty sweet.
I think most newspapers and probably news services have or can access a database of obits of famous people, whether or not they're getting very old. It is, after all, a certainty that they will all die eventually, and it behooves any paper to provide a well researched obit very quickly when it's needed. Of course a certain caution is required so that the obit doesn't come out prematurely. It happens from time to time, but usually it's invisible and we don't stop to think how some reporter managed to sum up a famous person's whole life in the few hours between death and publication.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Gagglegnash
Graduate Poster

Remember the, "Mary Tyler Moore Show," where Mary was tasked with updating pre-written obituaries?
-----Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
Gagglegnash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 11:28 PM   #9
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Do you know someone who isn't?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #10
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Trying to get me to prove a negative?
Old 31st December 2012, 01:43 AM   #11
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

Well, everyone I know hasn't died.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Ian
Thinker

Here's a clue in the obit of Joseph Rotblat:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ies.obituaries

Quote:
Anthony Tucker died in 1998. His contribution has been revised and updated.
Ian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 07:57 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Trying to get me to prove a negative?
No, but it's the way to bet. And, worst case, if the person doesn't die, then they just don't use the obituary.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Pup
Illuminator

Apparently, Anthony Tucker was an enthusiastic obituary writer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/anthony-tucker

What an odd career as a writer: "Yes! A scientist died today. I'm going to get another publishing credit!"

Though it looks like most of the obituaries were either published after his death or, more likely, the earlier ones haven't made it online.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
AvalonXQ

On-topic for pre-written obits: Google "Gerald Ford SNL."
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2012, 08:51 AM   #16
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

No, but it's the way to bet. And, worst case, if the person doesn't die, then they just don't use the obituary.
That gave me an idea. I'm writing my obit with a bunch of glorious accomplishments I haven't done yet. Should give me lots of motivation. Now, how do I go about negotiating peace in the Middle East?
Old 31st December 2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Ian
Thinker

Also, this is something to avoid:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/germa...-bush-obituary
Old 31st December 2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Aepervius
Philosopher

A friend working at a journal told me they jsut have that : a database of obit of well known people, with general facts, and some throw away condoleance sentence, so that they are never really caught unaware. ETA: also for old people generally the last decade is rather uneventful for an obit.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology