IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:37 AM   #1
headscratcher4
Philosopher

Ask A Wizard... 9 rules of wizardry...

For your information:

http://whofortedblog.com/2013/01/02/...itual-warfare/

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
gambling_cruiser
Muse

This guy who tells us we know nothing has written his BS on a magical device I guess, can't use a computer, nah.
gambling_cruiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:20 AM   #3
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

According to John Constantine there's one true secret of magic......
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Joe Random
Illuminator

1st rule of Wizardry : ALWAYS carry a few latumofis potions with you if you're going down below level 4.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
1st rule of Wizardry : ALWAYS carry a few latumofis potions with you if you're going down below level 4.
I thought it was "never talk about wizardry".

Even if it's not the FIRST rule, it's not a bad idea if you don't want people thinking you're a kook.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by headscratcher4 View Post
He hooked up the BS machine to the bafflegab generator and produced a bunch of psuedo profundity.

Reality is too restricted for some.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Thinker

Quote:
The eighth doctrine is that the distance between wizard and philosopher is undetectable, save that the philosopher lacks the courage to identify herself or himself as an occult magic user.
I don't remember discussing magic in my Logic course at all. I'm taking Ethics next semester, so maybe that's when that will happen. Or maybe magic is a higher level of philosophy.

Can any philosophers here tell us when we get to do magic?

Last edited by 100; 3rd January 2013 at 04:45 PM.
100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Night Walker
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by 100 View Post
I don't remember discussing magic in my Logic course at all. I'm taking Ethics next semester, so maybe that's when that will happen. Or maybe magic is a higher level of philosophy.

I’m no philosopher but I’ll give it a go:

Words and language have POWER. A subtle change in emphasis or the wording of a sentence can dramatically alter its meaning and impact. More than simply referring to things, through the use of words we are not only able capture, construct, and reconstruct events but to spread such events across great distances and well beyond the here and now. Words conjure images and can affect the manner in which we understand and engage with the world around us.

To be able to affect one’s own world or that of another through the use of words alone is magical, I guess, but it is something other than “courage” which separates the wizard from the philosopher…
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Strawberry
Master Poster

I think somebody's been reading too many Harry Potter books.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I think making p-zombies is a type of magic.

Teh quality of qualia cannot be strained but falls on philosophers as a gentle rain.

Last edited by tsig; 3rd January 2013 at 05:59 PM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Turgor
Critical Thinker

Sufficiently lengthy gibberish is indistinguishable from magic*
*may not apply if critical thinking is applied
Turgor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post

Words and language have POWER. A subtle change in emphasis or the wording of a sentence can dramatically alter its meaning and impact. More than simply referring to things, through the use of words we are not only able capture, construct, and reconstruct events but to spread such events across great distances and well beyond the here and now. Words conjure images and can affect the manner in which we understand and engage with the world around us.

To be able to affect one’s own world or that of another through the use of words alone is magical, I guess, but it is something other than “courage” which separates the wizard from the philosopher…
Actually.... I believe there's a lot of truth in that.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Kevin_Lowe

At your Ph.D. confirmation you have to levitate a copy of Parfit's Reasons and Persons. (It used to be Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics before the spiritual warfare and subsequent spiritual genocide of the mid-eighties left most of the senior Philosophy faculty without spirits, although they were of course seemingly completely unharmed to the eyes of knowlessmen).

Normally I wouldn't reveal this, of course, but I've built up a high wall of spiritual sandbags around my spiritual bunker, and thanks to cost-cutting in the tertiary sector in recent years I'm reasonably sure the local universities can't afford enough spiritual napalm to get me.

In any case, if you people reading this post tried to explain the truth about spiritual warfare and The Others to the general public you'd just get laughed at for being a loony or locked up and medicated for being schizophrenic. We philosophers really do have all the bases covered.

Last edited by Kevin_Lowe; 3rd January 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Astreja
Springy Goddess

Magic is easy.

All you have to do is control the effects by controlling the causes.
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:02 PM   #15
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post

Yes but thats PR.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Thinker

In hindsight, this post was really stupid. I apologize.
100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:05 AM   #17
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I found the claim that the article provided insight into an often misunderstood mindset to be false. The lunacy of the article pretty much matches my understanding of the mindset of people who believe in magic.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:11 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
I thought it was "never talk about wizardry".

Even if it's not the FIRST rule, it's not a bad idea if you don't want people thinking you're a kook.
After reading the article I'd say that rule one is 'Don't flush unless you know it's the cops' and rule two is 'Those cookies aren't for visitors'.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Limbo
Jedi Consular

Originally Posted by Astreja View Post
Magic is easy.

All you have to do is control the effects by controlling the causes.

That would be quite a trick, given retrocausation.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Spockette
Scholar

Oh, cripey.

1. Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
2. Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic to those who don't understand it.

What else do you need?
Spockette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Night Walker
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Yes but thats PR.
Isn't PR a form of managerial wizardry?
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 04:36 PM   #22
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spockette View Post
Oh, cripey.

1. Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
2. Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic to those who don't understand it.

What else do you need?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:21 AM   #23
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

Pfah. Real Wizards are appointed by the government, are acknowledged as living works of art, dematerialise on census days, perform successful rain dances, descend from the mountains bearing tablets inscribed with their web address, rescue dogs, cast spells that ensure victory in the rugby, discomfit Ray Comfort and earn the Queen's Service Medal.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:31 AM   #24
yog_sothoth
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Spockette View Post
Oh, cripey.

What else do you need?
"Do not call up that which you can't put down"

Also, say the following backwards if confronted by a zombie.

Y'AI'NG'NGAH
YOG-SOTHOTH
H'EE-L'GEB
F'AI THRODOG
UAAAH
yog_sothoth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal