JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 7th January 2013, 08:54 PM   #321
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Dude, take a chill pill.

Our country does have rules that limit what assault rifles you can own.
What does that have to do with the fairy tales you are making up? You're just like Tricky; can't admit you are wrong.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 08:57 PM   #322
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Unabogie View Post
Is there something in this world scarier than a hunk of metal that can kill someone you love in half a second? How much worse does a gun have to be before you find it scary? Does it have to also set the house on fire? Does it have to leave a radiation half-life? Or does plain old death and dismemberment count these days in your world?
The "man card" marketing campaign for Bushmaster rifles makes you wonder a bit about the target audience.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 09:03 PM   #323
Ranb
Philosopher

Is there something in this world scarier than a hunk of metal that can kill someone you love in half a second?
Yes there is.

Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, lung disease, stroke, accidents (especially motor vehicle, too many for me already) and alzheimers. The list is long. Guns are tame in comparison as far as I am concerned.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 7th January 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 09:08 PM   #324
Ranb
Philosopher

The "man card" marketing campaign for Bushmaster rifles makes you wonder a bit about the target audience.
Considering the number of women I see shooting them at the local rifle range, it says more about Bushmaster and their stupid ideas about marketing than whatever you think the target audience it.

Ranb
Old 7th January 2013, 09:27 PM   #325
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

Is there something in this world scarier than a hunk of metal that can kill someone you love in half a second?
Maybe.

How about not having a hunk of metal when someone threatens to kill someone you love in half a second. Knowing you have to stand by, powerless, and watch it happen.

I think that's scarier.

Guns are used in defense of self and others every day. Someone trying to kill a loved one of mine has a good chance of ending up dead himself.

Just sayin'!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 10:09 PM   #326
Cylinder
Philosopher

How much worse does a gun have to be before you find it scary?
Like maybe if it started nagging me about leaving dirty underwear next to the shower?
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 11:15 PM   #327
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
In my world, I don't fear inanimate objects. They cannot work on their own.

ETA: The one in my avatar, are you afraid of it?
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...people/1041591

I can't begin to get inside your head on this, but even your silly argument fails when a gun malfunctions, because they are deadly tools made for killing. Guns fire bullets, and when they do, sometimes people are in the way and they die. Even safe guns in the hands of experts like yourself, who will never, ever, EVER accidentally shoot someone or lose your **** and kill someone.
Unabogie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 11:39 PM   #328
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

What's the target audience for pink furniture? http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...grey-and-pink/
shawmutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 11:45 PM   #329
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

I can't begin to get inside your head on this, but even your silly argument fails when a gun malfunctions, because they are deadly tools made for killing. Guns fire bullets, and when they do, sometimes people are in the way and they die. Even safe guns in the hands of experts like yourself, who will never, ever, EVER accidentally shoot someone or lose your **** and kill someone.
Your insistence on the "tools made for killing" is just getting silly--and if you got your way and banned guns because of 600 accidental deaths in a per year in a population of 300,000,000, you and your ilk would be responsible for tens of thousands more deaths. Guns do much more than kill. They protect, they even out the playing field, they deter. Are you trying to make the argument that a battered woman who left her husband has no business getting a gun? The home owner in a crime-ridden area has no business getting a gun? The business owner who was robbed twice in a month has no business getting a gun? Why do you prefer to be a victim and cater to the wants of criminals?

Last edited by shawmutt; 7th January 2013 at 11:47 PM.
shawmutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 03:02 AM   #330
rikzilla
Ninja wave: Atomic fire-breath ninja

As a nation, America has already said that the Newtown kids are acceptable losses so people can continue to cuddle their guns. Far better that we kill hundreds of small children, far better that we arm teachers and have more gun battles in the classroom, than a single person give up a precious, precious gun. You can see the attitude well defended right here...sadly enough on a web forum dedicated to exposing BS.

Its a sick, sick culture.
-z
Old 8th January 2013, 06:08 AM   #331
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

rizkilla,

What country do you live in?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 07:17 AM   #332
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rikzilla View Post
Far better that we kill hundreds of small children, far better that we arm teachers and have more gun battles in the classroom, than a single person give up a precious, precious gun.
A single gun? The politicians dancing in the blood of the victims want much more than a single gun. They want to eliminate millions of guns from the hands of law abiding owners.

Ranb
Old 8th January 2013, 07:26 AM   #333
Ferguson
Muse

As a nation, America has already said that the Newtown kids are acceptable losses so people can continue to cuddle their guns. Far better that we kill hundreds of small children, far better that we arm teachers and have more gun battles in the classroom, than a single person give up a precious, precious gun. You can see the attitude well defended right here...sadly enough on a web forum dedicated to exposing BS.

-z
Wait, who's the single person that has the precious, precious, hundred-child-killing gun? That sounds like an easy decision, I think we should probably take it from him!

Unless... your post is just a vapid emotional appeal...sadly enough on a web forum dedicated to exposing BS.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 08:59 AM   #334
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
Wait, who's the single person that has the precious, precious, hundred-child-killing gun? That sounds like an easy decision, I think we should probably take it from him!
All of you do. I still haven't said we should ban guns, but the ridiculousness of the gun nuts is amazing.

"Guns aren't for killing".
"There's zero reason to fear guns".

People are attempting to characterize a device that is very good at killing people and breaking things, and not much else, as benign. It's not. You can try and make the case that guns are a necessary evil. I may come to agree with you. But it's this crazy assertion that guns are neutral which drives me up the wall.

That's simple rationalization and has no bearing on reality, where guns are guns, and not teddy bears.

For people who "don't fear inanimate objects", if you saw your 5 year old come padding down the stairs carrying his teddy bear, would you feel differently than if he was carrying your Bushmaster? If so, why?
Unabogie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 09:10 AM   #335
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

-z
Yes, I'm pro-child killing.

You have some pretty sick thoughts bub.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:46 AM   #336
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

"Guns aren't for killing".
"There's zero reason to fear guns".
Old 8th January 2013, 10:15 AM   #337
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

-z
All of the children killed by alcohol every year in drunk driving accidents, fetal alcohol syndrome, child abuse and violence brought on by alcohol induced rages, etc. And for what? All so that people can have a little enjoyment? The lives of these children are acceptable losses so people can get drunk? It's a sick, sick culture.
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 10:24 AM   #338
Polaris
Philosopher

-z
Has anybody actually claimed there should be no further regulations?

20 =/= hundreds.

1 shooting is singular. Battles = plural. And anyway, arming teachers is stupid.

Please explain to me how hysterics on a skeptical web forum help anything in the slightest? If I were anti-gun, I'd be embarrassed to think that your post was arguing in favor of my point.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 11:56 AM   #339
Nessie
Philosopher

In the UK the attitude when banning guns after the Hungerford and Dumblane massacres was ban the ones which are rapid fire with the fastest reloads. That would leave plenty of guns for vermin, hunting, and targets appropriate to that role. After the Cumbria massacre there was no call to ban shotguns or .22 rifles or else you would severely restrict the actual uses of guns. There is only so far you can go.

This survey of US massacres finds that out of 70 shootings

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

semi auto handguns were used in 68, assault weapons 35 times, revolvers 20 and shotguns 19.

If anything the restrictions should be on rapid fire and fast reloading. You do not need that for hunting or targets.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:14 PM   #340
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
If anything the restrictions should be on rapid fire and fast reloading. You do not need that for hunting or targets.
Wrong.
http://www.olympic.org/shooting-25m-...l-60-shots-men
http://ipsc.org/
http://www.uspsa.org/

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 8th January 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:34 PM   #341
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I see a desire for such events, I don't see a need. But it is unrealistic of me to suggest modifying the sport based on the actual weapon. The rapid fire weapons have created a desire for rapid fire target disciplines.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:40 PM   #342
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I see a desire for such events, I don't see a need. But it is unrealistic of me to suggest modifying the sport based on the actual weapon. The rapid fire weapons have created a desire for rapid fire target disciplines.
Um...what "need" is there for any sport?
Old 8th January 2013, 12:45 PM   #343
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post
Um...what "need" is there for any sport?
Activity, fitness and exercise. Camaraderie, sociability and team work. Discipline leadership and time keeping.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:50 PM   #344
Ranb
Philosopher

You claimed that rapid fire firearms are not needed; but they obviously are if one is to participate in the events I linked to. The event is desired, the guns fill the requirement for the sport.

Ranb
Old 8th January 2013, 12:58 PM   #345
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Is there something in this world scarier than a hunk of metal that can kill someone you love in half a second? ?
Yeah, people who would take away individual liberties in pursuit of some nebulous social goal.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 01:11 PM   #346
Nessie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
You claimed that rapid fire firearms are not needed; but they obviously are if one is to participate in the events I linked to.
I said "If anything the restrictions should be on rapid fire and fast reloading. You do not need that for hunting or targets." Please don't quote me out of context by just saying "rapid fire firearms are not needed". The USA will not ground to a halt if there were limits put on rapid fire guns in terms of magazines and rate of fire. But it should help reduce the casualties from mass shootings.

Quote:
The event is desired, the guns fill the requirement for the sport.

Ranb
I say that the discipline of rapid fire target shooting came from rapid fire guns becoming available. I do not think rapid fire guns were invented to satisfy shooters who thought lots of shots quickly might be fun.

Anyway, it was daft of me to suggest any form of restriction on numbers and types of gun. I shall go back to arguing action to keep guns away from criminals and nuts is the only realistic course of action.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:35 PM   #347
triforcharity
Banned

And how often does a gun legitimately malfunction and start firing on it's own?

Once in a blue moon with a pink dot in the middle.

Here's another part you missed.

From your own article "The Polk County Sheriff's Office said the gun may have been altered, leading to the malfunction."

Secondly, Jennings Firearms are garbage, especially when altered.

Laying down a loaded weapon is also not smart.

But yes, technically they do malfunction on a rare rare occasion. but yet, so do many other things.

**** happens.

Oh, btw, is it now rational to fear all guns, because one malfunctioned?

Should I fear cars the same way?

Yes, I know one is designed to kill, and one is not. That doesn't nullify my comparison.

So, are you afraid of the one in my avatar?
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 01:40 PM   #348
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'm concerned that I don't know if the owner of the gun in your avatar is responsible or not.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 01:41 PM   #349
Nessie
Philosopher

And how often does a gun legitimately malfunction and start firing on it's own?

Once in a blue moon with a pink dot in the middle.

That is the same rate as a mass home invasion by armed criminals intent on rape and pillage on a law abiding citizen not involved in gangs.

Yet you say it is wise to prepare yourself for such a situation by being heavily armed. So it would therefore be wise to act against malfunctioning guns by having heavy restrictions on their use.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:42 PM   #350
triforcharity
Banned

-z
You do realize the irony of the two hilited statements, right?

Since nobody has claimed the first hilite, I will dismiss the rest as ignorance and hyperbole.

Congratulations, you're dancing in the blood of kids to get your knee-jerk, useless laws passed. And you say OUR culture is sick?
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 01:45 PM   #351
Fast Eddie B
Graduate Poster

OK, since he ignored me...

...does anyone know where rizkilla is from?
Old 8th January 2013, 01:50 PM   #352
Kestrel
Philosopher

Olympic rapid fire pistol matches use 5 round magazines. A ban on magazine capacities over 10 rounds would not affect this sport.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 01:59 PM   #353
Noztradamus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post
Yes, I'm pro-child killing.
You are probably also in favour of raising storms, blighting your neighbour's crops, and curdling their milk.

Your desire for power over your neighbours needs to be suppressed; which why they need to control your anti-social activities.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:00 PM   #354
triforcharity
Banned

Nor would it do anything else. It takes about 2 seconds to drop a magazine and load a fresh one.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #355
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I'm concerned that I don't know if the owner of the gun in your avatar is responsible or not.
He's one of the most responsible gun owners I know.

Maybe you'll answer.

Are you afraid of the gun in my avatar? Do you need to know more about it to answer the question?
Old 8th January 2013, 04:24 PM   #356
Ranb
Philosopher

Olympic rapid fire pistol matches use 5 round magazines. A ban on magazine capacities over 10 rounds would not affect this sport.
So? The SSP is still rapid fire. The 2013 AWB is supposed to be a more strict version of the 1994 version.

Quote:
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
From what I have read, only one "evil" feature is required to make the SSP an assault weapon. In this case it would be a magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip. The SSP mag is inserted through the top of the action and rests above the pistol grip. So it appears that this pistol might be on the list.

Ranb
Old 8th January 2013, 07:11 PM   #357
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
You are probably also in favour of raising storms, blighting your neighbour's crops, and curdling their milk.

Your desire for power over your neighbours needs to be suppressed; which why they need to control your anti-social activities.
I agree, we should remove suppressors from the NFA list. A quieter gun is more neighbor-friendly gun!
Old 8th January 2013, 07:25 PM   #358
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He's one of the most responsible gun owners I know.

Maybe you'll answer.

Are you afraid of the gun in my avatar? Do you need to know more about it to answer the question?
I'm concerned that it could kill me, yes. However, i don't know if it's functional.

Also, i don't know that you're qualified to assess the gun owners sense of responsibility.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 8th January 2013 at 07:26 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2013, 07:27 PM   #359
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

It also would not reduce crime or bring down the number from mass murders. Those making this argument simply don't know enough about firearms to make an educated assertion, period.

Why ban something that wouldn't make a difference? I think we ought to ban guitars because someone might kill with one. Oh ****, too late!

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/...4411351616086/

I just find a lot of folks disingenuous or just ignorant and not bothering to learn what they are arguing for. Banning magazines based on size is just stupid. Sorry, but it is. It takes less than two seconds to press a button, drop a mag, insert a new one, and release the slide.

More information came out about the Sandy Hook shooting. Apparently the shooter thought he was playing Call of Duty and changed most of his mags before they were empty.

Quote:
He fired about 150 rounds in all during the classroom-to-classroom spree and rapidly changed clips, sometimes after firing only half of the magazine's rounds.
Privately, investigators wondered whether the reloading habit was influenced by the endless hours the quiet, withdrawn loner spent playing violent, first-person shooter video games, the Courant reported.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2HRPDalH4

But yeah, back to the stupid. Now, if an anti was to say "ban all firearms with detachable magazines and ban all revolvers" that would make more sense. I'd fight it tooth and nail, because it still wouldn't affect crime levels or mass murder, but at least it would make sense. But they don't say that, they won't, because then they'd poke the sleeping fudd bear, and lose. Instead they are dishonest, and people see right through it.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #360
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Reloading a weapon doesn't impair a mass murderer from killing more people? Are you sure about that?

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events