JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » The Amaz!ng Meeting! and other Skeptical Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags TAM 10 , TAMbassadors

Old 18th January 2013, 05:43 AM   #161
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
While I see your point, to be honest I think the vast majority of those who ended up with a distorted view of us (and the other TAM volunteers) as some kind of "plainclothes security" weren't actually there. I think many who were there did see the TAMbassadors as a positive thing, based on my experience.

I would be happy to volunteer again, assuming the JREF still likes the idea.
I didn't know you guys were squealers until after TAM was over.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 07:59 AM   #162
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Please don't let poorly researched Internet posts by people who (by and large) were not present at TAM dissuade you from the contribution you want to make.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 08:48 AM   #163
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
Please don't let poorly researched Internet posts by people who (by and large) were not present at TAM dissuade you from the contribution you want to make.
And by "poorly researched", you mean "not researched at all".

I had fun last year following the twitter feed about all the problems at the conference, posted by people who I know for a fact weren't even there.

The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 09:43 AM   #164
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
While I see your point, to be honest I think the vast majority of those who ended up with a distorted view of us (and the other TAM volunteers) as some kind of "plainclothes security" weren't actually there. I think many who were there did see the TAMbassadors as a positive thing, based on my experience.
So . . . if I were to be a TAMbassador, does this mean I wouldn't be required to use a fake German accent and question everyone's motives?

<sigh> nevermind, then
Old 18th January 2013, 10:39 AM   #165
Allecher
Critical Thinker

Not required, dasmiller, but totally fine by me.

I don't want to derail the thread, but they took a picture of the group and the end of TAM. Does anyone know what happened to it?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:14 PM   #166
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Allecher View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but they took a picture of the group and the end of TAM. Does anyone know what happened to it?
I asked that very same question to a bunch of folks who would supposedly know about that. Never got much of an answer. Weird.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #167
Kochanski
Master Poster

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
I will be happy to join the ranks of the TAMbassadors. Since I will probably be at the forum table again and people are likely to ask me questions anyway, I might as well make it official
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 04:44 PM   #168
bumlet5
Indescribable

I'll give it another shot.

NameDays AttendingExperienceComments
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10 

Do we want to stick with the big, bright orange buttons or get different ones?

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
"I've seen so much death" <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> -Nathan Fillion
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 05:02 PM   #169
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by bumlet5 View Post
I'll give it another shot.
Yaay!! Rumor mongers aren't gonna win!

NameDays AttendingExperienceComments
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10 
WowbaggerThurs-Sun?3,4,5,5.5,6,7,8,9,10,L10 

Do we want to stick with the big, bright orange buttons or get different ones?
If we stick with the same buttons, I can reuse mine from last year, and I am pretty sure others could do the same.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 09:31 AM   #170
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
If we stick with the same buttons, I can reuse mine from last year, and I am pretty sure others could do the same.

But have a few extra for those who missed last year....
Old 19th January 2013, 10:12 AM   #171
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Would it help if we added a column for button reuse?

NameDays AttendingExperienceCan Reuse ButtonComments
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
WowbaggerThurs-Sun?3,4,5,5.5,6,7,8,9,10,L10Yes 

Old 19th January 2013, 10:43 AM   #172
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Just to step back a bit, the reason we had TAMbassadors was because it seemed, at one point, that there weren't going to be any volunteers helping run TAM, and people wanted to help.

Now, I'm certainly not saying it was a bad idea, nor that we shouldn't have both TAMbassadors and volunteers, but I'm just wondering if we should take this opportunity to establish what we want the TAMbassador role to be, and if it should be separate from the volunteers or not. The main difference in practice last year was that volunteers had some scheduled duties (mainly helping with registration or manning the doors for events), and TAMbassadors didn't; both (overlapping) groups were also available to help with questions from attendees, and were asked to look out for any harassment problems.

Personally, I don't have any problem with it; I was a volunteer as well, and the TAMbassador button was a way of indicating my willingness to help without having to wear the same T-shirt for 4 days. However, some people may have been concerned at the 'secret police' side of things; not necessarily what they were asked to do (which I thought totally reasonable), but at what some people thought they were doing (if that's not too convoluted).

Of course, I don't think we know yet if volunteers will be needed this year. I'll be signing up for both, if possible.

Thoughts?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 02:13 PM   #173
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I was a TAMbassador and I didn't even realize that we were looked at askance. Now, I'm not deeply in the blogoloop, but I think this demonstrates that the job had value without being too weird.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 02:16 PM   #174
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
Paul C. AnagnostopoulosWed--Monall except 5.5yes 

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 04:13 PM   #175
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I'm just wondering if we should take this opportunity to establish what we want the TAMbassador role to be, and if it should be separate from the volunteers or not. The main difference in practice last year was that volunteers had some scheduled duties (mainly helping with registration or manning the doors for events), and TAMbassadors didn't; both (overlapping) groups were also available to help with questions from attendees, and were asked to look out for any harassment problems.
I think you have the gist of it: A TAMbassador is willing to be asked questions from newbies. A volunteer is willing to accept certain scheduled tasks. One can be both, but one can choose one or the other. Or neither.

Some volunteers might not like being "hounded on" for questions, and so won't wear a TAMbassador badge.

TAMbassadors might enjoy answering questions, and will wear the badge, but won't want to volunteer for specific scheduled tasks, and thus won't do so.

We were not asked to "look out" for any harassment problems. But, rather to report any problems to the proper authorities if we happen to witness any. This, I imagine, is what a normal, non-TAMbassador would do, anyway. The only real difference is that we had some extra phone numbers handy.
We were not authorized to do jacksquat besides that.

Old 19th January 2013, 05:53 PM   #176
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

We were not asked to "look out" for any harassment problems. But, rather to report any problems to the proper authorities if we happen to witness any. This, I imagine, is what a normal, non-TAMbassador would do, anyway. The only real difference is that we had some extra phone numbers handy.
We were not authorized to do jacksquat besides that.

Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to be doing. So of course it got blown out of proportion by the usual windbags.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:55 PM   #177
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
I take issue with this. I don't believe I saw you at either of the TAM London's.

Old 20th January 2013, 12:08 PM   #178
BrianEngler
Thinker

BrianEnglerTues-Mon6,7,8,9,10yes 
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
BrianEngler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 12:11 PM   #179
BrianEngler
Thinker

I asked that very same question to a bunch of folks who would supposedly know about that. Never got much of an answer. Weird.
Wondered this myself. Just asked Ingrid Laas (the official TAM photographer who, as I recall, took this pic) if she can share. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
BrianEngler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 12:19 PM   #180
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
Paul C. AnagnostopoulosWed--Monall U.S. except 5.5yesScrut'inized

RIP Mr. Skinny

Last edited by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos; 20th January 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:54 PM   #181
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  
That's better.

Old 20th January 2013, 08:42 PM   #182
rustypouch
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I'm good at harassment, I think I'll sign up!!!
I'll be sure to bring my harassin' shoes next time.
rustypouch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:05 PM   #183
bumlet5
Indescribable

BrianEnglerlate Wed-Sun6,7,8,9,10yes 
Bumlet5Tues-Mon6,8,9,10  

My schedule changed due to work.

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #184
BrianEngler
Thinker

Bumlet5late Wed-Sun6,8,9,10  

Fixed table.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:53 PM   #185
bumlet5
Indescribable

Originally Posted by BrianEngler View Post
Fixed table.
Sorry about that.

Old 29th January 2013, 09:46 AM   #186
Kochanski
Master Poster

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
KochanskiWed-Mon4-10noprobably at forum table

I am in.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 09:53 AM   #187
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

zooterkinTues-Tues8,9,10,L9,L10Yes 
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 12:58 PM   #188
bumlet5
Indescribable

Combined.

Old 29th January 2013, 08:35 PM   #189
AdMan
Philosopher

Well, I don't yet know for certain whether I'll be attending but I likely will, and if so am happy to volunteer again, so I've added me to the list.

AdManTues-Mon, TBC8, 9, 10  
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 02:22 AM   #190
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Combined.
Thanks! I must have still been editing when Kochanski posted.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:06 AM   #191
bumlet5
Indescribable

Bumlet5late Wed-Sun6,8,9,10yes 

Found my button!

Old 11th February 2013, 03:34 PM   #192
Kil
Critical Thinker

If I make it to TAM, I'll be happy to do it again. Still have the button. We'll see.

www.skepticfriends.org
Kil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 09:44 PM   #193
bumlet5
Indescribable

I found two extra buttons from last year!

Old 11th February 2013, 09:56 PM   #194
AdMan
Philosopher

I found two extra buttons from last year!

I think I'll need one.

I still have mine, but unfortunately it's in storage for a while...

Last edited by AdMan; 11th February 2013 at 10:04 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2013, 03:20 PM   #195
Kil
Critical Thinker

KilWed-Mon4-10YesThe days are a hopeful guess at the moment.

www.skepticfriends.org
Kil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2013, 08:02 PM   #196
BrianEngler
Thinker

Regrettably I won't be able to get to TAM this year, so I can only be a TAMbassador in absentia. Have fun

Old 8th April 2013, 05:48 PM   #197
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrianEngler View Post
Regrettably I won't be able to get to TAM this year, so I can only be a TAMbassador in absentia. Have fun

That's too bad, Brian. You'll be missed!
Old 9th June 2013, 04:21 PM   #198
Allecher
Critical Thinker

AllecherTues-Mon8, 9, 10Yes 
Allecher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2013, 06:39 PM   #199
Kil
Critical Thinker

KilWed-Mon4-10YesEverything is set, pretty much.

www.skepticfriends.org
Old 10th June 2013, 05:43 AM   #200
Hokulele Mom
Critical Thinker

Hokulele MomWed-Monall US, including 5.5yes 

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » The Amaz!ng Meeting! and other Skeptical Events