JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags homeopath

Old 27th January 2013, 06:56 PM   #41
Stomatopoda
Muse

Buyers would just interpret it as "wink, wink" in the same manner that bath salts were "for external use only".
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 11:42 PM   #42
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
On the other hand, the comment that "However I am afraid that I have to disagree with you on this issue" can be construed as "I disagree with you on the idea that homeopathy does not work", i.e. "I believe that homeopathy does work".
Absolutely. It's an ambiguous statement, quite likely deliberately so.

ETA: To amplify (I was on a tablet earlier, I have a keyboard now), he's disagreeing with a two part statement, but is not clear whether it is the suggestion that homoeopathy is not effective or the conclusion that it should not be offered on the NHS with which he disagrees.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232

Last edited by zooterkin; 28th January 2013 at 12:23 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #43
John Jones
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Yes, and I pointed out to the poster who made the claim that when Prince Phillip had his heart trouble a year or so ago he was rushed to a real hospital not the London Homeopathic Hospital. A flurry of evasion, assertions and outright lies ensued shifting the emphisis eventually to mastitis in the Queen's dairy herd.

Of course this was the same poster who claimed that the Queen's homeopath used Icelandic glacial water which had been frozen since before animal life arose.........
The devil you say! (I apologize for arriving late.)
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 01:37 AM   #44
P.J. Denyer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
I googled “homeopathic grafting” and hit a website called “WholeHeathNow” which describes itself as “Your #1 source for everything homeopathic!”

Bang “WholeHeathNow” into google, when you get to the home site click on “Professional Info” and prepare to be astounded!
Quote:
grafting -- method of making medicated pellets by placing non-medicated pellets in contact with medicated ones. Also done with liquid potencies.
http://www.wholehealthnow.com/homeop..._glossary.html

Yep, if actually making non-working, non-remedical 'remedies' by a method with as much validity as shaking a dead chicken over the patient is too much like work you can just top up the jars with admitted ordinary sugar pills and sell them as medicine too.

I'm sure the only reason that homeopathy survives is that most people don't actually understand what it is supposed to be and conflate it with herbalism.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology