IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Notrump
Muse

Wink Comet C/2012 F6 (Lemmon)

Comet C/2012 F6 (Lemmon) will soon be reaching naked-eye visibility. However it is currently passing high over Antarctica and visible only to southern hemisphere observers. It will be nearest to Earth on 2013 FEB 05 and nearest to the Sun on MAR 24. Its estimated peak brilliance of +4.2 should occur on MAR 20 while it is too near to the Sun to be seen by naked eyes.

Perhaps the woos will deem this the comet of doom that can only be seen by conspiratorial astronomers at the South Pole.

After the comet passes perihelion, it should become visible to naked eyes in the northern hemisphere. I’ve created six related graphics with data that can be seen at: www.CurtRenz.com/comets

Photos and descriptions of the comet would be welcome additions to this thread.
Notrump is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
DC
Banned

its planet X!!! didn't NASA admit that?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I'm on it!
(Points camera at floor).
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I'm on it!
(Points camera at floor).

Don't forget to make certain that the camera is out of focus first.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:31 AM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What I would like to know is for a given date where in the world would I be able to see the comet and how bright would it be and where in the sky will it be? Then if necessary I can have a holiday in a place where I can see it.
Old 31st January 2013, 03:39 AM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there is likely to be a better one along late in the year.
Curt described it in an earlier thread.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=244625

As for this one- bear in mind that it's not a (hugely) bright object. Naked eye visible, (just), but you would want decent binoculars, I'd think.
Curt's equatorial chart gives you a fair idea. Combine that with any free astronomical software like Starcalc or Stellarium and you can work out where to go.
http://www.curtrenz.com/comets12.html
http://starcalc.en.softonic.com/
http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Incidentally - re the joke about photographing a S. hemisphere object from up north, here's a link to one of the most incredible pictures ever- The sun, photographed through the Earth by neutrino "light".

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/c...utrino_sun.gif

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 31st January 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
macdoc
Philosopher

Quote:
What I would like to know is for a given date where in the world would I be able to see the comet and how bright would it be and where in the sky will it be? Then if necessary I can have a holiday in a place where I can see it.
It will be very difficult to do that as there is no knowing how bright a comet will be.
Comet McNaught was no expected to be a once in a lifetime show- but it was.

This is what we saw when we walked out on the beach in Hermanus South Africa.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...at_Paranal.jpg

Because there is no knowing how much gas will come off a comet it cannot be predicted long in advance - WHERE to see it can be.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology