JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 2nd February 2013, 04:19 AM   #1
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Key stroke question

New document; two columns, narrow to left, wide to right; couldn't work out how to go from writing name in first column then jumping to next column to add notes. Phoned Dolphin but I couldn't make their key stroke suggestions work.
Does anyone know, please? I tried F1 but for M/S Word 2010, that appears to consist of internet links, instead of a nice, clear index! Any help much appreciated.
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:07 AM   #2
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
New document; two columns, narrow to left, wide to right; couldn't work out how to go from writing name in first column then jumping to next column to add notes. Phoned Dolphin but I couldn't make their key stroke suggestions work.
Does anyone know, please? I tried F1 but for M/S Word 2010, that appears to consist of internet links, instead of a nice, clear index! Any help much appreciated.
Tab?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:13 AM   #3
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Thank you! But no I'm afraid not. If I tab, the voice just says 3.5 cm' and moves the name, whether the cursor is at the beginning or the end of the name.
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Floyt
Chordate

Susan, for me (Word 2007) it's Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Bit of a handful, but I don't use columns often...
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Floyt

Thank you ... ... oh dear, that doesn't work either!
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:10 AM   #6
paulhutch
Thinker

I don't think there is a keyboard command to do what you want. Word document columns (and other word processing and desktop publishing multiple column docs) are designed to have the text flow smoothly from the bottom of one column to the top of the next column with no row alignment, like a newspaper or magazine article layout.

To have columns aligned with rows I suggest you use a two column table. Size the table to fill the page and have no visible borders so that it looks like a standard two column text layout when printed. This will ensure that the rows stay aligned and you can use tab and shift+tab to move between the columns.
paulhutch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:06 AM   #7
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

paulhutch

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated. I will do as you suggest and make a table.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:19 AM   #8
SUSpilot
Graduate Poster

Key stroke question

This is why I liked WordPerfect when it was the gold standard. It actually did what you wanted, including aligned columns (where the rows moved together, no less!), not what the MS programmers think you want.
SUSpilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:18 PM   #9
OnlyTellsTruths

This was discussed quite a bit in this thread:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=237941

The discussion is interspersed with another discussion, but it's there.

I believe it starts around post #15 or so, and is discussed much more later in the thread.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:15 PM   #10
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you are using two columns in a 2010 Word document (page layout tab, columns) then once you have filled up one column it goes on to the second.

An alternative is to use a table. Then you go from one column to the next via a tab key or the arrow keys.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:18 AM   #11
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Many thanks for the replies. I will have to do it as a table I think.
Also I will go and have a look at the link. thank you.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:39 AM   #12
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

OnlyTellsTruths

thank you - I've skimmed through the thread including #47.
A friend has written to ask if I'd tried 'column breaks' which apparently enable you to jump columns. I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

I eventually printed it at font size 48 in bold, so it's come out on three pages, but I can peer at the numbers without my magnifier, and in fact I more or less know most of them. But I was determined to do it!!

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet