JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags iPhone 5

Reply
Old 1st February 2013, 06:29 AM   #721
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ah sorry I got the wrong end of the stick - let me wipe my hands and I'll start again.

From what you've summarised above what is different for him than if he did have an iPhone? You seem to be saying he does exactly what someone with an iPhone would do when it comes down to apps.
That's exactly my point. Neither of my colleagues use their Android devices any differently from an iPhone. One wishes he now had an iPhone and the other wishes he could afford 2! Nothing would be different.

The selling point was not Android, but a larger screen than the 4S, and price.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:41 PM   #722
merentha
Critical Thinker
 
merentha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
The selling point was not Android, but a larger screen than the 4S, and price.
But that's already one of the freedom of an Android phone, the freedom to choose any model based on the screen size, specs and price that appeals to the user.
merentha is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:42 AM   #723
OCaptain
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,044
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your colleague is choosing to use his freedom to not download an app from the official play store, an iPhone user does not have that freedom, plus to exercise that freedom he's has had to customize his phone by altering his phones default setup as by default you can't install any app not from the party store.
Are you suggesting that there aren't iPhone owners who never download apps from the App Store? There's no store called the "party store".
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:50 AM   #724
Darat
Lackey
Administrator / JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 66,850
Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
Are you suggesting that there aren't iPhone owners who never download apps from the App Store? There's no store called the "party store".
Unfortunately predictive text on phones still requires a user to read what they are about to post to see if the predictions are correct: "Party store" should have been "Play store".
__________________
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 1918-2008

Last edited by Darat; 3rd February 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:55 AM   #725
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
But that's already one of the freedom of an Android phone, the freedom to choose any model based on the screen size, specs and price that appeals to the user.
Screen size is not determined by the OS, so is therefore not an Android 'Feature'.

A potential iPhone user also has a choice of screen sizes and prices.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:29 AM   #726
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
But that's already one of the freedom of an Android phone, the freedom to choose any model based on the screen size, specs and price that appeals to the user.
Do you mean to say that you can't choose any model iphone based on the screen size, specs and price that appeals to the user ? That's an odd notion.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:29 PM   #727
merentha
Critical Thinker
 
merentha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Screen size is not determined by the OS, so is therefore not an Android 'Feature'.

A potential iPhone user also has a choice of screen sizes and prices.
Yes, I know the iPhone5 has a "slightly larger" screen. But not large enough for me and most of my friends (who are on Android), so there is no choice at all.
merentha is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:50 PM   #728
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NeverLand
Posts: 12,067
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
Yes, I know the iPhone5 has a "slightly larger" screen. But not large enough for me and most of my friends (who are on Android), so there is no choice at all.
For Christmas I got a phone with only a 720p screen, and I threw it in my grandmother's face!



(jk about tech in general, not android/ios)
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 12:45 AM   #729
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
Yes, I know the iPhone5 has a "slightly larger" screen. But not large enough for me and most of my friends (who are on Android), so there is no choice at all.
If you want an iPhone you have a choice between screen sizes and price. If you want a phone with a larger screen, then you pick a Samsung, an HTC, a Nokia or a BlackBerry - OS has nothing to do with the physical screen size; that's down to the device manufacturer.

Like my friend who owns an S2 alluded to - I think we're regressing in terms of mobile phone portability - my iPhone 5 fits nicely into any pocket without restricting my movement; if it were any larger, then putting it in my front jeans pocket and driving would not be comfortable.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 02:29 AM   #730
GraculusTheGreenBird
Scholar
 
GraculusTheGreenBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 115
Talking

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Like my friend who owns an S2 alluded to - I think we're regressing in terms of mobile phone portability - my iPhone 5 fits nicely into any pocket without restricting my movement; if it were any larger, then putting it in my front jeans pocket and driving would not be comfortable.
Oh man, I could go with all sorts of jokes here.. but I'm gonna stick with:

"Perhaps its time your mom bought you some big boy pants?"


In all seriousness, its not a problem. People have got used to the larger size phones, and it hasn't stopped the millions of S2 or S3 owners from driving, sitting, or doing anything else.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 02:59 AM   #731
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
Oh man, I could go with all sorts of jokes here.. but I'm gonna stick with:

"Perhaps its time your mom bought you some big boy pants?"


In all seriousness, its not a problem. People have got used to the larger size phones, and it hasn't stopped the millions of S2 or S3 owners from driving, sitting, or doing anything else.
Really? It was actually my S3 owning colleague who mentioned that although he liked the size for watching Netflix videos, it was a pain to fit into certain pockets, and annoying while driving. The same colleague who said he wished he'd known the iPhone 5 was going to be bigger because he'd have bought that instead. That got me thinking about how my iPhone 5 fits comfortably in any of my pockets.

As I also said, my other colleague wouldn't get an S3 because the screen is too big. Other than that, I haven't met anyone else with a Samsung phone, so I couldn't comment. Another colleague has a Blackberry and hated it, so he just swapped it for an iPhone 3GS.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 05:22 PM   #732
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
If you want an iPhone you have a choice between screen sizes and price. If you want a phone with a larger screen, then you pick a Samsung, an HTC, a Nokia or a BlackBerry - OS has nothing to do with the physical screen size; that's down to the device manufacturer.

Like my friend who owns an S2 alluded to - I think we're regressing in terms of mobile phone portability - my iPhone 5 fits nicely into any pocket without restricting my movement; if it were any larger, then putting it in my front jeans pocket and driving would not be comfortable.
I don't think so. As you have mentioned phones, especially android phones come in a variety of shapes and sizes, portability is not regressing, infact it is improving, while screen sizes in some phones are large, the weight is still quite low, and whilst large, many people still find them quite comfortable and easy to carry around.

Since you like anecdotes here's mine.
My wife and my sister both have S3 phones. My wife finds it no more difficult to carry than her s1 (keeps it in her handbag) and my sister prefers the S3 over her old iPhone 4 and her husband's 4s. I have 2 other friends that use S3s and are happy with them. The others use a mix of Nokia's and iPhones. I currently use a htc hd2 for work and a stock EVO 3d for personal use. Both are great phones and are fun to use. The 3d videos and photos seem to work well.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #733
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
<SNIP>
Samsung is the new king of smartphones; currently and for the foreseeable future.
The "king of smartphones" did not do as well last as the non-king (apple) last quarter.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/...-profit-share/
  • Apple took home 72% of the profits with only 21.7% of unit sales (up from 15.4% in Q3).
  • Samsung's 29% of the profits came from 28.9% of unit sales (down from 32.3% in Q3).
  • 43 cents of every dollar spent in the world on a cellphone in Q4 ended up in Apple's coffers.
  • Samsung got 36 cents. Nokia got 7 cents. All the rest got less than 5.
  • For 2013, Walkley predicts that Apple and Samsung will split 103% of the profits, 69/34.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 02:00 AM   #734
kevsta
RBL CHeck Failed
 
kevsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in the shadows with a torch
Posts: 3,140
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Apple stock continues to slide, down over 28% from its September high, amid reports of weakening iPhone 5 sales.

Meanwhile a car crashes into an Apple store in Chicago. No word yet on whether the driver was just folllowing the directions on his iPhone 5 navigatiopn app.


probably going to bounce from here now as the world's worst fund manager sold out at a loss a day or two ago, and his timing is usually pretty good.

Reggie Middleton was calling this the whole of last year. http://boombustblog.com/blog/item/62...just-not-funny a long Google short Apple pair trade made big money.

you'd have to think their (Apple's) own internal hedge fund was shorting it's own stock, wouldn't you? probably long Google too lol
__________________
"The world will soon wake up to the reality that everyone is broke and can collect nothing from the bankrupt, who are owed unlimited amounts by the insolvent, who are attempting to make late payments on a bank holiday in the wrong country, with an unacceptable currency, against defaulted collateral, of which nobody is sure who holds title." - Anonymous

Last edited by kevsta; 8th February 2013 at 02:01 AM.
kevsta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 02:06 AM   #735
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I don't think so. As you have mentioned phones, especially android phones come in a variety of shapes and sizes, portability is not regressing, infact it is improving, while screen sizes in some phones are large, the weight is still quite low, and whilst large, many people still find them quite comfortable and easy to carry around.
And many people don't... wheeeeeeeee... round and round we go.

That said though, I wasn't talking about 'weight', but size. An S3 would not be a comfortable fit in my jeans pocket.

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Since you like anecdotes here's mine.
My wife and my sister both have S3 phones. My wife finds it no more difficult to carry than her s1 (keeps it in her handbag) and my sister prefers the S3 over her old iPhone 4 and her husband's 4s. I have 2 other friends that use S3s and are happy with them. The others use a mix of Nokia's and iPhones. I currently use a htc hd2 for work and a stock EVO 3d for personal use. Both are great phones and are fun to use. The 3d videos and photos seem to work well.
Here's another one of mine. S3 owning colleague watched me make and amend an appointment using Siri, and was amazed - thought it was really impressive. It wasn't until later I thought, doesn't the S3 have a similar capability? I was pretty sure that Android rushed out something similar in the wake of Siri appearing on the 4S.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 02:25 AM   #736
Darat
Lackey
Administrator / JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 66,850
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
...snip... I was pretty sure that Android rushed out something similar in the wake of Siri appearing on the 4S.
It was already in Samsung smartphones before Siri was even released as an app never mind Apple buying it and incorporating it into the OS.
__________________
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 1918-2008
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 03:14 AM   #737
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It was already in Samsung smartphones before Siri was even released as an app never mind Apple buying it and incorporating it into the OS.
Yes, but iPhones had 'voice control' from the 3G model (or was it 3GS?) in 2009 onwards as well. Siri is a 'personal assistant', with much more functionality than the old 'voice control', and Android pushed something out more akin to Siri in the wake of the 4S release, IIRC.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 01:35 PM   #738
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It was already in Samsung smartphones before Siri was even released as an app never mind Apple buying it and incorporating it into the OS.
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...oice-hands-on/
S Voice, which launched this summer on the Samsung Galaxy S3, is Samsung's answer to Siri. That also makes S Voice the predominant voice app for the iPhone 5's brawniest Android contender.
S Voice has been getting a bad rap ever since the its debut. CNET Asia and CNET UK both slammed the Siri-wannabe before the Galaxy S3 arrived in the U.S., and Siri easily won here in San Francisco as well.


What was the name of what samsung had before S Voice ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 02:52 PM   #739
Darat
Lackey
Administrator / JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 66,850
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...oice-hands-on/
S Voice, which launched this summer on the Samsung Galaxy S3, is Samsung's answer to Siri. That also makes S Voice the predominant voice app for the iPhone 5's brawniest Android contender.
S Voice has been getting a bad rap ever since the its debut. CNET Asia and CNET UK both slammed the Siri-wannabe before the Galaxy S3 arrived in the U.S., and Siri easily won here in San Francisco as well.


What was the name of what samsung had before S Voice ?
Who was even taking about S-Voice?
__________________
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 1918-2008
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 04:09 PM   #740
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Who was even taking about S-Voice?
I think we were... I mentioned my colleague didn't know he had something similar to Siri on his S3 that was brought out in the wake of Siri.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 06:21 PM   #741
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It was already in Samsung smartphones before Siri was even released as an app never mind Apple buying it and incorporating it into the OS.
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...oice-hands-on/
S Voice, which launched this summer on the Samsung Galaxy S3, is Samsung's answer to Siri. That also makes S Voice the predominant voice app for the iPhone 5's brawniest Android contender.
S Voice has been getting a bad rap ever since the its debut. CNET Asia and CNET UK both slammed the Siri-wannabe before the Galaxy S3 arrived in the U.S., and Siri easily won here in San Francisco as well.


What was the name of what samsung had before S Voice ?
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Who was even taking about S-Voice?
I was. I brought it up in relation to the hilited 'it' so I could find out what the 'it' was that was already in samsung phones before siri was even released. Hence my question:
What was the name of what samsung had before S Voice ?

Was it just android voice control ? Or was it something samsung specific ?

I'm sorry bringing up S-voice confused you, it made sense to me when I posted it.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 04:20 PM   #742
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
I believe he is referring to products like thiese in this article. Whether they are more functional than siri I don't know I've never used them and never felt the urge to, although I can see where they might be handy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/siri-...d-2011-11?op=1

The only real difference I can see though is that Google didn't buy them out and tempoarily restrict them to one phone in order to drive up hype and sales.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 01:38 AM   #743
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I believe he is referring to products like thiese in this article. Whether they are more functional than siri I don't know I've never used them and never felt the urge to, although I can see where they might be handy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/siri-...d-2011-11?op=1

The only real difference I can see though is that Google didn't buy them out and tempoarily restrict them to one phone in order to drive up hype and sales.
No, Google did the honourable thing and immediately rushed out their own version to capitalise on the success of an Apple product. The other difference you missed is that Google's effort is apparently inferior to Siri, but hey - at least any Android user has access to it!

You really think Google did that because they are White Knights in shining armour fighting the evil tyranny of Apple, or because they smelled money?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:29 AM   #744
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
No, Google did the honourable thing and immediately rushed out their own version to capitalise on the success of an Apple product. The other difference you missed is that Google's effort is apparently inferior to Siri, but hey - at least any Android user has access to it!

You really think Google did that because they are White Knights in shining armour fighting the evil tyranny of Apple, or because they smelled money?
No Google did not rush out and make their own version. They had various levels of voice commands already built in BEFORE Apple purchased SIRI.

Other companies were also making voice control for mobiles well before SIRI. Vlingo for example, was originally on blackberry and made availible for Android as a beta in 2009. Tellme was a microsoft effort for windows mobile 6.5.

Apple jumped on the bandwagon, not by in house innovation, but buying out an already established company and MONOPOLISING voice controled features for their smartphone line, and only allowing it on ONE of their newest models as a fake exclusive feature in order to drive up hype and sales. They then graciously allowed neutered versions onto their older smartphones after months of complaints.

Google are definately not white knights, and Apple are definitely not the innovative powerhouse some like to pretend they are.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 06:08 AM   #745
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
No Google did not rush out and make their own version. They had various levels of voice commands already built in BEFORE Apple purchased SIRI.
So did Apple. What's your point?

S Voice wasn't an attempt to cash in on what Apple were touting as a major selling point of a new iPhone? Yeah...

Quote:
Other companies were also making voice control for mobiles well before SIRI. Vlingo for example, was originally on blackberry and made availible for Android as a beta in 2009. Tellme was a microsoft effort for windows mobile 6.5.
And voice control was also a feature of the iPhone in 2009. What's your point?

Quote:
Apple jumped on the bandwagon, not by in house innovation, but buying out an already established company and MONOPOLISING voice controled features for their smartphone line, and only allowing it on ONE of their newest models as a fake exclusive feature in order to drive up hype and sales. They then graciously allowed neutered versions onto their older smartphones after months of complaints.
Fake exclusive? Siri was a virtual assistant; a large step above 'voice control' - if any other phone manufacturer was offering anything at the same level at the same time, I'd be interested to hear about it.

By the FSM, Apple are evil aren't they? Paying shedloads of money to a relatively small company to use and further develop their product, and only offering it to people who buy an iPhone... Wonder how they tricked the makers of Siri into that?

Quote:
Google are definately not white knights, and Apple are definitely not the innovative powerhouse some like to pretend they are.
Not quite as innovative as they used to be, yet they continue to sell.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 02:48 PM   #746
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
No Google did not rush out and make their own version. They had various levels of voice commands already built in BEFORE Apple purchased SIRI.

Other companies were also making voice control for mobiles well before SIRI. Vlingo for example, was originally on blackberry and made availible for Android as a beta in 2009. Tellme was a microsoft effort for windows mobile 6.5.

Apple jumped on the bandwagon, not by in house innovation, but buying out an already established company and MONOPOLISING voice controled features for their smartphone line, and only allowing it on ONE of their newest models as a fake exclusive feature in order to drive up hype and sales. They then graciously allowed neutered versions onto their older smartphones after months of complaints.

Google are definately not white knights, and Apple are definitely not the innovative powerhouse some like to pretend they are.
I think your argument is unintentionally hilarious.

Here is a list of apples acquisitions.

Here is googles.

Compare how many companies google has purchased for their technology over the last few years compared to apple. It's not even close. But somehow apple is the bad guy for adding siri ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:00 PM   #747
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

S voice is Samsung's offering. Google's voice control (I believe it is called google voice actions) predates siri.

Siri was a fake exclusive feature because it was made for iPhone 4, Apple then bought it and then allegedly lied, saying it would only work on their new iPhone 4s. (presumably because it was light on other "innovative" features)

Apple's not evil, they are just trying (successfully) to make money. could be more accurately described as braggarts, but then so are a lot of companies that make unsubstantiated and over the top claims about their own superiority.

I compare them to a know it all 3rd grader, who says he has been everywhere, done everything and is the best at everything, but the moment he is asked to prove it there is some convenient excuse as to why he can't.

Last edited by Hungry81; 10th February 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:11 PM   #748
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I think your argument is unintentionally hilarious.

Here is a list of apples acquisitions.

Here is googles.

Compare how many companies google has purchased for their technology over the last few years compared to apple. It's not even close. But somehow apple is the bad guy for adding siri ?
I'm not arguing against acquisitions. I acknowledge that both companies buy out other companies to enhance their own products or stop others from being able to enhance their own. The difference is Apple and its fans use how "innovative" Apple is as a selling point. When in reality their innovative side is far outweighed by their acumen in business acquisition and marketing.

Apple is not evil its just they are no where near as good as they claim.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:12 PM   #749
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

Double post, apologies

Last edited by Hungry81; 10th February 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 07:51 AM   #750
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I'm not arguing against acquisitions. I acknowledge that both companies buy out other companies to enhance their own products or stop others from being able to enhance their own. The difference is Apple and its fans use how "innovative" Apple is as a selling point. When in reality their innovative side is far outweighed by their acumen in business acquisition and marketing.
I don't understand what the issues is, then. You've created some 'apple is so innovative' strawman. ( Unless you can point to where in this thread people were making that claim ) Siri is not voice control. Apple already had voice control on the iPhone and iPods.

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Apple is not evil its just they are no where near as good as they claim.
How good exactly do they claim they are ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 11:02 AM   #751
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
S voice is Samsung's offering. Google's voice control (I believe it is called google voice actions) predates siri.
And iPhone had voice control in 2009 as a fully-working feature, which predates Siri. What's your point?

Quote:
Siri was a fake exclusive feature because it was made for iPhone 4, Apple then bought it and then allegedly lied, saying it would only work on their new iPhone 4s. (presumably because it was light on other "innovative" features)
It wasn't fake at all - it was exclusive to iPhone 4S. You couldn't get it on any other iPhone. How is that not, by definition, exclusive?

It only worked in it's updated and redesigned form on iPhone 4S. Siri was not the same as the app you could get for the iPhone 4.

What's wrong with a company wanting a major selling point for an updated model of a product? Remember, Apple weren't pushing the iPhone 4S as the second coming of Christ - that was purely media and fan speculation and hype. Typically Apple said nothing about the iPhone 4S until they announced it.

Quote:
Apple's not evil, they are just trying (successfully) to make money. could be more accurately described as braggarts, but then so are a lot of companies that make unsubstantiated and over the top claims about their own superiority.
Can you show me examples of where Apple have made unsubstantiated and over the top claims about their products?

Do you mean something along the lines of the pitiful 'Samsung Vs iPhone 4S' magazine advert that Samsung crapped out? The one where the laundry list of "spectacular" features included 'place your phone face down to put it in silent mode' instead of Apple's archaic and complex 'flick a switch on the phone to enter silent mode and put your phone down however you like' feature?

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I compare them to a know it all 3rd grader, who says he has been everywhere, done everything and is the best at everything, but the moment he is asked to prove it there is some convenient excuse as to why he can't.
Can you give me a recent example of a claim Apple have made that they have been unable to substantiate?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 11th February 2013 at 11:04 AM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 02:31 PM   #752
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4IR...e_gdata_player

You're welcome. Also see almost every single one of their adds since Mac vs pc.

Last edited by Hungry81; 11th February 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 03:15 PM   #753
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,246
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4IR...e_gdata_player

You're welcome. Also see almost every single one of their adds since Mac vs pc.
I'm sorry, what's that an example of exactly?

If that's supposed to illustrate that Apple incorrectly claimed the iPhone 5 is bigger, yet thinner than previous models then you're quite demonstrably wrong.

If that was supposed to prove that Apple claimed to have actually broken the laws of physics when they haven't then you're either trolling or just don't understand advertising. Are you going to criticise Coca-Cola because they've incorrectly claimed polar bears drink coke?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 04:03 PM   #754
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

Polar bears may or may not drink coke. It is a side issue.
You asked me to present one claim that apple made that they couldn't substantiate. I did so. Apple has engaged in deceptive advertising practices at least since their Mac vs pc campaign. If Apple are going to sell their products on such claims they should be prepared to be called out on the stupidity of these claims. Isn't that one reason why this forum exists in the first place?

Even if nobody really believes these claims it speaks volumes that bereft of any real recent new features or innovation, Apple has to pad their adds out with this fluff.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 04:20 PM   #755
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,360
Saying that their new phone is thinner and longer is a deceptive advertising practice? Dude.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 05:06 PM   #756
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

No its the part about it defying physics that I was pointing out.
Again I was asked to produce one example of apple making unsubstantiated claims. That's one I pulled out off the top of my head

Even if no one takes it seriously its still an example of a unsubstantiated claim, just like every time they call their devices "magic" or "revolutionary", but I can find others examples once I get time. (I'm at work now)
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 05:49 PM   #757
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,360
iPhone 5

You're being silly.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 06:45 PM   #758
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 325
Re: iPhone 5

Look I'm not using it as the conclusion of some killer argument. I was asked to provide evidence of apple making an unsupported claim and I did.
I'm not saying that its the be all and end all, and I have offered to provide other examples once I get to a computer.

I freely acknowledge ads sometimes exaggerate or outright lie, just like the s2 add that implies the phone can survive and continue working after being submerged in a fishbowl. Yes it may be a silly example, but its from a silly ad, if you want to move the goalposts that's fine, I can find unsubstantiated claims that do not come from their ads

Last edited by Hungry81; 11th February 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2013, 07:12 PM   #759
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,360
iPhone 5

Ok. In America at least, the shorthand for "advertisement" is "ad."

Apologies if your smartphone is adding the extra d.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 07:20 AM   #760
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,358
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Look I'm not using it as the conclusion of some killer argument. I was asked to provide evidence of apple making an unsupported claim and I did.
I'm not saying that its the be all and end all, and I have offered to provide other examples once I get to a computer.

I freely acknowledge ads sometimes exaggerate or outright lie, just like the s2 add that implies the phone can survive and continue working after being submerged in a fishbowl. Yes it may be a silly example, but its from a silly ad, if you want to move the goalposts that's fine, I can find unsubstantiated claims that do not come from their ads
No, let's leave the goalposts where you set them:

Quote:
Apple's not evil, they are just trying (successfully) to make money. could be more accurately described as braggarts, but then so are a lot of companies that make unsubstantiated and over the top claims about their own superiority.
The hilited claim is what you should substantiate.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.