JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 4th February 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Zeuzzz
Banned

Youtube and copyright

This thread is intended for any person that has uploaded a video to youtube and has been effected by their copyright policies in someway.

What is particularly annoying me at the moment is I have an account on there that has uploaded about 40 public sector videos. These are non profit videos that are not on sale, but since *apparently* at some points into each documentary they use a few minutes of, say, a backing track that gets picked up by the "audio visual content" data transcription process the entire video is marked as "Disputed third party matched content".

Not only have five videos been marked as this but this has now disabled my account from uploading more informative public sector documentaries to the account. It is HIGHLY annoying. I have disputed eight on my account. Three have been verified and allowed. Five are still showing a problem.

This has disabled my account from uploading further informative documentaries longer than 15 minutes

Anyone have any experience with this? Or know any way around this?

I'm finding it extremely hard to find the exact algorithms youtube uses to define which accounts can surpass the 15 minute copyright claim induced restriction.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 10:05 PM   #2
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Any number of people, including people who have no music at all in their videos, have had this problem. It appears that there are some automatic systems that issue complaints to youtube on the most flimsy of automatic, inaccurate evidence.

The problem is simple, there is, in any practical sense, no recovery for harm done to people whose videos are taken down improperly. It's not youtube per se, it's the laws that surround copyright at the present.

People (and companies) should be allowed to enforce their copyright. They should, however, have to make good if their complaints are false, and they don't.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Stomatopoda
Muse

Youtube is pretty terrible compared to other major video-hosting sites in every way except popularity and user #s... and sadly, those are all that seem to matter.

Try using different sites, unless your audience is the type who will freak out over it (which most audiences will, sadly).
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Don't use a few minutes of third-party backing track without permission. Problem solved.

Also, don't beg the question that your work is so important that you should be allowed to enhance it with other people's work without their permission.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I posted a clip from Battle Royale on YouTube, with funny subtitles, a la the clip of Hitler ranting in Der Untergang.

It should have been allowed under fair use, since it's parody and satire, but the copyright holder in the US complained and the video is now blocked in the US. I tried to appeal the block, on the grounds that it was covered under fair use, but it was denied. Viewers outside the US can still watch it.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Almo
Masterblazer

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Don't use a few minutes of third-party backing track without permission. Problem solved.

Also, don't beg the question that your work is so important that you should be allowed to enhance it with other people's work without their permission.
He's not the one putting in the backing tracks. But your point stands.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Zeuzzz
Banned

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
He's not the one putting in the backing tracks. But your point stands.

Exactly. These are public sector creative commons liscence documentaries. I have credited the name of the artist the creative commons documentaries have used (even if they only use a four second visual clip, or a one minute audio backing track during an hour long documentary) and even deleted old ones with copyright claims until I have to start deleting 20,000 view ones. Which I didn't want to do. I don't make money off the adverts youtube arbitrarily assigns to these documentaries. And they add nothing to the documentaries under the fair use clause.
Zeuzzz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:49 AM   #8
KDLarsen
Master Poster

Personally, my beef is when it's the "wrong" copyright group that lays claim to content in a video. As an Underworld fan, I've uploaded some older, semi-rare stuff from the mid-90's, most of which isn't commercially available anywhere. Some of it has been tagged by Underworld, which I have absolutely no problem with since they just tag it and leave it at that.

But some of it has been tagged (and thus blocked in certain countries) by Lopavent (the company behind Love Parade), because they apparently have a video of Underworld performing at their event a few years ago, and because some of the beats in the stuff I uploaded used match beats in their video (there's a surprise!) it gets flagged

Last edited by KDLarsen; 10th February 2013 at 03:50 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance