JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 9th February 2013, 05:16 PM   #241
Kahalachan
Illuminator

Thought experiment:

If any of us were in LA who would we be more worried about?

This ex-cop doesn't scare me at all. I know he's not coming after me.

The LAPD though, I don't trust them at all.
Kahalachan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 05:19 PM   #242
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Seems like he makes a good case for tighter gun control laws.
Which ironically he favors.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 05:23 PM   #243
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlBell View Post
Too many edited copies of his screed around to know for sure, but why is it a tu quoque to mention if he were a poster here he'd be part of JREF progressive majority viewpoints on many issues.
Well if he did post here, I want all of his posts kept so they can be read.
No censorship.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 05:24 PM   #244
hcmom
Tagger

Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
Thought experiment:

If any of us were in LA who would we be more worried about?

This ex-cop doesn't scare me at all. I know he's not coming after me.

The LAPD though, I don't trust them at all.
Some of us had to drive past the intersection where the ex-cop shot at Corona cops. Some of us were quite nervous to be driving by cops with their guns drawn.

hcmom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 05:32 PM   #245
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
He's probably busy reading the interwebs, reveling in the sympathy and admiration being showered upon him by liberals.
I think you are right. He’s such a narcissist, he would want to have internet access and read every word about himself. Unlikely he will ever kill himself.
I predict he will contact the media, give himself up and enjoy a public trial. He may just walk up to a news station and start talking.
Old 9th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #246
MaGZ
Philosopher

What the wikis say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Jordan_Dorner

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Dorner
Old 9th February 2013, 06:00 PM   #247
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
I think you are right. He’s such a narcissist, he would want to have internet access and read every word about himself. Unlikely he will ever kill himself.
I predict he will contact the media, give himself up and enjoy a public trial. He may just walk up to a news station and start talking.
We actually been over this already, but if he was rational enough he would have already talked to the media (or any of several agencies over seeing the LAPD) after gathering everything that he had. His actual actions suggests that he is far from rational.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 06:19 PM   #248
BStrong
Philosopher

I don't believe that political affiliation has anything to do with his crimes - combine a persecution complex with delusions of grandeur, throw in military and LE training with access to firearms and tragedy follows, at least in this case.

I just wish that folks this twisted would just kill themselves only, and take them out of our misery.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 06:52 PM   #249
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zeggman View Post
Yeah, he's such a leftist that he didn't vote in the 2012 election because his man Huntsman didn't get the nomination.

It's funny how some people here are convinced he's a CTist, and others are convinced he's a leftist, as though either label would be relevant. I guess it's important to put him in the "other" group no matter what your own position is.
Being a Ctist and being a leftist are by no means incompatible. A great many of the 9/11 Truthers lean pretty far to the left.
But,yeah, it is always the OTHER side that has all the crazies.Everybody on your side is a rational human being.......

AMazed that some people are trying to make a hero out of this madman, though.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 06:53 PM   #250
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

It's just typical "fight the MAN!!" Garbage rhetoric.

They hate the cops....unless of course they need one.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #251
Kahalachan
Illuminator

Whistleblowers are heros. Whoever exposes corruption is a hero.

Ratting out a fellow cop would likely draw lots of ire. No one would want to be this guy's partner. He did it anyways. That made him a hero.

Whoever exposed the prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib was a hero too.

You can say he was a hero who snapped. And I think that's where the sympathy comes in cause if things went right we would've had an awesome cop still in the force.

He went from hero to mad-man. Almost like Two-Face from The Dark Knight.
Kahalachan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 07:10 PM   #252
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
It's just typical "fight the MAN!!" Garbage rhetoric.

They hate the cops....unless of course they need one.
Well, to be fair, the LAPD operates in some areas more like an occupying army than a police force. So they don't even like them when they need them. They generally aren't "helpful" under the best of circumstances, and there's quite a bit of hostility towards them. I'm not so naive as to imagine that this is a result of simple racism or institutional evil on the part of the police. The reasons for the mutually hostile environment are many and there's plenty of blame to go around, but the upshot is that in certain areas a cop killer is viewed more as Robin Hood than Public Enemy #1
Old 9th February 2013, 07:12 PM   #253
joesixpack
Illuminator

I think this rather begs the question of whether he actually exposed corruption or not. That his accusations are plausible does not make them true.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:22 PM   #254
Kahalachan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I think this rather begs the question of whether he actually exposed corruption or not. That his accusations are plausible does not make them true.
Here's my guess. He exposed it, he was seen as a cop that can't work with others, and people ganged up on him.

He filed a report. The other cop filed a report in opposition. There's a stalemate of evidence with them both being cops filing reports.

The ruling was in favor of the other cop, most likely cause other cops backed that story since they'd rather prefer a cop who has their back to one that might rat them out.

Abu Gharib didn't have someone file an official report. They just released pics.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:35 PM   #255
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Of course I feel that a lot of the problem with the LAPD is not corruption but sheer incompetence.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 07:40 PM   #256
BStrong
Philosopher

Ratting out a fellow cop would likely draw lots of ire. No one would want to be this guy's partner. He did it anyways. That made him a hero.

Whoever exposed the prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib was a hero too.

You can say he was a hero who snapped. And I think that's where the sympathy comes in cause if things went right we would've had an awesome cop still in the force.

He went from hero to mad-man. Almost like Two-Face from The Dark Knight.
Usually when an officer blows a whistle, and he's speaking truth, indictments and prosecutions follow:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...an-2629441.php

Batt testified, the DA prosecuted, failed twice, the city fired the officers involved, and Batt went to work for another agency.

When I hear about guys otj that get canned and blame their problems on everybody else, I get a little suspicious, especially when the race/sex card gets played.

The simple fact that this ******* decided to start murdering people tells me he's full of **** and is using the "moral man against the world" argument to justify his actions.

Last edited by BStrong; 9th February 2013 at 07:43 PM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 07:42 PM   #257
joesixpack
Illuminator

Here's my guess. ...
That's the problem. Much as I am inclined to believe you, I really can't make that jump. It's still just a guess.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:47 PM   #258
Kahalachan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
That's the problem. Much as I am inclined to believe you, I really can't make that jump. It's still just a guess.
Understandable. My intuition says he had a lot to lose by reporting her and more to gain from just being silent and going about his business. The harder action was to report her and he took it.

Now if he hated her or wanted to see her go down, lying would've been in his interest and the risk worth it.

I'd be curious to see what their working relationship was like. If it was shakey, I'll be more inclined to the "he was lying" guess.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:50 PM   #259
joesixpack
Illuminator

I'd be curious to see what their working relationship was like. If it was shakey, I'll be more inclined to the "he was lying" guess.
Someone upthread had suggested that he knew his training officer was going to give him a poor evaluation. I don't know what the source of that was.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:06 PM   #260
BStrong
Philosopher

Understandable. My intuition says he had a lot to lose by reporting her and more to gain from just being silent and going about his business. The harder action was to report her and he took it.

Now if he hated her or wanted to see her go down, lying would've been in his interest and the risk worth it.

You're assuming facts not in evidence, especially when the case against her failed.

Let me explain.

If you're a bad actor in uniform, the agency you work in, the county and/or city prosecuter's office, city hall and the media will be more than happy to nail your head to the wall if you're even close to being dirty - the popular fiction cover-up is so far wrong that it's about as viable as a alien abduction defense to coming home late to your wife.

I'm willing to bet, based on the FB posting, that this guy has been carrying around a mental stash of every wrong-doing he ever experienced, based his world view on same and wanted to become a LEO to compensate for the wrongs he could not solve growing up. When he discovered he wasn't running LAPD, he started reporting anything and everything from his seat on his moral high horse, and when that didn't pan out and he was canned, resentments festered, and the result has been the recent events.

I don't care how "right" somebody is, murder is an unacceptable response to disapointment.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:06 PM   #261
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
Is that “ring of truth” all the leftist Democrats and media personalities were are all supposed to admire?
Once again, you try to link "leftists", which are in fact everyone from Goldwater Republicans leftward, to this loony.

When somebody on the right goes nuts, it seems like the right goes out of its ways to excuse it.

The left, at least YOUR version of it, which includings moderates and most rightists, on the other hand, condemns murderers.

Your tu quoque is disgustingly dishonest and offensive to everyone who has moderately visible ethics.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:10 PM   #262
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by jj View Post
Once again, you try to link "leftists", which are in fact everyone from Goldwater Republicans leftward, to this loony.

When somebody on the right goes nuts, it seems like the right goes out of its ways to excuse it.

The left, at least YOUR version of it, which includings moderates and most rightists, on the other hand, condemns murderers.

Your tu quoque is disgustingly dishonest and offensive to everyone who has moderately visible ethics.
Please don't refer to MagZ as "the right" his views are so far that way that they scratch their own back!

(I tend to identify as a middle of the road guy very right on money, very left on social stuff. Just to show I'm not being too biased here.)
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:21 PM   #263
OnlyTellsTruths

I'm not sure if it has been posted yet but the LAPD is re-opening the investigation into Dornor's original allegations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/us...case.html?_r=0

Quote:
“Therefore, I feel we need to also publicly address Dorner’s allegations regarding his termination,” he said. “I do this not to appease a murderer. I do it to reassure the public that their Police Department is transparent and fair in all

Mr. Dorner, who joined the Police Department in 2005, was fired in 2008 for giving false statements, after he accused his training officer of kicking a suspect. He sued the department for wrongful termination, and lost at trial and again on appeal.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:24 PM   #264
StankApe
Banned

I don't get this hero stuff at all.

The world's greatest adopter of disabled children, who runs a farm for abandoned and abused animals, who also donates $5 million a year to Children's cancer wards could be out doing this same thing....annnnd it wouldn't matter he would still be a horrible psychopathic murderer.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:32 PM   #265
383LQ4SS
Thinker

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Doesn't seem that guns are helping the police that he's killed. Why would they help you ?
Why is it some anti-gun people rarely have the facts regarding events and scenarios?

Quote:
In Corona, Dorner fired at Los Angeles police officers who were assigned to protect someone connected to Dorner's threats, police said.
One officer was grazed in the head. The wound was not life-threatening, Los Angeles police said.
The officers returned fire, and Dorner fled, police said. "Due to damage to the police vehicle because of his gunshots, the officers were unable to pursue him," LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/07/us/lap...ine/index.html

In some instances the ability to return fire may be the best and only option. In this case it very likely saved these two officers lives.

I prefer to reserve that option.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 9th February 2013 at 08:34 PM.
383LQ4SS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:36 PM   #266
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Being a Ctist and being a leftist are by no means incompatible. A great many of the 9/11 Truthers lean pretty far to the left.
But,yeah, it is always the OTHER side that has all the crazies.Everybody on your side is a rational human being.......

This guy is a hero to lots of lefties:

http://www.freemumia.com/
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:40 PM   #267
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Usually when an officer blows a whistle, and he's speaking truth, indictments and prosecutions follow:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...an-2629441.php

Batt testified, the DA prosecuted, failed twice, the city fired the officers involved, and Batt went to work for another agency.
I don't believe it's accurate to generalize from that case.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:43 PM   #268
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS View Post
In some instances the ability to return fire may be the best and only option. In this case it very likely saved these two officers lives.
Amazing that the pro-gun people are so often without facts.

This would be the same man that tied up an old man to steal his boat but failed to make off with the boat. Face it, those two officers could have been armed with Nerf Bats and be able to drive him off.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:45 PM   #269
383LQ4SS
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Amazing that the pro-gun people are so often without facts.

This would be the same man that tied up an old man to steal his boat but failed to make off with the boat. Face it, those two officers could have been armed with Nerf Bats and be able to drive him off.

You have no idea if what you stated is true....none. Pure speculation. And as such I see no facts.

What is true is the police returned fire, he fled and they are alive. That is a fact.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 9th February 2013 at 08:47 PM.
383LQ4SS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 08:49 PM   #270
Vortigern99
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
This guy is a hero to lots of lefties:

http://www.freemumia.com/
I can't understand this in the least. I'm very liberal, socially and politically, in almost all areas except gun control in which I tend to lean right, but I cannot imagine how a man who murdered innocents out of revenge for losing his job* could be a "hero" to anyone -- left, right or centrist.

*assuming that the accusations are valid

ETA: Okay, wait wait wait wait wait. I assumed wrongly that the link was to a site that held Dorner as a hero. It's not. It's for Mumia Abu-Jamal, a different person, case and completely different set of circumstances. So please disregard and move on.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Vortigern99; 9th February 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2013, 09:10 PM   #271
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

You have no idea if what you stated is true....none. Pure speculation. And as such I see no facts.
Want to try that again?

Originally Posted by CBS
SAN DIEGO (CBSLA.com) — Before his alleged shooting rampage targeting police officers, Christopher Dorner was in San Diego, where he is suspected of tying up an 81-year-old man and trying to steal his boat.
It goes on to tell how the rope got stuck in the propeller. He had to ditch the boat, he took the man's phone with him.

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
What is true is the police returned fire, he fled and they are alive. That is a fact.
It's also a fact that he grazed them with a shot. A fact that you ignored, probably because if he wasn't so incompetent he'd have killed those cops before they could even respond and he'd have their weapons.

What good would those guns be then?

Last edited by Mudcat; 9th February 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 9th February 2013, 09:17 PM   #272
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I can't understand this in the least. I'm very liberal, socially and politically, in almost all areas except gun control in which I tend to lean right, but I cannot imagine how a man who murdered innocents out of revenge for losing his job* could be a "hero" to anyone -- left, right or centrist.

*assuming that the accusations are valid
Multiple witnesses saw him gun down a cop, but his supporters claim he is innocent. They are people who share his left-wing political views.

Look at the support Roman Polanski gets from the Hollywood crowd.

Michael Peterson and Jack Unterweger are two more examples...
Old 9th February 2013, 10:10 PM   #273
383LQ4SS
Thinker

Want to try that again?
Why yes...I would like to try that again. This time please constrain your reply to the relevant parts regarding these cops defending themselves with their weapons. You can leave out secondary descriptions about incompetent boat stories.

Face it, those two officers could have been armed with Nerf Bats and be able to drive him off.
The above is the relevant part I am responding to.

My reply should be more clear this time around. And I find your statement quite absurd as well as dangerous.

It's also a fact that he grazed them with a shot. A fact that you ignored, probably because if he wasn't so incompetent he'd have killed those cops and he'd have their weapons. What good would those guns be then?
I did not ignore the fact that one of the officers was grazed. That fact is secondary to the discussion. The suspect may well have killed them. I consider the officers very lucky. But the ability to return fire here was also likely to be a factor in their survival. Obviously the suspect intended to kill the officers. Do you really think the odds would have been better had the officers not had weapons or returned fire?

And his level of competency is largely unknown at this time. Although I do tend to agree its likely overstated.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 9th February 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 9th February 2013, 10:42 PM   #274
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

He talks about Jessica Beals and Natalie Portman in his manifesto?

Can anyone that's read it please give the context?

Because if he thought this would impress them history is not on his side.
Old 10th February 2013, 02:43 AM   #275
Caper
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post

Collateral damage? I can understand why he is considered a hero to some.... I don't agree with it... but I see it.

What a weird manifesto...... Was a big John Huntsman fan... Loved Barrack and GWB....... He cleary picked up on the promising second half of walking dead season 3.

I feel bad for the guy. I think it's a brain injury.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 03:18 AM   #276
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I don't get this hero stuff at all.

The world's greatest adopter of disabled children, who runs a farm for abandoned and abused animals, who also donates $5 million a year to Children's cancer wards could be out doing this same thing....annnnd it wouldn't matter he would still be a horrible psychopathic murderer.
The closest thing to that we've got is Jimmy Savile, who pretty much was a psychopath, so yeah.
Old 10th February 2013, 03:34 AM   #277
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
Multiple witnesses saw him gun down a cop, but his supporters claim he is innocent. They are people who share his left-wing political views.
Many people know that Adolph Hitler killed many Jews, but some supporters claim that no such thing happened. There are people who share this right-wing political view.

SO WHAT?

There is a fundamental difference between what the people here on JREF are accused of being "leftists" like it's a sin and a crime have to say, which is that the guy is in no way justified, and the way that the beating of Rodney King, the attempts to stop minorities from voting, etc are rabidly, completely defended by the people here on JREF who self-identify as the right.

The people accused of being "leftists" here have reviled this guy's action.
The people self-identified as "conservatives" have rabidly supported the disenfranchisement of minorities, racial profiling, etc.

The difference is obvious. One side has ethics, the other side has racism.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:04 AM   #278
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by jj View Post
Many people know that Adolph Hitler killed many Jews, but some supporters claim that no such thing happened. There are people who share this right-wing political view.

SO WHAT?

There is a fundamental difference between what the people here on JREF are accused of being "leftists" like it's a sin and a crime have to say, which is that the guy is in no way justified, and the way that the beating of Rodney King, the attempts to stop minorities from voting, etc are rabidly, completely defended by the people here on JREF who self-identify as the right.

The people accused of being "leftists" here have reviled this guy's action.
The people self-identified as "conservatives" have rabidly supported the disenfranchisement of minorities, racial profiling, etc.

The difference is obvious. One side has ethics, the other side has racism.
yer doing the exact same thing tho..... "my side is wonderful, your side are stinky toot heads"

that's simply not true. There's no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to politics,culture, social beliefs or crazed people with a grudge and a death wish.

IMO, the political ideals of this guy are about as important as the color of his underpants. It's not like he's some important Govt figure, or is attempting to change policies. he's just out to kill a bunch of people too prove he's "right".
Old 10th February 2013, 04:13 AM   #279
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster

It may be just me but gunning people down doesn't exactly fit the definition of the word "liberal".
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2013, 04:22 AM   #280
StankApe
Banned

plenty of left wing people have gunned people down, just as plenty of right wing people have.

Moderates? Hell they probably have too.

I'm saying that crazy isn't party specific.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events