JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » JREF
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags "An Honest Liar" , documentaries , james randi

Old 18th February 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
"An Honest Liar" - The Amazing Randi Story

"An Honest Liar profiles the life of famed magician turned professional skeptic James “The Amazing” Randi as he embarks on a series of public crusades to expose America’s beloved psychics, mentalists, preachers, and faith healers with religious fervor. Along the way, the film will show how easily our perceptions can be fooled – by magicians, con artists, and even documentaries."

http://www.anhonestliar.com/anhonestliar/Home.html

Kylie Sturgess (Token Skeptic) interviews the directors/producers of the movie here:
http://tokenskeptic.org/2012/02/18/e...-tyler-measom/
(Listening to it now.)

I gather the film is still being made, but from what I've heard, it sounds like it will be made well. I may even donate.

They're also looking for documentary/video evidence that may not be available in the public sphere.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Thanks ON. I wonder who will pick it up. I can't imagine a theatrical release, but hopefully it will get good coverage.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2012, 03:32 AM   #3
ieathedead
Student

I watched the trailer a few times today and it looks fantastic. I don't know too much about the filmmakers' other work so I'll have to investigate that tonight but so far to my untrained eye, it looks really good. The website looks really nice too.

From the website:
Quote:
An Honest Liar will likely be released sometime in 2013.
Now we play the waiting game...

i

p.s - I'm just a poor uni student and I'm also considering donating. This film looks like a ten kinds of awesome.

ETA: Clicking through the tabs up the top in order (home, the story, etc.), Randi looks like the stages I go through when I'm being told something from the woo side. It goes from an interested look, to a skeptical look, to an angry look, to being fed up and not even looking at the person, to putting his head in his hands in frustration.

Talk about useless observations Great photos though, they really make the website.

Last edited by ieathedead; 20th February 2012 at 03:42 AM.
ieathedead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I like your observations, ieathedead.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
AdMan
Philosopher

Also being discussed here (though this is probably a better subforum for it).
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Contribute, you cheap bastards!!!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Today, Randi himself faces the price of a deception that might result in the loss of his partner of 26 years.
Huh?

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 07:38 PM   #8
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Huh?
A bit off-topic, but if you really don't know:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=218996
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

I pledged to the Kickstarter campaign and started receiving the email updates, including one regarding the contest on IndieWire about which of the four contenders in the contest will get free consultation with the Tribeca Film Institute. Winning would also probably add free publicity.

What annoyed me about the IndieWire contest was their headline description of the film: "Project of the Day: Gay Magician The Amazing Randi Comes Out and Faces the System in 'An Honest Liar.'"

I am happy Randi felt comfortable coming out a few years ago, but think his sexual orientation is just one facet of his life. Plus, it came out so late in his life it is a very small part of his public persona. Randi is my hero because of his relentless crusade to protect people from a myriad of unscrupulous con-artists willing to prey on the innocent. He was my hero before I even considered his sexuality, and still is today, perhaps even more so.

Certainly, the inclusion in the documentary about the troubles Randi and Davyi (aka Jose) faced after Dayvi's arrest adds to the drama, and probably makes the documentary more commerically viable. And Randi's coming out might have been nudged by the news of the arrest and relationship. However, I just think that one sentence description is a cheap PR gimmick instead of what Randi's life is about. Given that I pledge based upon the content of the trailer, I also hope it is not an accurate synopsis of the film, which should focus on his legacy as a crusador against fraud.

Hopefully the IndieWire website is the one who came up with that tag line, not the film makers.
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 11:33 PM   #10
FluffyPersian
Critical Thinker

Randi's gay? That's the first I've heard of it.

Last edited by FluffyPersian; 30th January 2013 at 11:42 PM.
FluffyPersian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2013, 11:35 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any reason anybody should ******* care?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
StankApe
Banned

up to $151,717!!!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:58 AM   #13
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

They were filming at TAM 9, including at the volunteer lunch. I've therefore contributed in the hope of seeing myself on the big screen.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 02:06 AM   #14
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

And most importantly, since I already pledged a donation to help get it distributed and get my own copy of the movie, I want more people to chip in so I get the free bonus of the custom playing cards too

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ng-randi-story
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 07:41 AM   #15
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
A bit off-topic, but if you really don't know:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=218996
Oh, that! I'd totally forgotten about it. And the overloading of the terms "lose" and "partner" threw me.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 02:51 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
They were filming at TAM 9, including at the volunteer lunch. I've therefore contributed in the hope of seeing myself on the big screen.
Do you mean TAM 10? Because they were there, and I talked to them for about 20 minutes. Were they also at TAM 9?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 05:31 PM   #17
AdMan
Philosopher

"An Honest Liar" - The Amazing Randi Story

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Do you mean TAM 10? Because they were there, and I talked to them for about 20 minutes. Were they also at TAM 9?
Yup, they were at TAM 9 too.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
FluffyPersian
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is there any reason anybody should ******* care?
Not particularly. My point is that Biff's post is the first I've heard anything about Randi's sexual orientation.

Last edited by FluffyPersian; 7th February 2013 at 07:51 PM.
FluffyPersian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2013, 07:21 PM   #19
StankApe
Banned

up to $181,000!!!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2013, 01:29 AM   #20
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Yea! "An Honest Liar" won as the January project of the month!

http://www.indiewire.com/article/con...t-of-the-month

Since it looks like donations have slowed down and I might not get the free pack of cards, I will probably have to chip in another $25 donation to ensure I receive a set.

The Kickstarter project page is here for anyone who wants to not only get a copy of the film, but help support its production.
Old 8th February 2013, 01:38 AM   #21
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Not sure if I saw them at TAM 10; they definitely didn't film at the volunteer lunch that year. They did film it at TAM9.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2013, 05:54 AM   #22
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

WooHoo! Over $200k. I guess I added to that by bumping up my pledge
Old 15th February 2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Yea! The final tally looks to be:

3,096 backers
$246,989
Old 15th February 2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Minarvia
fading orb

I stumbled upon the project by accident and got in my pledge in the final few hours. And...woo hoo! I'm getting a signed book by Randi and some of the other cool stuff. I can't wait until the film is completed.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:51 PM   #25
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

The Kickstarter is now closed, with a fantastic final total of $246,989, but it's still possible to contribute and get some of the rewards at the project site.
Old 30th May 2013, 09:03 PM   #26
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The Kickstarter is now closed, with a fantastic final total of $246,989, but it's still possible to contribute and get some of the rewards at the project site.

Most excellent, indeed.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » JREF