JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 16th February 2013, 05:51 PM   #281
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Gang of Four - "Entertainment"
Ahem:

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Crocodiles - Echo And The Bunnymen. Excellent first album from 1980 IIRC which still sounds fresh.

Stoneage Romeos - Hoodoo Gurus. Not sure how forgotten it is, but definitely a classic.

Entertainment - Gang Of Four. Got a bit of a re-mix a few years ago, but the original is still pretty good, if you like sparse spikey political punk pop.
Great minds and all that...

Invert the prominent diaphragm!!!

I have eaten breakfast and have not written an Epistle to any Church. - dejudge.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 06:17 PM   #282
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Frank's first. "Trouble Every Day" from that album is one his best.
A prophetic song.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 06:27 PM   #283
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by nota View Post
blows against the empire - jefferson starship but not the later band
the first record was JA+GD+CSN+bunch of other bay area rockers in 1970

btw modern use heavy metal was in ''born to be wild'' by stepinwolf
''heavy metal thunder''

I vote blue cheer > iron butterfly > led zep for the roots of metal
and I was 17 in 67 were you ?
Oh yeah this is real metal:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 16th February 2013, 07:58 PM   #284
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Jeez, why are metalheads such rigid doctrinairians?

Every type of popular music has its roots in something else. You know that old bit about standing on the shoulders of giants. There were harbingers of metal before Sainted Sabbath (hallowed be they name) came along. Some of it was okay - like Deep Purple. Some of it was crap. When I first saw Zep, I didn't coin the term, but it did strike me that a few bands were heading into super-amped, ramped up guitar, small band big sound music.

There were precursors to punk. There were precursors to Rock & Roll. In Jazz, we get into all sorts of arguments as to the first moves to Swing or Bop or Cool. Who was the first prog band? And get two 70s music rockers and two jazz heads together and talk about fusion... try to figure out who started that. Everyone knows that Chess records was the catalyst behind R&B... well, until you realize that the Chess Brothers found those guys somewhere and they were playing music. And then you'd have to also explain how Ray Charles "independently" developed R&B on his own (which he didn't). It's nigh onto impossible to peg the exact moment that one sub-genre or another of popular music started. They morph and at a certain point, it's realized that some of that new stuff that X and Y and Z have been noodling with is taking on a life and structure of its own.

Oh, and back on topic.....

The Gun Club's first album - Fire and Love. Their later stuff didn't set me back on my heels, but Fire and Love was rather brilliant, I think.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 08:09 PM   #285
ArchieGoodwin
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

<snip>
Oh we're not, really, but it's a discussion we've all had before with friends hundreds of times I'll bet. So we're having fun with it IMO for old time's sake - I know I am anyways.

When I was growing up, the big argument on my street was could a band be "metal" if they had a keyboard player. The street voted "no", so Deep Purple and the like were kicked right out of the club... so said the 15 year old experts.
ArchieGoodwin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 08:59 PM   #286
Dental Floss Tycoon
New Blood

Mr bungle "disco volante" and the greatest album of all time per Matt Groening, Captain Beefheart "trout mask replica"
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2013, 09:29 PM   #287
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Ahem:

Great minds and all that...
I love that loose guitar playing held together by tight bass and drums.

Is 1999 to recent to be a classic?
Rowland S Howard - "Teenage Snuff Film"
Old 17th February 2013, 02:36 AM   #288
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by hud View Post
Oh we're not, really, but it's a discussion we've all had before with friends hundreds of times I'll bet. So we're having fun with it IMO for old time's sake - I know I am anyways.

When I was growing up, the big argument on my street was could a band be "metal" if they had a keyboard player. The street voted "no", so Deep Purple and the like were kicked right out of the club... so said the 15 year old experts.
To which Deep Purple would not have worried one jot, since they've always said they're not Metal. I tend to agree with them myself.
Old 17th February 2013, 05:30 AM   #289
Foolmewunz

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
To which Deep Purple would not have worried one jot, since they've always said they're not Metal. I tend to agree with them myself.
Deep Purple probably didn't hear the question because they're all deaf from being the first band to go to eleven, man! They thought they were being asked if they were "mental".

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:55 AM   #290
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Deep Purple probably didn't hear the question because they're all deaf from being the first band to go to eleven, man! They thought they were being asked if they were "mental".
Quite possible. They certainly don't play much soft acoustic stuff.

Here's a classic you probably never heard, since it was originally a B-Side to one of the Machine Head singles.

Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Ritchie hated it, but the rest of the band must have had a different view, since they've played it live regularly since Steve Morse joined.
Old 17th February 2013, 06:04 AM   #291
ArchieGoodwin
Muse

Oh I agree with that too. But there was always one or two kids around arguing for them, Rainbow, Iron Butterfly, Queen or Rush. I don't think you'd call any of those bands metal either, but it is a fun discussion. Especially if your sitting around listening to records anyways.

We didn't have video games or the internet yet
ArchieGoodwin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 06:07 AM   #292
ArchieGoodwin
Muse

True. Didn't they coin the phrase "Everything louder than everything else?"
Old 17th February 2013, 07:40 AM   #293
Foolmewunz

Here's a classic you probably never heard, since it was originally a B-Side to one of the Machine Head singles.

Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries
I AGREE

Ritchie hated it, but the rest of the band must have had a different view, since they've played it live regularly since Steve Morse joined.
I'd put that in the "Rightfully Forgotten" category. I was familiar with the original - or more accurately "had heard the original" and I prefer it as a tight little piece - albeit a little soft-edged for them. Ritchie's guitar work on the original is also far better, even though he has less time to show off, as he doesn't do the extended intro or long solo break.

Old 17th February 2013, 11:47 AM   #294
dafydd
Banned

Every type of popular music has its roots in something else. .
The Monks made a lot of noise in the early Sixties.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 11:54 AM   #295
dafydd
Banned

Have you ever heard their album ''The Book Of Taliesyn'' or the album previous to that ''Deep Purple''. On ''The Book Of Taliesyn'' They even did a quiet Donovan cover. I used to like the quieter Deep Purple and then they made the racket that was ''Deep Purple in Rock''.

Last edited by dafydd; 17th February 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:08 PM   #296
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Have you ever heard their album ''The Book Of Taliesyn'' or the album previous to that ''Deep Purple''. On ''The Book Of Taliesyn'' They even did a quiet Donovan cover. I used to like the quieter Deep Purple and then they made the racket that was ''Deep Purple in Rock''.
Yes I have that record and the other early ones
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 04:19 PM   #297
BangBang
Thinker

Morris On - Ashley Hutchins, Richard Thompson, Barry Dransfield, John Kirkpatrick and Dave Mattacks. I had an old beaten copy of this on 33, I'd love to hear it again properly.
BangBang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:39 PM   #298
Foolmewunz

Well, I don't want to start another "Were too / Were not" string, but.....

... but I take it everyone realizes that their venture into hard rock was actually a bit of a career change, to put it mildly. And here comes the argument line: They were one of the earlier prog bands. Lord was really the driving force behind the band in the first few years and a lot of their stuff was pretentious as hell. But he was classically trained and loved doing his Moody Blues thing (recording with orchestras) and it was the only thing that was getting them any media attention at the time, so they went that-a-way. I didn't like early prog. I'd rather listen to Vladimir Horowitz or Thelonius Monk on keyboards than Keith Emerson.... any day of the week. So I was off of Deep Purple and until someone told me that The Riff That Shook The World (Smoke on the Water for the win) was them, I hadn't gone back and listened to their stuff in several years.

BTW, that's why, if I argued about that kind of stuff, I'd agree that they weren't the earliest Heavy Metal. That album was their divergence into the hard sound and even if you call it Metal, it's really right there parallel in development to Sabbath, calendar-wise. And as per Damien's YouTube addition up there, they were still doing a lot of non-metal.

Old 18th February 2013, 01:28 AM   #299
dafydd
Banned

Well, I don't want to start another "Were too / Were not" string, but.....

... but I take it everyone realizes that their venture into hard rock was actually a bit of a career change, to put it mildly. And here comes the argument line: They were one of the earlier prog bands. Lord was really the driving force behind the band in the first few years and a lot of their stuff was pretentious as hell. But he was classically trained and loved doing his Moody Blues thing (recording with orchestras) and it was the only thing that was getting them any media attention at the time, so they went that-a-way. I didn't like early prog. I'd rather listen to Vladimir Horowitz or Thelonius Monk on keyboards than Keith Emerson.... any day of the week. So I was off of Deep Purple and until someone told me that The Riff That Shook The World (Smoke on the Water for the win) was them, I hadn't gone back and listened to their stuff in several years.

BTW, that's why, if I argued about that kind of stuff, I'd agree that they weren't the earliest Heavy Metal. That album was their divergence into the hard sound and even if you call it Metal, it's really right there parallel in development to Sabbath, calendar-wise. And as per Damien's YouTube addition up there, they were still doing a lot of non-metal.
I think that the point is that the term Heavy Metal was applied after the fact. None of the bands said 'Hey, let's make the first Heavy Metal album''.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:48 AM   #300
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by hud View Post
Oh I agree with that too. But there was always one or two kids around arguing for them, Rainbow, Iron Butterfly, Queen or Rush. I don't think you'd call any of those bands metal either, but it is a fun discussion. Especially if your sitting around listening to records anyways.

We didn't have video games or the internet yet
Rainbow I would, but only for the albums Dio sang on, Iron Butterfly no, Queen no, and Rush kinda sorta for a couple of albums in the 70's. 2112 is probably the first ever Progressive Metal song.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:50 AM   #301
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Yes, but since Mk. 2 they've been consistently on the heavier end of Rock.

I love their cover of Help from their first album, Shades Of Deep Purple. That's an album that deserves more love.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:59 AM   #302
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I think that the point is that the term Heavy Metal was applied after the fact. None of the bands said 'Hey, let's make the first Heavy Metal album''.
No, but Black Sabbath did set out to make what for lack of a better term I'll call Horror Music. They named themselves after a Boris Karloff film, you don't do that if you're going to make upbeat pop.
Old 18th February 2013, 05:55 AM   #303
dafydd
Banned

No, but Black Sabbath did set out to make what for lack of a better term I'll call Horror Music. They named themselves after a Boris Karloff film, you don't do that if you're going to make upbeat pop.
To tell the truth my mates and I used to wet ourselves laughing at the first Sabbath album,it was so ineptly played and about as scary as a Mickey Mouse cartoon. For a while I was convinced that it was the Bonzos playing a joke,
Old 18th February 2013, 08:26 AM   #304
Ape of Good Hope
Muse

Speaking of things metallic, how about "Borrowed Time" by Diamond Head?

One of the better albums to come out of the NWOBHM, and a big influence on early US thrash metal, particularly Metallica.

I played it to death throughout Summer '82, shambling along cluelessly to "Am I Evil?" on my cheapo Hondo
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 09:03 AM   #305
jakesteele
Graduate Poster

Kiln House - Fleetwood Mac (original members, before there was Stevie Nicks)

Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds

Safe as milk - Captain Beefheart
Old 18th February 2013, 11:03 AM   #306
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Kiln House - Fleetwood Mac (original members, before there was Stevie Nicks)

Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds

pedant mode on: Kiln House is not Fleetwood Mac's original lineup, the lineup on their first album, Fleetwood Mac (now usually known as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac to avoid confusion with their other self titled album) was Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Jeremy Spencer. This lineup stayed together for 3 albums, including adding Danny Kirwan after their second album. Kiln House is their 4th album, and came after a massive lineup change, with founder Peter Green leaving, and Christine McVie contributing backing vocals before becoming an official member soon after.

Which leads me to my nomination: Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:07 AM   #307
dafydd
Banned

Pedant mode on. Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band. Off. Great album, Safe As Milk. I tend to agree with Matt Groening about Trout Mask Replica.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:14 AM   #308
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Pedant mode on. Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band. Off. Great album, Safe As Milk. I tend to agree with Matt Groening about Trout Mask Replica.
I don't get Trout Mask Replica. I think it's one of the worst albums I've ever heard, and I have no desire to ever hear any of their other stuff as a result.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:33 AM   #309
dafydd
Banned

I don't get Trout Mask Replica. I think it's one of the worst albums I've ever heard, and I have no desire to ever hear any of their other stuff as a result.
I respect your opinion. Musical tastes differ. I find Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and all of the Metal Merchants unlistenable.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:45 AM   #310
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Whatever happened to Gong and radio Gnome Invisible? or was it the teapot that was invisible?
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:06 AM   #311
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
Whatever happened to Gong and radio Gnome Invisible? or was it the teapot that was invisible?
That was never made clear.
Old 20th February 2013, 06:32 AM   #312
jond
Graduate Poster

Have some fruitcake. All will be made clear.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 10:45 AM   #313
Matthew Best
Illuminator

I think it was settled by the Grammy Awards committee that the best heavy metal band was Jethro Tull.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 10:59 AM   #314
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I think it was settled by the Grammy Awards committee that the best heavy metal band was Jethro Tull.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:12 AM   #315
GlennB
Cereal pedant

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Ooooh ...

Clear Spot by Captain Beefheart would get my vote.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 05:37 AM   #316
Tony99
Critical Thinker

The Monks made a lot of noise in the early Sixties.
Hear, hear.

The Monks - Black Monk Time

Will also add:
Scott Walker - Scott 3
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 07:04 AM   #317
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tristan Chi View Post
Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live

Never forget West Germany when it comes to prog galore.
Fantastic album - probably the best, over-indulgent, extended guitar solo ever!
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 07:07 AM   #318
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Anderson also believes that he and his wife met for the first time 4000 years ago in Atlantis and he also claims that after a Yes gig some ''children who were not children'' came to his hotel room and took him on an tour of the universe. I'm not making this up, In have the copy of Mojo with the interview lying around somewhere.
I always liked Rick Wakeman's description of him as 'the only bloke I know who's busy trying to save the planet...whilst living on a completely different one'.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 07:23 AM   #319
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
In the Region of the Summer Stars by The Enid. I need to download that now that I've though of it!
Is there some connection between critical thinking and liking prog rock?

People keep mentioning some of my favourite bands that, outside of this site, anyone I mention them to has never heard of!

In the Region of the Summer Stars is a work of absolute genius and one of my all time faves. I have it on CD and CD-R converted from vinyl as the CD recording is a completely new work - they had to completely re-record all their early stuff for CD release following their dispute with (I think) Sony, which left The Enid owning the rights to the music (as in composition) but not the actual recording.

Still slightly prefer the original vinyl version but both are great.

For those who haven't heard of The Enid, the main composer / keyboard player (and occasional singer - but only for encores of 'Wild Thing'... and that's a bizarre sight / sound to behold!) Robert J Godfrey was the musical arranger for Barclay James Harvest in their early years but quit in a dispute that he wasn't getting due credit.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:46 AM   #320
dafydd
Banned

RIP Kevin Ayers.

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts