JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 17th February 2013, 10:35 AM   #121
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Arpaio's doing what he said he would do and only one kid has been shot so far by one of his deputies.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/17/sher...des_guadalupe/

Now the question is, how many school shootings has he prevented?
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 11:01 AM   #122
Nazz
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
see my post on the other thread that explains why school shooting are the high priority issue it is. It solidly refutes your notion that school shooting aren't a big threat.
For everyone who doesn't want to waste their time figuring out which thread is "the other thread" :
Originally Posted by monty1
You're not understanding that school shooting involve the death of children and so for that reason you are minimizing the importance. That's wrong! The whole issue is being belaboured now just 'because' it was children and it should be. It's your highest priority 'because' it was children.

Are you americans getting this?

The gungoons shooting each other and shooting innocent bystanders and shooting home owners, etc., etc., etc., is no big deal and can't be fixed anyway withoug banning all handguns off the streets and limiting them to shooting ranges with a permit to get it there and back. But that's not the issue. And can't be fixed anyway because your 2nd. amendment trumps it.

School shootings are the issue and they aren't a minimal issue as so many Americans are trying to say. All they are doing is screeching about their 'secund mundmun rits' in reality and putting that over the value of their children's lives.

Now are you americans getting it?
I can' help but notice that you didn't actually "soundly refute" their point as much as you just asserted that it was wrong.


Quote:
(such a repugnanat and careless comment from one claiming a degree!)
Where, exactly, does Travis claim that he has a degree? What does that have to do with anything?
Nazz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 11:10 AM   #123
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by Nazz View Post
For everyone who doesn't want to waste their time figuring out which thread is "the other thread" :


I can' help but notice that you didn't actually "soundly refute" their point as much as you just asserted that it was wrong.
I did refute their point but I can go even a bit further. Our children are our future and how we care for them is an indication of our worth in society. The shooting of 20 children has brought the gun issue to the forefront for a very good reason. No doubt that the very large majority in your country now think something has to be done about your gun problem. If it was 20 black people who were shot by other blacks or whites on the street then it would have been glossed over and forgotten long ago. That's why it's of critical importance to decent people and why I say that if it's not important to some people then they are more concerned with their crazy 2nd. amendment or crazed with pure negativism when they express their priorities. Hate? Bigotry? What if not support for that crazy amendment?



[q1uote] Where, exactly, does Travis claim that he has a degree? What does that have to do with anything?[/quote]

Travi's supposed degree has nothing to do with the topic and we should just leave that alone.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 11:58 AM   #124
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 22,919
Arpaio and Seagal....typical gun owner mentality.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 12:01 PM   #125
Nazz
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by monty1
Our children are our future and how we care for them is an indication of our worth in society.
I agree that protecting those who can't reasonably be expected to defend themselves is a moral good, but I fail to see why this should be limited to children. Why should unarmed adults who have no more ability to protect themselves from gun violence than a child deserve less care or consideration?

Originally Posted by monty1
If it was 20 black people who were shot by other blacks or whites on the street then it would have been glossed over and forgotten long ago.
But it isn't just 20 adults who have been shot balanced against 20 children who are victims of school shootings, as you pointed out in your thread on
US gun deaths the number is in the thousands. If the number of adult victims with no reasonable means to defend themselves is larger than the number of child victims by several orders of magnitude, should that not be our first priority?
Nazz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 12:09 PM   #126
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by Nazz View Post
I agree that protecting those who can't reasonably be expected to defend themselves is a moral good, but I fail to see why this should be limited to children. Why should unarmed adults who have no more ability to protect themselves from gun violence than a child deserve less care or consideration?


But it isn't just 20 adults who have been shot balanced against 20 children who are victims of school shootings, as you pointed out in your thread on
US gun deaths the number is in the thousands. If the number of adult victims with no reasonable means to defend themselves is larger than the number of child victims by several orders of magnitude, should that not be our first priority?
I'm with the roughly 320 million americans that feel that the priority is the 20 children. That has become the issue and that issue is school shootings. That's fact!

It's not what should be the issue, it's what is the issue and the 99% can't be wrong. If the people say that's the issue then you are wasting your time arguing about it.

But let's move on now. What should be the issue, if that's where you want to go, is the second amendment insanity. The reason it is that is because the handgun problem can't be dealt with until that is changed. Or can it? Answer that please.

So the number of handguns are statistically what the issue is. It's specifically why Canada and other sane nations don't have your problem. And so we go around in another circle, around and around in ever decreasing circles until we all disappear up our own .............. you get the picture.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 12:20 PM   #127
Nazz
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
I'm with the roughly 320 million americans that feel that the priority is the 20 children. That has become the issue and that issue is school shootings. That's fact!

It's not what should be the issue, it's what is the issue and the 99% can't be wrong. If the people say that's the issue then you are wasting your time arguing about it.

But let's move on now. What should be the issue, if that's where you want to go, is the second amendment insanity. The reason it is that is because the handgun problem can't be dealt with until that is changed. Or can it? Answer that please.

So the number of handguns are statistically what the issue is. It's specifically why Canada and other sane nations don't have your problem. And so we go around in another circle, around and around in ever decreasing circles until we all disappear up our own .............. you get the picture.
I didn't mean to start the same discussion of that thread in a second thread, just to provide context to your reference of it. We should probably keep it in the original thread to avoid having the same argument in two threads.
Nazz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:40 PM   #128
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The South!
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
(see my post on the other thread that explains why school shooting are the high priority issue it is. It solidly refutes your notion that school shooting aren't a big threat.) (such a repugnanat and careless comment from one claiming a degree!)

Well, considering there are, in the US about 250,000 schools (including colleges, but not private colleges) school shootings ARE rare.

BTW, the hilited is irrelevant, and possibly against the MA.

Last edited by triforcharity; 17th February 2013 at 05:46 PM.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #129
triforcharity
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The South!
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Arpaio and Seagal....typical gun owner mentality.
Hahahahahaha......

Prove it!

You can't, and won't.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #130
Minoosh
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post

Travi's supposed degree has nothing to do with the topic and we should just leave that alone.
But ... aren't you the one who brought it up?

Uh, on the other hand ... never mind.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 10:07 PM   #131
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 20,072
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
BTW, the hilited is irrelevant, and possibly against the MA.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But ... aren't you the one who brought it up?

Uh, on the other hand ... never mind.
I honestly don't know what he is talking about. I've never brought up a degree in any of my discussions.

I think he might be confusing me with someone else. I'm pretty sure I know who but I won't name them as I find this all rather amusing.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 01:04 AM   #132
Eddie Dane
Illuminator
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,882
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have convicted school shooters guard the schools from paedophiles, instead of the other way around?

Just thinking out of the box here.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 01:18 AM   #133
Eddie Dane
Illuminator
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,882
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Way back when Seagal first hit the scene, his "people" released the information that he had trained in Aikido directly under founder Morihei Ueshiba.
The Aikido foundation issued a terse reply..."No he didn't."
I think that back in eighties, you could get away with this kind of PR.

Movie magazines will just repeat the press release, serious papers don't do in-depth articles about action stars. The only ones interested in this would be martial arts press, and that is a very small niche.

Now, you put out a press release like that, the first comment under the article will link to bullshido.com debunking all the BS.

Seagal (or his management) apparently put out a lot BS information back then. And teenagers ate it up.

-He was an enforcer for the mob
He did jobs and favours for the CIA
-He was on the Shah's bodyguard team
-He trained under Uesheba (sp)
-He's an expert in antique swords, doing taxations at auctions and museums.
-He's Italian (Jewish-Irish actually)

But keep in mind: He was very highly paid actor in the eighties.

He had the enormous luck that the public believed he was some kind of badass, and he lucked into his first film (Above the Law) being a pretty good gritty action thriller.
He starred opposite Tommy Lee Jones in a big-budget acktion flick.

So that stream of lies paid off big, for a while.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 09:35 AM   #134
Ladewig
Hipster alien
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: not measurable
Posts: 18,936
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
He did jobs and favours for the CIA
As whoppers go, this one is always a winner. If you are asked for details, you can claim that it is too classified to reveal. Plus the CIA is forbidden from answering questions about who has and hasn't worked for the Agency.
__________________
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 10:39 AM   #135
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North of Reality
Posts: 45,041
Was he ever a Navy SEAL? I remember that going around a lot, but I haven't heard it recently.
__________________
As Einstein once said, "If you can't think of something relevant to say, just make something up and attribute it to some really smart dead guy."
"I find your lack of pith disturbing," - Darth Rotor
..........
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 02:36 PM   #136
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I honestly don't know what he is talking about. I've never brought up a degree in any of my discussions.

I think he might be confusing me with someone else. I'm pretty sure I know who but I won't name them as I find this all rather amusing.
It was you Travis and I'll remain convinced it was you until you name the person you think it was. I'm finding it amusing too!

Of course, if proven wrong then you would deserve an apology for mistaken identity.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 03:04 PM   #137
Ladewig
Hipster alien
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: not measurable
Posts: 18,936
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Was he ever a Navy SEAL? I remember that going around a lot, but I haven't heard it recently.
Are you confusing Seagal with Jesse Ventura? While he was never actually in the SEALS, Ventura underwent SEAL training and served in the Underwater Demolition Teams (which later was folded into the SEALS). Sticklers say the distinction is very important.
__________________
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 12:00 AM   #138
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North of Reality
Posts: 45,041
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Are you confusing Seagal with Jesse Ventura? While he was never actually in the SEALS, Ventura underwent SEAL training and served in the Underwater Demolition Teams (which later was folded into the SEALS). Sticklers say the distinction is very important.
No, I've never paid any attention to Ventura. At least one former associate of Seagal's has claimed he used to say he'd been a SEAL, though. So I guess that was another one of his delusions for a while.
__________________
As Einstein once said, "If you can't think of something relevant to say, just make something up and attribute it to some really smart dead guy."
"I find your lack of pith disturbing," - Darth Rotor
..........
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 01:11 AM   #139
Eddie Dane
Illuminator
 
Eddie Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,882
Didn't this sheriff allow Seagal to drive some kind of armed personnel carrier though the wall of a house, during a raid?

You know the police "protecting and serving" when they have some b-actor drive into your living room for a reality soap.

Are Sheriffs still elected in some way? If so the citizens are getting the police they deserve.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2013, 08:39 AM   #140
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Third in line
Posts: 17,206
Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Now, you put out a press release like that, the first comment under the article will link to bullshido.com debunking all the BS.
If you can find it.

I just browsed to bullshido.com for the first time in several years. It's funny; I seem to remember that it was once some sort of site whose primary purpose was to be skeptical of martial arts claims of awesome superpowered magical chi and so forth. But I can't tell now; it appears to have metamorphed into some typical martial arts fan site whose primary function seems to be movie reviews (of non-martial-arts movies), laughing at pictures of fat people, venerating Bruce Lee, and providing a place where blowhards can ineffectually challenge each other to fights and make fun of people who practice other flavors than them. Maybe I was just imagining the previous format of bullshido.com, or maybe I was looking at a different bullshido website, or maybe it was bought by somebody - I don't know; but I wouldn't link anybody to anything on that incoherent disaster of a website right now.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:44 AM   #141
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,102
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And even if it were the answer, letting Joe Arpaio decide who is qualified to carry a gun into a school is sure as hell not the answer.
That's for damn sure!
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:47 AM   #142
Multivac
Master Poster
 
Multivac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,102
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
You're right, it's crazy and an indication that society has failed. But it's probably the only short term solution for the problem. It's being implemented in many schools in the US already and had been even before this latest big slaughter.

The gun control measures being talked about currently are all going to fall short of fixing the problem, supposing that the gungoon lobby and the right wing would ever let any of them pass into law.

The solution lies in changing the American mindset but nobody wants to even suggest that. It's too politically dangerous to go there perhaps?
I agree with the hilited, but have no idea how to achieve this.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 07:11 AM   #143
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 11,282
Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
I agree with the hilited, but have no idea how to achieve this.
The obvious answer is to constantly berate and vilify Americans and especially those who disagree with you and create conspiracies giving the US far more power and importance than even Eaglelander True PatriotsTM give it.

Obviously wrong that is.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 08:11 AM   #144
Nessie
Philosopher
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: At the bottom of a dark Scottish loch.
Posts: 7,925
Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Well, considering there are, in the US about 250,000 schools (including colleges, but not private colleges) school shootings ARE rare.

BTW, the hilited is irrelevant, and possibly against the MA.
I disagree, this list runs to hundreds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

So far in 2013 there have been eight with five dead and ten injured.

It is way bigger than the lists from elsewhere in the world, Europe has recorded 20 in total, which the USA manages every couple of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

What you pass off as rare would be horrifying anywhere else.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Last edited by Nessie; 20th February 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 10:36 AM   #145
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I disagree, this list runs to hundreds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

So far in 2013 there have been eight with five dead and ten injured.

It is way bigger than the lists from elsewhere in the world, Europe has recorded 20 in total, which the USA manages every couple of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

What you pass off as rare would be horrifying anywhere else.
They just don't think it's worth doing anything about Nessie. Changing the American mindset of violence is what is needed but that doesn't seem possible at this time. Forcing them to be responsible gun owners by forcing them to carry liability insurane would be a great start.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 12:02 PM   #146
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shifting through paradigms
Posts: 42,956
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
Arpaio's doing what he said he would do and only one kid has been shot so far by one of his deputies.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/17/sher...des_guadalupe/

Now the question is, how many school shootings has he prevented?
Sadly, disgustingly proves my point.
Quote:
In September, one of Arpaio’s deputies joined Tempe police in responding to an attempted burglary call – and shot and killed a teenage suspect. A deputy said he felt threatened and saw a knife; eyewitnesses in the neighborhood say he was putting his hands in the air to surrender when he was shot, and wonder why the deputy didn’t simply use a Taser.
Like I said, makes those school kids so much less safe it's only a matter of time.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 12:15 PM   #147
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North of Reality
Posts: 45,041
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
They just don't think it's worth doing anything about Nessie. Changing the American mindset of violence is what is needed but that doesn't seem possible at this time. Forcing them to be responsible gun owners by forcing them to carry liability insurane would be a great start.
Of course that's exactly right. Why on Earth would we bother protecting our young from guns, when we're just gonna eat them once they're nicely fattened up anyway?
__________________
As Einstein once said, "If you can't think of something relevant to say, just make something up and attribute it to some really smart dead guy."
"I find your lack of pith disturbing," - Darth Rotor
..........
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 02:23 PM   #148
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 20,072
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
It was you Travis and I'll remain convinced it was you until you name the person you think it was. I'm finding it amusing too!

Of course, if proven wrong then you would deserve an apology for mistaken identity.
Not big on innocent until proven guilty are you.

And why should I help you? I find it all rather amusing.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 02:39 PM   #149
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Not big on innocent until proven guilty are you.

And why should I help you? I find it all rather amusing.
I have a perception that it was you. Simple at that and it doesn't need to be any more complicated. If you feel you want to proclaim your innocence then just do it. It's no more than would be expected from you by the police. And then, if you had inferred it wasn't you because you knew who it was then they would be asking you to name the guilty party.

Get on with it Travis, the onus is on you and I couldn't care less. The rubber meets the road Travis and it does with the racism question too!
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 03:24 PM   #150
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing
 
JoeTheJuggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 27,765
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
Arpaio's doing what he said he would do and only one kid has been shot so far by one of his deputies.

Is this the necessary thing about Arpaio's plan?
__________________
"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way." —Ponder Stibbons
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 03:33 PM   #151
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Is this the necessary thing about Arpaio's plan?
Arpaio is an evil freak Joe but in general I have to say that his kind of plan is the solution in the short term. The primary objective is to stop the slaughter of children.

So I only speak in favour of it in general terms.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #152
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 20,072
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
I have a perception that it was you. Simple at that and it doesn't need to be any more complicated. If you feel you want to proclaim your innocence then just do it. It's no more than would be expected from you by the police. And then, if you had inferred it wasn't you because you knew who it was then they would be asking you to name the guilty party.

Get on with it Travis, the onus is on you and I couldn't care less. The rubber meets the road Travis and it does with the racism question too!
What racism question?

And are you saying you want evidence of posts I didn't make? How does that work?
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:33 PM   #153
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 11,282
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What racism question?

And are you saying you want evidence of posts I didn't make? How does that work?
You Americans all look alike.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 06:51 PM   #154
Ladewig
Hipster alien
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: not measurable
Posts: 18,936
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What racism question?

And are you saying you want evidence of posts I didn't make? How does that work?
If I may bring the subject back to the OP.

Joe Arpaio has no idea what he is talking about. From what I've seen of Joe Arpaio, he is unable to even correctly describe how the law works. The other problem with Joe Arpaio is that he cannot be convinced that he is wrong.

Of course, I might be completely wrong about Joe Arpaio. Perhaps Joe Arpaio is not a opinionated, closed-minded fool. If anyone has any evidence that Joe Arpaio is not that incompetent, I am willing to examine it.
__________________
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th February 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2013, 10:05 PM   #155
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tuolumne City, CA
Posts: 20,072
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
You Americans all look alike.
Technically he's mistaking me for someone that uses David Mitchell as his avatar.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 10:21 AM   #156
monty1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
You Americans all look alike.
No they don't. Travis looks like he's of Russian descent. I'm assuming that's him in the avatar. Good looking lad! I just wish he would apply himself and come out with something longer than his oneliners.
monty1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 10:30 AM   #157
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Technically he's mistaking me for someone that uses David Mitchell as his avatar.
Google didn't help me there.

monty1, these weird tangents aren't helping your argument. Just FYI.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 10:39 AM   #158
Polaris
Philosopher
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,823
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Google didn't help me there.

monty1, these weird tangents aren't helping your argument. Just FYI.
I'm confused, I thought the weird tangents were his arguments.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Roy Moore of Alabama. The world would absolutely benefit by him being run over by any vehicle." - Lowpro
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 01:06 PM   #159
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Middle of nowhere, UK.
Posts: 7,806
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Technically he's mistaking me for someone that uses David Mitchell as his avatar.
I believe that's my cue to point out once again that I'm not even American, that I agree with Monty on a handful of issues, and that I find the High Priest of Poe to be alternately sad and amusing.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2013, 01:07 PM   #160
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Middle of nowhere, UK.
Posts: 7,806
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'm confused, I thought the weird tangents were his arguments.
They are until you point out how fatuous they are. Then he berates you for going off topic and threatens to report you.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.