JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Closed Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 06:40 AM   #5321
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Westchester County, NY (when not in space)
Posts: 14,655
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
but to do so, they need to be programmed to do so.....who wrote the instruction program in the cell ?
I would like to remind you that:

Those who DO NOT think that DNA is a language or a code are the ones learning MORE about where it came from!

Those who insist that DNA is a language or a code are NOT gaining any new, nitty-gritty details about how it came about.

There is tremendous value in thinking of DNA as a replicating molecule, that had increased in complexity over time, through natural procecces.... regardless of belief about it or about God!

That is why this line of argument of yours is failing to impress us, here.
__________________
WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:41 AM   #5322
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
no, not a campfire anecdotes, but a fact that occured in my presence.
...or so you assert. Might you be so kind as to explain why your unsupported assertion of an anecdote about a parlour trick is the reason you believe naturalism to be the best explanation for our existence? Just to stay on topic, and all...
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:43 AM   #5323
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
The duck tap danced and sang the Lord's praises in my presence. Fact. A goose nearby was possessed by the Devil at the same moment and took issue with the duck. Fact.
Heretic! The duck was obviously performing soft shoe, not tap...
__________________
"Anything that can be accepted into science gets accepted into science." -HighRiser
"And in science the default is that you're wrong. EVERYONE is wrong. You only can be not wrong if you have evidence to back up your claim." -Dinwar
"That is not my circus; those are not my monkeys." -Howard Tayler
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:46 AM   #5324
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
Existence cannot be addressed outside the study of ontology. Any other study is regarding phenomena already existing, not the origin of their existence.

I am aware of it, it doesn't provide a theory for our existence. Only an explanation of how our bodies developed on this planet. Similarly any other explanation of how things develop in nature does not explain existence.
Why does existence need a explanation?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:49 AM   #5325
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 33,449
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
its hard to believe that " rational " atheists write and insist in such unscientific nonsense.

http://elshamah.heavenforum.org/t287...-for-a-creator
Dr. Francis Collins, director of the Human Genome Project (that mapped the human DNA structure) said that one can "think of DNA as an instructional script, a software program, sitting in the nucleus of the cell."

Perry Marshall, an information specialist, comments on the implications of this.
"There has never existed a computer program that wasn't designed...[whether it is] a code, or a program, or a message given through a language, there is always an intelligent mind behind it."



DNA is not a computer code, can you take a computer program and throw it into a batch of chemicals and will it self organize into a computer?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:56 AM   #5326
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 33,449
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
http://www.uncommondescent.com/faq/#nobdesn




http://creation.com/refuting-evoluti...from-evolution

http://dennisdjones.wordpress.com/20...design-theory/




thats a bad comparison. The DNA is a script like a computercode, or a written book.




but its not codified, specified, complex information, as contained in a book, or dna.
I have never seen a book self replicate.

Last edited by tsig; 27th February 2013 at 06:58 AM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 07:00 AM   #5327
IanS
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,613
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
http://elshamah.heavenforum.org/t288-the-genetic-code






http://elshamah.heavenforum.org/t288-the-genetic-code





but to do so, they need to be programmed to do so.....who wrote the instruction program in the cell ?


There is no " instruction program in the cell ".

And you can't magically produce any such "instruction program" by quoting the religious beliefs of barking mad creationists who preach on the internet.

The reason you are objecting so strongly to me correcting you on your misuse of the word "information" is because your entire argument of ID rests on you trying to claim that “living” cells, which are simply bundles of chemical molecules, somehow hear the voice of invisible supernatural gods.

As I said above, you and other religious fanatics may hear voices, but simple organic chemicals do not hear voices.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 07:13 AM   #5328
punshhh
Illuminator
 
punshhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rural England
Posts: 4,818
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
You exist as an organic body, yes or no?
Yes, but that does not say anything about existence other than, that organic bodies and the materials they are made of appear to exist.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 07:22 AM   #5329
punshhh
Illuminator
 
punshhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rural England
Posts: 4,818
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
Depends on whether you want to conflate the word with "purpose".
I wouldn't bring that word up here. The condition of existence is a big enough unknown to be going on with.

Quote:
I can tell you a lot about existence from an empirical perspective
Perhaps, but that may not stretch far beyond our local circumstance and we don't know if it is or is not a construct.
Quote:
Edited by Locknar:  Moderated content removed.
Perhaps, I have not read the thread. Why is a whole other can of worms.

Last edited by Locknar; 27th February 2013 at 08:31 AM.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:10 AM   #5330
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 24,987
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
according to your world view, you cannot say, either its moral, or not.
No, according to your world view, you cannot say. With our subjective morals, we can easily say that something is moral or not according to our subjective morals. Do you really not understand that?

According to your world view, you can only say something is moral if it is specifically addressed in your morally bankrupt bronze age novel.

So, is killing your neighbor for picking up sticks on the Sabbath moral, YES or NO?

Quote:
What is the moral difference between killing your neighbour, and killing his cat ?
We value human life due to our subjetive morals. If you were to read the Christian bible, you would see how disgusting its lack of regard for human life is. You should try reading it sometime.

Quote:
according to your world view, none.
No, as you now see, it is according to your Bible, killing homosexuals is a moral act. According to our subjective morals, we see it as a heinous act.

According to your "source of universal morals", is it moral to murder your daughter for having sex outside of marriage? YES or NO?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:12 AM   #5331
Lowpro
Philosopher
 
Lowpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,024
Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
Existence cannot be addressed outside the study of ontology. Any other study is regarding phenomena already existing, not the origin of their existence.

I am aware of it, it doesn't provide a theory for our existence. Only an explanation of how our bodies developed on this planet. Similarly any other explanation of how things develop in nature does not explain existence.
In what way does a theory that explain how we develop in nature miss out on explaining our existence, or are you trying to conflate the "how we exist" with the "why we exist" question.
__________________
"If I actually believed that Jesus was coming to end the world in 2050, I'd be preparing by stocking up on timber and nails" - PZ Myers
Lowpro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:50 AM   #5332
TjW
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: up in the air
Posts: 11,110
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Because they cherry pick the parts of the New Testament written by authors who said the old law was nullified (ignoring the question of why their god would issue such horrifyingly evil edicts in the first place) and disregard the parts written by authors who claimed that the old law was still very much in effect.
But this is still really odd. If the argument is:

Objective morals are provided by God.
Objective morals exist.
Therefore, God.

You need to have a set of morals that are objective. Objective morals, by definition, wouldn't change with time.
Gibhor is claiming that morals have changed.
By his own argument, he's disproved the existence of God.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:11 AM   #5333
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
according to your world view, you cannot say, either its moral, or not.
Yes, we can. We can say this because homosexuals are human beings who are contributing members of society. We can say this because we use logic to recognize that homosexuality between responsible, consenting adults causes no harm to anyone and is simply part of the pursuit of happiness and well-being that makes for a healthy society. The Bible, on the other hand, was written by people who did not use logic to formulate and justify a morality for the purpose of maintaining a healthy, productive society, but rather declared their mindless bigotry to be the unimpeachable law of the universe, thus refusing to justify or take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:
What is the moral difference between killing your neighbour, and killing his cat ?
The difference is that we place a much higher value on the life of other human beings than on cats. Not that killing a neighbor's cat is not a disgusting action deserving of civil punishment, but killing another human being is an action that causes harm to the human community. It matters because we want to live in a society in which we can prosper and grow.

Quote:
according to your world view, none.
Are passive/aggressive smilies the best you can offer to defend your position?

The universe may be indifferent to our survival or extinction, but it matters to us because we want to survive. We want to know that, even though we as individuals will die, the human species will continue on after us. We survive as a social species. Together, we can achieve things that are impossible alone. We can prosper greatly when we work for each other.

The great joke of this thread is that you declare your god to be the ultimate source of objectively correct morality, then when we point out the positively evil edicts attributed to said god, you say, "You don't have to obey those evil laws any more". Your "objective" morality has changed.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:17 AM   #5334
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by TjW View Post
But this is still really odd. If the argument is:

Objective morals are provided by God.
Objective morals exist.
Therefore, God.

You need to have a set of morals that are objective. Objective morals, by definition, wouldn't change with time.
Gibhor is claiming that morals have changed.
By his own argument, he's disproved the existence of God.
Yep. The horrors of the Tanakh are an embarrassment to those who claim a gentle and loving god. Not that the central message of Christianity, "Love me or I will destroy you", is all that loving. At least some early Gnostic Christian groups, like the Marcionites, recognized this incompatibility and rejected the cruel god of Abraham.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:18 AM   #5335
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
are you trying to conflate the "how we exist" with the "why we exist" question.
Yep.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:23 AM   #5336
Lowpro
Philosopher
 
Lowpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,024
Objective morals in a "living document" of the Old and New Testament is a hilarious explanation and every time I hear it I crack up. It's Christian chauvinism at its finest.
__________________
"If I actually believed that Jesus was coming to end the world in 2050, I'd be preparing by stocking up on timber and nails" - PZ Myers
Lowpro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:27 AM   #5337
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
i know you have it easy to point out what you think you can use as justification to be against the bible. If i would be you, i would rather make a serious and unbiased bible study, then you will understand these issues in a other light.
There are no excuses for the Bible's command to kill young women for making their own sexual choices. There are no excuses for its directive to kill friends and family who suggest adopting other religious beliefs. There is no forgiving the Bible for declaring that slaves are property.

Quote:
You would be more convincing, if you would point out , what positive evidence you have for your case of strong atheism. Thats not so easy, isnt it ?
Joobz has not made a case for strong atheism.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:30 AM   #5338
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
there is a dictate in german :

gleich mit gleich gesellt sich gern
Do you mean "Gleich und Gleich gesellt sich gern"?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:36 AM   #5339
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
If you can tell me ONE example of christian parents, that do this based on the teachings in the bible, i will answer your question.
That's the point. Don't you get it? Christian parents don't do what the god of the Bible declared to be just, because they employ their subjective moral judgement.

If YHWH's morality is objective, then why did he once command people to kill their daughters for having sex with their boyfriends?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:38 AM   #5340
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Gelijk and gelijk gezelt zich graag. What Gihbor is getting at is a mystery.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:16 AM   #5341
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,014
I've been following this thread and jumping in to comment, when I felt I had a point. But, I have to look at facts.

Gibhor, does not actually want to learn anything.

As far as I can tell, the phenomena known as Martyr Syndrome is at work here. For Gibhor, he feel he is fighting the "Good Fight", and fending off all us "pagens".

For him, it is a deep need for his self-esteem. Without this arguement, his faith is not validated.

But, I know how life works. We do influence each other, and even if it doesn't happen now, maybe one day, Gibhor's eyes will open to the plain truth.

We are responsible, for ourselves.
There is no reward for your life. (Other than the life, itself.)
There is no god.

Last edited by deaman; 27th February 2013 at 10:17 AM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 11:34 AM   #5342
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 35,929
Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
Yes, but that does not say anything about existence other than, that organic bodies and the materials they are made of appear to exist.
And yet that is existence... as it is.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:17 PM   #5343
GIBHOR
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
Gibhor, does not actually want to learn anything.
How about you ?


Quote:
For him, it is a deep need for his self-esteem. Without this arguement, his faith is not validated.
How about yours ? Or do you have something else than faith to present ?
GIBHOR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:19 PM   #5344
GIBHOR
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That's the point. Don't you get it? Christian parents don't do what the god of the Bible declared to be just,
Of course not. you have no clue what you are talking about. We do not follow certain commandments, because they were for a specific situation, for a specific folk, at a specific time. We let ourselfs guide by the teachings of Jesus.......
GIBHOR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:21 PM   #5345
GIBHOR
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Do you mean "Gleich und Gleich gesellt sich gern"?
yeah
GIBHOR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:26 PM   #5346
Lowpro
Philosopher
 
Lowpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,024
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
How about you ?




How about yours ? Or do you have something else than faith to present ?
Is DNA a chemical? No seriously we'll do this stepwise if you want. Is. DNA. A. Chemical. Are its nucleotides a chemical?
__________________
"If I actually believed that Jesus was coming to end the world in 2050, I'd be preparing by stocking up on timber and nails" - PZ Myers
Lowpro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 12:49 PM   #5347
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 24,987
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
We do not follow certain commandments, because they were for a specific situation, for a specific folk, at a specific time.
So, not objective then. Thanks for admitting it.

Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
you have no clue what you are talking about.
LOL.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:01 PM   #5348
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,049
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
Of course not. you have no clue what you are talking about. We do not follow certain commandments, because they were for a specific situation, for a specific folk, at a specific time. We let ourselfs guide by the teachings of Jesus.......
That is an amazingly stupid argument. What you've just described is subjective morality. You pick and choose what you want to follow from the Bible's edicts.

Byt the way, could you explain what it was about the specific situation, folk and time that made it morally just to own slaves, kill a woman for having sex, or kill friends or family who suggested that you join another religion? I'd really like to know, seeing as you have such an enormous, raging clue for the Bible.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:52 PM   #5349
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,014
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
How about you ?

I am willing to learn. When I say my ears are open, I actually mean it. What experiment do you suggest in order to prove god's existence?


How about yours ? Or do you have something else than faith to present ?
I do not understand what you mean. Please explain.

Remember Gibhor, I have nothing to gain or lose by being shown to be wrong, except knowledge and experience. I am perfectly willing to be proved wrong. I am a human being, and humans are sometimes right, and sometimes wrong.

It would be silly, for me, to pretend to be 100% right, 100% of the time.

So, how will you prove god?
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 04:13 PM   #5350
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
yeah
Yes.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 04:16 PM   #5351
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
So, how will you prove god?
We don't even know which god, or why all the other gods except Gihbor's god do not exist.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 04:55 PM   #5352
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: That's how you get ants
Posts: 18,001
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
We do not follow certain commandments, because they were for a specific situation, for a specific folk, at a specific time.
Welcome to moral relativism.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 05:52 PM   #5353
GIBHOR
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
So, how will you prove god?
How will you prove me strong atheism to be true ?

your question is nonsense.
GIBHOR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 05:56 PM   #5354
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: That's how you get ants
Posts: 18,001
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
How will you prove me strong atheism to be true ?

your question is nonsense.
both questions are dumb.
we have no evidence for god, and therefore have no way to presume one exists or doesn't exist.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 05:58 PM   #5355
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,014
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
How will you prove me strong atheism to be true ?

your question is nonsense.
I am a strong athiest (I guess). The details of my life are probably very close to yours. What would you consider viable proof for strong athiesm?

I don't believe in god or gods.

I mean, you don't believe in many gods either, correct? Do you believe in Zues or Apollo? Do you believe in the Baptist god, or the Mormon god?

Last edited by deaman; 27th February 2013 at 07:18 PM.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 06:01 PM   #5356
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 24,987
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
How will you prove me strong atheism to be true ?

your question is nonsense.
Why are you unable to prove your god? Is it imaginary?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:28 PM   #5357
Giordano
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,338
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
Is DNA a chemical? No seriously we'll do this stepwise if you want. Is. DNA. A. Chemical. Are its nucleotides a chemical?
I've tried step by step on how evolution can add new "information" to the genome. Couldn't get GIBHOR to even begin to engage in the discussion. Good luck!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:37 PM   #5358
Giordano
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,338
Originally Posted by GIBHOR View Post
explain it then. i am all ears.
You posted exactly the same statement before. When I provided the evidence, you had requested, you not only ignored my response, but you also explicitly stated that you were under no obligation to read what I had provided.

Of course the forum involves reading not hearing; perhaps you are trying to say that you are all ears, but no eyes? I thought that clever wording of lies to beguile people was the work of satan in your religion, not god.

Last edited by Giordano; 27th February 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 08:54 PM   #5359
BadBoy
Muse
 
BadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by deaman View Post
I am a strong athiest (I guess). The details of my life are probably very close to yours. What would you consider viable proof for strong athiesm?

I don't believe in god or gods.

I mean, you don't believe in many gods either, correct? Do you believe in Zues or Apollo? Do you believe in the Baptist god, or the Mormon god?
yes, but prove that you dont believe in a God or Gods, that the thing. Just saying that you dont, doesnt mean its true.
__________________
Go sell crazy someplace else we're all stocked up here
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 09:02 PM   #5360
deaman
Philosopher
 
deaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,014
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
yes, but prove that you dont believe in a God or Gods, that the thing. Just saying that you dont, doesnt mean its true.
Lol!!!
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.