JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » JREF Topics » The Amaz!ng Meeting! and other Skeptical Events
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags burning man

Old 5th September 2013, 05:16 AM   #81
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

In keeping with the sub-forum this is in (Skeptical Events), I should also mention some of the sciencey/skeptical things that took place:

There was, in fact, a TEDx conference within Burning Man. A few of the talks were "fluff", that is: They didn't say much but tried to get people excited. But, a few were interesting or productive in some manner: Including new solutions for the impoverished in Mexico and the history and future of a certain word that begins with F. Much of it was well attended.

There was also an Unconference, a SkeptiCamp/BarCamp-like event on the schedule, though its turnout was very poor. I decided not to do my own SkeptiCamp Black Rock event.

The problems with the Unconference were twofold: They didn't put enough marketing into exactly what it was. I had to explain it better to everyone I could, myself. I probably got more people (less than half a dozen) in there, than the real organizers did.
Also, they had the 5-minute Spark talks going on for much of the same time, so more people watched those instead.

All of those, so far, took place at what is called the "PlayaSkool", often stylized as "Play)A(Skool".

In addition, a few other camps offered some science discussions and lectures. For example, a camp called "Phage Symposiums" offered a few talks on biology and biotech.

And, then there were the little places and events, such as MathCamp (a safe place for mathematicians), or the Athiest/Agnostics Party at a difference camp (which included live music performances from Shelley Segal), etc.

So, even though MOST of Burning Man is certainly NOT about science or skepticism. And, in fact, a lot of it is steeped in woo (The "spirituality" of The Temple, the explanations given behind the various forms of massage offered); there is probably ENOUGH to call good chunks of it a "Skeptical Event", anyway.

Thus, I feel justified in keeping this thread in this sub-forum. Thank you.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!

Last edited by Wowbagger; 5th September 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2013, 01:29 PM   #82
Phlebas
Muse

Popped in to make sure Wowbagger had come back from Burning Man. Had to know if he was home safe or his bones were slowly bleaching in the sun because his carcass couldn't be bartered for a hemp t-shirt
Phlebas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2013, 08:43 AM   #83
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

It's a gift economy. Not so much a barter economy.

The bleaching bones of my carcass no one wanted. The hemp shirts were gifted anyway.

That's what makes Burning Man special.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2013, 08:55 AM   #84
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Phlebas View Post
Popped in to make sure Wowbagger had come back from Burning Man. Had to know if he was home safe or his bones were slowly bleaching in the sun because his carcass couldn't be bartered for a hemp t-shirt
I wonder if he even went? We have no evidence.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2013, 09:51 AM   #85
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I wonder if he even went? We have no evidence.
Attached is a photo of me on my bike, with the "Safety Third!" sign attached to the top of the helmet. (as described in one of my previous posts.)

I do have tons of other photos and videos I will eventually share, once I sort through and censor them.

Other forms of evidence includes: Souvenirs I have taken home (pendants, bolts and nails from The Man's ashes, my ticket, etc.), testimony from witnesses (including a few from skeptical groups), and receipts from things bought going to and from the place.

In addition, I am willing to be interrogated. I can convey anything you want to know about this year's Burning Man as I witnessed and remembered it. Then you can see if my information corroborates with others'.

I think that should add up to a reasonably significant pile of evidence, yes?

ETA: Attachment has now been added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100176-BM2013Bike.jpg (101.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Wowbagger; 9th September 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:04 AM   #86
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Attached is a photo of me on my bike, with the "Safety Third!" sign attached to the top of the helmet. (as described in one of my previous posts.)
Anything can be Photoshopped.

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
In addition, I am willing to be interrogated.
Would you consent to being strip searched by Phlebas?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2013, 11:00 AM   #87
Cyrix686
Critical Thinker

Good stuff! I found this supplementary thread on burning man 2013 and the sights which I'll add to this party...never been myself but it looks intensivo!

Here there are lots of lovely great pictures of one guy's experience and of crazy people having fun, just being arty and matey and generally I think looking out for one another for free at this festie. Or ar least somewhat inexpensively it seems - once all necessary kit or er equipment has been found.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...os-2013-9?op=1
Cyrix686 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » JREF Topics » The Amaz!ng Meeting! and other Skeptical Events