JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 28th January 2013, 10:03 PM   #121
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by rocketdodger View Post
Is it possible that all these arguments against stricter controls are just shortsighted?

Seems to me that the same sorts of arguments could have been made against the automatic weapon ban back in the first half of the century. Fast forward 70 years, look what happened.
There were never many automatic weapons in civilians hands to begin with, compared to tens of millions of semi-autos today.

Bonnie and Clyde, btw, stole their automatic weapons from a National Guard armory.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 10:13 PM   #122
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
You know the answer to that question.
I know how I would answer that question. I do not, however, know how Tricky would answer that question. And so I do not actually know what he meant when he used the term.

Quote:
But what difference does it make now with millions of them out there in the hands of stupid people who fantasize about war and killing people.
That is not true by the definition of "military-style weapon" that I would choose. You have obviously chosen a different definition. What is your definition? I find it rather telling that you won't actually provide a definition either, despite the enthusiasm with which you use the term.

Quote:
And some of you Americans think North Korea is insane!!!!!
And... rational thought just died a little with that sentence.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 10:14 PM   #123
R.Mackey
Philosopher

(ETA: Responding to Wildcat, not the enthusiastic newcomer nor to Ziggurat) Yep. The decline of "gangster guns" had everything to do with the end of Prohibition and declining corruption in law enforcement, and what problem there was had largely subsided before the NFA even passed.

The NFA adding a $200 tax on certain weaponry wasn't going to make much difference to big-time gangsters anyway, even if they did purchase them legally.

VT VENIANT OMNES

Last edited by R.Mackey; 28th January 2013 at 10:16 PM.
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2013, 06:57 AM   #124
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
<snip>

Armed guards around your schools seems to be the only answer and that's exactly what the gooned out NRA is suggesting.

So what do you call a people who 'need' to protect their children in their schools?

And some of you Americans think North Korea is insane!!!!!
I think you're grossly over-exaggerating. "Armed guards" doesn't mean men dressed in SWAT gear patrolling perimeters. It could simply be uniformed or plain-clothed officers discretely wandering the halls and monitoring security screens.

We had them at my high school when I attended in the late-80's. This was before "school-shootings" even entered our lexicon. They were present to keep kids from skipping class and keeping fights to a minimum (it was a public city school, after all). One school system in the suburbs employees security and dresses them the same as the janitorial staff.

Point is...there is a way to make it work with very little visual impact on students.

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics