IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags math puzzles , probability , probability puzzles

Old 21st May 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Need help with math homework- calculator needed

There are a group of people that know a secret. The probability that any one person leaks the secret is 0.03.

a) If there are 2 people in the group, what is probability that someone leaks the secret? What if there are 5 people in the group?

b) How many people in the group do you need to guarantee that someone leaks the secret with 90% probability? (Rounded to decimal places.)

Thank you for saving my neck.

Also- A multiple choice exam has ten questions. Each question has five possible answers. If a student randomly guesses, what is the probability that she gets 70 percent?

I got 7.86432 multiplied by 10 to the power of - 4. Just want to make sure that's right.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

1) Figure this out as 1 - the probability that nobody does.

In general, 0.97^n = probability of nobody spilling the beans. So for 2 people:
0.97 x 0.97 = 0.9409

1 - 0.9409 = 0.0591

Solve for n = 5 then make n the variable in the second question. Round up to the next whole person when you get an answer.

2) Since this is for a specific outcome, we're figuring out the probability of getting 7 correct and 3 incorrect (0.2 ^ 7 x 0.8 ^ 3) and then multiplying that by the number of ways we could get 7 correct and 3 incorrect (10!/(7!3!) So yes, you're right.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Quote:
b) How many people in the group do you need to guarantee that someone leaks the secret with 90% probability? (Rounded to decimal places.)
That is .97^x = 0.1 (this is the probability that the secret is safe).
x is between 75 and 76.

In other words if there were 76 people in the group there is > 90% chance (actually 90.1223916%) that someone would leak. With 75 people there is slightly less than 90% (89.8168986%).
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:08 AM   #4
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

2 people can keep a secret.

3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:20 AM   #5
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
That is .97^x = 0.1 (this is the probability that the secret is safe).
x is between 75 and 76.
That's surprisingly high (I'm not disputing the value though). .03 is about 1 in 33 so, naively one might expect an answer in the 30's. That the number needed is more than twice that is a surprise -- 90% confidence is a high hurdle.

33 people give a 63% confidence that it's been leaked -- ooh, I recognize where that's come from -- another surprise
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:45 AM   #6
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
That's surprisingly high (I'm not disputing the value though). .03 is about 1 in 33 so, naively one might expect an answer in the 30's. That the number needed is more than twice that is a surprise -- 90% confidence is a high hurdle.

33 people give a 63% confidence that it's been leaked -- ooh, I recognize where that's come from -- another surprise
Yeah, I actually got exactly 30 people when I sat down and looked at the problem again.

30 times 0.03 = exactly .90.

Are you sure your calculations are correct, rjh01?

I crossed out my answer and wrote down yours...and I have to give this in by the morning of the 22nd, so you had better be right!

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com

Last edited by EeneyMinnieMoe; 22nd May 2009 at 12:51 AM.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:12 AM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just had another look and am sure that I am right. What everyone is overlooking is that given 75 people it is probable that 2.25 people will give away the secret. This is only an average and there is only a 10% chance that this will be out by over 2.25 people.

If you want to confirm my answer get your scientific calculator out and put the calculation below in it. You can cut and paste into the window's version. This will give you the probability that 75 people can keep a secret given that any one person has a .97 chance of keeping it. Do this by multiplying .97 by itself 75 times or shortcut -

.97 x^y 75 =
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:49 AM   #8
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post

rjh01 is correct. What you are overlooking in doing 30 * 0.03 is that there are many ways in which the secret could be leaked, but only one way in which it could be kept.

To make things easier, let's just consider 2 people.

For the secret to be kept, both of them must keep the secret. the probablility of that happening is .97 * .97. Let's call this Pkept.

the secret can be given away in the following 3 ways:

*) A keeps the secret and B gives it away: probability .97 * .03
*) B keeps the secret and A gives it away: probability .97 * .03
*) both A and B give the secret away: probability .03 * .03

Let's call the sum of these 3, Pgiven.

As you might guess, this gets increasingly more complicated as more people are added -- with 3 people, 2 could give it away, or 1 could or they all could.

But, there's a short cut. We know that the probability of the secret being kept + probability of it being given away is 1. So Pkept + Pgiven = 1. It's easy to calculate Pkept, so we can use that to figure out Pgiven rather than do the complicated summation.

ETA: I'm changing the bit below in light of bjornart's comment below:

Your simpler 30 *.03 is counting the third way of giving the secret away (both A & B giving it away) twice -- once in A's contribution of being a blabber-mouth, and once in B's contribution.

Last edited by nathan; 22nd May 2009 at 04:01 AM.
nathan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:56 AM   #9
bjornart
Master Poster

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
Yeah, I actually got exactly 30 people when I sat down and looked at the problem again.

I crossed out my answer and wrote down yours...and I have to give this in by the morning of the 22nd, so you had better be right!
What you're doing is adding together the probability of each person spilling the secret. If you double the number of people and observe that 60 people have a 180% chance of spilling the secret you see that this approach is obviously wrong.

The only time you add probabilities together is when each represents a different outcome, like Nathan does to get his Pgiven.
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:46 AM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bjornart View Post
What you're doing is adding together the probability of each person spilling the secret. If you double the number of people and observe that 60 people have a 180% chance of spilling the secret you see that this approach is obviously wrong.
But you have an expected value of the secret being reveled 1.8 times by that group.

So with that group the most common outcome would be that the secret was revealed by two people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:07 AM   #11
krelnik
Graduate Poster

RJH01's calculation is correct.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:14 AM   #12
boooeee
Dart Fener

Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
1) Figure this out as 1 - the probability that nobody does.

Keep this in mind whenever tackling a probability problem. It's a great trick that you can use over and over again.
boooeee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:35 AM   #13
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Yeah, I got 5.9%, 14%, and 75.something people for the answers, 76 as the correct answer. I just didn't want to give the guy all of the answers to his homework.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:25 PM   #14
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Of the two people, how many are girls?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:45 AM   #15
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Of the two people, how many are girls?
The probability of the gossip being spread is .03, you figure it out.
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:32 AM   #16
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
rjh01 is correct. What you are overlooking in doing 30 * 0.03 is that there are many ways in which the secret could be leaked, but only one way in which it could be kept.

To make things easier, let's just consider 2 people.

For the secret to be kept, both of them must keep the secret. the probablility of that happening is .97 * .97. Let's call this Pkept.

the secret can be given away in the following 3 ways:

*) A keeps the secret and B gives it away: probability .97 * .03
*) B keeps the secret and A gives it away: probability .97 * .03
*) both A and B give the secret away: probability .03 * .03

Let's call the sum of these 3, Pgiven.

As you might guess, this gets increasingly more complicated as more people are added -- with 3 people, 2 could give it away, or 1 could or they all could.

But, there's a short cut. We know that the probability of the secret being kept + probability of it being given away is 1. So Pkept + Pgiven = 1. It's easy to calculate Pkept, so we can use that to figure out Pgiven rather than do the complicated summation.

ETA: I'm changing the bit below in light of bjornart's comment below:

Your simpler 30 *.03 is counting the third way of giving the secret away (both A & B giving it away) twice -- once in A's contribution of being a blabber-mouth, and once in B's contribution.

Thanks for that. There's a bit of ambiguity in the OP where it says "someone". If this is read to mean exactly one person gives away the secret, how would this affect your analysis?
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:23 AM   #17
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Thanks for that. There's a bit of ambiguity in the OP where it says "someone". If this is read to mean exactly one person gives away the secret, how would this affect your analysis?
In the two person case, that can happen in exactly 2 ways -- A stays silent and B blabs (probability .97 * .03) or, vice versa (same probability). Thus the probability of either A or B, but not both, blabbing is 2 * .97 * .03.

For N people, the probability of exactly one person blabbing is that of N-1 people keeping quiet and one blabbing, which is:
 .97^{N-1} * .03
and there are exactly N ways this can happen, giving
N * .97^{N-1} * .03

Notice that that doesn't increase without bound. There will be an N that maximizes the probability of exactly one person blabbing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology