IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags probability

Old 30th October 2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Asolepius
Graduate Poster

Randi's homeopathic lottery

I realise that the lottery banner which the site's home page carries bears a disclaimer, but for the first time I actually read it today. It said that I am a winner, and that I am the 12,860,116,513th visitor to see that banner. So there have been nearly 13 billion winners. Leaving aside how many people live in the world, this means that the winnings must be diluted beyond Avogadro's number . A stroke of genius to include such a witty joke on the site.

Blog - Majikthyse
Asolepius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

When I saw the thread title I was imagining a hat filled with blank raffle tickets, one of which had once been in a hat with a real raffle ticket, and the subsequent argument about whose ticket had been drawn...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
When I saw the thread title I was imagining a hat filled with blank raffle tickets, one of which had once been in a hat with a real raffle ticket, and the subsequent argument about whose ticket had been drawn...
This is genius. I must organize this immediately.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Given that this "banner" is a paid advertisement with no connection to this site, Randi's support for it must surely exist in purely homeopathic quantities.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology