IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags probability , quantum mechanics

Old 19th April 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
GreedyAlgorithm
Muse

A question on quantum mechanics

A photon is coming in where the arrow is. The red lines are half-silvered mirrors, and the green lines with ticks on their ends are full mirrors. The blue circles are detectors. Here's what I'm getting as the probability of detectors 1, 2, or 3 going off given that a detector goes off:
D1=1/6, D2=1/6, D3=4/6
This is since all of the amplitude that you'd think was coming from the path where the photon goes down first, bounces around, and hits 1 or 2 is in fact canceled out.

Is this right? If not, can someone explain what the answer should be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qm.jpg (5.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 20th April 2008, 12:33 AM   #2
69dodge
Illuminator

I agree with your explanation, but not with your numbers.

For detectors 1, 2, and 3, I get probabilities of 1/4, 1/4, and 1/2.

The photon is equally likely to go through the first mirror or to be reflected from it. If it goes through, it will certainly end up at detector 3. If it is reflected, it will end up at 1 or 2 with equal probability.

So to speak.

I think.
69dodge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 01:38 AM   #3
vidiviciveni
Thinker

I get a different result

For detectors 1, 2, and 3, I get probabilities of 3/8, 3/8, and 1/4.
vidiviciveni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 02:12 AM   #4
69dodge
Illuminator

Originally Posted by vidiviciveni View Post
I get a different result

For detectors 1, 2, and 3, I get probabilities of 3/8, 3/8, and 1/4.
Did you consider the possibility of interference?
69dodge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 09:20 AM   #5
sol invictus
Philosopher

The question is ill-posed. The answer depends on both the thickness of the mirrors (in units of the wavelength of the light) and their orientation.

Where did you get this from?
sol invictus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
69dodge
Illuminator

I assumed for each mirror that the reflected wave is delayed in phase by pi/2 radians relative to the transmitted wave and that both have equal intensity, regardless of which side of the mirror the incoming wave hits.

Apparently this is reasonable? (See the end of section IV.A.)
Old 20th April 2008, 08:37 PM   #7
sol invictus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 69dodge View Post
I assumed for each mirror that the reflected wave is delayed in phase by pi/2 radians relative to the transmitted wave and that both have equal intensity, regardless of which side of the mirror the incoming wave hits.
That depends on the type of beam splitter and on the wavelength of the light. Half-silvered mirrors (one type of beam splitter) aren't symmetrical like that.
sol invictus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 10:02 PM   #8
GreedyAlgorithm
Muse

Originally Posted by sol invictus View Post
The question is ill-posed. The answer depends on both the thickness of the mirrors (in units of the wavelength of the light) and their orientation.

Where did you get this from?
I'm trying to expand on this series of blog posts. I've ordered Feynman's QED but it hasn't arrived yet.

That's what I was assuming.

That depends on the type of beam splitter and on the wavelength of the light. Half-silvered mirrors (one type of beam splitter) aren't symmetrical like that.
Suppose instead I said it was the symmetrical type. In fact, if such a thing exists, suppose it's a device where the two dominant flows are: 1) the phase is not changed nor the angle; 2) the phase is delayed pi/2 and the flow is reflected.
Old 21st April 2008, 07:10 AM   #9
sol invictus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GreedyAlgorithm View Post
Suppose instead I said it was the symmetrical type. In fact, if such a thing exists, suppose it's a device where the two dominant flows are: 1) the phase is not changed nor the angle; 2) the phase is delayed pi/2 and the flow is reflected.
OK - in that case, I get:

1/3,1/3,1/3
Old 21st April 2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Dilb
Muse

The photon is equally likely to go through the first mirror or to be reflected from it. If it goes through, it will certainly end up at detector 3. If it is reflected, it will end up at 1 or 2 with equal probability.

So to speak.

I think.
I agree with these numbers.
Dilb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by GreedyAlgorithm View Post
A photon is coming in where the arrow is. The red lines are half-silvered mirrors, and the green lines with ticks on their ends are full mirrors. The blue circles are detectors. Here's what I'm getting as the probability of detectors 1, 2, or 3 going off given that a detector goes off:
D1=1/6, D2=1/6, D3=4/6
This is since all of the amplitude that you'd think was coming from the path where the photon goes down first, bounces around, and hits 1 or 2 is in fact canceled out.

Is this right? If not, can someone explain what the answer should be?

I get:
Code:
#      %       x/y
1     37.5     3/8
2     37.5     3/8
3     25       1/4
The discrete breakdown is this:

Code:
1/2 up at mirror A
	1/4 up at mirror D, to 1
	1/4 down at mirror D, to 2
1/2 down
	1/4 up at mirror B
		1/8 up at mirror C
			1/16 up at mirror D, to 1
			1/16 down at mirror D, to 2
		1/8 down at mirror C, to 3
	1/4 down at mirror B
		1/8 up at mirror C

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 21st April 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 11:03 AM   #12
sol invictus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post

I get:
Code:
#      %       x/y
1     37.5     3/8
2     37.5     3/8
3     25       1/4
The discrete breakdown is this:

Code:
1/2 up at mirror A
	1/4 up at mirror D, to 1
	1/4 down at mirror D, to 2
1/2 down
	1/4 up at mirror B
		1/8 up at mirror C
	1/4 down at mirror B
		1/8 up at mirror C
That doesn't take interference into account.

I think my answer is correct (with the assumptions spelled out above).
Old 21st April 2008, 11:19 AM   #13
sol invictus
Philosopher

So to speak.

I think.
By the way, the problem with this logic is that the intensity of the light that ends up at 3 is 1/4, not 1/2 (because there are two paths, each passing through three beam splitters, for a total of 1/8+1/8=1/4). So I think the answer is
1/4,1/4,1/4, which (since we were asked for probabilities, not intensities) is 1/3,1/3,1/3
Old 21st April 2008, 07:07 PM   #14
69dodge
Illuminator

By the way, the problem with this logic is that the intensity of the light that ends up at 3 is 1/4, not 1/2 (because there are two paths, each passing through three beam splitters, for a total of 1/8+1/8=1/4).
But don't those two paths interfere constructively, because they're in phase at the end, each containing two transmissions and one reflection, so that the resulting intensity is more than just the sum of the individual intensities?
Old 21st April 2008, 08:11 PM   #15
sol invictus
Philosopher

You're saying the amplitude gets decreased at each splitter by a factor of the square root of 2, not 2... yes, you're right.

I was wrong. I agree with your numbers.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:16 PM   #16
GreedyAlgorithm
Muse

You're saying the amplitude gets decreased at each splitter by a factor of the square root of 2, not 2... yes, you're right.

I was wrong. I agree with your numbers.
Ah! Now this finally makes sense to me. Let's see if I've got it: After the first splitter, we've i/sqrt(2) going NE and 1/sqrt(2) going SE. That top i/sqrt(2) will bounce off of the top mirror to become -1/sqrt(2), then hit detectors 1 and 2 with -i/2 and -1/2 respectively. Meanwhile the bottom splits again into i/2 going NE and 1/2 going SE, bouncing off mirrors to become -1/2 SE and i/2 NE. Then comes another splitter - going NE we get (-i/2sqrt(2))+(i/2sqrt(2))=0, and going SE we get (-1/2sqrt(2))+(-1/2sqrt(2))=-1/sqrt(2) at detector 3.

Probabilities come from the squared abs of amplitude which give us 1/4, 1/4, and 1/2.

Last edited by GreedyAlgorithm; 21st April 2008 at 09:17 PM.
GreedyAlgorithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology