IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags probability , telekinesis , testing protocols

Old 18th November 2011, 08:48 AM   #1
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Testing Telekinesis

A friend and I recently tossed back and forth on a hyptotheical issue.

Let's say you are an organization like the JREF and you test people who claim to have psychic abilities. What protocol would you advise for a test of telekinesis?

Here's the issues:

1)The test has to be fair both ways. Neither the applicant nor the testing organization should be able to cheat the other.
If you test telepathy, the applicant is usually required to bring his own volunteer, so that he won't have an out claiming that the JREF cheated him by getting their volunteer to simply lie.

But how does that work with telekinesis? Either party who doesn't supply the given object can claim the other side tampered with it somehow.

2)How does one evaluate statistical probability on the test?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

You think JREF can provide object which is tempered with so it cannot be move with telekinesis ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Will all the people in the room claiming to have telekinetic powers please raise my hand.
Old 18th November 2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Max_mang
Muse

GrandMasterFox, this is why everyone involved has to agree to the protocols ahead of time.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 09:06 AM   #5
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post

Let's say you are an organization like the JREF and you test people who claim to have psychic abilities. What protocol would you advise for a test of telekinesis?

Here's the issues:

1)The test has to be fair both ways. Neither the applicant nor the testing organization should be able to cheat the other.
If you test telepathy, the applicant is usually required to bring his own volunteer, so that he won't have an out claiming that the JREF cheated him by getting their volunteer to simply lie.

But how does that work with telekinesis? Either party who doesn't supply the given object can claim the other side tampered with it somehow.

We order an object from Amazon to be delivered to the testing site.

We open the package and set it up on site.

I move it using my powers.

I go home with $1 million.

I always thought telekinesis would be the easiest claim to test.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Pope130
Illuminator

The actual test is proposed by the claimant. So the basic setup would be up to them. It is reviewed by JREF, and any changes are agreed on by both parties.
That said, a simple test could be as follows: The object to be moved is placed in a sealed glass container (an old-fashioned anniversary clock dome would be nice), the container on a sturdy table, the table on a stable floor. The claimant sits or stands near the table, but not touching it. Cameras run watching the object, the claimant and the rest of the room. The claimant attempts to move the object.
Obvious items to check: The object should be non-ferous, have no internal mechanisms, and is examined and approved by both parties. The claimant can have no devices to influence the object.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
EHocking
Philosopher

...2)How does one evaluate statistical probability on the test?
This one is pretty much binary - no statistics required.

The test object moves or it doesn't.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Here's the issues:

Well, if one has telekinetic powers, then why bother with JREF at all?

Because if I had such powers, then I would just visit various Roulette tables around the world and scoop up and extra few grand here and there, then move on to some other place before they got wise.

It would be easy to do and I could get in a great deal of good travelling to boot.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
The actual test is proposed by the claimant. So the basic setup would be up to them. It is reviewed by JREF, and any changes are agreed on by both parties.
That said, a simple test could be as follows: The object to be moved is placed in a sealed glass container (an old-fashioned anniversary clock dome would be nice), the container on a sturdy table, the table on a stable floor. The claimant sits or stands near the table, but not touching it. Cameras run watching the object, the claimant and the rest of the room. The claimant attempts to move the object.
Obvious items to check: The object should be non-ferous, have no internal mechanisms, and is examined and approved by both parties. The claimant can have no devices to influence the object.
...except that the "object" in question would almost certainly be what the proponents of telekinesis call a 'PK Wheel'. Which they can already demonstrate the ability to move while inside a sealed glass container.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 01:12 PM   #10
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Just to make sure nobody even thinks otherwise, no I do not think telekinesis is a real thing. It's just a random "what if" (hence why it is in this forum and not the actual MDC)

The question I was pondering it is possible to establish an item to be moved without either party capable of claiming was tampered with. I suppose AvalonXQ suggestion of having a 3rd party deliver it is quite reasonable.

Though I would love to hear the following conversion:
Claiment: We waited four hours and you didn't show up!
Amazon Customer Support: Oh, we're sorry. We had a schedueling issue. We hope there was no inconvinient
Claiment: You just cost me $1,000,000!!!!

As for the issue of statistics, isn't the whole point that the MDC goes by greater than chance probability? If I remember correctly, that's 1 in 1000 for the preliminary test. Is it fair to claim a test with no probability?
Or does one have to determine such thing?
Example: Roll a roulette and the claiment has to make sure it sets on a specific spot.
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 01:26 PM   #11
GregInAustin
Thinker

As for the issue of statistics, isn't the whole point that the MDC goes by greater than chance probability?
The point of the MDC is to prove that ANY type of paranormal or supernatural powers or beings exist. Probability only matters in cases where random chance plays a part.

With telekinesis, moving ANYTHING, even just once, by using only the mind would be phenomenal. That type of test would be a simple PASS/FAIL.

GregInAustin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Just to make sure nobody even thinks otherwise, no I do not think telekinesis is a real thing. It's just a random "what if" (hence why it is in this forum and not the actual MDC)

The question I was pondering it is possible to establish an item to be moved without either party capable of claiming was tampered with. I suppose AvalonXQ suggestion of having a 3rd party deliver it is quite reasonable.

Though I would love to hear the following conversion:
Claiment: We waited four hours and you didn't show up!
Amazon Customer Support: Oh, we're sorry. We had a schedueling issue. We hope there was no inconvinient
Claiment: You just cost me $1,000,000!!!!

As for the issue of statistics, isn't the whole point that the MDC goes by greater than chance probability? If I remember correctly, that's 1 in 1000 for the preliminary test. Is it fair to claim a test with no probability?
Or does one have to determine such thing?
Example: Roll a roulette and the claiment has to make sure it sets on a specific spot.
The odds are only important when the test involves something that could happen randomly.
That's why it's up to the claimant to make their claim. If they say they can move something then the test should be that they move something.

Agreeing to the protocol should be easy. The object itself should be pretty easy to agree upon since there's no such thing as telekinesis it just has to be something that's not moved by light and the heavier the better.

If the object is something that can't be move by a regular house fan, then you don't have to put a glass dome or other barrier between the claimant and the object. Of course, they would not be allowed to touch it.

If it can be moved by a house fan, then something should be between the claimant and the object and a house fan could be used to test whether the object is susceptible to wind currents.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
jt512
Master Poster

[...]

Easy. Telekinesis has a prior probability of zero. Therefore, by Bayes Theorem, it has a posterior probability of zero, regardless of the test's apparent results.

Jay
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I agree with all the comments and insights, but to be very pedantic about it all: the starting place on such speculations must always be an actual stated claim.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 04:28 PM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Laboratory balance in an airtight Faraday cage in a damped 'balance room',
If someone can influence its measurement then I'll be willing to concede telekinesis,
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2011, 07:15 PM   #16
maggot9779
Thinker

Just out of interest, has anyone actually claimed to be able to do it and had a preliminary test so far?
maggot9779 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2011, 08:47 PM   #17
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Have a trusted 3rd party create a clear, completely airtight acrylic (or glass) hollow cube with a non-magnetical piece of material inside it. Place on table. Move the non-magnetical piece of material without touching table or cube.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 01:46 AM   #18
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by maggot9779 View Post
Just out of interest, has anyone actually claimed to be able to do it and had a preliminary test so far?
Seems like I remember a video of a news show or something with someone who supposedly was turning the pages of a telephone book with the "power of his mind" ... Randi was there, and suggested he was doing it by blowing and put some controls in after the guy's initial demonstration... not sure if it was a MDC or not though.

(edit) Found it... it was actually on "That's My Line" and is actually quite old. I think it might have been from before the MDC, though I didn't re-watch the entire thing to see if the MDC was mentioned.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Manopolus; 20th November 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 02:02 AM   #19
SezMe
post-pre-born

Another way to handle selection of the object would be to have it picked from a very large number. For example, supposed the claimant says he can move a paper clip. Then the protocol could be to go to a paper clip manufacturer where there are millions of paper clips and then let a third party pick one.

ETA: I was going to post that video too. Yes, the MDC is mentioned in the first minute or two ... back when it was $10K.

Last edited by SezMe; 20th November 2011 at 02:11 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 02:40 AM   #20
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by maggot9779 View Post
I don't think the challenge subforum lists all applicants ever, but a quick scan of the thread titles shows three applicants who have claimed telekinetic ability:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=97889

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=41604

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=30119

None got as far as taking a preliminary test, but all are of some interest with regard to what kind of test protocol JREF would consider appropriate. I like the idea of hanging several items from strings and asking the applicant to move just one of them.
Old 20th November 2011, 03:52 AM   #21
Brattus

One thing I learned from this thread. Using only the power of my mind, I can move on to the next thread.
Goodbye.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 06:59 AM   #22
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Another way to handle selection of the object would be to have it picked from a very large number. For example, supposed the claimant says he can move a paper clip. Then the protocol could be to go to a paper clip manufacturer where there are millions of paper clips and then let a third party pick one.
Or put three paperclips on the same table, but not touching each other, and ask the claimant to move only number 2.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.

Last edited by Femke; 20th November 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: tyop
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 11:57 AM   #23
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, if one has telekinetic powers, then why bother with JREF at all?

Because if I had such powers, then I would just visit various Roulette tables around the world and scoop up and extra few grand here and there, then move on to some other place before they got wise.

It would be easy to do and I could get in a great deal of good travelling to boot.
Why not just reach out mentally and flip a few ones and zeros and etransfer some money into your account?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2011, 05:42 PM   #24
dlorde
Philosopher

Rather than a simple 'one item', 'one movement' test, I'd prefer to see a kind of pin-ball rig where multiple wooden balls fall down a tilted board, bouncing off wooden pins, into a number of collection slots. This would allow an isolated set up, remote activation (running balls down a tube to the top of the board or similar), multiple runs to calibrate in the absence of telekinesis, and multiple runs in the presence of telekinesis. If the claimant could influence the cumulative trajectory of the balls over multiple runs to fall into different slots at a significantly greater than random chance, they'd have demonstrated their influence.
Old 21st November 2011, 06:35 PM   #25
RayG
Master Poster

Robert Park covered this nearly a dozen years ago.
[i]f the mind can influence inanimate objects, why not simply measure the static force the mind can exert? Modern ultramicrobalances can routinely measure a force much less than a billionth of an ounce. Why not just use your psychokinetic powers to deflect a microbalance? [...] The reason, of course, is that the microbalance stubbornly refuses to budge.

—Robert L. Park, Voodoo Science, 2000, page 199

Quote-mined from here.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2011, 07:01 PM   #26
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Rather than a simple 'one item', 'one movement' test, I'd prefer to see a kind of pin-ball rig where multiple wooden balls fall down a tilted board, bouncing off wooden pins, into a number of collection slots. This would allow an isolated set up, remote activation (running balls down a tube to the top of the board or similar), multiple runs to calibrate in the absence of telekinesis, and multiple runs in the presence of telekinesis. If the claimant could influence the cumulative trajectory of the balls over multiple runs to fall into different slots at a significantly greater than random chance, they'd have demonstrated their influence.
Why do a complicated test that involves statistics rather than a simple yes/no test whose outcome is obvious....like the one in the post above this.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:08 AM   #27
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Why do a complicated test that involves statistics rather than a simple yes/no test whose outcome is obvious....like the one in the post above this.
I don't think it's a complicated test. It allows a baseline control comparison which makes set up and replication relatively easy. It also seems to me reasonably robust against claims of deceitful manipulation (cheating )

I haven't yet heard a protocol for a yes/no test that seems sufficiently robust against claims of deceitful manipulation.

I don't feel particularly strongly about it - I just thought it worth consideration.

Last edited by dlorde; 22nd November 2011 at 07:09 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal