IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dna , cats

Old 26th April 2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Lisa Simpson

Save your cat's DNA for only $295

I got a flyer in the mail today, advertising a service with which I could save my cat's DNA so that later, when he's shredding God's futon instead of mine, I can clone him. The $295 is just for the basic DNA storage. They also offer package for only $895 and $1395. This of course, does not include the $32,000 for the actual cloning.

My cat is just your basic DSH shelter cat. Sure, he's a great cat, but why would I spend upwards of $35,000 when I can replace him for another 70 bucks to the animal shelter?

http://www.savingsandclone.com

At least their name is mildly amusing.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 01:16 AM   #2
richardm
Philosopher

Re: Save your cat's DNA for only $295

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Simpson
why would I spend upwards of $35,000 when I can replace him for another 70 bucks to the animal shelter?
Or you could get a girl cat as well = free cats for life.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

You paid SEVENTY DOLLARS for a CAT?
What is it the last surviving albino Peruvian snow lynx?
Cats are cheap. Ye gods, cats are free. That's why they make such excellent ammunition for catapults, hence the name.

Cats... cats are.... (stutters incoherently)...cats are just animated DOG food!
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Nucular
Illuminator

Just start feeding someone else's. Cats transfer loyalty very easily, and if it's the best friend of some little girl... well what's she gonna do?
Nucular is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 05:47 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Soapy Sam
You paid SEVENTY DOLLARS for a CAT?
What is it the last surviving albino Peruvian snow lynx?
Cats are cheap. Ye gods, cats are free. That's why they make such excellent ammunition for catapults, hence the name.

Cats... cats are.... (stutters incoherently)...cats are just animated DOG food!
Soapy - I suggest you sit down before reading the rest of this post...

I paid £350 each for my two Maine Coons (but the only one was free).

I find this interesting; I wonder if any of cat fancier clubs have legislated about cloned cats in regards to breeding and showing? I could just about understand cloning a champion cat if all you were interested in was showing cats but then I wonder how identical are cloned cats going to be?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Lisa Simpson

I really want a Japanese Bobtail cat--they run about $300-500. Don't know if I'll get one, though. My husband doesn't want three cats.

BTW, the $70 included the neutering fee.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Rolfe
Adult human female

Re: Save your cat's DNA for only $295

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Simpson
I can replace him for another 70 bucks to the animal shelter?
I thought it was fairly clear that this was a reference to a (probably mandatory) "donation" to the cat shelter, and if it also included neutering (what about vaccination and parasite control?) it sounds like a serious bargain.

If you want totally free, wait till a friend's cat has kittens (my Caramel), or even better, wait for someone to pay you money to put a nice-looking young cat to sleep, pocket the money, and keep the cat! (My beloved Rolfe.) (BTW, the latter only works if you're a vet.) On the other hand, unless you're a vet again, you're going to have to shell out for neutering, vaccination and so on anyway.

I'm very ambivalent about all this cat cloning stuff. I do recognise that some people are very keen on the idea, but I'm extremely queasy about advertising or promoting the service.

I have to admit that if Rolfe had still been alive now (he died in 1992), I'd be tempted. Not because I'd think I was getting Rolfe back, but because it would be my best chance of getting a kitten as much like him as possible. And yes, I've heard all the stuff about how many stray cats could be saved and looked after for what it would cost to create a clone, and I don't think these are valid arguments.

Some people want to spend their money on diamond rings, or Rolex watches, or ocean-going yachts. You might say, but what about world poverty, but it's not going to stop them. And where do you draw the line? Should nobody ever buy an expensive pedigree cat because there are stray cats looking for homes? What if the cloning was no more expensive than Boris-the-Maine-Coon? If that was the only argument, I'd defend the right of anyone to spend their money as they see fit.

However, I have a host of questions about the welfare of the queen(s) who carry the cloned embryos, and I'm as yet far from being persuaded that the desire of someone to replace a much-loved pet can justify messing around another animal in the process. I also want to know what happens if they are successful in creating two or more clones. Since I'm damn sure they don't just try one embryo after another sequentially until they get one that works, it must be possible. How would any customer react to the information that another copy of their beloved pet had been put down, or palmed off to the local cat shelter, because they happened to have two embryos "take" simultaneously? Or do the owners agree to take more than one if that's how it works out?

Those questions seem very obvious to me, but I've never seen them addressed. You can't go into this and just shut your mind to whatever happens before the cute two-month-old kitten is delivered.

Rolfe.
Old 27th April 2005, 09:01 AM   #8
Rolfe
Adult human female

Quote:
Originally posted by Darat
I find this interesting; I wonder if any of cat fancier clubs have legislated about cloned cats in regards to breeding and showing? I could just about understand cloning a champion cat if all you were interested in was showing cats but then I wonder how identical are cloned cats going to be?
Try this page, on that subject. I don't think any definite rules have been formulated yet.

Rolfe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology