JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 30th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
RSLancastr

Sylvia Browne's upcoming book

...is evidently a companion to her recent Afterlives of the Rich and Famous, in which she pontifcated on how many dead celebrities are doing on "The Other Side".

Her latest, due to hit the shelves on December 26th (Sorry, not in time for Christmas gift-giving!) is Past Lives of the Rich & Famous.

As with "Afterlives...", this one seems as though it will be skeptic-proof, since nothing in it is likely to be falsifiable (unless she has another howler in it like the one in her Past Lives, Future Healing, where she "regressed" a woman who had an inordinate fear of fire, and found that the woman had been burned at the stake as a witch in Salem, Mass (where nobody was burned at the stake).

I have to wonder if she has decided to focus on non-falsifiable topics in her books for a while, so as to keep any skeptical web sites from pointing out any gaffes in them.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
KatieG
Master Poster

Hard to believe anyone would buy her book at this point, but hey, maybe there are a few laughs in it.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong time.
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 06:28 AM   #3
RSLancastr

Assuredly, KatieG. Although I'd find it difficult to laugh at anything she would say at this point.

I also noticed that there is no "glamour shot" of her on the cover this time, which makes me wonder if perhaps her publisher no longer thinks that is a good move, marketing-wise.

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
I also noticed that there is no "glamour shot" of her on the cover this time,
That would be an oxymoron.

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
which makes me wonder if perhaps her publisher no longer thinks that is a good move, marketing-wise.
I don't know. Star Wars characters are pretty popular, and they probably could have sold a bunch of books to people who mistook her for Jabba the Hutt.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!

Last edited by Wowbagger; 1st December 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Wowbagger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
RSLancastr

Wow, I resisted making a comment along those lines, as I'm not exactly Brad Pitt myself, you know?

Old 2nd December 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Hard to believe anyone would buy her book at this point, but hey, maybe there are a few laughs in it.
Seems that even her supporters don't like these types of books. Some people with verified purchases of 'Afterlives of the Rich and Famous' on Amazon:

Quote:
I like Sylvia, but this book had me rolling my eyes
or this:
Quote:
I feel bad about this , but it must be pointed out. Rock Hudson died on October 2,1985. Francine says that when Rock crossed over he was met by his good friends Marlon Brando and Roddy McDowell, very sweet only one problem: Roddy McDowall died October 3, 1998, and Marlon Brando July 1, 2004. These guys were still alive here on earth!!!!
and
Quote:
Not completely horrible (... ??) -- but definitely not completely convincing, either...,
These books seem to be making some of Browne's fans skeptical.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
RSLancastr

It sounds almost self-refuting.

The thing about Rock Hudson might make for a decent SSB article some day...

Old 3rd December 2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Reno
Inquisitor

quit with the 'some day....' stuff and get back on yer horse big feller. We're all waiting, y'know.

"You were told what to believe by your non-experts, and because it matches some ideologcial predisposition, you do not question it." - JayUtah
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:19 PM   #9
RSLancastr

There's nothing I'd like better, Reno.

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal