JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 24th November 2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Abdul Alhazred
Yes, that one.

More proof the Kenyan usurper is a Muslim

“Obama’s Godless Thanksgiving” Fake Outrage Meme Spreads Rapidly Through Wingnut Media
Various sources via Little Green Footballs

Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 05:16 AM   #2
casebro
Philosopher

I'm not worried about The Usurper. I think the Masons have their All Seeing Eyes on him. And I wonder how many Secret Service agents are closet members?

But you know, one reason that I vote Republican is because they have a machine behind their Pres. Advisers that tell their guy not to make all the petty mistakes that B.O. seems to have a penchant for. Like name pronunciations. Teleprompter gaffes, bowing to foreigners, and the way Mrs. B.O. dresses. Hey, remember how the Reps bought new dresses for Palin?

Some have called me cynical, but I don't believe them.

It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many times you have been breathless that counts.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But you know, one reason that I vote Republican is because they have a machine behind their Pres. Advisers that tell their guy not to make all the petty mistakes
So what happened with Romney then? Cause dude was like, foot in mouth the entire election, and lost his ass at least partly because of it. I guess that machine don't work so good huh?

[Cue you reciting your imaginary scenario about how if you change just the right numbers, Romney could have won, and cue me repeating "Yeah, and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle."]

But you know, one reason that I vote Republican is because they have a machine behind their Pres. Advisers that tell their guy not to make all the petty mistakes that B.O. seems to have a penchant for.
ODS out in full force today, I see.

Quote:
Like name pronunciations.
I don't care.

Quote:
Teleprompter
a) Fiction. b) I don't care who uses a teleprompter and who doesn't.

Quote:
bowing to foreigners
He's the President, not the Holy Emperor. Let's keep it that way. Pretending that a bow is a big deal is a bad case of "AMERICA **** YEAH" syndrome; we ain't nothin' so special that we should never show respect to anyone else.

Quote:
and the way Mrs. B.O. dresses. Hey, remember how the Reps bought new dresses for Palin?
Hey, remember how Palin was running for VP and Mrs. BO isn't running for anything? Yeah, me too. But let's be honest, Mrs. BO could show up topless with a sign reading "TITS OOT FOR SATAN" and I wouldn't care. She ain't the one with the job.

But you keep on keepin' on with that stock GOP thinkin'. It'll make more Tea Party tears in 2014 for me to drink.

Last edited by remirol; 24th November 2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: second half
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

But you know, one reason that I vote Republican is because they have a machine behind their Pres. Advisers that tell their guy not to make all the petty mistakes that B.O. seems to have a penchant for. Like name pronunciations. Teleprompter gaffes, bowing to foreigners, and the way Mrs. B.O. dresses. Hey, remember how the Reps bought new dresses for Palin?
Are you saying that was Bush with a machine to prevent him from making petty mistakes?
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Are you saying that was Bush with a machine to prevent him from making petty mistakes?
Yes. Now imagine what he'd have been like without that machine.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Biscuit
Philosopher

No no no! Bush was a RINO... And was never actually president... And and and...
Old 24th November 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Ladewig
Hipster alien

And once again we find ourselves in bizarro world

The president's actual words: "Today we give thanks for .. The ability to worship as we please..."

Their interpretation: "The president’s mention of the freedom ‘to worship as we please’ could be seen as a challenge to conservatives and the Catholic Church, both of which have accused his administration of waging a war on religious freedom."
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by remirol View Post
So what happened with Romney then? Cause dude was like, foot in mouth the entire election, and lost his ass at least partly because of it.
It is possible that the entire post was sarcasm and that Casebro thought it was so over-the-top that no one would take it seriously.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Giordano
Illuminator

If you look at Obama's actual remarks, he lists as one of our blessings the ability to worship as one pleases, and uses the term, "but for the grace of God."

Apparently only a government establishment of THEIR own religion would please the right wing nuts.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

On a serious note, I think that is why Cheney imposed himself on the situation. I think he knew W was an idiot.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:53 AM   #11
A'isha
Unique

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And once again we find ourselves in bizarro world

The president's actual words: "Today we give thanks for .. The ability to worship as we please..."

Their interpretation: "The president’s mention of the freedom ‘to worship as we please’ could be seen as a challenge to conservatives and the Catholic Church, both of which have accused his administration of waging a war on religious freedom."
That's because the last thing they want is for people to be able to worship as they please. They want everyone to worship the same way they do.

Currently Reading: The Crusades Through Arab Eyes, by Amin Maalouf
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
uk_dave
Philosopher

My mind is truly boggled.

Perhaps without that well oiled machine he'd still be trying to find the exit door.
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:05 AM   #13
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

That's the reason for all of the Bush gaffes? It was his machine?

100 of the Dumbest Right-Wing Quotes of all Time

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion. --Adam Smith

Last edited by RandFan; 24th November 2012 at 10:13 AM.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:07 AM   #14
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

The horror. When was freedom of conscience an American value?

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion. --Adam Smith
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

I'm not worried about The Usurper. I think the Masons have their All Seeing Eyes on him. And I wonder how many Secret Service agents are closet members?

Hey, that whole "B.O." thing is pretty good - worthy of third-grade playground insult rhetoric.

Just as a matter of academic curiosity, what is wrong with how Michelle Obama dresses? I think she always looks very nice.

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:28 AM   #16
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Just as a matter of academic curiosity, what is wrong with how Michelle Obama dresses? I think she always looks very nice.
Really? 'cause its like soooo obvious that Michelle doesn't spend 150K on clothing like the GOP's goddess.

Spectrum Scientifics - My store - Google it people!
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Really? 'cause its like soooo obvious that Michelle doesn't spend 150K on clothing like the GOP's goddess.
Or another GOP goddess.
Quote:
Nancy Reagan's wardrobe consisted of dresses, gowns, and suits made by luxury designers, including James Galanos, Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta. Her white, hand-beaded, one shoulder Galanos 1981 inaugural gown was estimated to cost $10,000 while the overall price of her inaugural wardrobe was said to cost $25,000. She favored the color red, calling it "a picker-upper", and wore it accordingly. Her wardrobe included red so often that the fire-engine shade became known as "Reagan red". She employed two private hairdressers who would style her hair on a regular basis in the White House.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
That's because the last thing they want is for people to be able to worship as they please. They want everyone to worship the same way they do.
Yes, I've seen this game before.

Obama: Thank God for our blessings

Right-wing cranks: How offensive, you didn't say Jesus Christ, you're supposed to say Jesus Christ.

Obama: We thank Jesus Christ for our blessings.

Right-wing cranks: How offensive. You didn't say Jesus Christ, crucified, dead, and resurrected.

Obama: Jesus Christ, crucified, dead, and resurrected.

Right-wing cranks: It sounds offensive when Obama says it because he is a Muslim.

Last edited by Ladewig; 24th November 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 24th November 2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Rebel Yellow
Thinker

First a war on CHRISTmas, now there's a war on Christ's Thanksgiving.

"I suppose all things are possible, although not equally" - Neil Cross's Luther
Rebel Yellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 05:36 PM   #20
amensae
Suspended

So a majority of Catholics voted for Obama and a majority of Protestants voted for Romney; but it’s the Catholics who are the bad guys.
Of course, no Protestant leader in the entire country attacked the President. Or is it that Catholics are hypocrites who don’t follow the teachings of their own Church?
amensae is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #21
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Hoo boy.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So then: If the United States Congress (which makes laws) shall NOT make any law that establishes one or more state religions, and shall NOT stop folks from practicing any religion they damned well please (or choosing to practice NO religion):

How in the world is the President of the United States (who does NOT make laws) going to execute a law which CANNOT be made?

Wingnuts: Have you actually read the U.S. Constitution?
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #22
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, uh... this:

Old 24th November 2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by hgc View Post

Just be glad his "machine" wasn't a vibrator.
Old 24th November 2012, 07:06 PM   #24
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
And the time he cleaned his eye glasses on David Letterman's assistant's shirt.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 24th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #25
Unabogie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
And the time he cleaned his eye glasses on David Letterman's assistant's shirt.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
How the hell did I ever miss THAT one?
Unabogie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 07:39 PM   #26
A'isha
Unique

Originally Posted by ConspiRaider View Post
Wingnuts: Have you actually read the U.S. Constitution?
Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

Currently Reading: The Crusades Through Arab Eyes, by Amin Maalouf
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 08:12 PM   #27
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
Great satire, as always, from the Onion...

The sad news is that canyonfuls of Americans believe pretty much the same thing...
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:32 PM   #28
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by ConspiRaider View Post
Great satire, as always, from the Onion...

The sad news is that canyonfuls of Americans believe pretty much the same thing...
I heard a right-wing radio talk-show about victims' rights. A caller angrily asked why do criminals even have rights. Even the most casual reading of the Bill of Rights shows that 40% of the amendments provide very specific rights for people who have committed a crime.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Cain
Straussian

Via LGF, the Daily Caller article:

Quote:
The president’s call to unite behind his administration follows a bitter election, in which his opponent, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, won independents 50 to 45 percent, and whites 59 to 39 percent.
I love this kind of ****. It's subtly suggesting Obama's something other than a middle-of-the-roader. He didn't win independents or whites (the latter making up 99.993% of The Daily Caller's readers.
"Alright, alright, alright. I just wanna say one more thing, brother: I was on the Dessi bandwagon before it was cool. And you can say that I said that. " -- Matthew McConaughey, private correspondence.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 06:10 AM   #30
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

And..."by Christmas Obama and his minions will have passed a 28th Amendment requiring all Americans to be Satanists."
Old 25th November 2012, 07:44 AM   #31
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I love this kind of ****. It's subtly suggesting Obama's something other than a middle-of-the-roader.

I'm sorry, but that is a completely bogus and unfair characterization.

There was no subtlety in that quote.
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #32
CORed
Philosopher

the money they spent buying dresses for Palin would have been spent better by buying her a clue.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:29 AM   #33
Chaos
TAM Chocolate Dispenser

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
the money they spent buying dresses for Palin would have been spent better by buying her a clue.
You can´t buy those in the sort of store the GOP shops at.
Folks enjoy a witch-hunt as long as they are on the blunt end of the pitchfork. - Suezoled
You can't use logic to talk a man out of a position that he didn't use logic to get himself into - passed down by Nyarlathotep
Kids these days are better than their parents since they constitute the newest edition, the beta version of our societies - Cleopatra
You´ll have to accept the fact that some people are just plain nuts. - Paul C. Anagnostopolous
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Via LGF, the Daily Caller article:

I love this kind of ****. It's subtly suggesting Obama's something other than a middle-of-the-roader. He didn't win independents or whites (the latter making up 99.993% of The Daily Caller's readers.
Wow, you are less cynical than I am. I thought the purpose was to remind readers that once upon a time only whites could vote and things were great. Giving the vote to minorities allowed a candidate to promise gifts to the minorities and thus win the election.

ETA: some might read that and state the previously unstated assertion "Look, I am not saying blacks should not have a vote; I am just saying a black vote should not count as much as a white vote. The U.S. Constitution used a three-fifths ratio - maybe today a black person's vote should be worth 3/5 of a white person's vote. Romney would have won."

Last edited by Ladewig; 25th November 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:34 PM   #35
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Location: In the midst of a vast, beautiful & uncaring universe
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
If you look at Obama's actual remarks, he lists as one of our blessings the ability to worship as one pleases, and uses the term, "but for the grace of God."

Apparently only a government establishment of THEIR own religion would please the right wing nuts.
This ^

The religious fundamentalists who form much of the core of the right-wing think religious freedom means "my freedom to impose my religion [fundamentalist Christianity] on everyone else."
Old 27th November 2012, 12:30 AM   #36
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Yes. Now imagine what he'd have been like without that machine.
Not sure my imagination will stretch that far.

The best I can manage is an episode of the comedy classic "Blackadder the third" when Hugh Laurie, playing the Prince Regent, spends an entire week trying to work out how to put his trousers on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbtEsFjZSgA
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » USA Politics