JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 21st December 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
How long until the Next Big Doomsday Event?

Well I think we can safely say, 12-21-2012 will have passed with the world still populated and spinning in it's correct direction, none the worse for another days wear. So, that brings us to, when is the NEXT inevitable, "This is it!", doomsday event been predicted for? How long we got, because I'm sure it's already started ticking down again.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
crescent
Critical Thinker

Warren Jeffs, leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (the polygamist cult, not to be confused with the mainstream Mormon church) has said that the world will end on Dec. 23.

Apparently, he makes these sorts of announcements all the time. This time, though, he is serving a life sentence, so I hope he is not encouraging his followers to do anything bad on Sunday.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:55 AM   #3
smartcooky
Master Poster

5125 years and 130 days to go!
JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, who acted alone
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

You wait until you need to fix the Y10K problem. That is when the date goes from 31 December 9999 to 1 January 0000. Computers will think the second date comes before the first!
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
xtifr
Muse

Depends on what you mean by "big". Compared to the level of actual catastrophe we saw on the 21st, every day is a big doomsday!

My favorite is still the Church of the Subgenius. When the world didn't end in 1998, they claimed they got the date upside down, and the world is really going to end in 8661. So that's 6449 years to wait.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

My company is Y10K complacent.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:27 PM   #7
yomero
Graduate Poster

In 5 billion years, our sun will become a red giant. Life on earth will be impossible.

I predict Dec. 23 at 12:27 AM in the year 5,000,000,2012 for the end of the world. I'll be ready to collect a million dollars from James Randi when my prediction comes true.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by yomero View Post
In 5 billion years, our sun will become a red giant. Life on earth will be impossible.

I predict Dec. 23 at 12:27 AM in the year 5,000,000,2012 for the end of the world. I'll be ready to collect a million dollars from James Randi when my prediction comes true.
Life would be a lot more difficult when we get short of several critical resources.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:57 PM   #9
MontagK505
Graduate Poster

By which time the Million dollars will be worth .... nothing.

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:21 PM   #10
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Warren Jeffs, leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (the polygamist cult, not to be confused with the mainstream Mormon church) has said that the world will end on Dec. 23.

Apparently, he makes these sorts of announcements all the time. This time, though, he is serving a life sentence, so I hope he is not encouraging his followers to do anything bad on Sunday.
I think he got that one wrong.
Ronald Weinland said Jesus would return on 19MAY2013; I think that's the next one. Of course he was wrong about Jesus' return in 2011 and 2012.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Looks like I missed the fun of that one.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I've seen a woo-woo elsewhere blathering about Nostradamus, Mabus ("GW Bush"), and a comet that's supposed to hit earth in 2013.

That quatrain has probably been correlated with every meteor shower in hundreds of years.
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Thinker

April 13, 2036
100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2012, 11:15 PM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I am sure someone will say the world will say the world will end on a date in 2013. We seem to be having them every year, sometimes several a year.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

My patience with the doomsayers have worn thin over the past couple of years. Makes me want to Gibbs slap them every time they open their mouths now.

There's a couple more end of the world dates to come in 2013, though.

Kopji: A perfect utopia where everyone follows the rules is more like a hell than a heaven.

Last edited by Mudcat; 24th December 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 01:11 AM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately we're going to have big problems sooner than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Earth.27s_fate

Quote:
Even during its current life in the main sequence, the Sun is gradually becoming more luminous (about 10% every 1 billion years), and its surface temperature is slowly rising. The Sun used to be fainter in its early past; which is possibly the reason life on Earth has only existed for two to three billion years. The increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.[109][110]
Hopefully if humans are still around we will be technologically advanced enough to prevent that.

Actually, global warming may become a big problem much sooner than that due to greenhouse gases. If we can solve that problem we may be able to solve the former problem too.
Old 25th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #17
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
Depends on what you mean by "big". Compared to the level of actual catastrophe we saw on the 21st, every day is a big doomsday!

My favorite is still the Church of the Subgenius. When the world didn't end in 1998, they claimed they got the date upside down, and the world is really going to end in 8661. So that's 6449 years to wait.
You can't blame the Church of the Subgenius for the mistake, because BOB reads the same forward as backwards, and upside down as rightside up (if you squint a bit).
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 07:30 PM   #18
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Here are enough predictions to keep us on our toes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_predictions

Pick the one you like and root for it.
Old 25th December 2012, 08:13 PM   #19
DallasDad
Muse

06:28:16 UTC on 7 Feb 2036

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_ep...s_in_Unix_time
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Janadele
Suspended

For each of us the end of our mortal world will come, so be prepared for when it does... whether that be in a moment or another day.
Janadele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 01:28 PM   #21
xtifr
Muse

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
Wow, that's weird. I had no idea that the NTP epoch was different from the standard Unix epoch!
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal