IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th February 2006, 01:01 PM   #201
Mariah
Thinker

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
You are walking a fine line.
I'm too fat to walk a fine line.
Old 24th February 2006, 05:36 PM   #202
Kelly
Philosopher

Good news!

I just spoke to Marc Klaas' right hand man, and he is sure Marc will participate in the blog series, although we can't say to what degree because of his busy schedule.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2006, 06:42 PM   #203
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Apologies if this is slightly off topic. What does happen to people who disappear?

As for a name keep it slightly vague so that it does not become meaningless when you expand a little eg QANTAS - Queensland and Northern Tertiary Airline Service is an example where they failed to heed this advice.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2006, 06:53 PM   #204
Mariah
Thinker

Wonderful news, Kelly! Yes, that's great news!
Old 24th February 2006, 09:57 PM   #205
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Apologies if this is slightly off topic. What does happen to people who disappear?

As for a name keep it slightly vague so that it does not become meaningless when you expand a little eg QANTAS - Queensland and Northern Tertiary Airline Service is an example where they failed to heed this advice.
NO one has stats on what happened to the missing persons. Stats on adults are not required to be kept by LE. Stats on children are, but in my surveys, I found this wasn't always happening either. When I speak of these stats, I am talking about new cases entered. No one keeps stats on who ranaway vs who was abducted, etc when the case if resolved.

Up front, (going from memory) I think that 80% are called runaways, 17% are parental abductions, and 3% are non-family kidnappings. These stats are children only. Sadly, almost all but the younger children are pegged as runaways in absence of proof, so the 80% figure is not correct. We just don't know what is correct.

I believe we are going to go with www.psychicpredators.com but thank you for the idea.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2006, 06:26 AM   #206
AOK Tiger
Muse

rjh01...

You got your QANTAS acronym slightly wrong.

Quote:
But when it means "Queensland and Northern Territory (a state and territory in Australia) Airline Service" it probably makes a little more sense?
AOK Tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2006, 07:41 AM   #207
Kelly
Philosopher

I have received a family's story about Sylvia Browne and the Montel Show in which they, apparently, retaped her portion after the fact.

Would anyone want to write a guest piece for the blog series about TV psychics and the tricks they use? It would include editing, audience plants, use of earpices, hidden microphones, etc.
Old 25th February 2006, 08:27 AM   #208
ObscureReferenceMan
Muse

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
Would anyone want to write a guest piece for the blog series about TV psychics and the tricks they use? It would include editing, audience plants, use of earpices, hidden microphones, etc.
Kelly,

If you need anyone to infiltrate any of the New York based TV shows (like Montel), let me know. I'm just a few train stops away. And I love the thought of being an "inside man".
ObscureReferenceMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2006, 08:39 AM   #209
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ObscureReferenceMan View Post
Kelly,

If you need anyone to infiltrate any of the New York based TV shows (like Montel), let me know. I'm just a few train stops away. And I love the thought of being an "inside man".
That would be fun to do, but unless some family member is going to be on the show and tells me, I don't know when they are having a missing person segment. What I do know is that traditionally, SB does a Wednesday show. I did hear that they are not having her do missing person readings at this time. (That may have been her demand.)

They were also on seasonal hiatus, and I believe are to return this week. http://www.montelshow.com/misc/tickets/ is the page about getting tickets to go, and you'd almost have to see if they would tell you which taping is going to be with her.

If everything goes right, I would like to start my blog series on 3/6, and depending on how many stories I get, it could go on for a week, maybe 10 days.

Thanks.
Old 25th February 2006, 08:47 AM   #210
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

I actually think that getting testimonys from people with experience of the non-results of the frauds is a good idea.
Maybe the new site could have an article section for this purpose?
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2006, 09:06 AM   #211
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
I actually think that getting testimonys from people with experience of the non-results of the frauds is a good idea.
Maybe the new site could have an article section for this purpose?
This is an excellent idea and I'm sure we will do this over time.

I'm not getting very many stories at this point. I am wondering if it is because people are

A) embarassed to admit they used psychics
B) afraid the psychic will sue them
C) doesn't want to appear to have closed the door to psychics in case they're for real and one of them could help find their missing loved one
D) feels it is a private issue/decision
E) something else I am not thinking of
Old 25th February 2006, 09:51 PM   #212
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by KellyJ View Post
I'm not getting very many stories at this point. I am wondering if it is because people are

A) embarassed to admit they used psychics
B) afraid the psychic will sue them
C) doesn't want to appear to have closed the door to psychics in case they're for real and one of them could help find their missing loved one
D) feels it is a private issue/decision
E) something else I am not thinking of
Many people who use psychics and get no results make their own excuses for the psychics' failure. Psychics are experts at emotional manipulation. They convince their 'marks' of their own good intentions, often spinning extensive stories of how they have gone through hardship in order to 'help' the people. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the people who have used psychics, even though they have not had any results, feel kindly towards the psychic (or at least some kind of obligation) and do not want to say anything bad about them.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 03:22 PM   #213
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
Many people who use psychics and get no results make their own excuses for the psychics' failure. Psychics are experts at emotional manipulation. They convince their 'marks' of their own good intentions, often spinning extensive stories of how they have gone through hardship in order to 'help' the people. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the people who have used psychics, even though they have not had any results, feel kindly towards the psychic (or at least some kind of obligation) and do not want to say anything bad about them.
I hadn't thought of this, but it does make sense. It's a relative to the odd dependency relationship between an abductor and the abducted. (There is a name for this syndrome, but it alludes me right now.)
Old 26th February 2006, 03:24 PM   #214
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Stockholm syndrome.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 03:30 PM   #215
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

I had a friend who died young, and whose parents, when prayer failed to bring him back to life, blamed themselves for their lack of faith.

This was without prodding from some other party. If the psychic fails to find a child, any doubting at all by the parent may be seized upon by the parasite, to actively cast blame on the parent, induce guilt to motivate further payment, and to keep the leech's record intact.

I think that, once you have a few stories up there, people will see the extent to which the vultures have lied to them, and will eventually open up and share their own stories of victimization by these tapeworms.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 03:50 PM   #216
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I had a friend who died young, and whose parents, when prayer failed to bring him back to life, blamed themselves for their lack of faith.
I know a woman who says if you pray hard enough, you'll get the answers. I find it insulting.

This was without prodding from some other party. If the psychic fails to find a child, any doubting at all by the parent may be seized upon by the parasite, to actively cast blame on the parent, induce guilt to motivate further payment, and to keep the leech's record intact..
In one of my own stories, which I will lead with, this very thing happened. I was appalled that the psychic would try to turn my own family member against me.

I think that, once you have a few stories up there, people will see the extent to which the vultures have lied to them, and will eventually open up and share their own stories of victimization by these tapeworms.
I have one story submitted, and 4 others promised. Perhaps after seeing mine, some will come clean about it.
Old 26th February 2006, 03:53 PM   #217
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

If John Walsh hadn't decided there might be some value in "psychics," he had a great story in his book Tears of Rage, which pretty much summed it all up.

I'll post the pertinent points here if it's legal, and appropriate.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 05:11 PM   #218
prewitt81
Notoriously Glorious

I'd like to help in any way possible. This summer marks 10 years since my cousin Morgan Violi was kidnapped and murdered. I remember vividly when my aunt was told that a psychic was interested in the case. I wasn't the hardcore skeptic that I am now, but I never bought into psychic phenomena. I wanted to speak up against the idea, but decided that it wasn't my place.

I've regretted it ever since. I'd like the opportunity to redeem myself. I'll mod a forum, if you have it, or anything else that I could do to help (even if it's just to donate money).

"If we want to teach the Moon is green cheese then we'll do it!" -- Eric Hovind defending his father's pro-creationist stance. (http://www.kent-hovind.com/)

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

prewitt81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 05:20 PM   #219
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

The weird thing about what you posted, prewitt, is that the suspect looks like a guy I used to work with. (Except the dude I worked with had no chin, and drove a very late model Dodge pickup.) I doubt it's the same person, but then, you never can tell. I'll keep an eye peeled.

If he's killed once, he'll do it again.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 05:23 PM   #220
prewitt81
Notoriously Glorious

I had a hard time letting go of the concept of Hell simply because this guy is still walking around. What I wouldn't do for just three swings with a Louisville Slugger. . .

"If we want to teach the Moon is green cheese then we'll do it!" -- Eric Hovind defending his father's pro-creationist stance. (http://www.kent-hovind.com/)

prewitt81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 05:27 PM   #221
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by prewitt81 View Post
I'd like to help in any way possible. This summer marks 10 years since my cousin Morgan Violi was kidnapped and murdered. I remember vividly when my aunt was told that a psychic was interested in the case. I wasn't the hardcore skeptic that I am now, but I never bought into psychic phenomena. I wanted to speak up against the idea, but decided that it wasn't my place.

I've regretted it ever since. I'd like the opportunity to redeem myself. I'll mod a forum, if you have it, or anything else that I could do to help (even if it's just to donate money).
Welcome, Prewitt81.

What a beautiful child! I am sorry your family has endured this tragedy, and then also not to have the killer(s) brought to justice.

It's obvious that psychics could not resolve the case. Is it possible that the family would come forward with their story at this time, or would it cause problems with relationships or great pain to ask?

I will be starting a series on the topic on my blog in early March. In conjunction with that, we'll release to the public the related website. At this time, we have not made a decision about having a forum there. We may just start out with basic info, and then add on from there.

We would be happy to have your help in whatever manner you feel appropriate.

Thank you.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/
Old 26th February 2006, 05:30 PM   #222
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
If he's killed once, he'll do it again.
Who knows how many serial killers are free, looking for their next victim. It's funny how psychics can't smoke them out.
Old 26th February 2006, 05:45 PM   #223
prewitt81
Notoriously Glorious

Kelly,

We don't see my aunt much these days as she was married into the family until my uncle (who wasn't Morgan's father) passed away. I have probably only seen her a handfull of times since the tragedy happened, and have been timid to bring the subject up. Yet I have always wondered if she ever went through with the psychic consultation, what was said, and what she thinks of psychics now. Perhaps once the website is launched, I can try to contact her through one of my cousins to let her look and see what she thinks.

That's probably the best I can do on that front at the moment.

Jeff Prewitt

Old 26th February 2006, 07:38 PM   #224
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by prewitt81 View Post
Kelly,

We don't see my aunt much these days as she was married into the family until my uncle (who wasn't Morgan's father) passed away. I have probably only seen her a handfull of times since the tragedy happened, and have been timid to bring the subject up. Yet I have always wondered if she ever went through with the psychic consultation, what was said, and what she thinks of psychics now. Perhaps once the website is launched, I can try to contact her through one of my cousins to let her look and see what she thinks.

That's probably the best I can do on that front at the moment.

Jeff Prewitt
Be sure to hang around, Jeff, for when the times comes and we need you. You have that unique perpective in that you understand on a personal level. Thank you.
Old 27th February 2006, 11:35 AM   #225
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

OK, first I stink at tech stuff.

Second, I can't print:
http://www.projectjason.org/comehome.html
without losing the right side last few letters. It might be me.

I did selection out the text to print, but is this my problem or a site problem?

...and I apologize for not reading posts after last Friday, I will later.
Katachresis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2006, 11:44 AM   #226
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Katachresis View Post

Second, I can't print:

I did selection out the text to print, but is this my problem or a site problem?

This is something I've always wondered how to do. I think it might have to do with the screen resolution, but I am not sure.

Anyone else for this question? Thanks, K!
Old 27th February 2006, 12:40 PM   #227
sophia8
Master Poster

Second, I can't print:

Try going to Page Setup in your printer options and narrowing the margins.
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2006, 01:05 PM   #228
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

Tried that, same result.
Katachresis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2006, 01:44 PM   #229
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

Kelly, I wanted to let you know that as far as your main goal, bringing a skeptic eye to psychics and the missing, I cannot help. But I know others here will, so that's good.

Instead I have been working on the Come Home part here in Boston. Doing the leg work, and making the calls. Today was actually great. I've made contacts in 2 shelters, and once I'm sure of my footing there, I will find others.

I wish I could help on the skeptic front, but, hey, I'll do what I can.

As always, you pick your battles. This small part is a battle I choose to fight.
Old 27th February 2006, 01:51 PM   #230
Kelly
Philosopher

Kelly, I wanted to let you know that as far as your main goal, bringing a skeptic eye to psychics and the missing, I cannot help. But I know others here will, so that's good.

Instead I have been working on the Come Home part here in Boston. Doing the leg work, and making the calls. Today was actually great. I've made contacts in 2 shelters, and once I'm sure of my footing there, I will find others.

I wish I could help on the skeptic front, but, hey, I'll do what I can.

As always, you pick your battles. This small part is a battle I choose to fight.
That works for me. The more shelters we have on the program, the more effective. It seems there are quite a few here willing to help with the psychics, so we're good to go there.

I'm sure Boston has quite a few shelters, but we've never once been able to get one to sign up. The NE part of the country doesn't lack shelters, but we seem to do better in the south with sign-ups. Perhaps we can make up some ground.

Thank you!
Old 27th February 2006, 01:55 PM   #231
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

Then stop staring at me.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:02 PM   #232
Kelly
Philosopher

Then stop staring at me.
I have to keep watch somehow when I am not able to be here.
Old 28th February 2006, 01:11 AM   #233
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Second, I can't print:
without losing the right side last few letters.
One solution is to change the page to landscape in page setup. Then it will print OK.

Another option is to highlight the text, press Cntl C to copy to the clipboard then go to Word and press Cntl V to paste. It will print OK there.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2006, 07:30 AM   #234
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
One solution is to change the page to landscape in page setup. Then it will print OK.

Another option is to highlight the text, press Cntl C to copy to the clipboard then go to Word and press Cntl V to paste. It will print OK there.
You might have to turn on word wrap before printing.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2006, 09:13 AM   #235
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
You might have to turn on word wrap before printing.
Is that Microsoft's version of saran wrap?
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2006, 10:25 AM   #236
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

what I did was highlight the text, file, print, and check the Selection button rather than the All button.
Old 28th February 2006, 12:22 PM   #237
Kelly
Philosopher

I heard from Tony Youens today. He said he would do a write up and post a link down the road. (Thanks, Cabby)

I also received a story from one of my families. I thought my experience was bad enough, but when I read this one, mine was a walk in the park!
Old 28th February 2006, 02:22 PM   #238
Katachresis
Learning to Fly

OK, back to business.

re:
Hello Kevin - Thank you for making me aware of the missing persons locator
through "Project Jason" I have forwarded the same information along to
...snip...
New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans.

Kelly, is there anything else you need regarding this shelter?

Also, I still haven't heard from the other shelter I mentioned. 2 phone calls and one email. I think tomorrow will be a face-to-face meeting. I'll wear a nice tie, and my new super cool raincoat. It makes me feel like Neo in "the Matrix".
Old 28th February 2006, 05:01 PM   #239
Kelly
Philosopher

OK, back to business.

re:
Hello Kevin - Thank you for making me aware of the missing persons locator
through "Project Jason" I have forwarded the same information along to
...snip...
New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans.

Kelly, is there anything else you need regarding this shelter?

Also, I still haven't heard from the other shelter I mentioned. 2 phone calls and one email. I think tomorrow will be a face-to-face meeting. I'll wear a nice tie, and my new super cool raincoat. It makes me feel like Neo in "the Matrix".
I will contact them, Kevin, and find out which email addresses they want to use.

LOL on the "Neo" look. As to the 2nd shelter, I wouldn't go any further than that. Sometimes they're all wrapped up in privacy laws, and they can also have the perception that we have persons on the program who are not really missing, such as women hiding from abusive men, etc.

Thank you!
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:12 PM   #240
Kelly
Philosopher

Cabby:

I think you need to write your "conversion" story for my blog series!

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight