JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 25th December 2012, 12:40 PM   #41
MNBrant
Master Poster

I to get religous delusions but its more of the "down there" variety. You know in beetlejuice where they get the what to do when your dead book. Well I have seen those books but mine were more of the how to enter hell variety. Of course you have to die to see those books so I thought I was dead through poisoning. In fact I went through the whole dead through poisoning thing at the hospital. I came back as was a zombie you see. I got that from seeing a snippet from a toshiba commercial. I just found it online and looked at it now and thought it looked extremely disturbing. I can't believe it was a real commercial but apparently it aired. It gets more complicated from there but it was no fun so I try to avoid religious delusions when I can.

Last edited by MNBrant; 25th December 2012 at 12:41 PM.
MNBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 09:46 PM   #42
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by MNBrant View Post
I to get religous delusions but its more of the "down there" variety. You know in beetlejuice where they get the what to do when your dead book. Well I have seen those books but mine were more of the how to enter hell variety. Of course you have to die to see those books so I thought I was dead through poisoning. In fact I went through the whole dead through poisoning thing at the hospital. I came back as was a zombie you see. I got that from seeing a snippet from a toshiba commercial. I just found it online and looked at it now and thought it looked extremely disturbing. I can't believe it was a real commercial but apparently it aired. It gets more complicated from there but it was no fun so I try to avoid religious delusions when I can.
I'm not entirely unlike you, or D.D.
I went out in the desert and fasted.
I got rid of all my possessions, several times.
I was a nut case.
Now, a hermit.

My special craziness was dolphins.
They spoke to me.

I'm not even sure that what I heard was wrong.
My craziness has become largely irrelevant.

Is that a form of sanity?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #43
MNBrant
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I'm not entirely unlike you, or D.D.
I went out in the desert and fasted.
I got rid of all my possessions, several times.
I was a nut case.
Now, a hermit.

My special craziness was dolphins.
They spoke to me.

I'm not even sure that what I heard was wrong.
My craziness has become largely irrelevant.

Is that a form of sanity?
Hmm, I cant sit around being psychotic anymore. I would rather take the pills. If dolphins were talking to me, it would take something really interesting for me to listen. Your right, if you are a hermit and the voices aren't keeping you up and making you crazy, then you shouldn't take the pills since most of the pills are crap.
MNBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 04:33 AM   #44
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jonesboy View Post
You must be an American. Only americans dote on psychiatry, their drugs and empty intrigues of disease this and disease that. Man up.

There's nothing wrong with you.
That is why there is no one with schizophrenia where you live. Just 1% of the population you would rather have suffer. Your evidence that schizophrenia doesn't exist is?

Lacking.

-outdated Thomas Szasz
-specious bug pharma arguemnts
-ignorance

Diabetes, heart disease and cancer don't exist either?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #45
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
That is why there is no one with schizophrenia where you live. Just 1% of the population you would rather have suffer. Your evidence that schizophrenia doesn't exist is?

Lacking.

-outdated Thomas Szasz
-specious bug pharma arguemnts
-ignorance

Diabetes, heart disease and cancer don't exist either?
That's something that just now made me think: cutting-edge cancer treaments (the ones that most likely to be given to the most desparate patients) can be hundreds of thousands of dollars* and insurance often doesn't cover any of the expense, but many fewer people are likely to claim that cancer isn't real and those that do are much more likely to be laughed off as ignorant.

*kinda make thw $140 I pay for Viibryd a month seem like a pittance.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2012, 04:13 PM   #46
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mijopaalmc View Post
That's something that just now made me think: cutting-edge cancer treaments (the ones that most likely to be given to the most desparate patients) can be hundreds of thousands of dollars* and insurance often doesn't cover any of the expense, but many fewer people are likely to claim that cancer isn't real and those that do are much more likely to be laughed off as ignorant.

*kinda make thw $140 I pay for Viibryd a month seem like a pittance.
I am lucky, sertraline works well for me, and I can get it at Walmart for a very low price.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology