JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags iPhone 5

Reply
Old 19th November 2013, 05:07 AM   #841
quadraginta
What was the question?
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 9,436
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
You must have got lucky... Is it a Samsung? I still nearly wet myself

What an odd reaction. Counseling may help. (Although it does explain a lot.)

Quote:

when Samsung were forced to stop copying 'pinch to zoom',

Samsung was dinged for using a particular method to achieve 'pinch to zoom' on some models. 'Pinch to zoom' itself was not the patent violation. Hope that helps.

Quote:

and replaced it with 'tilt to zoom', where you had to put two fingers on the screen, tilt the phone and stand on one leg under a full moon (or something) in order to zoom.
<snip>

Is this related to the wetting yourself thing. Therapy may not be enough.

I use 'pinch to zoom' on my Note 2 all the time. Posture and astronomy don't seem to be involved. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."

Last edited by quadraginta; 19th November 2013 at 05:09 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 10:36 AM   #842
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
[quote=Darat;9634689]http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2013/11...y-q3-2013.html

Odd, as I found this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09...lips_in_us_uk/

Not quite a 2:1 ratio, as in your link - and the gap is closing, apparently. Statistics, eh?!

Mind you, given that Apple sell only 3 high end smartphones, and Samsung currently have around 43 phones of varying price and quality (5 different S4 models alone), the fact that it was only a 2:1 ratio reflects quite poorly on Samsung, if anything.

Incidentally, if you do a search for smartphones at carphonewarehouse.co.uk, and filter the search to show 'best selling', guess what 2 phones top the list - go on!

http://m.carphonewarehouse.com/mt/ww...dtohome_hidden

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I doubt it given the stats.
Doubt is healthy, but in this case, I'd suggest it smacks of some sort of vine-grown fruit that isn't quite ripe yet.

Bearing in mind that in my job, all my colleagues and friends tend to have a fairly high degree of disposable income (subsidised accommodation; subsidised food costs; low council tax), and that I also live in a very affluent area near Cambridge, it's not surprising that these people opt for quality over quantity.

I'll have a quiet word with them though for not conforming to your statistics. How very dare they?!


Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ever heard of confirmation biasWP
Yes. Every heard of desperation to prove a point? Are you suggesting that I'm wilfully ignoring friends who own Android devices? Pretending they don't exist?

If it makes you feel better though, and reinforces your world-view, then don't stop believin'!
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 10:44 AM   #843
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
iPhone 5

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What an odd reaction. Counseling may help. (Although it does explain a lot.)
British colloquialism, usually spoken thus: "I nearly p1ssed meself laughing, it was that funny!"

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Samsung was dinged for using a particular method to achieve 'pinch to zoom' on some models. 'Pinch to zoom' itself was not the patent violation. Hope that helps.
Interesting - wasn't aware of that.

However, still doesn't alter that Samsung were forced to come up with a lame alternative for the SIII, and then tried to hold it up as a 'feature' over the iPhone 5! That never stops being funny!

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I use 'pinch to zoom' on my Note 2 all the time. Posture and astronomy don't seem to be involved. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Not if you're doing it the way Apple showed everyone how it should be done!
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 10:56 AM   #844
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,912
note - quotes fixed by me.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I mentioned Waze upthread. You might want to check it out. It's a social network based mapping and navigation app that lets members report local traffic conditions as they occur as well as contribute to map corrections and additions.

If you live anywhere of even modest population density I expect you'll be surprised to learn how many people are partifipating. I know I was (in the Ral./Dur./Chapel Hill area of NC). It's a lot more timely on traffic problems than anything else I've seen, even to the point of warning about disabled vehicles on the roadside and speed traps.
Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
So at Darat's link it was about 2:1 android vs. iOS market share (58 to 27)

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Odd, as I found this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09...lips_in_us_uk/

Not quite a 2:1 ratio, as in your link - and the gap is closing, apparently. Statistics, eh?!
Eh? So it moved a little to 55:31, as Apple no doubt gained share with iPhone 5S and C phones. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Mind you, given that Apple sell only 3 high end smartphones, and Samsung currently have around 43 phones of varying price and quality (5 different S4 models alone), the fact that it was only a 2:1 ratio reflects quite poorly on Samsung, if anything.
You have a strange concept of market share. If Coke sells 55 flavors, and Pepsi sells 5, you still aggregate them all to calculate market share.

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Incidentally, if you do a search for smartphones at carphonewarehouse.co.uk, and filter the search to show 'best selling', guess what 2 phones top the list - go on!
More anecdotal evidence - go on!

Quote:
Doubt is healthy, but in this case, I'd suggest it smacks of some sort of vine-grown fruit that isn't quite ripe yet.


Quote:
Bearing in mind that in my job, all my colleagues and friends tend to have a fairly high degree of disposable income (subsidised accommodation; subsidised food costs; low council tax), and that I also live in a very affluent area near Cambridge, it's not surprising that these people opt for quality over quantity.

I'll have a quiet word with them though for not conforming to your statistics. How very dare they?!
They're not Darat's statistics. They're the statistics. You're arguing from personal anecdote. See "No one I know voted for Nixon" for an example.



Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Yes. Every heard of desperation to prove a point? Are you suggesting that I'm wilfully ignoring friends who own Android devices? Pretending they don't exist?

If it makes you feel better though, and reinforces your world-view, then don't stop believin'!
Posting accurate data to refute your anecdotal claims isn't about making anyone feel better or their world view, except for a skeptical world view perhaps. You're making claims about your facebook friends and co-workers. So what is your point?

I have a Macbook Pro, an iPhone and an iPad, and I still do not understand these fanboy knee-jerk defenses of the company any more than I understand the "resist the apple cult" people. They're just devices. Tools. Their market share is their market share, no matter who your friends are.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 11:46 AM   #845
Darat
Lackey
JREF Forum Liaison
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 67,493
I make part of my income on consulting services to gaming and lifestyle app developers, my everyday phones are now a 5S and a S4 and most days I will also be using a Windows device. I love being able to use the right tool for the right job. I am a complete tart when it comes to technology, the only thing I am interested in (professionally) is making money from it!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 12:12 PM   #846
quadraginta
What was the question?
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 9,436
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
...
I am a complete tart
...

We can quote you on that?
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 12:31 PM   #847
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
So at Darat's link it was about 2:1 android vs. iOS market share (58 to 27)


Eh? So it moved a little to 55:31, as Apple no doubt gained share with iPhone 5S and C phones. Makes sense.


You have a strange concept of market share. If Coke sells 55 flavors, and Pepsi sells 5, you still aggregate them all to calculate market share.
Actually, I have made a mistake. Both links refer to 'Android' sales - not 'Samsung'; so if we say Samsung are selling about 43 Android Smartphones, and the other manufacturers account for, say - 20 models? We're talking about 60+ available flavours of Android vs 3 flavours of Apple. A 2:1 ratio is supposed to be impressive?


Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
More anecdotal evidence - go on!




They're not Darat's statistics. They're the statistics. You're arguing from personal anecdote. See "No one I know voted for Nixon" for an example.

Posting accurate data to refute your anecdotal claims isn't about making anyone feel better or their world view, except for a skeptical world view perhaps. You're making claims about your facebook friends and co-workers. So what is your point?
And the statistics I posted were also 'the statistics' - if I was making any point at all, it was about the nature of statistics.

This is one of the things that irritates me about JREF; outside of the Community Forums, it can be very difficult to have a conversation. I have never said that my anecdotes are anything other than that - simply observations based on personal experience relevant to the thread. I have not used an anecdote as evidence of anything, hence my regular use of the acronym 'YMMV'.

People post statistics, and my anecdotes are simply my real world perspective, which I include as a point of interest if it contradicts the statistics. Nowhere have I said "Those statistics are wrong because..."; I simply put forward an anecdote as a basis for conversation; or do you really believe that if I gathered a random crowd of 20 people together and asked to see their smartphones that for every one iPhone produced you'd see 2 Android phones?!

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I have a Macbook Pro, an iPhone and an iPad, and I still do not understand these fanboy knee-jerk defenses of the company any more than I understand the "resist the apple cult" people. They're just devices. Tools. Their market share is their market share, no matter who your friends are.
I don't actively go out of my way to defend Apple, but I have grown very tired of some Android users hijacking threads to have a dig at Apple fans, so lately, I have been a lot more vocal. If you look at many of the Samsung/Android/Apple threads in this sub-forum, you'll see that the majority of flame wars or arguments are started by trolling Android/Samsung fans. A good example is the S4 thread discussing the imminent launch - one of the first posts after the OP was just blatant anti-Apple trolling.

ANECDOTE ALERT: Nearly every article I have read on the net regarding Apple, if you go to the comments section, there's always at least one Android user randomly trolling, apropos of nothing. I've just grown a bit tired of it and - as I said - become a bit more vocal.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 12:35 PM   #848
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I make part of my income on consulting services to gaming and lifestyle app developers, my everyday phones are now a 5S and a S4 and most days I will also be using a Windows device. I love being able to use the right tool for the right job. I am a complete tart when it comes to technology, the only thing I am interested in (professionally) is making money from it!
I am also a complete techno-whore; I have cupboards full of 'the next big thing', like 3D camcorders and such. I went through a very expensive phase whereby I had to have the latest and fastest GFX card for my PC; nowadays it's not even switched on once a month.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 05:56 PM   #849
OnlyTellsTruths
 
OnlyTellsTruths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,645
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Ever heard of confirmation biasWP
Yes. Every heard of desperation to prove a point? Are you suggesting that I'm wilfully ignoring friends who own Android devices? Pretending they don't exist?

I hope you realize that you say "Yes" that you have heard of it, but then your next sentences tell us that you haven't.
__________________
________________________
OnlyTellsTruths is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 12:19 AM   #850
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
I hope you realize that you say "Yes" that you have heard of it, but then your next sentences tell us that you haven't.
Or it could mean "Yes I have heard of it. Can you clarify exactly what you're suggesting?"

Darat didn't outright accuse me of confirmation bias, so I thought clarification might be in order.

Does that clear that one up?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 03:02 AM   #851
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
OK - you couldn't make this one up (well, you could; but I'm not):

ANECDOTE ALERT: I was selling my iPad 2 on a local FB buy/sell page, and a lady came round to buy it this morning. Very chatty. She said she was buying the iPad for her son because she'd bought him a "Samsung gadget, because it was cheap", but he didn't really use it and he really wanted an iPad "because all his friends have iPads, iPhones or iPods". She then continued "not really sure why I bought it, because everything else in my house is Apple - apart from the TV, which is Samsung" (she had an iPhone, just for the record - and had used Apple Maps to find my place). She then said her son would be really happy with the iPad, and she would probably use the "Samsung gadget herself with the TV". I then gave her a demo of Apple TV, and guess what she's off to buy now?!
ANECDOTE ENDS.

Bearing in mind the discussion I've been having on here, I (once again) nearly p1ssed meself laughing!
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 05:54 AM   #852
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
OK - you couldn't make this one up (well, you could; but I'm not):

ANECDOTE ALERT: I was selling my iPad 2 on a local FB buy/sell page, and a lady came round to buy it this morning. Very chatty. She said she was buying the iPad for her son because she'd bought him a "Samsung gadget, because it was cheap", but he didn't really use it and he really wanted an iPad "because all his friends have iPads, iPhones or iPods". She then continued "not really sure why I bought it, because everything else in my house is Apple - apart from the TV, which is Samsung" (she had an iPhone, just for the record - and had used Apple Maps to find my place). She then said her son would be really happy with the iPad, and she would probably use the "Samsung gadget herself with the TV". I then gave her a demo of Apple TV, and guess what she's off to buy now?!
ANECDOTE ENDS.

Bearing in mind the discussion I've been having on here, I (once again) nearly p1ssed meself laughing!
Go on. Do tell more. Stories are fun.
You should write a book.
These tales have almost convinced me that apple products are the best.

If you are not working in sales you should be, think of the fortune in commissions you would make selling apple products to your friends and random strangers.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 07:05 AM   #853
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,912
I guess that the thread topic is general enough for people to tell stories, but I too don't see the point. Is there a point? If 20 million people buy something, there are 20 million stories. And?

Here's mine - my iPhone, which I left somewhere like an idiot, is being FedExed to me today.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 08:10 AM   #854
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,492
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I guess that the thread topic is general enough for people to tell stories, but I too don't see the point. Is there a point? If 20 million people buy something, there are 20 million stories. And?

Here's mine - my iPhone, which I left somewhere like an idiot, is being FedExed to me today.
No kidding, someone returned it ?

Always good to hear a story like that with a happy ending. Especially knowing one of my kids may play the role of idiot in the next story :-)
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 08:16 AM   #855
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
iPhone 5

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Go on. Do tell more. Stories are fun.
You should write a book.
These tales have almost convinced me that apple products are the best.

If you are not working in sales you should be, think of the fortune in commissions you would make selling apple products to your friends and random strangers.
Oh bless - would you like me to post some statistics, or make some claims you can get your teeth into and try and prove wrong?

I remember saying to Cuddles a long, long time ago that "there's more to being a sceptic than simply demanding evidence for everything". I didn't word that quite right; what I was trying to say was that many people on this forum treat scepticism like some sort of dick-measuring competition - "Look! Look at me! Look how sceptical I can be!" So much so that (in the context of this forum) they've forgotten how to have a simple conversation.

ETA: By the way; I sold her my iPad - the Apple TV sold itself.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 20th November 2013 at 08:45 AM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 08:37 AM   #856
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I guess that the thread topic is general enough for people to tell stories, but I too don't see the point. Is there a point? If 20 million people buy something, there are 20 million stories. And?

Here's mine - my iPhone, which I left somewhere like an idiot, is being FedExed to me today.
Damn you were lucky there!
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 09:10 AM   #857
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NeverLand
Posts: 12,394
My story:

My sister got a Windows phone.

I have not spoken to her since.
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 09:18 AM   #858
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
My story:

My sister got a Windows phone.

I have not spoken to her since.
Quite right. She should be happy that you're even acknowledging her publicly as your sister.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2013, 07:34 AM   #859
kajata
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
My story:

My sister got a Windows phone.

I have not spoken to her since.
Has she tried restarting her phone?
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 03:51 PM   #860
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,022
iPhone 5 won't play LiveLeak videos anymore. It started a couple weeks ago. I can get as far as the video being ready to play but I cannot activate the triangular Play icon at all. No kind of touch or poke will cause it to play. If I place and hold my finger on the icon for about 5 seconds I may get a notice of 'Copy' or may not - but it won't play. No similar problems with other apps. Ideas?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 11:49 PM   #861
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
iPhone 5 won't play LiveLeak videos anymore. It started a couple weeks ago. I can get as far as the video being ready to play but I cannot activate the triangular Play icon at all. No kind of touch or poke will cause it to play. If I place and hold my finger on the icon for about 5 seconds I may get a notice of 'Copy' or may not - but it won't play. No similar problems with other apps. Ideas?
Are you updated to iOS 7.0.4?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 11:57 PM   #862
Hungry81
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
iPhone 5 won't play LiveLeak videos anymore. It started a couple weeks ago. I can get as far as the video being ready to play but I cannot activate the triangular Play icon at all. No kind of touch or poke will cause it to play. If I place and hold my finger on the icon for about 5 seconds I may get a notice of 'Copy' or may not - but it won't play. No similar problems with other apps. Ideas?
You're using it wrong. It's just working.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 11:59 PM   #863
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
You're using it wrong. It's just working.
Yeah, that'll help him.

You can get back under your bridge now.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 05:17 AM   #864
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,022
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Are you updated to iOS 7.0.4?
Yes.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 06:17 AM   #865
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Yes.
Is Liveleak an app or web-based?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 06:50 AM   #866
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,022
Web based.

ETA: I just installed the app for it and that works.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 25th November 2013 at 06:55 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 10:55 AM   #867
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Web based.

ETA: I just installed the app for it and that works.
Either it didn't like safari, or summat was up with the website.
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 11:01 AM   #868
kajata
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post
Either it didn't like safari, or summat was up with the website.
I just tried that website on my iPhone (using Safari).

Worked with no problems.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 11:04 AM   #869
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Master Poster
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,978
Originally Posted by kajata View Post
I just tried that website on my iPhone (using Safari).

Worked with no problems.
Odd. Maybe a temp glitch on the site that's cleared up, or a strange phone glitch.

Sometimes this forum refuses to load/refresh on Tapatalk, Safari or IE - I just have to wait an hour or so and it clears up. Wonder if it was one of those oddities?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.