JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 24th January 2013, 04:22 PM   #1
nois forme
Scholar

Lost wireless connectivity - any ideas?

Hey all - connectivity issue here. My sis has this small Aspire One D255E laptop (running Win7 starter, Intel 1.66, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD). For a year or better, she has been wirelessly connected to her local network, via a Linksys E2000 router without issue.

Rather suddenly a couple of weeks back, she found she had no connection. There were no changes to this network that I'm aware (the users don't even know how to change settings online for said network if they wanted to). Available networks show up on the list (hers and a couple of unsecured neighbors I believe). Despite full bars for her local deal, clicking 'connect' has no visible effect. Nothing happens. Not like a 'failed to connect' or something, just...nothing.

I went through various steps such as
1) rebooting the modem, router, and her laptop
2) 'hard' reset router at power up
3) uninstalled network adapter(s) and reinstalled - with the company site's latest drivers - they installed, and 'ready to use' appeared
4) *ran the various (fairly useless) diagnostics which essentially told me I hadn't selected a network...which I had...repeatedly

*This last step did indicate at one point that the adapter was not plugged in(?). There appears to be no external switch, button, etc for the adapter on this laptop like there are on some. I'm not at all sure what it means that it would have become 'unplugged' if it's an internal device. I've since repeated (at least) all steps 1-4 several times out of frustration.

After failed attempts to fix this, her friend swapped out the router with another, though I didn't think that was the problem. She says she had connectivity for about two days after that, and then back where she was. The laptop 'sees' the network(s), it has full bars, but will not connect.

I just brought it home to try it out on my own network (also a Linksys 2000). Same thing. It sees it fine, and the signal is 'excellent' (my connection and hers are both unsecured by the way), but nothing when I click connect.

So, what the hell is going on? Anyone know? She's about to 'take it in' and I'd hate for her to drop cash on what might be a simple setting of some sort. My knowledge of wireless tech (and Win 7 for that matter) is slim to nil, and I'm outta' ideas. Thanks for any suggestions!
nois forme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
TheL8Elvis
Illuminator

fn+f3 turns on/off wifi. Did you try that ?

eta: fn + f7 turns the trackpad off. I went a little nuts for a while trying to figure that one out. Sounds just like your post...

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 24th January 2013 at 05:24 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
nois forme
Scholar

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
fn+f3 turns on/off wifi. Did you try that ?

eta: fn + f7 turns the trackpad off. I went a little nuts for a while trying to figure that one out. Sounds just like your post...
Damn, no. Heh. Thanks though, it was the only smidge of hope I've had as of late, and I learned something. No luck though, it was already on.
nois forme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Dessi
Species Traitor

Originally Posted by nois forme View Post
So, what the hell is going on? Anyone know? She's about to 'take it in' and I'd hate for her to drop cash on what might be a simple setting of some sort. My knowledge of wireless tech (and Win 7 for that matter) is slim to nil, and I'm outta' ideas. Thanks for any suggestions!
Something like this happened to me last year: I'd recently purchased a house, subscribed to internet, and everything was hunky dory for 6 weeks. Then BAM! Nothing. No internetz. I can't live with my internetz.

I went through my usual routine for troubleshooting these problems. Tried multiple computers through Wifi and directly through the router. Had to call the cable company, turned out a technician had stopped by and disconnected my internet. What?

I purchased the house from another person. When they moved out, they put in a disconnect request, which was fulfilled about 6 weeks after I moved in.

How recently have you moved into your home? And have you paid all of your bills on time? Have you called your cable company?
Old 25th January 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Olowkow
Philosopher

This is a longshot given the symptoms listed, but...

I had a LinkSys wireless, forgot the model, and I discovered after spending days trying to figure out why it was not working, that the software truncates the last one of the 25 digits of the passcode on one of two the screens, but not on the other. I was entering only 24 digits meticulously many times, and didn't notice that until I carefully counted the characters! I called the company, and told them, "OK, thanks, we never noticed that."
Old 25th January 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
nois forme
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dessi View Post
...turned out a technician had stopped by and disconnected my internet. What?
Ha! Maddening. But no, I should have mentioned that other PCs on the network connect fine. Just this little trouble maker...

On some half a dozen forums now with lots of suggestions, but no joy. Still searching. Thx
Old 25th January 2013, 07:10 PM   #7
nois forme
Scholar

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I was entering only 24 digits meticulously many times, ...
Ugh. What a headache! I don't believe that's going on here. She's never needed to actually enter anything on this network in the past (it's unsecured). She just logs onto her windows and it auto-connects. So not sure. The search goes on... Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Yalius
Critical Thinker

System Restore to a month ago and call it a day.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

Charlie Wilkes has a birthday
The same thing happened to my neighbor with an Asus netbook. We couldn't connect when we booted to Linux, so we finally decided it was a hardware failure. He got a USB wireless adapter for $15 or so, and that worked.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Ouch, always hard to say at a distance connectivity is a long train.

Sounds like the card died, or glitchy.

You could try a firmware update on the card.

Can you ping the router from that machine?
Run>cmd>ping 192.168.1.1 (your router may vary)
Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

Sounds like a dead card or one that needs to be reseated, laptops are a pain to open and service.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Location: Slightly Over The Hill, Not Too Far Around The Bend
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Sounds like a dead card or one that needs to be reseated, laptops are a pain to open and service.
Trying to reseat the card isn't a bad idea; you can find videos on disassembling many laptop models on YouTube.

If what David recommends doesn't work, or you'd rather not get into taking it apart, I'd go with what Charlie Wilkes said and buy a USB wireless adapter.

Last edited by BazBear; 28th January 2013 at 09:31 AM.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet