JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags content , errors , google , graphics , wordpress

Old 18th November 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Zelenius
Muse

Important content blocked on some websites, how can I fix this?

I use Linux Mint 11 Katya and Firefox 16.0.2 is my browser.

For some reason, some content doesn't load or is hidden on certain websites. For instance, that new Google feature that shows the 6 websites you use the most when you first visit the site doesn't work right; instead, I get 6 blank rectangles where the websites should be showing. Clicking on them does nothing.

Even worse, in Wordpress, the screen that has the menu bar with "reader", "notifications", "stats", "my blog" and the settings doesn't work at all either. Underneath the menu bar, I get a blank white rectangle where all the content is supposed to be shown(I am new to Wordpress, so this is how it has always been). I can still blog, but I have so many limitations. I never get error messages.

What makes this especially annoying is that Firefox works perfectly on my roommate's user account on the same PC. And he knows a lot less about computers than I do. He's as shocked as I am. Wordpress works perfectly on his account, and so does Google.

I've already started Firefox in safe mode. This does nothing to fix the problem. I've already turned off all the add-ons and extensions and turned off page-tweak and ad-blocker. This also does nothing. I've looked and looked at my roommate's Firefox settings to see if anything is different, but all the settings are identical. I very rarely use a proxy server.

What is the most likely cause? How can I fix this?
Zelenius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #2
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I am bumping just hoping this will come to the attention of someone who can help you - unfortunately I am not that person - but I hope you find what you need quickly!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Wudang
BOFH

Guessing : the linux FF has "do not track" turned on
or has Ghostery or another LSO-blocker.
Firefox - Privacy -> History would be the key setting,
I think there's a general internet history setting in Mint separate from firefox's but I don't have Mint installed anywhere just now.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Zelenius
Muse

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Guessing : the linux FF has "do not track" turned on
or has Ghostery or another LSO-blocker.
Firefox - Privacy -> History would be the key setting,
I think there's a general internet history setting in Mint separate from firefox's but I don't have Mint installed anywhere just now.
I turned off "do not track" and I still have the same problem. I also do not have Ghostery.

Luckily I have no problems with the Jref site or Youtube.

Last edited by Zelenius; 19th November 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Zelenius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Zelenius
Muse

Screen-shot of Firefox applications:
Screenshot-5.jpg

Lots of strange programs here.

Last edited by Zelenius; 19th November 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Zelenius
Muse

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I am bumping just hoping this will come to the attention of someone who can help you - unfortunately I am not that person - but I hope you find what you need quickly!!!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 19th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Zelenius
Muse

Here is what happens with Wordpress:Screenshot-10.jpg
It just stays blank. Nothing ever loads. There's no indication anything is trying and failing to load.

And this is what happens with Google: Screenshot-800.jpg
It's the same story.

Last edited by Zelenius; 19th November 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #8
odeed
Critical Thinker

The only thing I can suggest is clean the web cache/cookies in Firefox options.

If the above does not work then try renaming the hidden Firefox folder (named /.firefox or /.mozilla I think) in your profile directory, then firefox should create a new folder with default settings next time you start it. If the pages work just copy over bookmark files and install the extensions.
odeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Try what odeed said first; another though is you might also install Opera as a test for your user account to isolate FF as the possible source of the problem.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet