IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #321
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Your descriptions of tasks above would indicate otherwise, unless you're deliberately trying to make things harder than they are.
Which of my examples is inaccurate?

Like what?
We've gone over this several times. Printer settings would be one of them. Read my past responses for the countless other examples.

They don't need to be pinned on windows 8 either, but just like windows 7 it makes them a lot quicker and easier to access.
For desktop machines, it is easier to access them with the classic Start Menu and Start button. My examples, in my previous post, made some of this clear.

I suppose that, if someone is the type of person who needs to "get used to" any operating system, then Windows 8 would be just fine. It's just another one to get used to. And, it's hard for someone like that to appreciate how objectively bad or good a UI design might be.

It's like someone with hardly any sensitive tastebuds would not be able to appreciate how bad or good something tastes, even if there are objective assessments to be made in that matter. (There is a science to objectively identifying why things taste good or bad. It's not entirely subjective. Just thought I'd mention that.)

Maybe that's what's going on, here.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 04:24 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
A funny thing is that some of the UI changes were things that I always wanted (e.g. the "flat", detailed 2D vs 3D eye-candy). But I actually seem to quite hate the design. Either the subtle 3D cues are helpful or I have become too accustomed to them.

No, I must protect my ideology from the real world! This was just a bad implementation of it. I'm sure.
I agree with you - I've been using Windowsblinds (or an equivalent) since Windows 95 days and on Windows 7 I was using a skin that did "flatten" the 3D effects so I would have thought I'd have liked the new standard "flat" design but I really don't.

But as you imply that's obviously not a subjective matter it's yet more evidence how terrible Windows 8 is....
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 08:01 AM   #323
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Windows 7.5 and 8 mobile are brilliant. Their biggest mistake there, apart from being way too late to market, is having the launches too close together and 7.5 not upgradeable to 8, so lots of people didn't buy while waiting.
Whatever the reasons, they blew it with mobile big time -- the biggest failure in the company's history (Microsoft Bob notwithstanding).

Quote:
Claiming Windows 8 as an attempt to play catchup is ridiculous, since afaik they're the only ones trying to do what W8 is trying to achieve.
One does not preclude the other.

As for them being the only ones -- the only ones doing something so dumb. Taking a UI optimized for a small screen and putting it on a large screen windowless.

Last edited by varwoche; 11th January 2013 at 08:29 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 09:45 AM   #324
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I agree with you - I've been using Windowsblinds (or an equivalent) since Windows 95 days and on Windows 7 I was using a skin that did "flatten" the 3D effects so I would have thought I'd have liked the new standard "flat" design but I really don't.

But as you imply that's obviously not a subjective matter it's yet more evidence how terrible Windows 8 is....

Well, you could still switch back to 7 and "flatten" your icons:

image hosting and hotlinking allowed and provided by 250kb.de

Last edited by Oliver; 11th January 2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Spoiler added
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 10:19 AM   #325
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Well, you could still switch back to 7 and "flatten" your icons:

http://250kb.de/u/130111/j/E9X7J5xv6efp.jpg
image hosting and hotlinking allowed and provided by 250kb.de

Eh? I said I'd been "flattening" the UI on Windows 7 before I upgraded to Windows 8....

And there is no way you will get me voluntarily downgrading to Windows 7, I like Windows 8's many improvements way too much. I still have to use Windows 7 for work and I hate having to leave Windows 8 and go back to Windows 7 - it really keeps fresh for me how improved Windows 8 is and how much more productive it is for me.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 12:13 PM   #326
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I would have thought I'd have liked the new standard "flat" design but I really don't.
I think it's the colors they chose, by default. A little on the gaudy side.

Anyway, there are some ways in which 3D effects do contribute to usability. Such as buttons "popping out" to indicate they can be "pushed in".

But, of course, you don't want to overdo it. If everything is all 3D and shaded, nothing stands out, anymore.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 12:25 PM   #327
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Whatever the reasons, they blew it with mobile big time -- the biggest failure in the company's history (Microsoft Bob notwithstanding).
Windows 8 phone is gorgeous and the best phone OS I've used. Picked up one a couple of weeks ago for my wife and about to get one for me. Be interesting to see if it overcomes perceptions

Quote:
As for them being the only ones -- the only ones doing something so dumb. Taking a UI optimized for a small screen and putting it on a large screen windowless.
Huh?

Assuming you're talking about MUI, it is optimized for touch (or motion) screens, not "small screens".
Old 11th January 2013, 12:36 PM   #328
Niggle
Basement Cat's
Evil Twin Skippy

Meh. Don't like Windows 8. Just had to buy a new printer because the old one couldn't talk to Windows 8. And, no, there was no driver available to compensate. I guess my printer is too old to be supported.

Anybody want to buy a perfectly-good Dell All-in-one printer with extra ink cartridges?

Oy.

-Remirol
Niggle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 02:27 PM   #329
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Assuming you're talking about MUI, it is optimized for touch (or motion) screens, not "small screens".
Given the low density of content, in most of its Apps, I would say it was largely optimized for small screens, as well. Tablet-sized screens, with touch interfaces.

When using the MUI on a large screen, (touch or otherwise), it ends up looking rather sparse.

Old 11th January 2013, 02:33 PM   #330
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
When using the MUI on a large screen, (touch or otherwise), it ends up looking rather sparse.
It doesn't on my XBox, and neither do the MUI apps I use like weather and news on my large desktop screen.
Old 11th January 2013, 04:35 PM   #331
Marcus
Illuminator

Just came across this, it's a list of hotkeys using the Windows key, looks pretty useful.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20128...nd-tricks.html
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2013, 09:32 PM   #332
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

It doesn't on my XBox, and neither do the MUI apps I use like weather and news on my large desktop screen.
I suppose using overly large icons and fonts is one way to hide what would otherwise be a sparse display, sometimes.

Old 12th January 2013, 01:45 AM   #333
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Niggle View Post
Meh. Don't like Windows 8. Just had to buy a new printer because the old one couldn't talk to Windows 8. And, no, there was no driver available to compensate. I guess my printer is too old to be supported.

Anybody want to buy a perfectly-good Dell All-in-one printer with extra ink cartridges?

Oy.
Don't Win7 drivers work?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2013, 03:18 AM   #334
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Huh?

The windowless aspect is suitable for a small screen, because there's no room for (readable) multiple windows obviously. On a large screen, metro hinders the sort of multi-tasking that Win users have been accustomed to for decades.
Old 12th January 2013, 04:57 AM   #335
icerat
Philosopher

The windowless aspect is suitable for a small screen, because there's no room for (readable) multiple windows obviously. On a large screen, metro hinders the sort of multi-tasking that Win users have been accustomed to for decades.
Which is why there's a desktop mode.
Old 12th January 2013, 05:01 AM   #336
elgarak
Illuminator

Except that the apps only work exclusively in desktop OR fullscreen/modern/metro mode. In particular, one cannot switch the latter into window mode.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2013, 05:04 AM   #337
icerat
Philosopher

I suppose using overly large icons and fonts is one way to hide what would otherwise be a sparse display, sometimes.
This doesn't look "sparse" with "overly large icons and fonts" to me. And I'm not even using the smallest font.

Old 12th January 2013, 09:27 AM   #338
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Believe me, I'm glad about that because one day soon I'll be required to upgrade, begrudgingly.

So here's the upgrade proposition: Win 8 ... Comes with (1) a crappy UI that hinders multi-tasking and (2) a UI that's more or less the same as Win7 but with some vexing quirks. Woo hoo, sign me up!?
Old 12th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #339
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Except that the apps only work exclusively in desktop OR fullscreen/modern/metro mode. In particular, one cannot switch the latter into window mode.

I'm probably misunderstanding, because you seem to be complaining that apps which are designed to work a certain way are working the way they were meant to. Metro apps aren't supposed to window in the desktop.

I have tiles for desktop apps that I've put at the very right of the metro screen (right beside the "Desktop" tile that Win8 put there. ) These open up into the desktop environment, windows and all.

Meanwhile, any app I have running, metro or desktop, is a hover and click away on the left side of the screen whether I'm in a metro app or the desktop, and all of the desktop apps I have running (windowed or not) are lined up in a very familiar task bar which politely slides out of sight unless I hover on it.

From where I sit (the couch) it's the best of both worlds. I can fire up desktop apps from the metro start screen and have as many windows as I want with apps that are written to work that way, and switch to any metro or desktop apps I've got running from any other metro app or the desktop, all with a click or two.

What's the downside?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2013, 12:06 PM   #340
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

This doesn't look "sparse" with "overly large icons and fonts" to me. And I'm not even using the smallest font.
Check out the Music, Weather, Travel, and some of the other built-in apps. for examples; as well as the Start Screen, Search Screen, and All Apps screen themselves.

Some 3rd party apps are not as sparse, I suppose. At least not anymore.

The built-in Maps app isn't, exactly, "sparse", as it fills the whole monitor nicely. The only problem is that the controls for manipulating it are, puzzlingly, off screen most of the time. The COULD HAVE EASILY put a lot more on screen for you to see and use.
Every other mapping software I have ever used doesn't hide their controls all the time, like that. Not even mobile versions. Not even GPS systems, which sometimes have really tiny screens.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What's the downside?
You don't see the downside in having two separate places to go, to get access to running applications? One of which is almost always off-screen?

If I can run Windows applications seemlessly on the Mac desktop, using Parallels or other VM software, why can't Modern UI/classic desktop apps be just as seemlessly integrated?

You know, in the early days of development they WERE integrated!! I recall the first time I put together a Metro App (as it was then called), as an exercise, under Windows 7. It ran perfectly fine on the Desktop: Had its own taskbar icon and everything, too. But, Microsoft deliberately decided to push them into their own world, shortly after that.
There is no technical reason why they needed to do so.

Old 12th January 2013, 05:51 PM   #341
icerat
Philosopher

Check out the Music, Weather, Travel, and some of the other built-in apps. for examples; as well as the Start Screen, Search Screen, and All Apps screen themselves.

Some 3rd party apps are not as sparse, I suppose. At least not anymore.
The app I showed was a built in app, News.

Here's weather, I love it. -

Quote:
You don't see the downside in having two separate places to go, to get access to running applications? One of which is almost always off-screen?
On a desktop it's an extremely minor inconvenience. On a hybrid it's a fantastic convenience.

Quote:
If I can run Windows applications seemlessly on the Mac desktop, using Parallels or other VM software, why can't Modern UI/classic desktop apps be just as seemlessly integrated?
I expect in Windows 9 there'll be better integration of the taskbars. Clearly they didn't want to change too much of the familiar desktop environment.
Old 12th January 2013, 05:53 PM   #342
icerat
Philosopher

So here's the upgrade proposition: Win 8 ... Comes with (1) a crappy UI that hinders multi-tasking and (2) a UI that's more or less the same as Win7 but with some vexing quirks. Woo hoo, sign me up!?
All depends what you want to focus on I suppose -

Win 8 ... comes with (1) a great touch interface and (2) a UI that's more or less the same as Windows 7 plus some great improvements.
Old 12th January 2013, 06:00 PM   #343
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I guess you love the look of wasted space, then.

On a desktop it's an extremely minor inconvenience. On a hybrid it's a fantastic convenience.
Which implies it is a bad design. Maybe not the most fatal of the bad design choices in Win8, but not something one would brag about, either.

Old 12th January 2013, 06:03 PM   #344
icerat
Philosopher

I guess you love the look of wasted space, then.
A year ago I bought a house in the countryside. I suppose you'd consider a lot of the view out my office window to be wasted space ...

Quote:
Which implies it is a bad design. Maybe not the most fatal of the bad design choices in Win8, but not something one would brag about, either.
I wouldn't say it's bad design. It's a good compromise for now.

Filling space just for the sake of filling space ... now that's bad design!
Old 12th January 2013, 06:45 PM   #345
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What's the downside?

<snip>

Not particularly, no. More so since the circumstances where that might occur ... i.e. two separate applications which I need to run in simultaneous windows being unable to accomodate that in Win8 ... are relatively slim. Certainly not enough to trash the whole OS.

OTOH, I never was all that enamored of having multiple different programs running simultaneously on the same screen to begin with. Too much clutter. In most cases the potential for distraction offset the inconvenience of a click or two to bring up a screen from the background. It was nice from time to time, but that's about it. The rest of the time it just wasted screen real estate. Switching with the task bar wasn't all that difficult or time consuming.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2013, 04:09 PM   #346
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Filling space just for the sake of filling space ... now that's bad design!
I wasn't suggesting they "fill in space for the sake of it". Even though this about the apps, not the UI, perhaps I should make myself a little clearer about this, using previous versions of Windows as examples:

Windows Vista introduced a Gadget Bar. You can have the weather information you needed: Nothing more, nothing less (well, within some limits). And the REST of the desktop could be filled with whatever you wanted: Applications, etc.

Windows 7 still has a Gadgets system, but it is not activated by default, is not advertised much, and it works a little differently.

Windows 8: If you want to see the weather on screen, it is either in 1/4 of that screen; or taking up all (or almost all) of it. In the later case, a lot of space is wasted.
In the earlier case, your access to info is limited. AND, you can't use that 1/4 screen for anything else (which is actually a UI limitation).

If you like wasted space, then stick with Windows 8. I'm just pointing out the design could have been better. That's all.

Old 13th January 2013, 05:16 PM   #347
icerat
Philosopher

I wasn't suggesting they "fill in space for the sake of it". Even though this about the apps, not the UI, perhaps I should make myself a little clearer about this, using previous versions of Windows as examples:

Windows Vista introduced a Gadget Bar. You can have the weather information you needed: Nothing more, nothing less (well, within some limits). And the REST of the desktop could be filled with whatever you wanted: Applications, etc.

Windows 7 still has a Gadgets system, but it is not activated by default, is not advertised much, and it works a little differently.

Windows 8: If you want to see the weather on screen, it is either in 1/4 of that screen; or taking up all (or almost all) of it. In the later case, a lot of space is wasted.
In the earlier case, your access to info is limited. AND, you can't use that 1/4 screen for anything else (which is actually a UI limitation).

If you like wasted space, then stick with Windows 8. I'm just pointing out the design could have been better. That's all.
Right, so in the past if I wanted to see the weather, I could have a small app on my desktop with little information, and to see it I'd have to go to the trouble of minimizing or resizing my screen.

Like most people, I gave up on desktop gadgets.

Now I just point my mouse in the top left corner, click on the weather icon that appears and get a fully featured weather app with much more information.

Yeah, it's terrible.

Btw, here's some comments from Steven Sinofsky about trends at CES 2013 -

Design language. The design language in use for both hardware and software is trending towards a clarity and minimalism–turning over the screen to the app and the customer. There’s a lot less glowing and translucency. Navigation is clearer. Touch gestures are assumed on any device and often are not readily apparent (that is designers are assuming you will figure out how to touch and tap to make stuff happen). And the use of the full screen for the task at hand is clearly dominant. Rather than gain “speed” or “power” via multitasking by arranging, widgets, picture in picture, and so on, the focus is on moving quickly between task-oriented screens. From program guides to elaborate settings on advanced A/V to apps for healthcare you can see this language. There is a new definition of productivity underway that’s sure to be the topic of a future post.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:48 PM   #348
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Like most people, I gave up on desktop gadgets.
I didn't mean to imply gadgets were the best way to do it. Microsoft could develop something better: Perhaps a more flexible UI that can can have multiple things taking up that 1/4 screen portion, or something.
I was only referring to the usage of space.

Design language. The design language in use for both hardware and software is trending towards a clarity and minimalism–turning over the screen to the app and the customer. There’s a lot less glowing and translucency. Navigation is clearer. Touch gestures are assumed on any device and often are not readily apparent (that is designers are assuming you will figure out how to touch and tap to make stuff happen). And the use of the full screen for the task at hand is clearly dominant. Rather than gain “speed” or “power” via multitasking by arranging, widgets, picture in picture, and so on, the focus is on moving quickly between task-oriented screens. From program guides to elaborate settings on advanced A/V to apps for healthcare you can see this language. There is a new definition of productivity underway that’s sure to be the topic of a future post.
Which applies to Touch devices.

This is not defending what Win8 did to the desktop/KVM users.

And, it does NOT defend many of the specific issues I brought up, such as how Search is done, or the lack of persistent clock, or the "screaming children" effect of the Start screen, or its lack of clarity on what is actually clickable (things are too flat, sometimes), etc. etc. etc.

I agree that new devices will require new ways of thinking about productivity. I agree with the trend. But, Windows 8 is still bad at doing that, in general.

Old 31st January 2013, 12:01 AM   #349
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

My new Windows 8 laptop arrived today... it's not as bad as I expected. Just as many have said, the familiar Windows UI, minus the start button, is underneath the idiotic phone UI.

The file structure is the same.

I had to create my own shutdown button, which is ridiculous.

More than anything, the metro UI reminds me of Packard Bell Navigator, from the mid-90s.

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/guis/pbnav/screenshots
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:21 AM   #350
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Charlie Wilkes View Post
More than anything, the metro UI reminds me of Packard Bell Navigator, from the mid-90s.

You're not the first to say that.

One little thing I don't think I mentioned, yet, were the little perks and advantages Windows 8 brought to C++ developers: They were given first-class support for .NET apps in the new development enviornment, among other things. The language was falling behind C# and VB.NET in previous versions.

This doesn't help the problems with the ridiculous UI. But, I thought I would mention it. Motivation to bring more types of developers into the Modern UI has its mild advantages, for some people, it seems.

Old 31st January 2013, 08:47 AM   #351
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Honeymoon over for early adopters.Windows 8 discount ending today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...counts_ending/

Report on latest MS profits.
Quote:
Microsoft's latest quarterly financial results are a mixed bag: good performance from the Windows division, but overall profits down slightly.

Redmond's revenues for the quarter are $21.46bn, with an operating income of $7.77bn and profits of $6.38bn – which, while down nearly 4 per cent, is still a sizeable chunk of change.

All eyes are on the Windows division to gauge the impact of the new operating system launch, and Microsoft reported revenues of $5.88bn, up 24 per cent on the year and up 11 per cent in the last quarter. There's no change on the "60 million Windows 8 licenses sold" data, although Microsoft did say it pre-sold $783m worth, including upgrades.

"Our big, bold ambition to reimagine Windows as well as launch Surface and Windows Phone 8 has sparked growing enthusiasm with our customers and unprecedented opportunity and creativity with our partners and developers," said CEO Steve Ballmer in a statement.
Well he would say that , wouldn't he ?

-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...mixed_quarter/
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 09:10 AM   #352
Daald
Muse

My new Windows 8 laptop arrived today... it's not as bad as I expected. Just as many have said, the familiar Windows UI, minus the start button, is underneath the idiotic phone UI.

<winkey>+i Will help speed up shutdown.
<winkey>+x Will give a very helpful menu
<winkey>+c Will brink up the charms.

Those are the shortcuts I use the most that have made me forget about the start menu.

Here is a good list of more shortcuts.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/15-essenti...oard-shortcuts
Daald is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 11:42 AM   #353
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
Didn't you have to do this in Windows 7?
Old 31st January 2013, 12:00 PM   #354
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Didn't you have to do this in Windows 7?
No. I go to Start/windows icon > shut down.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2013, 12:31 PM   #355
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
No. I go to Start/windows icon > shut down.
Why not? As you describe we lacked such a button in Windows 7 (and XP, and 98, and 95).

(I do think there has been an extra click introduced for no good reason to switch the power-off.)
Old 31st January 2013, 12:36 PM   #356
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Why not? As you describe we lacked such a button in Windows 7 (and XP, and 98, and 95).
No we didn't. What bizarre hybrid versions of Win 7 were you using? Because that isn't creating a shut down button (by shortcuts. pinning or whatever was used in Win 8 ) It clearly was already there in 2 clicks or less.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:30 PM   #357
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
No we didn't. What bizarre hybrid versions of Win 7 were you using? Because that isn't creating a shut down button (by shortcuts. pinning or whatever was used in Win 8 ) It clearly was already there in 2 clicks or less.
I think my bad phrasing has confused you, sorry.

To power off in Windows 7 required 1 mouse move, a click on the start menu and then another click on the "shutdown button". (If the default action isn't what you wanted you have to click on the arrow to open the submenu and then click on the option you want.)

To power off in Windows 8 requires 1 mouse move, a click on the settings button then a click on the power button and then a click for the choice of "shutdown" mode.)

The difference in Windows 8 and Windows 7 is at most one click and there is no difference if you don't want the Windows 7 default e.g. a restart. That is why I was wondering why it is necessary to have to create a new button for a Windows 8 "power off" if you didn't have one in Windows 7.

Now personally as I said above I don't know why they had to add in one extra click as it doesn't seem to have simplified or added anything to "shutdown" but an additional click. But it is only one (at most) additional click.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:48 PM   #358
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Now personally as I said above I don't know why they had to add in one extra click as it doesn't seem to have simplified or added anything to "shutdown" but an additional click. But it is only one (at most) additional click.
It's not so much the additional click that matters (although it might). It might also have something to do with the jarring juxposition of where they placed in the tablet UI, rather than the KVM-friendly one.

Old 31st January 2013, 01:52 PM   #359
Charlie Wilkes
Illuminator

I think my bad phrasing has confused you, sorry.

To power off in Windows 7 required 1 mouse move, a click on the start menu and then another click on the "shutdown button". (If the default action isn't what you wanted you have to click on the arrow to open the submenu and then click on the option you want.)

To power off in Windows 8 requires 1 mouse move, a click on the settings button then a click on the power button and then a click for the choice of "shutdown" mode.)

The difference in Windows 8 and Windows 7 is at most one click and there is no difference if you don't want the Windows 7 default e.g. a restart. That is why I was wondering why it is necessary to have to create a new button for a Windows 8 "power off" if you didn't have one in Windows 7.

You're right. It's not a big deal, and what I came up with is better than any version of Windows... a shortcut to a command that shuts the system down with no further prompts or input required. It's the easiest thing since DOS and the AT power supply.

"Metro" is mostly just weird and jarring. I boot into a crude, half-baked interface that is completely different from the interface I actually use, and I have to click through it. It's like trialware I can't get rid of.

Overall, though, I'm relieved. Windows 8 what comes on new computers, and I needed a new computer. My impression so far is that they haven't made any significant improvements, but they haven't screwed it up as much as I was led to believe. With Microsoft, that's as good as it gets.
Charlie Wilkes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2013, 03:10 PM   #360
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

As of yesterday, (Feb 4 2013) Windows 8 had 2.3% of all Windows computers . (No- I have no idea how they get this figure.)
At the same stage, Windows 7 had 7.7%. (Presumably of a smaller total).
It may be no Vista, but neither does it look like a runaway success.
And it's hard to see how raising the price 500% is going to help.

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 5th February 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet