JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Reply
Old 1st January 2013, 01:47 PM   #121
Kid Eager
Illuminator
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by EvilQuest View Post
I'd probably enjoy responding to the rather bizarre OP, but unfortunately i have no idea what the hell it's on about.
Eschew your enjoyment no longer - your above statement proves that you are eminently qualified to participate in this thread!

Just so we can get the seating arrangements sorted, will you be Asking Questions, Making Assertions, or Providing Answers? You can only choose one - we don't want anybody to get confused(er), do we.....
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 02:06 PM   #122
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Let's have a game of Ghosts, one of the better word games.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 02:10 PM   #123
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin (the one in Ireland)
Posts: 10,865
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Every worldview takes a posture of skepticism and/or disbelief toward other worldviews, and a posture of belief toward something. Even atheism. It takes a posture of belief toward science.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that you guys try to pretend you don't. You try to pass yourselves off as the smart-kid clique... too 'bright' to take a posture of belief toward anything. Just fess up and adapt already.

There's plenty wrong with the atheist / skeptic movement, I mean you're only human. Practicing scientism doesn't exactly seem to be elevating, transforming, expanding your consciousness.
A rather pathetic strawman argument; the reason sceptics embrace science is that science has evidence and reproducibility on its side. Unlike religion, "mysticism", the supernatural and similar claptrap

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
And what the hell does "elevating, transforming, expanding your consciousness" even mean, speaking scientifically?
Using psychoactives and pretending that the resulting hallucinations make him special.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 02:15 PM   #124
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
A rather pathetic strawman argument; the reason sceptics embrace science is that science has evidence and reproducibility on its side. Unlike religion, "mysticism", the supernatural and similar claptrap

But it can take you to day trips to the dark side of the Moon and take a stroll inside a mountain with a goddess. Ask Limbo.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 05:14 PM   #125
devnull
Philosopher
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,034
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
I'm shocked to find that a nay-sayer on this forum could feel the way you do about it.
So, your logic now is that you are correct because someone is telling you that you are wrong?

Delusion is as delusion does I guess.
__________________
no, i don't think i need to read naturalistic literature more accurately, to be convinced its true. - Gibhor
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:32 AM   #126
godless dave
Great Dalmuti
 
godless dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 6,806
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Every worldview takes a posture of skepticism and/or disbelief toward other worldviews, and a posture of belief toward something. Even atheism. It takes a posture of belief toward science.
Part of being an enlightened adult is examining your worldview and seeing if it's justified. Atheism takes a posture of "belief" in science because science has evidence on its side.
__________________
"If it's real, then it gets more interesting the closer you examine it. If it's not real, just the opposite is true." - aggle-rithm
godless dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:15 PM   #127
epix
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Borgia Apartment, Vatican City
Posts: 3,123
Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
Part of being an enlightened adult is examining your worldview and seeing if it's justified. Atheism takes a posture of "belief" in science because science has evidence on its side.
Demigod: 1. A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
2. A person who is greatly admired or feared.

If you, as an atheist, entrust your life into the hands of demigods, like Lenin or Robspierre, you may wind up no better off then if you do the same with God. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your demigod upon expiring like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure and keep visiting his shrine on any Mon-Fri.

epix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:47 PM   #128
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Super Star Destroyer Executor
Posts: 2,790
Originally Posted by epix View Post
Demigod: 1. A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
2. A person who is greatly admired or feared.

If you, as an atheist, entrust your life into the hands of demigods, like Lenin or Robspierre, you may wind up no better off then if you do the same with God. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your demigod upon expiring like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure and keep visiting his shrine on any Mon-Fri.
LOL wut?
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:03 PM   #129
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 13,519
No doubt putting one's faith in a bad demigod would be stupider than putting it in an unknown whole one. Fortunately, neither is a characteristic of atheism, so the revelation seems of little use. In case the obvious had not occurred to Epix, an idea can be shared by the best and the worst. Atheists who are not communists are not guilty of their transgressions, any more than modern Christians who are not torturers are guilty of the sins of Torquemada.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:03 PM   #130
Kid Eager
Illuminator
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
LOL wut?
Architrave:

An architrave (pron.: /ˈɑrkɨtreɪv/; from Italian: architrave, also called an epistyle; from Greek επίστυλο, epistylo or door frame) is the lintel or beam that rests on the capitals of the columns. It is an architectural element in Classical architecture.

The word architrave is also used to refer more generally to the mouldings (or other elements) framing a door, window or other rectangular opening.[1]

The need to breed furbies is non-existent, as they do not breed - they are an inanimate electronix toy, which is just as on-topic to put in this thread as the initial post. Therefore ATHEISTS!
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:09 PM   #131
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,021
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
LOL wut?
bong:
Noun
A low-pitched sound as of a bell.
A water pipe used for smoking marijuana or other drugs.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 07:13 PM   #132
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 13,519
Typical atheist plot to deny furbies their very right to breed.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:43 PM   #133
Stomatopoda
Muse
 
Stomatopoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 920
Don't get bong water on your furbies or feed them munchies after midnight. They might transform into atheists.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:25 AM   #134
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
I prefer a demitasse.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:57 AM   #135
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets
 
Femke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 614
A few demi-liters of wine would not go amiss either.
__________________
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:03 AM   #136
godless dave
Great Dalmuti
 
godless dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 6,806
Originally Posted by epix View Post
Demigod: 1. A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
2. A person who is greatly admired or feared.

If you, as an atheist, entrust your life into the hands of demigods, like Lenin or Robspierre, you may wind up no better off then if you do the same with God. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your demigod upon expiring like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure and keep visiting his shrine on any Mon-Fri.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/64776020.jpg

What if I don't entrust my life into the hands of anyone?
__________________
"If it's real, then it gets more interesting the closer you examine it. If it's not real, just the opposite is true." - aggle-rithm
godless dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:26 AM   #137
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,021
Originally Posted by epix View Post
Demigod: 1. A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
2. A person who is greatly admired or feared.

If you, as an atheist, entrust your life into the hands of demigods, like Lenin or Robspierre, you may wind up no better off then if you do the same with God. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your demigod upon expiring like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure and keep visiting his shrine on any Mon-Fri.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/64776020.jpg
If you, as a theist, entrust your life into the hands of prophets, like Jesus or Mohammed, you may wind up no better off than if you do the same with Ideologues. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your prophet upon expiring, like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure, and keep visiting his shrine on any Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

I agree, epix. One should be wary of ideologues, be they religious or secular.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:28 AM   #138
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Posts: 16,021
Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
What if I don't entrust my life into the hands of anyone?
Then you wouldn't look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strawman1.jpg (50.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:05 AM   #139
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,009
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:20 AM   #140
Hokulele
Official Nemesis
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trying to decide whether to set defenses against an army, or against mole rats.
Posts: 28,016
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?

Do you have evidence that there is a single "atheist community"? There are various atheist groups, but I would suppose you would have to query each one of those to see what steps they have in place.
__________________
Yvette: "Blasty! Blasty! Blasty!"
Some person: "Why did you shoot that?"
Yvette: "Blasty! Blasty! Blasty!"

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:21 AM   #141
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 32,662
Originally Posted by epix View Post
Demigod: 1. A being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
2. A person who is greatly admired or feared.

If you, as an atheist, entrust your life into the hands of demigods, like Lenin or Robspierre, you may wind up no better off then if you do the same with God. There is historical evidence of that. Of course, you can stuff your demigod upon expiring like a teddybear, deny the reality of the grand failure and keep visiting his shrine on any Mon-Fri.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/64776020.jpg
What you don't understand is that atheists don't entrust their life to any god.

We wonder why others have this child like need to have an ultimate authority figure run your life for you.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:24 AM   #142
kerikiwi
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay of Islands NZ
Posts: 6,129
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
1. Please explain what 'the atheist community' is.
2. Please explain what 'groupthink' is.
3. Please explain why 'the atheist community' should take steps to prevent 'groupthink'.

After you have done that, your question can be addressed.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:27 AM   #143
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 32,662
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
Agreeing with reality isn't groupthink.

Using words like groupthink is groupthink.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:57 PM   #144
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin (the one in Ireland)
Posts: 10,865
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
But it can take you to day trips to the dark side of the Moon and take a stroll inside a mountain with a goddess. Ask Limbo.
But science can take you to the real moon.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:01 PM   #145
godless dave
Great Dalmuti
 
godless dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 6,806
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
This is actually an important question for each individual especially, but also for groups.

Number one is to ensure there are no authority figures. "Don't follow leaders", as Bob Dylan said.

Number two is to make sure there are no sacred texts that can't be questioned, disagreed with, discarded, or ignored.

Most importantly is constant self-reflection on what one thinks and why.
__________________
"If it's real, then it gets more interesting the closer you examine it. If it's not real, just the opposite is true." - aggle-rithm
godless dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:57 PM   #146
Kid Eager
Illuminator
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
This is actually an important question for each individual especially, but also for groups.

Number one is to ensure there are no authority figures. "Don't follow leaders", as Bob Dylan said.

Number two is to make sure there are no sacred texts that can't be questioned, disagreed with, discarded, or ignored.

Most importantly is constant self-reflection on what one thinks and why.
but that's just groupthink for your group. Therefore ATHEISTS!

Oh, hang on, was it my turn to be Limbo or Epix? I lost my copy of the roster....
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:26 PM   #147
John Jones
Philosopher
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 6,273
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
Avoiding communities based on things they don't believe exist.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:08 PM   #148
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 18,295
Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
This is actually an important question for each individual especially, but also for groups.

Number one is to ensure there are no authority figures. "Don't follow leaders", as Bob Dylan said.

Number two is to make sure there are no sacred texts that can't be questioned, disagreed with, discarded, or ignored.

Most importantly is constant self-reflection on what one thinks and why.
I'd add:
Number three: make sure that free speech is rigidly adhered to. There's no such thing as a heretic or blasphemy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:31 PM   #149
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 13,519
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
Dead easy. Since "groupthink" requires by its very definition unquestioning belief in a single error, one need simply think for oneself.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 01:36 AM   #150
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
What steps have the mystical community taken in order to get in touch with reality?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 02:38 AM   #151
gambling_cruiser
Muse
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 717
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
What steps have the mystical community taken in order to get in touch with reality?
Thats easy: none
The whole purpose of being a mystic is avoiding reality.
gambling_cruiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 05:25 AM   #152
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,192
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I prefer a demitasse.
Oddly enough I'm making demi-glace today.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 05:26 AM   #153
Craig4
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,192
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
The scientific method.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 07:35 AM   #154
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the Flanders/Nederland border.
Posts: 35,445
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The scientific method.
As opposed to the mystical groupthink method, i.e., making up crap.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2013, 12:23 PM   #155
Seismosaurus
Illuminator
 
Seismosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Banbury
Posts: 3,892
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
What steps does the atheist community take to prevent groupthink in their ranks?
There is no such thing as "the atheist community". So none.
__________________
Promise of diamonds in eyes of coal
She carries beauty in her soul
Seismosaurus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

JREF Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.