JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices


Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 05:14 PM   #1081
jerrywayne
Muse
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 517
Alaska,

You deserve a medal or something for your great post. You nailed it. And I would add that a lot of your arguments would apply as well to NAWAC's Area X visitation stories.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 05:16 PM   #1082
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
You make a good case. But you leave out the possibility that bigfoots are more cunning than deer.
More cunning than anything ever. Nary a one killed or found dead anywhere, even though they're everywhere, according to enthusiasts.

You're buying that nonsense?

Last edited by Resume; 6th April 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 05:50 PM   #1083
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
More cunning than anything ever. Nary a one killed or found dead anywhere, even though they're everywhere, according to enthusiasts.

You're buying that nonsense?
Not really. Lol. I`m just saying. An argument needs to be without holes. And that`s actually a pretty good hole.
Afterall, these bigfoots are pictured to be like and acting like men with more hair. I mean look at Dyer`s Hank`s face. That of a man, more than an ape.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 06:45 PM   #1084
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,392
^So in the face of ABP's crushing response (nominated, btw) illustrating the magnitude of hunting, logging, and other activity in the general area of NL's claimed "thermal sightings", your reaction is "Yeah, but bigfoots are smarter than deer"? You base that nugget on the face of a foam sculpted bigfoot doll?

Come on, man. Either you're a troll of great renown or you simply aren't paying attention to what you're reading here. If these bigfoots are sooooo smart and stealthy that they've escaped centuries of hunting, trapping, and other exploration in northern Minnesota, then why on earth would Northern Lights or anyone else have been able to view them clearly on thermal cameras? Are they, like Tinkerbell, only witnessable by those who already believe?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 06:47 PM   #1085
xtifr
Muse
 
xtifr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sol III
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Not really. Lol. I`m just saying. An argument needs to be without holes. And that`s actually a pretty good hole.
Afterall, these bigfoots are pictured to be like and acting like men with more hair. I mean look at Dyer`s Hank`s face. That of a man, more than an ape.
And yet men get hit by automobiles all the time. Occasionally even when wearing a bigfoot costume!
__________________
"Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it."
-- Anonymous Slashdot poster
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore."
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 08:04 PM   #1086
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,230
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
you're a troll of great renown
I agree. Famous in these parts.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 08:44 PM   #1087
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
^So in the face of ABP's crushing response (nominated, btw) illustrating the magnitude of hunting, logging, and other activity in the general area of NL's claimed "thermal sightings", your reaction is "Yeah, but bigfoots are smarter than deer"? You base that nugget on the face of a foam sculpted bigfoot doll?

Come on, man. Either you're a troll of great renown or you simply aren't paying attention to what you're reading here. If these bigfoots are sooooo smart and stealthy that they've escaped centuries of hunting, trapping, and other exploration in northern Minnesota, then why on earth would Northern Lights or anyone else have been able to view them clearly on thermal cameras? Are they, like Tinkerbell, only witnessable by those who already believe?
That WAS a nugget. Nice choice of words.
Hank`s face or the Patterson Gimlin Bigfoot...they look like creatures that have more upstairs than a deer.
Are those loggers and hunters setting up equipment like NL?
As far as trolls go, do you think NL is on the up and up, or just toying with skeptics?....like a mental chess game?
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 08:53 PM   #1088
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,392
But what is it about "smarter than a deer" that renders one incapable of collection? Entire communities of humans have been exterminated by other communities of humans. The "bigfoots are smart, mmkay?" response is just about the simplest-minded reaction one could have to ABP's post, and it's insulting to the effort he put in to make it.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2014, 11:06 PM   #1089
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
tsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31,813
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
You make a good case. But you leave out the possibility that bigfoots are more cunning than deer.
And faster than a speeding bullet?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 12:45 AM   #1090
ComfySlippers
Graduate Poster
 
ComfySlippers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
And faster than a speeding bullet?

And with natural in-built Blur-Tech
__________________
___
Sincerely and without malice aforethought, ill will, vexation or frivolity,
Comfy: of the family Slippers
Footwear-on-the-Loungefloor

___
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 04:57 AM   #1091
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
I reviewed NL post #1066.
Who is the Sasquatch Researchers Association(SRA)? Who are they made up of?
I read that post and about the expedition in it`s entitety.
How come the recorder cable was `known to fail`, and safegards werent taken, or improvements made so it didnt fail?
I googled the SRA, and the site that describes it is they themselves. And when i click on, my phone says it cant adapt that sight to my mobile. Hmmmm.
But what i do know from the expedition story, put out by the SRA, would like you to become a member for $40. How do i not know that the SRA is comprised of say 3 guys operating out of a basement, soliciting funds to scrape up money to go on northern Minnesota(and perhaps other places) vacations with?
Just because we read a report of an outing doesnt make it so. Dyer proved that one. He had a report of how he killed Hank in San Antonio, and went into detail about the whole affair.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:05 AM   #1092
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Hank`s face or the Patterson Gimlin Bigfoot...they look like creatures that have more upstairs than a deer.
A costume and a carny gaff?
Quote:
Are those loggers and hunters setting up equipment like NL?
Setting up equipment to do exactly what? Produce indistinct images? You're not quite getting it. Humans have spent billions of man hours walking about North America armed and this has produced zero (0) bigfoot. All animals, including the human animal, make mistakes that lead to their demise. Bigfoot if real would be no different. You can't get around that.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:28 AM   #1093
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by xtifr View Post
And yet men get hit by automobiles all the time. Occasionally even when wearing a bigfoot costume!
How many people out in the wilds though get hit by cars? I bet not that many. But okay, say there are some. There would be a reason for each and every one. All of which would show inattentiveness.
Obviously the entire MO of bigfoots is their elusiveness. The care they take to keep their distance from humans. And they are only going to peek thru bushes and stuff when hearing chain saws, cars, etc. And their numbers are low. And they have intelligence.
So i can see how its possible not a one has been hit by a car.
One could argue though 'what about bigfoot young ones?' who are not as privy about humans yet. That i cant tell you. We dont know anything about their social structure, the care the adults take, or what instinct the young ones were born with.
I have never hit a groundhog with my car yet in the many states and all the miles i been driving. I dont know if i`ve ever seen one dead on the road. And i think there are way more of them than bigfoots.
The bottomline is... i think the cars encounter argument is a poor one to judge the validity of bigfoots on. That`s all.
I base all my arguments on the thoroughness of the argument. Not on if bigfoots are real or not
.
Another thought that just popped into my mind; the atgument about where`s the scat. Well, i used to be a woods trapser. When i had to go, i`d tell my friend i got to go, and got way off the trail to go. Most those woods had bottom cover and there wasnt much signs i`m sure from one person like me, leaving the trail in some random spot, to take a dump.
Then how do we also not know that they cover it up when they go, and it rapidly decomposes?
The humans to woods square yardage ratio for remote outposts of Minnesota, the Northwest territory, etc, must be a huge ratio. The odds of even people walking their same territories must be low.
The fact Northern Lights stumbled across perhaps a colony of about 8?(whatever this number is based on) is interesting, and maybe more info will be forthcoming...and/or i will review this thread i have only briefly visited, a little more thoroughly when time permits.
.
And i would like to know more about who this SRA is.
Years ago, my dad formed a mailorder company out of our house. Stationary, letterheads...sounded like some big company. Lol
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:42 AM   #1094
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
So then perhaps you wonder that if i state my case based on the argument, and not the validity...then why dont i state a similar good case on behalf of a tinkerbell?
Um. A little TOO far farfetched. No similar genetic creatures ever have been found to have existed.
But with a bigfoot..and this is the reason for why ANYONE thinks something like this could remotely exist, and why they would even go pay to see a dead one(lol)... is we know there are chimps, gorillas, man, there were hairier Neanderthals, etc. So people think...''Well?...ya never know.'' lol.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:46 AM   #1095
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
How many people out in the wilds though get hit by cars? I bet not that many. But okay, say there are some. There would be a reason for each and every one. All of which would show inattentiveness.
Obviously the entire MO of bigfoots is their elusiveness . . . I base all my arguments on the thoroughness of the argument.
Obviously not, if you imagine this purported "elusiveness" is thorough.

Animals are hit in by vehicles all the time, even in the "wilderness." The reason is that these animals (which include the human animal) make judgement errors based upon perceptions that might be incorrect. Bigfoot, if it were real would be subject to these same errors.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:55 AM   #1096
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Now if there was a group in say Africa, promoting rare sitings of say unicorns...now that could be more intriguing than toothfairies, because we know there are horses, zebras, and horned animals.
You never know. Lol.
If someone started such a site on the internet and unicorn watch associations, and all that....we would be having similar arguments with them as with Bigfoot. Blurry film footage, the whole 9 yards.
The trouble though with unicorns, which would be a little more damning, is that at least one can argue intelligence as contributing why bigfoots arent sited more, nor evidence. Where unicorns would not be as expected perhaps to be as elusive. Also, they wouldnt be a creature known to hide in the woods like a bigfoot, as monkeys like the jungle, where horses like the savanahs.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:58 AM   #1097
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
.
Another thought that just popped into my mind; the atgument about where`s the scat. Well, i used to be a woods trapser. When i had to go, i`d tell my friend i got to go, and got way off the trail to go. Most those woods had bottom cover and there wasnt much signs i`m sure from one person like me, leaving the trail in some random spot, to take a dump.
Then how do we also not know that they cover it up when they go, and it rapidly decomposes?
This is amusing. How much time and calories would be expended covering up all signs of defecation? How about hair? How do you imagine footie polices up all the hair it must shed in a lifetime?
Quote:
The humans to woods square yardage ratio for remote outposts of Minnesota, the Northwest territory, etc, must be a huge ratio. The odds of even people walking their same territories must be low.
I've been to these places, and while they are wild, remote, not so much. Anymore, or historically. They've been walked over for eons now. Did you know when Farley Mowat did his wolf/caribou research at Windy Lake he found that the trappers in the region accounted for far more damage to the deer than the wolves? This in the Nueltin region of Nunavut where there were/are no roads. Unless you count all those rivers and lakes that First Nation people used as roads.

Last edited by Resume; 7th April 2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: punctuation
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:59 AM   #1098
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Obviously not, if you imagine this purported "elusiveness" is thorough.

Animals are hit in by vehicles all the time, even in the "wilderness." The reason is that these animals (which include the human animal) make judgement errors based upon perceptions that might be incorrect. Bigfoot, if it were real would be subject to these same errors.
Gol. Bigfoots arent your everyday dopey animal. They are more like cunning people. Only they have more hair. And there are millions time fewer of them than people, so the odds of discovering them, or hitting them, goes way way down.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 05:59 AM   #1099
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Now if there was a group in say Africa, promoting rare sitings of say unicorns...now that could be more intriguing than toothfairies, because we know there are horses, zebras, and horned animals.
You never know. Lol.
Someone else take a turn.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:00 AM   #1100
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Gol. Bigfoots arent your everyday dopey animal. They are more like cunning people. Only they have more hair. And there are millions time fewer of them than people, so the odds of discovering them, or hitting them, goes way way down.
Would you mind addressing the post?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:03 AM   #1101
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 14,511
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Gol. Bigfoots arent your everyday dopey animal. They are more like cunning people. Only they have more hair. And there are millions time fewer of them than people, so the odds of discovering them, or hitting them, goes way way down.
Except when they mosey across the bow of 2 men on horseback in broad daylight...when the deep woods are right there...

Cunning, that is...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:12 AM   #1102
s4zando
Muse
 
s4zando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
So then perhaps you wonder that if i state my case based on the argument, and not the validity...then why dont i state a similar good case on behalf of a tinkerbell?
Um. A little TOO far farfetched.
No similar genetic creatures ever have been found to have existed.
But with a bigfoot..and this is the reason for why ANYONE thinks something like this could remotely exist, and why they would even go pay to see a dead one(lol)... is we know there are chimps, gorillas, man, there were hairier Neanderthals, etc. So people think...''Well?...ya never know.'' lol.
Someday I hope that coming to terms with this contradiction (my bolding and highlighting) becomes a new area of focus for all BF apologists.
s4zando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:33 AM   #1103
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
This is amusing. How much time and calories would be expended covering up all signs of defecation? How about hair? How do you imagine footie polices up all the hair it must shed in a lifetime?


I've been to these places, and while they are wild, remote, not so much. Anymore, or historically. They've been walked over for eons now. Did you know when Farley Mowat did his wolf/caribou research at Windy Lake he found that the trappers in the region accounted for far more damage to the deer than the wolves. This in the Nueltin region of Nunavut where there were/are no roads. Unless you count all those rivers and lakes that First Nation people used as roads.
This is all so funny.
Here people come on a website, spending all kinds of time, not to proclaim to the world how they made a great discovery...but rather to waste time arguing over why something don`t exist.
It`s obviously simply a game of matching wits with someone, is what it is. Lol.
Okay, the scat. Lots of calories expended doing this? Really now. I wonder what percent of all calories burned in their day, that this comprises of?
.
The hair. You got me, in that one. Hmmm. The hair. Well, bigfoot researchers think bigfoots habit is to repeatedly use same trails? Is that what chimps also do in the jungle and hair traces, or perhaps even a mat of it is left? ??? Dont know. Maybe google has something about this.
.
Indians. Rivers. No roads. Man affecting deer more than wolves. Hmmm. Dont even Indians have stories in their heritage about bigfoots? Cant remember if that is just a legend or not.
.
I dont know. I wish Northern Lights would keep enlightening more here. Or like i said, i wil review more of the thread. I should be working right now, rather than playing around with this nonsensical stuff, and/or where nothing fruitful gets accomplished. One could argue that its fruitful dispelling the myth of bigfoot. Yet, it appears nobody can acually unequivically do that to where say Wikipedia says it has been proven that bigfoots dont exist.
If you could lay claim that you say were instrumental in something like this, then one could gleefully rub their chest.
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:40 AM   #1104
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,230
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
One could argue that its fruitful dispelling the myth of bigfoot. Yet, it appears nobody can acually unequivically do that to where say Wikipedia says it has been proven that bigfoots dont exist.
If you could lay claim that you say were instrumental in something like this, then one could gleefully rub their chest.
Wikipedia will also show you that the extinction of Tyrannosaurus rex has not been proven. The first guy that does that will be famous and he might make some money off it too.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:55 AM   #1105
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
This is all so funny.
I quite agree with you.
Quote:
Here people come on a website, spending all kinds of time, not to proclaim to the world how they made a great discovery...but rather to waste time . . .
Fine, what's your excuse.
Quote:
The hair. You got me, in that one. Hmmm. The hair. Well, bigfoot researchers think bigfoots habit is to repeatedly use same trails? Is that what chimps also do in the jungle and hair traces, or perhaps even a mat of it is left? ??? Dont know. Maybe google has something about this.
Google Bryan Sykes/Bigfoot DNA.
Quote:
Indians. Rivers. No roads. Man affecting deer more than wolves. Hmmm. Dont even Indians have stories in their heritage about bigfoots? Cant remember if that is just a legend or not.
I'm sure you have a point here . . . perhaps not.
Quote:
I dont know. I wish Northern Lights would keep enlightening more here. Or like i said, i wil review more of the thread. I should be working right now, rather than playing around with this nonsensical stuff, and/or where nothing fruitful gets accomplished. One could argue that its fruitful dispelling the myth of bigfoot. Yet, it appears nobody can acually unequivically do that to where say Wikipedia says it has been proven that bigfoots dont exist.
If you could lay claim that you say were instrumental in something like this, then one could gleefully rub their chest.
We're off topic again anyway.

Perhaps this could be moved to "Follies."
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 07:00 AM   #1106
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,179
Does anyone remember the title of this thread?
Better question, does anyone care about the title of this thread?
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 01:28 PM   #1107
Monza
Alta Viro
 
Monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,279
OK, back to the topic of this thread, I have a question for those who believe the PGF shows a real Bigfoot. Perhaps this has been discussed before, but what I want to know is... What happened to the suit?

I don't mean the suit seen in the film. Let's assume that this is truly a real unknown hominid known as bigfoot. But when Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin stumbled upon this creature they were in the area to film Roger's movie. There is some earlier footage of them riding around and of Gimlin in costume as the Indian tracker. So for this film/pseudo-documentary/or whatever, where is the suit they planned to film? It seems illogical that Roger would plan such a film without a pay-off scene, a climax where the intrepid hunters would find the beast.

If the PGF shows a real bigfoot creature, where is the suit for the fictional film?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 02:00 PM   #1108
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,392
People who believe the film shows a real bigfoot tend to conveniently forget (or dismiss out of hand) that Roger had purchased a suit and was intending to film a bigfoot movie featuring a guy in that suit. If I recall correctly, we know that Roger purchased some kind of gorilla costume from this guy, although few people think that this costume actually is what we see in the PGF. I'd say the consensus is that Roger cannibalized parts of this costume for his own creation, or used the Morris costume to help him figure out how to make his own.

Long-time member Kitakaze claimed here that he had made connections that culminated in him finding THE suit, i.e., the one in the PGF, and that it has been kept as a valuable curio all these years by an individual connected to the film.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 02:39 PM   #1109
Northern Lights
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Long-time member Kitakaze claimed here that he had made connections that culminated in him finding THE suit, i.e., the one in the PGF, and that it has been kept as a valuable curio all these years by an individual connected to the film.
Let me get this straight, I make a "claim" without anything more than that and I get torn to pieces, but a "long time member" makes a claim without anything more and it's golden? Just making sure I've got my facts in order.
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 02:51 PM   #1110
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,230
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Let me get this straight, I make a "claim" without anything more than that and I get torn to pieces, but a "long time member" makes a claim without anything more and it's golden? Just making sure I've got my facts in order.
Here let me tear into The Shrike...

Thinking that Kitakaze had proven that the costume is sitting at DeAtley's house is as stupid as thinking that Bigfoot exists.

Stupid. Stupid. There.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 03:37 PM   #1111
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,179
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Here let me tear into The Shrike...

Thinking that Kitakaze had proven that the costume is sitting at DeAtley's house is as stupid as thinking that Bigfoot exists.

Stupid. Stupid. There.
If he's correct it's not DeAtely. Someone else.
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986

Last edited by GT/CS; 7th April 2014 at 03:38 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 03:40 PM   #1112
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,179
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Let me get this straight, I make a "claim" without anything more than that and I get torn to pieces, but a "long time member" makes a claim without anything more and it's golden? Just making sure I've got my facts in order.
You get torn to pieces because your claim is utterly ridiculous, and it tends to morph as the storytelling goes on.
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 03:46 PM   #1113
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,230
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
If he's correct it's not DeAtely. Someone else.
Oh, I read that Brett declared that it was inside a glass case at Al DeAtley's house and that Kit tried to pursue that.

You read otherwise?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 04:40 PM   #1114
xtifr
Muse
 
xtifr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sol III
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Let me get this straight, I make a "claim" without anything more than that and I get torn to pieces, but a "long time member" makes a claim without anything more and it's golden? Just making sure I've got my facts in order.
Kit got a lot of criticism for his unsubstantiated claims, from both sides. Unsurprisingly, the skeptics did a much better job of criticizing than the footers.

However, there's a fundamental difference between a mere unsubstantiated claim, and the idea that the PGF shows a real creature that exists in what can only be defiance of the laws of physics and biology. I hate to keep harping on it, but no fossils, bones, scat, hide, nor hair pushes BF into the real of the essentially-impossible, which is a whole different place from the merely-unproven.

It's possible (as this forum demonstrated) to doubt Kit's claims without believing that the PGF shows anything but a man in a suit. (As for your claims, they're a bit off-topic in this thread, but similar logic applies.)
__________________
"Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it."
-- Anonymous Slashdot poster
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore."
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 04:40 PM   #1115
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,179
Kit told me otherwise.
__________________
SweatyYeti or Bill Munns would be my vote for looking at this - BFSleuth @ BFF
I've got plenty of common sense! I just choose to ignore it. - Calvin; October 15, 1986
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:13 PM   #1116
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Would you mind addressing the post?
Just got in the house.
Which post?
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:18 PM   #1117
Resume
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,703
Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Just got in the house.
Which post?
It's off topic. Why don't you post this up in the Follies thread.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 06:30 PM   #1118
Iamme
Philosopher
 
Iamme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 6,141
These bigfoots that are as high up as Minnesota and points farther north...do they build campfires in the winter and store food? Or do they hybernate?
__________________
I lost my mind many years ago and it hasn't affected me a bit...a bit..a bit..a bit.

Last edited by Iamme; 7th April 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Iamme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 07:21 PM   #1119
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past 'Resume Speed'
Posts: 13,428
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Let me get this straight, I make a "claim" without anything more than that and I get torn to pieces, but a "long time member" makes a claim without anything more and it's golden? Just making sure I've got my facts in order.
Do you think the claim that a costume exists, is just as outrageous as a claim that there is an undocumented North American primate ( lots of them .... ) running around ?

Which of these is not like the other?
__________________
" The main problem I have with the idea of Heaven, is the thought of spending
eternity with most of the people who claim they are going there. "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th April 2014, 07:51 PM   #1120
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator
 
LashL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 31,880
Mod WarningThe discussion has gone very far afield from the thread's topic (which is the Patterson Gimlin film), and there are other threads for other aspects of 'bigfoot' related discussions, so this thread is being closed for clean up until a member of the Mod Team has the time to do so. In the interim, as always, do not start new threads on the topic. You'll have to wait until this one is reopened.
Posted By:LashL
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2001-2013, James Randi Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.