JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 2nd February 2013, 01:34 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

There are a lot of chicken and egg hypotheses on whether walking came first or not.

I think one hypothesis was interesting in that the brain requires a lot of cooling and it took the change in gravity assist and changes in cerebral venous drainage to effect that cooling allowing the brain to develop more.

Another hypothesis that makes some sense is the loss of the strong jaw muscle attachments to the skull ridge was needed for the brain to grow bigger. In the other great apes these muscles and tendons limit brain growth.

Then of course there are the freeing of the hands hypotheses.

I believe the answer is, a lot of different changes in anatomy contributed to the evolution of the brain.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:26 PM   #42
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I guess you've never seen a hippo poop. It can fire that stuff ten meters or so.
Now there's an evolutionary just-so story I'd like to hear about. Obviously, the ability to fling poo around with your tail has a survival benefit, right?

There's a PhD awaiting the creative researcher who can outline the general theory of poo-volution.

Last edited by marplots; 2nd February 2013 at 05:28 PM.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:16 PM   #43
rofl
Scholar

Walking upright and hurling poo? Both facinating, yes, but there is another usually overlooked are of evolution that needs a bit of research and study. In the area of competing to intoduce ones genes to the gene pool and get laid a lot.

The virilty of animals compared to humans indicates that they were far luckier in evolution if the goal of the game is to reproduce and do it a lot. The libido of lions for example during the mating season in very impressive. I remember reading somewhere the male is capable of having sex a few hundred times a day. I googled around but I couldn't find any links to prove it yet. My point is that animals got a pretty good deal from evolution when it comes to their reproduction abilities. Humans have many impressive advantages but not all of them.

I saw a pair of nads on a ram not long ago and they are pretty impressive. You'd need something like that to get a of sheep pregnant during the breeding season. High five for evolution.

Ironically any human with sexual prowess that distinguised himself from the competiton to mate and breed would probably be so busy that he would not have time to go and hunt food for his harem anyway.
rofl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:07 PM   #44
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Humans are alone with chimps having free cycling estrus
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:28 PM   #45
Baffled
Critical Thinker

I'm left wondering:

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
So why are there still monkeys?
What's a "still monkey"?
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:21 PM   #46
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
I'm left wondering:

What's a "still monkey"?
It's the kid you hire to guard the operation when you make a run into town to buy more sugar. The kid is placed in a tree with a walkie talkie and lets you know if the revenuers show up.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:38 PM   #47
Toontown
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Humans are alone with chimps having free cycling estrus
That is unacceptable. There should be chaperones present whenever chimps are having free cycling estrus.
WHAT FORCE SO IRRESISTIBLE
AS THE WILL OF FREE MEN
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:23 PM   #48
Filippo Lippi
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Baffled View Post
I'm left wondering:

What's a "still monkey"?
One that hasn't been carbonated
Old 4th February 2013, 12:36 AM   #49
Baffled
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It's the kid you hire to guard the operation when you make a run into town to buy more sugar. The kid is placed in a tree with a walkie talkie and lets you know if the revenuers show up.
Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
One that hasn't been carbonated
Oh, I thought it was this: http://shop.gestalten.com/monkey-47-sloe.html

Quote:
Monkey 47 is an extraordinary gin, distilled by Christoph Keller for Alexander Stein of Black Forest Distillers, using an old recipe with exactly 47 ingredients plus the super soft water of an own source at the Black Forest.
Distilled monkey ingredients, yum!
Old 4th February 2013, 10:45 AM   #50
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
That is unacceptable. There should be chaperones present whenever chimps are having free cycling estrus.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2013, 05:30 PM   #51
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Another hypothesis that makes some sense is the loss of the strong jaw muscle attachments to the skull ridge was needed for the brain to grow bigger. In the other great apes these muscles and tendons limit brain growth.
An episode of NOVA I believe was discussing this theory, and they implied the decline in the size of the jaw muscles lines up well with the first evidence we have of fire being used as well as correlating with when the digestive tract began to change in order to accommodate cooked meat which correlated with the shrinking of our teeth to better adapt to cooked food, all suggesting the theory with cook fires that groups would gather around the fire to eat cooked meat and food, which would lead to our tendency to tolerate each other in close proximity for extended periods of time as well as a good place to develop language for communication around the fire in such close proximity, stories/discussion/mediation etc.

I thought it was interesting and all of these developments seemed to roughly correlate around each other in the way they presented the evidence.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology