JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th December 2012, 09:28 AM   #281
carlitos
"más divertido"

Interesting. I suspect that storage might have finally caught up with my library. When I started using iTunes, there was no way that 32 or 64 gig would be even close to portable; you would have needed a whole bunch of CD ROMs to do it. I just checked and my library is 77 gig. I'm pleasantly surprised that this might now fit on a small storage card.

I'm about to scan a whole bunch of 78's into a lossless format. I'm pleased that I'll be able to keep them safe on a card.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2012, 11:53 AM   #282
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I'm about to scan a whole bunch of 78's into a lossless format. I'm pleased that I'll be able to keep them safe on a card.
I highly recommend this free program: Trader's Little Helper.

Very simple to use for encoding/decoding audio files, and will also generate fingerprint files so you'll know if your data is ever corrupted.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 10:07 AM   #283
carlitos
"más divertido"

Thanks, but I don't have a virtual windows machine any more.

I just downloaded Google Chrome browser for my iPhone, and this is the first time I've ever been informed of "age restricted content" on the App Store. I had to press a button to indicate that I was over 17. Is this Apple playing silly games with Google?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2012, 11:06 AM   #284
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Thanks, but I don't have a virtual windows machine any more.

I just downloaded Google Chrome browser for my iPhone, and this is the first time I've ever been informed of "age restricted content" on the App Store. I had to press a button to indicate that I was over 17. Is this Apple playing silly games with Google?
This article says that all third-party browsers are carrying an age warning/restriction (presumably this would be an actual restriction if parental controls are set up).

I think the [reasonable] justification might be that Safari is included in the IOS parental controls which allow certain apps to be turned on/off while the third-party browsers are not. So, putting the restriction into the app store is how the parental controls can be enforced.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:38 PM   #285
carlitos
"más divertido"

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet