JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 17th September 2014, 04:53 AM   #1481
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Minor correction- he says he and other people can not.

I bet 100 quatloos he could if he wanted or considered it would be more profitable than saying "nope, can't be done". I also bet 4000 quatloos that all pro FX make up / costume folks, plus a lot of amateurs, could build Patty costumes.

Note Munns left some fire escapes like:
"Hoaxers would not shoot a film like that."
"The actor would not be able to walk along Patty's path."
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 05:00 AM   #1482
Drewbot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I took this pic 10 minutes ago of the JREF REPLY screen. Two magazines I inexplicably keep here at my office are kinda blocking the shot. Both proudly and shamefully, I go way back.
You took what pic?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 07:55 AM   #1483
Paul Holland
New Blood

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Welcome aboard JREF. Well, nobody knows better than the BFF folks that both Dyer and Patterson are hoaxers. Patterson escaped, if you will, before his mouth could make ever greater fools out of the people who believed him. He sold rights to the film to multiple parties and that's outright fraud. Had he lived, he'd have faced a lot of discrediting he evaded by dying.

So it isn't that they "don't get it". But that feigning plausible deniability is easier with Patterson. They do indeed have to distance themselves from the most obvious sociopaths.
Yes! So well put. Thanks ABP!
Paul Holland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 05:37 PM   #1484
HarryHenderson
Muse

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
You took what pic?
I'm an idiot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140916_164932.jpg (74.8 KB, 13 views)
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2014, 05:52 PM   #1485
Ook
New Blood

Classic cover......Patterson even faked Gimlin.

But later on in time...he faked fake Gimlin.
Ook is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #1486
wicked_ways
Muse

Lightbulb A deal for you HH!

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I'm an idiot.
Pshaw! and Pfft on that idiot idea.
You have TWO of those magazines!!
(I am sure you are as surprised and delighted as me. )
Yup, I think it is more than pretty cool.

Quote:
To repeat, in 500 pages of his book delusions of grandeur, Bill Munns has decreed by "Order of His Own Little World", apparently, that Patty is absolutely a REAL F&B Bigfoot before she's a costume from someone better at it than Bill Munns. What a deluded freak he must really be.
Yes, you are quite right. 500 pages of it, and it continually oozes out on the
forum too. His benign deity attitude is so......words fail me now.
(After changing "pours" to "oozes", slimy is a good word for Munns' attitude.)

Listen HH, I can get 4,100 quatloos from Correa Neto if I just do a couple of small tasks.
Mr. Neto says "all PRO FX", but I think a few thousand of the top special effects artists would satisfy him.
Dammit, subtract 100 of those quatloos, Munns will never say he could make
a Patty costume. Munns is just too damned smart to do that. <cough>

So, will you take 4000 quatloos for one copy of Argosy?
Your choice of course.
No?
I do not know if I could part with one either.
I will be content just knowing someone who has TWO copies(2! I Say) of that Argosy.

Last edited by wicked_ways; Yesterday at 12:40 PM. Reason: add cough
wicked_ways is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #1487
wicked_ways
Muse

off topic a minute.

I have been with this Bigfoot thread awhile. Over 5 years. (she can do math!)
Never have I needed the laughs I get here as I have the past few days.

On Monday, I had to make the decision to put my beloved dog MiniMe out of her misery.
Such a terrible phrase, but it will have to do.
She was fourteen years old and she was obviously not well.
My daughter and I took her to the vet, and he kindly gave us the options.
We chose to let her go.
Best. Dog. Ever. (look in my avatar )

I had a colonoscopy scheduled a month ago on Tuesday.
Drank all the prep (Golytely...not) in between Monday evening and early Tuesday.
I called Monday afternoon to make sure my transportation would be here to pick me up, and
take me to the hospital for the procedure.
Detroit VA transportation did not pick me up.

That's right. I drank the horrible solution (third time I have had to do it) and waited
in the bathroom and in bed for no good reason.

Before anyone writes a country western song about it, (it would be a good 'un)
I just wanted to thank my Bigfoot buddies for making me laugh.

This is not the first time the Bigfoot peeps have brought me out of a depression (maybe "bad run" is better),
and it probably won't be the last, but thank the FSM for all of you (as WP calls 'em)
crazy skeptics.

Best. Thread. Ever. In. History.
I am not prone to hyperbole. ever. in history.
LOL
wicked_ways is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #1488
The Shrike
Master Poster

Please accept my condolences, wicked ways. Last week we were in a similar situation - and same sad outcome - with our beloved, 14 year-old, best-dog-ever.

Yep, bigfootery does help get one's mind off things now and then. Some folks even turn off their minds before they engage . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #1489
dmaker
Critical Thinker

WW, sorry for your loss. It is nice to see you keeping your chin up, though.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #1490
Paul Holland
New Blood

So sorry, Wicked. Bigfoot has been a distraction for me as well. We just need to be sure we stay on the right side of it. All the best.
Paul Holland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #1491
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry for your loss WW.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #1492
wicked_ways
Muse

Thank you TheShrike. When I see that avatar I remember a bird special where they
showed a shrike at work. "you wait right here, I will be back". A tough little bird, just
like my 10 pound dachshund.
Well, alright, my dog did not have a killer heart. If she ever caught one of those squirrels she despised so much....what would Mini do?
She was furious at them.

dmaker, thank you for that. Keeping my chin up is very much what I am doing.
Remembering the joyful parts instead of dwelling on the fear of sad feelings.
Coming to this thread instead of the Implications of Scottish Independence.

What was I gonna do? I must think I am pretty damn smart. hehehehehe I just keep giggling about that.

Feeling low? Need something to do? Think you are pretty smart?

Then go to the forum where the smartest and best critical thinkers
in the world (not hyperbole ) hang out.
No! Don't read up on how the new forum is getting worked out. <snicker> No time.
Go directly to the one thread where these brilliant thinkers (and others) who actually know the Implications of Scottish Independence and start asking them to fill you in
on what you need to know.
Then, announce you are a Yes vote.

The day before this historical vote. Timing is critical.

Hours later....
Of course, I got an education.
I learned about "Sic a Parcel of Rogues"
A song that protests bitterly about the Union of Scotland and England in 1707. from CraigB.
and went to bed.
What a great forum.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #1493
dmaker
Critical Thinker

You're a Yes then? I'm very curious to see how this pans out. I imagine the Yes votes will carry the day. I'm fascinated to see how the politics and legalities play out afterwards.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #1494
wicked_ways
Muse

Originally Posted by Paul Holland View Post
So sorry, Wicked. Bigfoot has been a distraction for me as well. We just need to be sure we stay on the right side of it. All the best.
Hello Paul. Yes, staying on the right side of it. You get it. Thank you.

Now, on to your first post.
You obviously know your Bigfoot!

Just noticed what you said about Hang Ten feet.
This is what I thought too. So clearly cartoon like.
Cheap mummery.

I am very glad you decided to jump through the looking glass.
There is more reading. Yes!

For staying on the right side, time for sleep.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #1495
wicked_ways
Muse

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
You're a Yes then? I'm very curious to see how this pans out. I imagine the Yes votes will carry the day. I'm fascinated to see how the politics and legalities play out afterwards.
Yes, I am a Yes.
(couldn't help that)

I am with you on what happens afterwards.
The great uncoupling.

And, the big question, will I still be able to cast Coronation Street?
I suspect so, but one can never just assume.

Old Today, 04:34 AM   #1496
The Shrike
Master Poster

We have, of course, spent many brain cells discussing the merits and demerits of the Patty suit. What the heck was wrong with Ivan Marx that made him think anyone would waste any time analyzing his suit? What did Roger know that Marx didn't?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:44 AM   #1497
Drewbot
Illuminator

http://yakimabigfootroundup.blogspot.com/

I think we should bombard this party with Jreffers

It would take our mind off all of our routine daily stuff.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:25 AM   #1498
dmaker
Critical Thinker

^^ Honestly, is it just me, or does there seem to be a high ratio of obesity in bigfootin'?
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #1499
Drewbot
Illuminator

Obesity is related to depression, and sleep disorders.
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #1500
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wicked_ways View Post
Listen HH, I can get 4,100 quatloos from Correa Neto if I just do a couple of small tasks.
Mr. Neto says "all PRO FX", but I think a few thousand of the top special effects artists would satisfy him.
Dammit, subtract 100 of those quatloos, Munns will never say he could make
a Patty costume. Munns is just too damned smart to do that. <cough>

...snip...
Not so fast. I also left a fire escape!
I wrote
I bet 100 quatloos he could if he wanted or considered it would be more profitable than saying "nope, can't be done". I also bet 4000 quatloos that all pro FX make up / costume folks, plus a lot of amateurs, could build Patty costumes.
Never said Munns will never say he can't!
Never said all FX folks would say they can!
The quatloos are safe. Heck, they are not even mine. They are actually from a seekrit donor.
Learning with the masters...

Sorry for your loss...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #1501
Paul Holland
New Blood

Originally Posted by wicked_ways View Post
You obviously know your Bigfoot!
How could I not, after 1,000 pages! (Give or take a hundred or so.) I knew a bit beforehand, to be sure, but any gaps have been filled well beyond my brain capacity

I've been meaning to stomp outside in my bare feet to see if walking toes really imprint the ground that cleanly and evenly. But of course, if mine don't, it doesn't mean a Bigfoot's wouldn't...

Of everything I've seen over the past several years, the image that most strikingly reality-checks Bigfoot's existence was one with Loren Coleman standing next to a "full-size" taxidermy-style Bigfoot figure in his museum. We always see images of Bigfoot out of context, never with humans alongside. That photo made it so comically obvious that these creatures are not hiding in our midst that it ought to be the skeptic's calling card. In fact, it might make a neat avatar in about 40 or so posts.
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #1502
Paul Holland
New Blood

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
^^ Honestly, is it just me, or does there seem to be a high ratio of obesity in bigfootin'?
Not to mention website illegibility.
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #1503
comncents
Scholar

....and Good-N-Plenty consumption
comncents is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #1504
GT/CS
Illuminator

And beer drinking
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #1505
GT/CS
Illuminator

http://yakimabigfootroundup.blogspot.com/

I think we should bombard this party with Jreffers

It would take our mind off all of our routine daily stuff.
Hmmmmm, I just submitted for funding of a funeral home remodel in Yakima. If it gets approved soon I may need to take a trip up that way in a few weeks.
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #1506
Paul Holland
New Blood

yakimabigfootroundup.blogspot.com
They should've tried a little harder on that new logo. There's still plenty of room left for the kitchen sink.
Old Today, 10:33 PM   #1507
HarryHenderson
Muse

I wonder how many of these insane Bigfoot round-ups/conferences (and every one with the usual suspects) people go to before they get a clue and say "Gosh, Meldrum was saying that same **** 10 years ago. Hmmm that's odd." Even if you deeply "believe" in the lunacy, isn't there ever a time when it all starts to make less and less sense? Or it simply gets old? No, cause BLAARGing? For that matter, has Don Meldrum even said anything of import regarding Bigfoot in the last 35 years? Not a bleeping thing I'm aware of. The only thing I know he's done Bigfooty is to pretend he's throwing "science" at Bigfoot for money.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal