JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags elevatorgate , evolutionary psychology , feminism , rebecca watson , sgu

Old 2nd March 2013, 07:52 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
If this is him, he's a member since 2003.

http://forums.randi.org/member.php?u=1265
That's him. He and his wife did indeed come on the Galapagos trip with us.

Is this seriously yet another Watson drama?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd March 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:49 PM   #42
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Everyone who even dares to question the grand wizard is banned.
Good thing outrageous, idiotic and simply wrong hyperbole isn't against the MA here, eh? Yeah, it's largely a ain't-we-grand party over there but dissent does occur. Unless you're a doctor of ophthalmology and can self-test your own eyesight, you need to hie thyself to the nearest eye clinic.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:52 PM   #43
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I'd rather send him a direct email... It will advise him to "Grow Up", ...
I'm hard pressed to think of any other exhortation that is more likely to get him to completely change his views. ()N

Methinks you need to take your own advice.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:55 PM   #44
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by s_pepys View Post
hi all. i have been a keen listener for a few years but recently am saddened by their reluctance to even mention the current questions about the skeptism of one of their presenters.

i think if they dont address this they will lose a lot of their listeners. i, for one, am finding it difficult to listen with credibility these days.

i know they are all friends but surely a skeptical podcast should have critical thinking at its core and no-one should be above questioning.

lxxx
This is an extremely vague post that screams, "Look at me! I'm an insider!" Can you spell it out?
Old 4th March 2013, 10:06 AM   #45
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Good thing outrageous, idiotic and simply wrong hyperbole isn't against the MA here, eh?
Quite. The mods here are very generous and over time it has proven to add to the conversation.

But then, the topic of conversation is rarely a controversy involving Randi. It must be hard for PZ to make these mod decisions on his own in threads about him where he is hosting the bandwidth. One can not expect them to be entirely rational decisions, but as skeptics we expect our fellow skeptics to be a bit less . . . emotional. That isn't always fair.

Quote:
Yeah, it's largely a ain't-we-grand party over there but dissent does occur.
I did see this once when a ruckus was aroused by the following question: PZ; great skeptic or greatest skeptic?

Only a few were banned. /sarcasm

Quote:
Unless you're a doctor of ophthalmology and can self-test your own eyesight, you need to hie thyself to the nearest eye clinic.
Too true, but my reading has not yet suffered, and that is what I have based the above on.

And I'm not a medical doctor, not at all. I simply picked the name to highlight the silliness of appeals to authority: anyone can be a doctor on the internet!
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2013, 06:59 AM   #46
s_pepys
Muse

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
This is an extremely vague post that screams, "Look at me! I'm an insider!" Can you spell it out?
im not understanding what you mean, sorry?
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptics Guide to the Universe