JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 27th February 2013, 09:43 PM   #361
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I really don't know. Maybe we both just suck at Google Fu?

Maybe

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post

Thanks very much! I really try to avoid those sorts of sites, but I admit I do succumb from time to time.

For the most part my only exposure to Carlos' work has been her movie work on A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Tron. If I love "Switched On Bach" as much as I think I will, maybe it will prompt me to take out a personal loan and buy the CD on Amazon. Carlos claims on her site that Amazon lets you "test drive" the tracks, but as far as I can tell the samples have been disabled.

Subotnick's Golden Apples is similarly hard to track down but at least I have heard several tracks from that on an old episode of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on BBC Radio 6. Anyone else listen to that show?
Old 12th March 2013, 05:09 AM   #362
Shankly
Scholar

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
Curiously enough Curved Air I had never heard
I dread to think what watching Sonja Kristina at a tender impressionable age would have done to me!
White male, 56. I can recall very clearly seeing Curved Air with Sonja Kristina at that impressionable age playing at Liverpool Stadium in the 70s - her stage costumes were pretty revealing!!
Shankly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2013, 05:37 AM   #363
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shankly View Post
White male, 56. I can recall very clearly seeing Curved Air with Sonja Kristina at that impressionable age playing at Liverpool Stadium in the 70s - her stage costumes were pretty revealing!!
I am the proud owner of a (sadly very short) Curved Air dvd. She was very lovely...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2013, 05:42 AM   #364
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
My computer plays the opening lyrics to Dr Sardonicus when I startup:

"You have the world at your fingertips"

It's even more appropriate now than it was when I first put it on a Windows 3.1 machine back in the early 1990s.

Love White Bird, but the rest of It's A Beautiful Day was pretty much a miss for me.

My picks:

Triumvirat: Spartacus
Strawbs: Hero & Heroine
Both of the above are concept albums, and have generally been on my MP3 players for the last 14 years.
Renaissance: Turn of the Cards. They never developed much of a following outside New York and Philly, but at their top from 1971-76 they were breathtaking.
Gentle Giant: Octopus. Definitely a band that stretched the envelope and then some, this is certainly their most listenable album.
Pink Floyd: Ummagumma. Yeah, it's Floyd, so it's hard to say "forgotten" but I have never heard any of the songs on this LP played on the radio.

Just about any fusion album from the 1970s would qualify; my picks for classics are:

Return to Forever: Romantic Warrior and the album with the bird on the cover (with Sometime Ago and What Game Shall We Play Today).
Billy Cobham: Spectrum
Mahavishnu Orchestra: The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire.
Synergy: Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra. Larry Fast's breakthrough work on the synthesizer. Of course, it's hard to say it's forgotten because nobody knew it originally.
Good call on Renaissance - though I'd have gone with their live album.

I believe Larry Fast joined up with Nektar for their recent reunion...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts