JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Old 18th April 2014, 01:34 PM   #5921
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, what bliss!
It's followed by Samson and Delilah!
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #5922
Jabba
Graduate Poster

- I've been trying to put it all together in one post. This might do it.
- Could be that all you guys need to read are #s 14, 15, 25 & 26.

- My Argument – I had something of an “epiphany” when I was 14 that seems to have been the results of a holistic version of Bayesian statistics applied to my own interesting existence. I came to the “realization” (or at least, the conclusion) that I am immortal.

1. Almost all of us take our own existences for granted – never noticing the miracle of miracles that each of us is.
2. We never notice the astonishing implications of our own existences. We never see the forest for all the trees.
3. The truth seems to be in the recesses of our holistic hemisphere.
4. Given the “popular” analytic and scientific orientation, the probability of my own current existence is “zilch” – yet, here I am!
5. And, almost no one notices the miracle that I am -- or, that they are.
6. And, the power(?) of this miracle is almost impossible to communicate.
7. But, in the face of it, the popular analytic/scientific orientation mentioned above is surely wrong.

8. I’ll be trying to use the binary version of the Bayes Theorem to disprove the popular scientific hypothesis that individual consciousnesses (“selves”) can exist for only one finite time.

9. The formula: P(A|me) = P(me|A) P(A)/(P(me|A) P(A) + P(me|~A) P(~A))
10. Where
10.1. "A" is the hypothesis that each potential human “self” (or, each potential illusion of a human self) exists for one finite period of time, at most.
10.2. And, “me” is my current existence (or, my current illusion of existence).
11. The numbers I propose to insert (my premises):
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
11.2. P(A) = .99
11.3. P(me|~A) = .50 (not sure that makes sense…)
11.4. P(~A) = .01
12. And, P(A|me) = (1/∞).99/((1/∞).99+(.50)(.1)) = 0

13. I think that my critical premises above are 4.1 and 4.2; i.e. that
13.1. The number of potential selves (or, illusions)
13.1.1. Is infinite, and
13.1.2. I am a special case.
13.2. There is reasonable doubt that A is correct.
14. #2 is based upon a lot of questionable evidence.
15. However, if I’m correct about #1, #2 requires very little in the way of evidence.

16. Many scientists in relevant fields have concluded that the sense of a lifetime-continuing self is an illusion.
17. But then, even if the continuing self is some kind of an illusion, it is something that I (and many other such illusions, I assume) wish to continue after death of the physical body.
18. And, according to popular science, even if the self is some kind of illusion,
18.1. The illusion never existed before the life of my physical body, and
18.2. It will never exist after the death of my physical body.

19. Neither did this sense of self have any “representation” (blueprint?) prior to its actual existence.
20. In other words, there was no limited pool of potential selves that it was taken from.

21. Consciousness is an emergent property of a certain type of physical state.
22. Its emergence inherently includes the sense of a specific self.
23. And, this sense of specific self is “brand new” -- again, it had no prior representation at all.
24. While the various “characteristics” of the self (intelligence, morality, physical strength, etc., etc.,) have been determined by specific DNA and experience/environment, such is not the case for the continuing and separate awareness (sense) of the self.

25. Having no kind of previous existence, or representation (not coming from any limited pool of potential selves) – being “brand new” in that sense – even if the matter, energy and/or time available is limited, there is no limit on what specific awarenesses of self will emerge.
26. In other words, the specific possibilities are unlimited – or, infinite.
27. And, given the popular scientific opinion above, your likelihood of a current existence is no better than 7,000,000,000/∞. (7 billion being a rough estimate of the current number of human selves.)

28. But then, I am also a special case – and, if you have the same sense of self-awareness as do I, you are a special case as well.
29. I (however) am the only “thing” that I know exists (one way, or the other). Everything else could be my imagination – but there necessarily is something here doing the imagining. Me.
30. Besides, if I didn’t exist, there “might as well” be nothing -- and according to the popular scientific hypothesis, that would have been the case for all the time before my existence and all the time after my existence…
31. And, if I never exist – which the popular scientific hypothesis should probably expect -- there might as well never be anything… See what I mean?
32. That is what makes me (and probably you) a special case – and the likelihood of my current existence, given the popular scientific position, must be just 1/∞ (zero).
33. In other words, the scientific hypothesis must be wrong.

34. And then, even if I can’t validly claim that I am a special case, 7,000,000,000/∞ is also zero.

- So -- ask, or complain, away. As always, I will try to deal with one question or complaint at a time -- the one I think is most important.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #5923
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post

<snip>

If, by "it", you mean the same garbage that was contained in your previous 717 posts then, yes, that will do it.

- So -- ask, or complain, away. As always, I will try to deal with one question or complaint at a time -- the one I think is most important.

The only question that comes to mind is "Why do you think simply repeating yourself ad nauseum will make your ridiculous claim any more valid?"

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #5924
Aepervius
Philosopher

Quote:
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
How many time againw ere you told this is non sense ?

Also what is your #1 and #2 ? Because I might see a #11.1 but #1 and #2 are this :

Quote:
1. Almost all of us take our own existences for granted – never noticing the miracle of miracles that each of us is.
2. We never notice the astonishing implications of our own existences. We never see the forest for all the trees.
Which are astonishingly vapid and lead to nothing whatsoever for your claim.

And if you meant #11.1 and #11.2

Quote:
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
Yeah that one has been contested, and so far as I can see demolished.

Is this groundhog day ? have we gone back 21st November 2012, 09:29 PM and I missed it ?

Do you even take TIME to read what you were told ?

"Could be that all you guys need to read are #s 14, 15, 25 & 26."

Could it be that all you need is to read what was already told you.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #5925
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...

- My Argument – I had something of an “epiphany” when I was 14 that seems to have been the results of a holistic version of Bayesian statistics applied to my own interesting existence. I came to the “realization” (or at least, the conclusion) that I am immortal.

4. Given the “popular” analytic and scientific orientation, the probability of my own current existence is “zilch” – yet, here I am!
7. But, in the face of it, the popular analytic/scientific orientation mentioned above is surely wrong.

8. I’ll be trying to use the binary version of the Bayes Theorem to disprove the popular scientific hypothesis that individual consciousnesses (“selves”) can exist for only one finite time.

10. Where
10.1. "A" is the hypothesis that each potential human “self” (or, each potential illusion of a human self) exists for one finite period of time, at most.
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
11.2. P(A) = .99
11.4. P(~A) = .01

13.1.1. Is infinite, and
15. However, if I’m correct about #1, #2 requires very little in the way of evidence.

16. Many scientists in relevant fields have concluded that the sense of a lifetime-continuing self is an illusion.
17. But then, even if the continuing self is some kind of an illusion, it is something that I (and many other such illusions, I assume) wish to continue after death of the physical body.
18. And, according to popular science, even if the self is some kind of illusion,

19. Neither did this sense of self have any “representation” (blueprint?) prior to its actual existence.
20. In other words, there was no limited pool of potential selves that it was taken from.

23. And, this sense of specific self is “brand new” -- again, it had no prior representation at all.
24. While the various “characteristics” of the self (intelligence, morality, physical strength, etc., etc.,) have been determined by specific DNA and experience/environment, such is not the case for the continuing and separate awareness (sense) of the self.

25. Having no kind of previous existence, or representation (not coming from any limited pool of potential selves) – being “brand new” in that sense – even if the matter, energy and/or time available is limited, there is no limit on what specific awarenesses of self will emerge.
27. And, given the popular scientific opinion above, your likelihood of a current existence is no better than 7,000,000,000/∞. (7 billion being a rough estimate of the current number of human selves.)

28. But then, I am also a special case – and, if you have the same sense of self-awareness as do I, you are a special case as well.
29. I (however) am the only “thing” that I know exists (one way, or the other). Everything else could be my imagination – but there necessarily is something here doing the imagining. Me.
30. Besides, if I didn’t exist, there “might as well” be nothing -- and according to the popular scientific hypothesis, that would have been the case for all the time before my existence and all the time after my existence…
31. And, if I never exist – which the popular scientific hypothesis should probably expect -- there might as well never be anything… See what I mean?
32. That is what makes me (and probably you) a special case – and the likelihood of my current existence, given the popular scientific position, must be just 1/∞ (zero).

34. And then, even if I can’t validly claim that I am a special case, 7,000,000,000/∞ is also zero.

- So -- ask, or complain, away.
As always, I will try to deal with one question or complaint at a time -- the one I think is most important.
Good Morning, Mr. Savage! I hope you are enjoying your Sunday in a way you find appropriate.

It is important tat you realize that all you have said is that you want to feel as if you are immortal, therefore it makes sense to you to feel as if you are immortal, no matter what the evidence of reality appears to indicate.

It would be difficult to produce a more clear example of assuming the consequent than your post #15.

BTW, it has always been rude of you to answer only one question, pretending that the others were not even posted; it is, however, exceptionally rude to excuse doing so by claiming that you will only answer the question you think is "most important"....

Did you ever repair, or at least apologize to "Roger" and to Dr. BLackmore for, the lies you told them?

Last edited by Slowvehicle; Yesterday at 11:04 AM.
Slowvehicle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #5926
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Why are you pretending that it was never explained to you that there's no such thing as a "holistic hemisphere"?

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #5927
John Jones
Philosopher

There it is. The fringe reset we've been expecting.

NOTE: Spelling errors are left intact for the benifit of those having no other rejoinder.

Last edited by John Jones; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #5928
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

So, back to posting the same old crap all over again, just as if it had never been posted and discussed extensively before. God forbid this thread actually move forwards at any point. It's only been 149 pages and the best part of 2 years.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #5929
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...not where I seemed, nor was calculated to be...but no-one need worry...
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So, back to posting the same old crap all over again, just as if it had never been posted and discussed extensively before. God forbid this thread actually move forwards at any point. It's only been 149 pages and the best part of 2 years.
You have my sincere sympathy, if this thread has been "the best" of your last two years...
Slowvehicle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #5930
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My Argument – I had something of an “epiphany” when I was 14 that seems to have been the results of a holistic version of Bayesian statistics applied to my own interesting existence. I came to the “realization” (or at least, the conclusion) that I am immortal.

Are you really still labouring under the delusion that you are the only person who has ever had this epiphany? I had it when I was about eight. I imagine almost every even slightly thoughtful child has the "just think of all the things that had to happen for me to exist, what were the odds, I must be very special indeed" revelation. The difference is that almost all of them realise very quickly the logical error they are making. You seem unable to grasp it, no matter how many times it is explained to you.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #5931
Giordano
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
^^^This!

You captured it all, alright, but without a single change in response to the actual facts that everyone else here has tried to tell you. It is just as wrong as before. Perhaps it is even more wrong than ever; an insistence on a falsehood in the light of truth is even more wrong than in the absence of truth. The unwillingness to respond to corrections is what makes this religion, not science.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #5932
Giordano
Master Poster

Jabba,

Just a few questions about your theory:
Are there more people on Earth now than 10000 years ago? Yes or no?

If more, where did their new consciences come from?

If made de novo, why are some of us freshly made and others reincarnated?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #5933
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

There's really nothing to ask or complain about. You haven't said anything new. You've just restated all your old, debunked nonsense. You haven't even really pretended to change any of your terms. I hope you're enjoying Easter. This is a great day for family, and not necessarily the best day to earn the derision of anonymous internet posters.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #5934
Giordano
Master Poster

Jabba,

You seem to have confused this Forum with a billboard. It is a discussion. You have refused to respond to criticisms either with corrections, or a discussion of why you were right after all. So, what is the point? You first stated you were here to prove immortality. Clearly you haven't. Not to anyone here as a participant or lurking. So, what is the point? Advertising.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #5935
John Jones
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Jabba,

You seem to have confused this Forum with a billboard. It is a discussion. You have refused to respond to criticisms either with corrections, or a discussion of why you were right after all. So, what is the point? You first stated you were here to prove immortality. Clearly you haven't. Not to anyone here as a participant or lurking. So, what is the point? Advertising.
Here's my guess. I'm not even sure I believe it myself:

Jabba has just recapped all his ineffective points these last 18 months or so into one post. He has done this in the hope that one of the PhD's he has contacted via email will read it and agree to the brilliance of his position.

Think of the time we might have saved had his most recent affront been in his OP, rather than 5900 posts in.

NOTE: Spelling errors are left intact for the benifit of those having no other rejoinder.

Last edited by John Jones; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #5936
Aepervius
Philosopher

Talking

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Honestly I have been expecting it earlier.

"I want, and this is my last and most dear wish, I want that the last of the king be strangled with the guts of the last priest" (Jean Meslier / 1664-1729 / Testament)
A very early french atheist, a catholic priest in life.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #5937
John Jones
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Honestly I have been expecting it earlier.
We've gotten it earlier, but in [Jabba's words] "baby steps".

Today we got the Grand Mal fringe reset.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #5938
jt512
Muse

11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
The one premise, above, can replace your whole argument. Everything else is obfuscation. Your argument is simply this: You believe your existence would be impossible unless you are immortal. But, you exist. Therefore, you are immortal. Bayes' Theorem adds nothing to your argument.
jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #5939
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
The one premise, above, can replace your whole argument. Everything else is obfuscation. Your argument is simply this: You believe your existence would be impossible unless you are immortal. But, you exist. Therefore, you are immortal. Bayes' Theorem adds nothing to your argument.
I believe I am immortal, because I believe my "soul" exists, and is "immortal".
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #5940
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Could it be that all you need to read is the rest of the thread?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #5941
Giordano
Master Poster

Jabba,

Where is B in your equation? I thought you gave up on A? Or was it you gave up on not A? I got confused.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #5942
Giordano
Master Poster

Jabba

You are still very wrong, for the reasons explained to you already in this thread. Would you like to be right? Then read this thread and respond appropriately. Or perhaps you don't care?
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #5943
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

- My Argument –

Just for the heck of it:

Quote:

Irrelevant to any proof of any sort. Also, imprecise.

Quote:

Just restating 1, really.

Quote:

Evidence shows that there is no such thing as a "holistic" hemisphere. Also, irrelevant. Something is either true or not.

Quote:

Completely wrong. Also illogically assumes the conclusion.

Quote:

Just restating 1 and 2. You actually worked on this?

Quote:

Irrelevant and imprecise. Also not true. Billions of people throughout history and on earth today believe that they are alive through miraculous intervention. Somehow, the idea got communicated to them just fine.

Quote:

This is just your conclusion again. You haven't yet stated an argument.

Quote:

Thanks for telling us what you're going to tell us.

Quote:

~A? I thought you'd given that up for B.

Quote:
10. Where

This is the first thing you've said that I agree with.

Quote:

This assumes a fact not in evidence. The fact is, according to the scientific understanding of the universe, there is no single core self. By phrasing it as though there is, you set up a false equivalency. On one side of your equation you use the word "self" to mean a constantly changing organism, and on the other side you use it to mean some core, unchanging being.

Quote:
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞

Insane. No scientist agrees that life is impossible. All scientists in the relevant fields agree that the one thing we know for certain about the universe is that life IS possible. Also, as pointed out, this is your conclusion. Once you put zero on one side, you automatically win. It's like playing War against a person who has no cards.

Quote:
11.2. P(A) = .99

Hardly matters as you intend to multiply it by zero.

Quote:

It doesn't.

Quote:
11.4. P(~A) = .01

Hardly matters as you've multiplied the other side by zero.

Quote:

Congratulations. You multiplied by zero.

Quote:
13.1.1. Is infinite, and

You're just restating stuff you just said. What's the point of that?

Quote:

Oh, no there isn't. You gave the chance of A being correct as 99%. A 1% chance of being wrong is not reasonable doubt. Also, you've done extraordinary violence to the term "reasonable doubt." Reasonable Doubt is a standard of legal proof. It's not a standard of mathematical, scientific or logical proof. It has no bearing on anything you're talking about. Can you show that Reasonable Doubt is the correct standard of proof to use here? You cannot because, it is obvious, you don't know what the term means.

Quote:

It's actually logically impossible. It also assumes your conclusion. The chance of life cannot be zero when life exists.

Quote:

And if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Quote:

Hooray for having heard somebody say something.

Quote:

Irrelevant. Wishing doesn't make something so. An argument is either true or false. Your desires have no bearing on anything.

Quote:

If by "popular science" you mean "all science," then yes.

Quote:

Of course it did. Why are siblings similar? Why do children resemble their parents? There is a very precise blueprint for each individual, though the decor may change.

Quote:

What about the limits imposed by genetics? Available womb space? Time? Energy? Matter?

But actually, I agree with you. There is no pool. Remember that: there is no pool.

Quote:

I am deeply convinced you have no idea what these words mean.

Quote:

Just restating something you said already.

Quote:

You imply a distinction where none exists. Yeah, I just quoted the damn Borg.

Quote:

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. If there is no pool of potential selves, then the pool is not unlimited. It doesn't exist. It's a null set. You can't populate a null set with anything, let alone an infinite number of things.

Quote:

Utter nonsense.

Quote:

Makes no sense whatsoever. You might as well have just punched the keyboard with your fists.

Quote:

Nonsense. Imprecise to the point of meaninglessness. You clearly don't understand where the "special case" objection fits into your argument.

Quote:

All of those words just to arrive at some half-baked Cartesian restatement? You couldn't just have typed, "I agree with Descartes" and taken a nap?

Quote:

Only so far as you're concerned. If you didn't exist, most people would hardly notice. The stars certainly wouldn't. (By stars, I mean both the celestial type and Jennifer Aniston.)

Quote:

Nope. You're talking giberish. The only person to whom your existence is necessary is you. From any other perspective, you are close to irrelevant.

Quote:

Makes no sense. None of it follows from any of it. It's just a jumble of words.

Quote:

You've alternately said that you would show your silly theory to be more likely statistically, to be essentially true, and to be true beyond a reasonable doubt. Now you're saying it must be true.

Quote:

Hooray for math.

Quote:

Complete nonsense. Also, somewhere in there, you just yada-yada-ed the objection that ~A does not equal immortality.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #5944
John Jones
Philosopher

Jabba,

The following is not a rhetorical question. Have you read the rejoinders to your posts this one day? April 20, 2014?

I realize there is a 1/∞ chance of you making an honest attempt to reply, but there it is.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #5945
xtifr
Muse

11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
No, no, no! We've been over this countless times! (But not infinity times.)

A (the standard scientific model) does not allow an infinite number of arrangements of particles in the universe, so you cannot use infinity as your divisor here, no matter how much you really really want to. It's simply wrong, and invalidates everything else.

Worse yet.

Quote:
Not only does it not make sense, but since ~A is "everything that's not part of the standard scientific model", it actually is infinite in scope, so here is where you would insert a divisor of infinity!

P(me|A) = incredibly tiny but finite number.
P(me|~A) = 1/∞

So, now, which seems more likely again?
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #5946
Humots
Thinker

What took you so long? I remember noticing my existence, and being astonished by it, at the age of 5. However, while I found my existence a surprise, I didn't consider myself special. I remember being able to summon that surprise for years, though I seem to have lost the knack in my old age.
And how does "I am immortal" follow from "I exist"?
As has been shown many times, that is not the valid way to view your existence. You are not "aces". You are not special. You are a face on a very large die that happened to come up.
Many people have noticed this "miracle". Me, for instance. And it is not hard to communicate. Everyone here knows what you mean.
In the face of what, exactly? Your existence?
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
Wrong in many ways, all of which have been explained to you. And you have ignored it.
11.2. P(A) = .99
11.4. P(~A) = .01
11.2 Where do you get this value? Just out of the air?
11.3 No, it does not make sense. What reason supports P(me|~A)= .50? Why that number?
11.4 Syntactically correct. Big deal.

If A = "the hypothesis that each potential human “self” exists for one finite period of time, at most", then ~A is just that: NOT A. Which includes all of those alternatives that we have pointed out many times. It could be that P(me|~A) = 0.
Loss Leader has said it: "reasonable doubt" is a legal concept, not a mathematical or scientific one. You are playing the lawyer again, just as you did in the shroud thread. And playing just as poorly.
But then, I am also a special case – and, if you have the same sense of self-awareness as do I, you are a special case as well.
Meaning your “epiphany”? Are you saying that only people who have had this "epiphany" are immortal? Actually, that's probably quite a lot of people.
-
[- So -- ask, or complain, away. As always, I will try to deal with one question or complaint at a time -- the one I think is most important.
How dismissive and insulting.

We are not complaining. We are pointing out flaws. And as always, you ignore us.

If this is what you are sending to Dr. Hoerl and Dr. Blackmore, I think they will be putting you on Ignore very soon.

I could go on, but it's late, and I'm sure that everyone is writing their own critiques. Go to it, guys.
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:18 AM   #5947
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Your errors have been well-addressed by others already, but I'll jump in because you ignore almost everything said to you anyway.

There's no holistic version of Bayesian statistics. All you have is a nonsensical belief and a deep need for justification.

Quote:
We're not miracles. That's just your refusal to accept reality.

Quote:
Again, no, that's just you.

Quote:
There's no such thing.

Quote:
No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. This is complete and unmitigated garbage, as has been pointed out to you a hundred times already.

Quote:
Because no-one believes that it is a miracle, because there is no reason to believe that it is a miracle.

Quote:
This is a common property of nonsense.

Quote:
Nonsense does not falsify sense. Nonsense is nonsense.

Quote:
Yes, we know that's what you believe you're trying to do.

Quote:
10. Where
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
Which is entirely false.

Quote:
11.2. P(A) = .99
11.4. P(~A) = .01

13.1.1. Is infinite, and
It isn't. It can't be. We've been over this; your position is completely impossible.

Quote:
I'll just leave that right there.

Quote:
Nope. Science works. Nonsense doesn't.

Quote:

No evidence at all. Just wilful ignorance and self-delusion.

Quote:
That hardly matters, since they're the same completely unsupported handwavey garbage.

Quote:
Near enough.

Quote:
Completely irrelevant. No-on cares what you wish, least of all the Universe.

Quote:
Essentially correct. Except for your use of the word "popular".

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
There's no pool. But the number of distinct potential selves is necessarily finite, since the brains that produce the selves are themselves finite.

Quote:
No. Not state, process. Specifically, computational process; more specifically, brains.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Your sense of self is brain function. You brain is coded for by your DNA, and adjusted by your environment.

Quote:

Absolutely and irretrievably wrong. If any one of matter, energy, or time are limited, that places a limit on what specific selves will emerge. In fact all three are limited, as is the nature of the self.

Quote:
Completely untrue. (Since 25, is wrong, everything that follows from it is wrong.)

Quote:
Completely untrue.

Quote:
Completely untrue.

Quote:
Irrelevant.

[quote]30. Besides, if I didn’t exist, there “might as well” be nothing -- and according to the popular scientific hypothesis, that would have been the case for all the time before my existence and all the time after my existence…[/qupte]
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Completely wrong.

Quote:
3. In other words, the scientific hypothesis must be wrong.
No. You are wrong. Science is just fine.

Quote:
Irrelevant.

Quote:
You have yet to deal with a single problem with your ideas, and there are so many, many problems for you to choose from.

Last edited by PixyMisa; Today at 12:24 AM.
PixyMisa is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:51 AM   #5948
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

What is popular science?
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #5949
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
What is popular science?

A magazine, I think.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #5950
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Of course!
I KNEW I'd heard the phrase before.
Old Today, 03:42 AM   #5951
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I expect Jabba has already emailed them to ask if they think the self is an illusion.

Old Today, 03:51 AM   #5952
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
There's no holistic version of Bayesian statistics.

Jabba is using the word "holistic" in the modern sense of "rubbish", as in "homeopathy is holistic medicine".

Last edited by Mojo; Today at 03:52 AM.
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #5953
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I expect Jabba has already emailed them to ask if they think the self is an illusion.
Yet another keyboard ruined by coffee.
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #5954
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Yep. As if none of us had posted anything over the last 18 months.
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #5955
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
Yep. As if none of us had posted anything over the last 18 months.
Welcome to the background radiation of the Rich Savage ExperienceTM...
Old Today, 06:25 AM   #5956
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Just to reiterate once again, because I love repeating myself:

Quote:
While the various “characteristics” of the self (intelligence, morality, physical strength, etc., etc.,) have been determined by specific DNA and experience/environment, such is not the case for the continuing and separate awareness (sense) of the self.
The self consists of the characteristics of the self and nothing else. The characteristics of a thing are what make up that thing.

Quote:
You already know this isn't true in the scientific model. There is a limit on what specific awareness of self will emerge, because the awareness of self is one of the characteristics of the self. This limit is imposed by biology.
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #5957
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

There are no words pictures.

Help me out here, you guys.

Old Today, 07:57 AM   #5958
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
There are no words pictures.

Help me out here, you guys.

A Hutt eating its own tail?
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #5959
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Working in background . . .

Old Today, 08:05 AM   #5960
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Working in background . . .
A Hutt rising from its own ashes?

JREF Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology