JREF Homepage Swift Blog Events Calendar $1 Million Paranormal Challenge The Amaz!ng Meeting Useful Links Support Us
James Randi Educational Foundation JREF Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
Click Here To Donate

Notices

Welcome to the JREF Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.

Tags microsoft , upgrade , Windows 8

Old 11th November 2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator / JREF Forum Liaison

Windows 8 - upgrade from Release Preview

Just thought I'd add a tip here in case anyone is like me and wants to upgrade their preview Windows 8 to the released version. According to the setup programme it can't be done, you have to do a new install and all you can keep is your files. Which I wasn't very happy about as I've been using my Win 8 preview as my main PC for several months because it was so stable and fast.

If you are using the download version of Win 8 release you can upgrade - so don't believe the lying piece of software! A quick edit to a configuration file and it will - successfully - upgrade preview to release.

The steps are very simple when running setup choose the option to install from a media type (I used a 4Gb USB thumbdrive I had hanging around). Once the files are copied onto that go into "sources" and look for a file called "cversion.ini", open that and you'll see a section called [HostBuild], simply alter the MinClient number to match the build number showing up on the bottom right of your desktop screen, then run setup.exe from the "sources" folder and hey presto you can upgrade your preview version.

Not found one problem with doing this but of course I am not liable for loss of data or sanity if it goes wrong for you!
If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 1918-2008
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Just thought I'd add a tip here in case anyone is like me and wants to upgrade their preview Windows 8 to the released version. According to the setup programme it can't be done, you have to do a new install and all you can keep is your files. Which I wasn't very happy about as I've been using my Win 8 preview as my main PC for several months because it was so stable and fast.

If you are using the download version of Win 8 release you can upgrade - so don't believe the lying piece of software! A quick edit to a configuration file and it will - successfully - upgrade preview to release.

The steps are very simple when running setup choose the option to install from a media type (I used a 4Gb USB thumbdrive I had hanging around). Once the files are copied onto that go into "sources" and look for a file called "cversion.ini", open that and you'll see a section called [HostBuild], simply alter the MinClient number to match the build number showing up on the bottom right of your desktop screen, then run setup.exe from the "sources" folder and hey presto you can upgrade your preview version.

Not found one problem with doing this but of course I am not liable for loss of data or sanity if it goes wrong for you!
So you are quite happy with W8?
Are you using the touchscreen features, or not?
Apart from cosmetic stuff, do you find any differences (pos or neg) from W7?
I'm probably about to buy a new laptop which can have either 7 or 8 installed. I would not "upgrade" to 8 , as I've heard of no good reason to, but nor do I have any reason to reject it. If you have used it this long, you must be reasonably happy with it, but is it significantly better / worse than 7 in you opinion? Any backward compatibility problems, for example? Printer drivers missing? etc.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
OnlyTellsTruths

Darat was clearly trying to get us arrested for violating fine print in some EULA somewhere!!

Maybe Soapy is in on it too with that bump of seemingly innocent questions.

Old 19th November 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
varwoche
Philosopher

UI expert Jakob Nielsen's take on Win8:
Quote:
With the recent launch of Windows 8 and the Surface tablets, Microsoft has reversed its user interface strategy. From a traditional Gates-driven GUI style that emphasized powerful commands to the point of featuritis, Microsoft has gone soft and now smothers usability with big colorful tiles while hiding needed features.

The new design is obviously optimized for touchscreen use (where big targets are helpful), but Microsoft is also imposing this style on its traditional PC users because all of Windows 8 is permeated by the tablet sensibility.
having two environments on a single device is a prescription for usability problems
One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen
the new look sacrifices usability on the altar of looking different than traditional GUIs. There's a reason GUI designers used to make objects look more detailed and actionable than they do in the Metro design
designing for the "modern UI style" seems to guide designers to create applications with extraordinarily low information density
Spot on.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Spot on.
Dang straight! Spot-freakin'-On!!!

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Pantaz
Muse

My sister is starting a new job, and will be receiving a new laptop. I'm cautiously optimistic that their IT department has a standardized drive image (with Win7). Otherwise, I fear she'll be stuck with Win8 -- meaning *I* will be stuck with helping her "transition".
Pantaz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:39 AM   #7
davefoc
Philosopher

I went over to my parents house to set up their new Windows 8 computer for them.

What a friggin disaster that I'm not sure what to do about right now.

These people just want a computer for email, browser, word processor and looking at pictures. The have exactly zero need to deal with something like this and every reason not to want to even if with considerable effort they might be able to.

I think I am going to recommend they take the computer back and get one with Windows 7 if the retailer is willing. I noticed that HP was saying initially they wouldn't provide any support for people that revert their Windows 8 machines to Windows 7 but they seem to have softened that stance now. Only Windows 8 Pro allows a reversion to Windows 7 for free and I'm not sure that any OEM installations of Windows 8 can be transitioned to Windows 7 for free. So if anybody is involved in the purchase of a computer for people that are in the marginally computer literate range, I would suggest to not even consider a Windows 8 machine. If Microsoft doesn't do something about this, it is probably time to consider Linux or Apple for people who are just not up for this large a transition.

It was a bit painful to switch my Dad from Outlook Express to the Windows Live Mail that was required when his new computer had Windows 7 on it. On Windows 8, Microsoft no longer provides support for POP3. They insist you use IMAP. OK except the ISP provides minimal support for Windows 8 and even, with considerable effort after I figured out how to add an IMAP account to the mail program it didn't work and in typical Microsoft fashion the error message provided exactly zero assistance with figuring out why.

I realize that some of you might be asking why my parents don't use webmail. Their son has been suggesting it for at least five years and they just don't friggin want to change. Every time they have gotten a new computer 90% of the problems in setting it up have been dealing with transitioning the email.

Overall, WIndows 8 should come with a warning. The hassle of converting to this operating system is going to far exceed the benefits for a lot of users.

As for my personal use, I'm not sure. I might not mind learning the intricacies of a new interface but so far I saw exactly zero advantages of the new interface beyond this notion that it is neat to have the same interface on your tablet, smart phone and PC. But is that true? Maybe the environments are different enough that it is better to have different interfaces? Maybe the best people to judge Windows 8 are people that are regularly using smart phones and tablets right now (which I don't).

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 27th November 2012 at 07:41 AM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

JREF Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet